Can you buy cigarettes right away?

Shilky

My mom is a smoker and wants to buy cigarettes on board since they are cheaper. When she buys them can she take them right away, or do they deliver them to your room at the end of the cruise? She heard they do this when you buy liquor and was just wondering.

you can take them to your stateroom right away. They usually have some good deals if you buy more than one carton. Just remember, you can one carton duty free when coming back into the US port. You could also pay the duty on them at the port if you want.

Depends on which cruise line.

Some hold them until the end of the cruise and others let you take them right away.

I'm not a smoker so am not sure which cruise lines allow you to take them but if you ask on the CC forum for your cruise line, you should be an answer.

Well ... Royal Caribbean hasn't (yet) been sued over someone over-indulging with tobacco and falling overboard.

You should be able to take them right away, though of course the shop won't open until the ship gets out into international waters. Also read up on the customs limits. Unless they've changed (and they might ... I'm not a cigarette smoker so I don't keep up on it), you are not allowed to go over on your cigarette allowance when leaving the ship (no duty ... extras are destroyed if customs wants to call you on it).

So you can't bring back alcohol but you can tobacco?

:mad:

Doesn't sound very fair to me!

That's correct.

As to the other poster's reference to law suits:

I wonder if anyone sued Princess when they had the fire 'reportedly' started by a cigarette on the veranda. I believe a gentleman died in that fire and others certainly were negatively impacted.

My husband smokes - yes I too hate the habit so let's not go there - but he has purchased cigarettes on every mainstream line and has always been able to bring them back to his room. Of course, the brands are limited so if she smokes something other than the 5 or 6 they carry she is out of luck.

That fire on Princess doesn't mean it was caused by a cigarette that was purchased on board. You are allowed to bring your own cigarettes and lighter with you.

Depends on which cruise line.

Some hold them until the end of the cruise and others let you take them right away.

I'm not a smoker so am not sure which cruise lines allow you to take them but if you ask on the CC forum for your cruise line, you should be an answer.

Princess will hold the cigarettes until the last night or 1st thing in the morning! Bring enough with you!

Accoprding to the CDC, as of January 2011 the Number 1 cause of death to Americans is obesity-related illness.

As soon as they start the lawsuits against the cruise lines for causing that, we will stop allowing you to take food back to your cabins.

Accoprding to the CDC, as of January 2011 the Number 1 cause of death to Americans is obesity-related illness.

As soon as they start the lawsuits against the cruise lines for causing that, we will stop allowing you to take food back to your cabins.

OMG - imagine not being able to bring back giant plates of food to eat in my room after just having dinner in the dining room.

Tell Mom that where she can smoke on board that ship is very limited. And even in 'legal' smoking areas, she will be complained to about smoking.

That's just the way it goes now days.

You can buy cigarettes for her and bring them in to the US under your own allowance, but your desire to do so is a personal matter.

I buy both cigarettes and liquor. As soon as the ship is out to sea (I think it's 3 miles) they open the on-board shops. As soon as the General Store opens she will be able to buy cigarettes and take them with her to her cabin. If you have a balcony, she can smoke on the balcony. There are designated areas on the ship where smoking is allowed...specific bars, etc. and the starboard side of the pool deck. There is no smoking in the cabins. Liquor is different. You can purchase it but can't have it until it's delivered to your stateroom on the last night.

Archived