Cameras you want for your NEXT cruise.

I'm in a holding pattern on my quest to discover the perfect cameras to take on 2-3 week ocean cruises. Because of health and baggage weight issues, I decided to limit myself to one rolling carry-on bag that could -- while going to and from a cruise -- carry 1-2 camera systems, a monopod, a 5-pound laptop, and a 4-pound Canon iP-100 color printer.

On the cruise, while shooting around the ship and on land tours, I want to limit myself to about 3-4 pounds for the cameras, lenses, monopod and bag; and ensure that at least one camera is able to be carried in a front pants pocket.

On my last 2 cruises I carried a Panasonic Lumix GH1 with the 14-140 and 20 mm lenses, and a Canon "shirt-pocket" SD780 IS for walking around the ship and going places where cameras were at risk or frowned upon. This setup weighed 7 pounds in the bag and it took care of my photographic needs beautifully; but it's increasingly difficult to take all this on walking tours and take candids of day-to-day life on the ships. I also ended up adding a 2-pound 24" carbon fiber SLYK monopod with a ballhead to my luggage when I discovered that video requires a more stable platform than most humans can provide; and upgrading the GH1 to a GH2 on general principles.

Planning for my next cruise, I replaced my aging SD780 IS with a Canon S95 "front pants pocket camera" and discovered, to my delight, that up to the 8x10" prints I can produce on my little portable printer, the S95's image quality is very close to the GH1/GH2's; and it can even shoot decent videos (but not in the GH1/GH2 class) with just a 7-oz, 15" monopod to steady it; as well beautiful indoor candid shots thanks to its f2.0 lens. Thus for my next trip in May, I've reduced my cruise camera package from 7 pounds to 1 pound, and its replacement cost from about $2000 to $500.

I think that the S95 is already close to the perfect cruise ship camera, and "all" I'm looking for right now is a second camera: a 1-pound super zoom camera with at least a 20x zoom ratio, an electronic finder nearly as good as the GH1/GH2's finder (LCDs are virtually useless on bright days on the water), and print quality that's at least as good as the S95's up to 8x10s. After looking at all the available models, I don't think that this "second camera" exists yet; but I believe it will be available in the next generation of super zooms that will hopefully be available by Christmas. I believe it can be done by Canon by adding the S95's sensor and a higher quality electronic finder to an update of the SX30 IS; or by Nikon whose P500 has everything but -- in my opinion -- the sensor quality of the S95 and a viewer that's nearly as good as the GH2's; or by Panasonic or Olympus when they decide to produce a 4/3 super zoom with an internal GH2-quality electronic finder. Any of these probabilities will result in a great camera to shoot boats and long-range candids for around one additional pound of weight; and allow me to end up with a 2-pound, 2-camera, (hopefully) $1,000 system that provide all the capabilities I need for all my styles of cruise shooting.

For virtually everyone else however, I've no hesitation in anointing the Canon S95 as my choice as "2011 Cruise Camera of the Year."

I know which camera I'm going to take on my NEX cruise...

DSC01539a.jpg

:D

I may still take the A700 and a couple of lenses, but for walkabout shooting, I'll be packing this little gem!

Dave

Not a camera, but I am thinking of getting the Nikkor 18~200mm lens to cut down on the amount of junk I seem to take with me. I could then take one less zoom lens that way.

OK, its probably only a couple pounds, but, my pack is still around 28lbs by the time I stuff all of the camera gear, netbook, and other electronic goodies into the backpack.

But I am a bit turned off by $800 price tag for the lens, especially since the aperture is f5.6 at the 200mm mark; which is why I have not yet purchased the lens.

On the other hand, If I inventory the stuff I take vs. the stuff I use, I could probably off-load 5lbs or more of camera gear.

Is the Sony Nex compatible with Macs?

The NEX operates as an external storage device via USB and writes files to an SD or MS card. I'm a Windows guy but I'm pretty sure PS Elements for Mac can handle the RAW files if your Software is up to date. It writes the full HD video as AVCHD which can be edited on Macs with a converter (if not native by now since it's a mature format) or MP4 for a lower res movie.

Th Sony supplied Picture Motion Browser doesn't have a Mac version.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the info. I just installed a trail of PSE 9. Can't wait to try it out.

I am seriously thinking about this camera for my next purchase. I am itching to purchase now, but want to feel it in my hands.

Another question was should I get both lenses?

Sandy

Ideal single camera lens combo: D3s and 24-120F4.

Generally I have D3s, 24-120F4 plus I bring along a 17-35 and a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4TC. Usually include a D7000 and 18-105 as my second body, LenvoT400 with 160GB SSD. I think my backpack is around 32lbs and change after adding all the other stuff like chargers, cards, etc. etc.

I go to the gym for a reason, and when action gets fast nothing touchs the D3s, size matters :D

Oh, I got a panasonic lumix in my pocket as well ;)

Dave, thanks for the info. I just installed a trail of PSE 9. Can't wait to try it out.

I am seriously thinking about this camera for my next purchase. I am itching to purchase now, but want to feel it in my hands.

Another question was should I get both lenses?

Sandy

I got mine with just the 18-55, The compact size and two-lens kit price of the 16mm was tempting, but the 24mm equivalent focal length was too short for my tastes as a single focal length walkabout lens. I'm waiting for a longer (36-50mm equivalent?) pancake lens before I go there. The 18-55 suits me just fine for now.

I wrote an article about my first impressions here: http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/NEX5.htm

Hope it helps you decide.

Dave

I'm still quite fond of my FZ-50 [Leica lens, image stabilized] I just does not go quite wide enough.

I probably will look at something like the LX5 [or its successor] with the accessory electronic viewfinder before getting any interchangeable lens camera [sLR or EVIL]

I'm with Dave on what will be coming on my next cruise:

656669A5DE4E46C2A452A32FF67CED05.jpg

The only decision is: which of the 11 lenses I've amassed so far will come with it?!

Of course, being a camera guy, my DSLR and most of its 8 lens kit will be coming too. But the NEX is the new guy that hasn't been on a cruise yet, and will definitely come in handy for those times carrying the big DSLR isn't as convenient or as advisable.

Like Dave, I also bought just the 1 lens - the 18-55mm - the two lens kit if it were on special looks decent, but as tempting as the 16mm lens was, I will get by far the most use out of the 18-55mm range, and would rather wait for a faster prime to come out like the rumored CZ. In the meantime, I have picked up two adapters to use manual lenses - the Pentax K mount since I had an old 1970s Pentax camera kit sitting in my closet, and a Konica K/AR mount because their lenses are super-sharp, fast, and very cheap on the used market, and about as small as 35mm lenses can be (the pic above shows the Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8 lens on my NEX3).

:D Well for my next cruise............

original.jpg

Seriously, I am happy with my Canons. Canon don't seem interested in producing something similar to the NEX. So I will just be jealous of Dave and Justin.

Larry

Just came back from our first cruise aboard the Radiance of the Seas. What a wonderful experience it was.I have a 7D but decided to buy the NEX-5 with 18-55, 16mm with the ultrawide and fisheye adapter for this trip. I'm glad I did. Now I found the perfect camera for travel. Excellent jpg quality out of camera even at high ISO for indoor shots.

I also brought the 7D but probably used it less than 5% of all the photos taken.For those of you who are in the search for compact camera that gives dslr quality images, give the NEX a try. You won't be disappointed.

Some of the pics I have taken with the NEX. http://edicon.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=16665420&AlbumKey=h2Bmtw

Despite looking for a megazoom to complement my Canon S95 and replace my Luxix GH2, I just pre-ordered a Fuji X100 which bears an uncanny resemblence to the Nikon and Canon rangefinder cameras I used to pay my way through school. Although it has a fixed 35mm (equivilent) lens, the C-sensor is sufficiently larger than the sensors used on all the magazooms that I figure I can get roughly the same quality images out of the X100 that I can get out of a small-sensor megazoom set for about 300mm. What do you thnk?

Seriously, I am happy with my Canons. Canon don't seem interested in producing something similar to the NEX. So I will just be jealous of Dave and Justin.

Larry

Don't hate us because of our compact portability, Larry! Just buy a NEX! If Canon ever makes one, it will require all new accessories and lenses anyway. I consider myself a dual system shooter now and have found peace...;)

Dave

While the NEX cameras are truly exciting and fulfill many cruisers' needs, I'm still reluctant to take off on any cruise without at least one camera with a reasonably good optical viewfinder or an electronic viewfinder (EVF). Let's face it, most of us cruise to areas where the sun is shining brightly much of the time; and it's also reflecting brightly off the sea. Unfortunately, this are also the lighting conditions where even the best LCDs show images with lots of glare and faded images.

While I really believe that my Canon S95 can fulfill most of my cruising needs, and do it without adding any noticable weight, I'm reluctant to cruise without also bringing such cameras as my Lumix GH1 or GH2 (which I recently sold in the hope of replacing them with a lighter rig); or the Fuji X100 that I hope will be joining me on my next cruise in late May. If I don't have it before then I may buy a megazoom with a decent viewfinder or EVF, or even one of the small DSLRs with a light & fast prime lens, until the X100 or similar large-sensor cameras arrive on the scene.

While I started off this thread by saying I was considering buying one of the megazooms to go along with my S95, I think I'm now at the point where I will trade-off the longer lenses of the megazooms in favor of the larger sensors of the X100s and their ilk; provided that whatever I buy has the optical or electronic finder that the S95 doesn't provide.

While the NEX is a really exciting camera, I believe that like the Canon S95 with which I am very pleased, I need at least one relatively light camera with a optical or electronic viewfinder that can handle very bright conditions and glare; the weather and sea conditions many of us wish for when we cruise. One of the megazooms or the new Fuji X100 will probably fit the bill; or even one of the smaller DSLRs with a very light and fast prime lens.

Am I the only one out there that hasn't foresworn viewfinders?

While the NEX is a really exciting camera, I believe that like the Canon S95 with which I am very pleased, I need at least one relatively light camera with a optical or electronic viewfinder that can handle very bright conditions and glare; the weather and sea conditions many of us wish for when we cruise. One of the megazooms or the new Fuji X100 will probably fit the bill; or even one of the smaller DSLRs with a very light and fast prime lens.

My A700 has a very bright and clear viewfinder and frankly, I was a little cautious about the NEX's lack of one. After my first less than stellar experience with the LCD-only camera in bright sunlight, I resorted to menu diving to see if there were settings to help. Lo and behold! There it was...a "sunny day" setting that cranks up the brightness so that it is visible in almost any lighting condition. I also found that taking a piece of dark paper from a brochure and pinching the edge in the articulating LCD shades the image and makes it very usable even in direct sun. Not perfect solutions and I will likely look closely at the EVF-equipped NEX-7 coming out this fall, but they work in a pinch.

Happy shooting with whatever you end up with!

Dave

Ideal single camera lens combo: D3s and 24-120F4.

Generally I have D3s, 24-120F4 plus I bring along a 17-35 and a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4TC. Usually include a D7000 and 18-105 as my second body, LenvoT400 with 160GB SSD. I think my backpack is around 32lbs and change after adding all the other stuff like chargers, cards, etc. etc.

I go to the gym for a reason, and when action gets fast nothing touchs the D3s, size matters :D

Oh, I got a panasonic lumix in my pocket as well ;)

Sounds just like my bag except im shooting Canon!

Gripped 7D, 50D second body, 24-105, 70-200, 1.4x, 10-20, 300. It gets heavy, but I just can't decide what to leave home :)

I can't say I disagree with what you're saying in general, because I too have never traveled without a DSLR with an optical viewfinder, and would likely never do so. So with that part of the argument, I agree - I could not replace 50% of my photography needs with the NEX - only a DSLR could handle those duties, no matter what lens I tried. Even electronic viewfinders don't overly excite me, because they currently cannot replicate the speed and refresh rate and therefore not sufficient for tracking moving subjects the way I need to.

I did figure out though that for me, the S95/LX5 type cameras just weren't quite sufficient as backup cameras for me because I truly needed high ISO capabilities, and as good as they are for small sensor cameras, they just can't match what a good APS-C camera can at anything over ISO400. So that's where the mirrorless comes into play. I considered whether lack of viewfinder would bother me there - and in the end, it didn't enough to scare me off - I find the LCD screen on the NEX shockingly easy to use in bright sunlight (something I have here in Florida) and I routinely rely on that viewfinder for manual focusing old lenses under bright noon sun - with no problems. Would I love to hear that Sony has finally introduced an optional electronic viewfinder for the NEX (as it was rumored to have been planning since the camera's debut)? Absolutely...but I can live without it in the meantime. I was truly tempted by the X100 - in fact, the NEX was not on my radar until I found myself drooling over the X100 - and then beginning to consider, compare, and rationalize the NEX as a possible better option for me. The X100 has excellent performance, and an incredible hybrid viewfinder, plus a sexy classic look...but in the end, the NEX's comparable performance, added flexibility of switching lenses, excellent tilting LCD, and 1/3 the price just made it the better choice for me. I've got a NEX system with 11 lenses and adapters now, and still haven't paid 1/2 as much as the X100's price. The viewfinder, as nice as it was, just wasn't justifiable enough to pay that much more for - I felt like I got more my money's worth with the NEX.

But with the idea of living completely without a viewfinder for all of my shooting, or traveling without my DSLR...no, I don't think I could ever do that, and we're on the same page there!

Well, I know have the Nex 5 and so far has taken shots that I wouldn't normally have been able to do with my P&S. I had worried about the new P&Ss without viewfinders, but I noticed that I rarely used mine. I have come to depend on the LCD screen.

I have a lot to learn with new little gem and lots of fun playing.

Well, I know have the Nex 5 and so far has taken shots that I wouldn't normally have been able to do with my P&S.

Big time...you can do a LOT with the NEX that no P&S could muster - especially what it can do with high ISO shooting in very low light, 7 frames-per-second burst shooting, and control over your depth of field from razor-thin to huge. Enjoy - you've got so much you can do with that camera!

I'm a very big fan of the NEX - don't get me wrong when I say there are things that only my DSLR can do. I specialize in event, action, and especially bird and wildlife photography, and simply the need for huge lenses that would overwhelm the NEX body, in-body stabilization for handheld low light work, fast-tracking focus for fast-moving subjects, and an optical viewfinder for lag-free panning - those are the primary reasons I still need to have a DSLR in my arsenal, alongside my NEX. For travel, architecture, still, scenic, landscape, macro, closeup, portrait, and many other categories, the NEX can equal a DSLR...after all, it is a DSLR sensor!

Archived