Gold and Above to Receive Same Benefits for Dining and Excursion Sign-up

Dreps

He?she seem the only post who has separated self interest from the facts and applied logic to the issue. If you don't understand it...read it again.

Blue bottle,

How interesting... you have registered on CC just to point us in the right direction??

Dale and Jacob (SF Cruizer) believe she is referring to post hondorner's post #391 in thread, "will regent become two class line)...to find a posters specific post u have a few options here on CC..use search thread function (this pm off line) or put posters name in search box at top of page by CC logo and search his/her recent posts...hope this helps

Maybe Don (Hondorner) will come in and post. He's probably quite busy with with his upcoming road trip across the U.S. Don and I strongly disagree regarding the Concierge Program (and, we will have a nice debate about it at lunch prior to his Oceania cruise next month:-)

While I have been known as a "Regent cheerleader", Don comes across as a Prestige Cruise Holdings cheerleader. He has met and had discussions with top management of PCH and understands where they are coming from and why they are implementing this program. He sails on mainly on Oceania and has sailed twice (not positive of that number) on Regent.

My issue with whichever post was being referred to is that PCH are experts in the field of high end "premium" cruising, but, not in luxury cruising. The fact that someone is an expert in one field does not automatically make them an expert in another (this holds true for doctors, lawyers, engineeers, painters. . . just about any field where there are specialities). Top management at PCH (referring to FDR and Bob Binder) have been extremely successful with Oceania. Some of us do not agree that Oceania policies that are accepted by their loyal customers, will work with Regent customers since "premium" and "luxury" cruisers have different expectations.

Don, if you're reading this, feel free to disagree:-)

Welcome to Regent. The Concierge Program will not affect your cruise. It does not begin on the Navigator until May 30, 2012.

I noticed that you had booked a Cat. F suite. Are you aware that, at times, the Navigator has a lot of vibration aft? With one exception (Suite 600) all the Cat. F suites are aft and are subject to significant vibration from time to time. Regent attempted to fix the vibration problem during the Navigator's last dry dock but the fix was only partially successful. If vibration does not bother you, fine. However, if you think vibration would adversely affect your cruise, I advise moving to a Cat. E suite.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for your input. We had lunch today with 2 past passengers and they said the same abou the vibration. We are now to Cat E! Thank YOU!

We just booked our first cruise with Regent yesterday. We changed from a 14 night HAL cruise to the April 3, 2012 Navigator sailing because it seemed as though the pricing and itinerary was superior to the HAL trip. And, after our last HAL cruise, the quality of the amenities and the people on-board (yes I'm a terrible snob) had declined.

After reading these postings, I'm amazed that anyone would even want to set foot on the Regent ships! I have previously heard nothing but wonderful comments and am very dismayed to read the comments. We're in a CAT F cabin-- no we're not in a penthouse suite so why should we expect that same sort of service?

NOT trying to start an argument -- just looking forward to a cruise that many of our friends say that we will enjoy!

Thanks for your input. We are coming off a HAL cruise in the 500+ sq ft cabin category and found the the concierge service to be excellent:partly because of the hugeness of the ship and partly because we were exhausted from a work schedule. In terms of the food, lets face it-- no ship afloat has true gourmet dining and as far as cabin service goes, well, it's just another luxury hotel. For those of us who spend 150 to 200 days a year on the road, we're looking for a quiet experience with lovely surroundings, and pleasant places to visit. We looking for people around us who actually look as though they can afford the journey and are interesting conversationalists over an adult beverage or two. We are looking for a port that we don't have to fly to and is less than 2 hours from home. If we like Regent (which seems to be the plan !) then we will return. If not, we will research other cruise lines for what we feel fits our criteria.

We live in a resort area and see what happens to people when they get away from home on a vacation. We try to learn from that experience and not behave in that manner.

We also used to cruise HAL and jumped ship to Regent this year, for the same reasons you pointed out. We are on the April 3, 2012 Navigator cruise to the Coastal South and Bermuda as well. I have started a roll call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1405945. Please join the roll call there, and I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have, from someone who has been in a very similar situation to yours.

.He's probably quite busy with with his upcoming road trip across the U.S. Don and I strongly disagree regarding the Concierge Program (and, we will have a nice debate about it at lunch prior to his Oceania cruise next month:-)......Don, if you're reading this, feel free to disagree:-)

You're correct that I'm stressed out with leaving this Sunday for 4 months -- never done a long road trip like this, and I just know I'm forgetting something.

You're also correct that we disagree on this subject (and a couple of others, but we also agree on others :p). And, you're correct that we'll probably have a great time discussing it when we get together.

However, I haven't been posting on this subject for the past few days or so because I think everything has been said, over and over and over again, and I'm not willing to feed it any more. I also agree with the folks who see this endless "class" thing as destructively negative to Regent.

You're correct that I'm stressed out with leaving this Sunday for 4 months -- never done a long road trip like this, and I just know I'm forgetting something.

Don, have a great trip! We are pulling out of FL tomorrow too, heading home to Toronto for the summer. But since we've only been here 2 weeks, and have barely moved in, packing is a song, compared to you.

"I also agree with the folks who see this endless "class" thing as destructively negative to Regent."

Don - At long last, you and I agree upon something - that the class thing is negative for Regent. That is precisely why it is such an imprudent and ill-thought-out policy for Regent to implement.

"I also agree with the folks who see this endless "class" thing as destructively negative to Regent."

Don - At long last, you and I agree upon something - that the class thing is negative for Regent. That is precisely why it is such an imprudent and ill-thought-out policy for Regent to implement.

Your last sentence may well be the best one I have read on the subject. Amen!

Today, as many days, I got an email from Seabourn with their latest new enticing "sale" Went to the website and just tooled around a bit. Those of you moving over to Seabourn b/c of Regent's policies might consider in your planning that while Seabourn excursions are not included in the fare, they can be booked in advance (how far, I know not). However, you will pay in full at booking. http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-destinations/Shore-Excursions.action?selectedNavElement=FAQs

I bring this up, because so many Regent people have complained about having certain "paid" excursions being charged in advance, and not being able to use on board credits to pay for them. I had never heard of this before with Seabourn, so I think it is new. This from the website:

NOTE: To enhance our guest experience, we’re moving from a reservation based system to one of confirmed bookings for shore excursions, Journeys and pre-arranged tours, which may be purchased over the phone by calling us at 888-425-9376 or 206-626-7320, beginning April 1, 2011. Shore excursions, Journeys and pre-arranged tours may be purchased online at the time of booking, or anytime up to 3 days prior to departure. If you reserved your shore excursion prior to April 1, 2011, payment will be made via your onboard account.

Although we are fairly new "Silversea" customers, I can attest to the fact that you do NOT pay for excursions in advance. You are also not paying for excursions that you do not receive. They also do not have a two class ship. While we still prefer Regent, if the Concierge Plan goes into effect next year, this will change.

In terms of Seabourn. . . . . for those of you who do not read the Seabourn board, they are also in a state of flux. Seabourn headquarters have moved to Seattle which is also the headquarters of Holland America. They are facing a similiar situation as Regent is with Oceania. Customer Service has been affected and there is concern by Seabourn loyalists about the future of the cruise line. As a side note, Seabourn probably has the best "cruise only" prices around. However, when you add in airfare, it is another story.

As of this date, the major difference between Regent, Seabourn and Silversea is that Regent is taking a step down and adopting a two class model (typical of premium and below cruiselines).

I still have faith in the management of PCH and feel they will not impose this policy on their current, new and future customers. It is for that reason that we have not cancelled our cruises (nor have we booked new ones).

For those of us who are truly faithful to Regent, now may just be the time to show it (as well as to communicate with the parent company).

I received my large Regent view book yesterday for 2012.

While there is clear information on the new concierge program as represented here, there is no mention of modification to the program (excursions / dining) to gold + SSS members either in the concierge info or in the SSS info.

The SSS page has been amended to represent that concierge benefits are in addition to the SSS benefits e.g. phone time...

We also just received a 150+ page brochure outlining the Regent voyages for 2011 and 2012. On the cover is a notation about the NEW Concierge-level amenities that directs one to a two-page spread that is trying to sell this "distinction." So unfortunately this is the future at Regent.

We are so happy that our cruise with Regent is the South America one that goes from January through March. We will be home before the new approach falls into place. We use the word "falls" intentionally.

Thanks Olivia for sharing the new Seabourn excursion policy change. With Tom Orpington's Sojourn on board reports today and this new policy change, more than likely we will cancel our Quest maiden crossing in November. FYI, today, we did book a fall 2012 Silversea cruise....won't give specifics Olivia (u know why :)...also we're looking at the Voyager Auckland to Sydney voyage next February.

We also just received a 150+ page brochure outlining the Regent voyages for 2011 and 2012. On the cover is a notation about the NEW Concierge-level amenities that directs one to a two-page spread that is trying to sell this "distinction." So unfortunately this is the future at Regent.

We are so happy that our cruise with Regent is the South America one that goes from January through March. We will be home before the new approach falls into place. We use the word "falls" intentionally.

Thanks for your post and for staying on subject. This thread seems to go off track too easily. The announcenent of the Concierge level amenities is unfortunate. However, Regent has announced things in the past and, after thinking it through and listening to their customrs, have changed their minds. They want to do what is in the best interest of their loyal customers. A good example of this is when they made the announcement in mid-March that stated that higher level categories would have priority booking. Then, in April, they removed the provision from the program. Hopefully they will do the same with the priority excursions and dining reservations.

In the meantime, we will be on Silversea in less than two weeks and plan to make an onboard booking for next year. Unlike Regent, there is no cancellation penalty outside of 90 days.

Wes: Interesting that you are changing from Seabourn after posting about the wonderful price you received on the maiden voyage which you like so much. What is the big secret regarding your Silversea booking:eek::rolleyes::confused:

I just looked at the two page spread you refer to. The language is so over the top that it is hilarious. For example "savor the wonder that Concierge-Level Suites provide the discerning traveler". Yeah, I'm sold!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Concierge offerings. Look at it as another perk and you will be on the right track. We are booked on Regent for a Sept. 2012 Crusie and have no intention of changing our plans for such a small matter. Don't know why you all keep stiring the pot over nothing?????? Oh, yes, IMO.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Concierge offerings. Look at it as another perk and you will be on the right track. We are booked on Regent for a Sept. 2012 Crusie and have no intention of changing our plans for such a small matter. Don't know why you all keep stiring the pot over nothing?????? Oh, yes, IMO.

NOTHING??????? Think you need to re-read the thread and if you think it is nothing now, let us know after your cruise if you think it is nothing to spend tens of thousands of dollars and not be able to dine in the speciality restaurants anytime near when you wnat to and especially after you don't get to go on the excursions you want to go on!!!!

Also, the subject of this thread appears to be in doubt since regent has not acknowledged that gold and above or any other seven seas society members will be getting these stupid benefits!!!

NOTHING??????? Think you need to re-read the thread and if you think it is nothing now, let us know after your cruise if you think it is nothing to spend tens of thousands of dollars and not be able to dine in the speciality restaurants anytime near when you wnat to and especially after you don't get to go on the excursions you want to go on!!!!

Also, the subject of this thread appears to be in doubt since regent has not acknowledged that gold and above or any other seven seas society members will be getting these stupid benefits!!!

Take a deep breath:) You are correct. . . .however, the minority of long time Regent customers do not care -- especially if they are not affected (if anyone questions my "minority" statement, go back to the thread with over 20,000 reads regarding Regent becoming a two-class cruise line and count as I did).

I brought up the subject of the gold and above not being formally announced and no one seemed to care. You would think that there would be an asterisk or something with a small statement about those who will not be affected.

This subject is like walking a tightrope. While I don't want to disuade new customers from booking Regent (though it would be surprising if anyone booked based on the concierge benefits), it is still important to let Regent know our honest views. Some posters will only make positive posts. It is more acceptable somehow. I applaud the majority who have let their feelings and outrage over this new policy be known.

I concur with Avondale. There are lots of places in society where spending more gets you extra perks, whether it be AmEx's gold, platinum, and black cards, airlines (and yes, I *did* think that was an apt analogy), and banking (have enough deposits and the bank will waive all kinds of fees, including foreign transaction fees that, yes, people with fewer deposits pay for in the form of fees for them).

We're on a Regent cruise this summer and although we have paid tens of thousands of dollars, we won't get to dine in the specialty restaurants anytime near when wanted to because we didn't hop right on the reservations like the insiders and others who sought to book the moment reservations opened.

Now, I could let that ruin my entire cruise, or I could realize that I get to enjoy the company of my family in a place we have never been before, that we have our health to be able to travel, and the money to travel abroad (much less a line as nice and pricey as Regent). I choose to focus on my blessings.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but it seems that some folks are equating the concierge "level" with personal status. You can choose to let extra amenities for people who pay for them mean that those who choose to not pay are "lesser," but that is how one chooses to feel about it. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Besides, while under the new policy (not in effect for my cruise) although I might be able to get "better" reservations, I don't cruise as much because we save up money for higher level suites. Those of you who buy less expensive cabins but cruise frequently can tell me over dinner how many really cool places you have been that I haven't (or post a long list in your sig). And isn't that a form of status?

I concur with Avondale. There are lots of places in society where spending more gets you extra perks, whether it be AmEx's gold, platinum, and black cards, airlines (and yes, I *did* think that was an apt analogy), and banking (have enough deposits and the bank will waive all kinds of fees, including foreign transaction fees that, yes, people with fewer deposits pay for in the form of fees for them).

evalseraphim, you are totally and completely missing our point base on your above quote. This is NOT extra perks for spending more that is the issue. We are fine with the binoculars, pashima, discounts for booze, etc. What we are not fine with and are objecting to are those two items, restaurant bookings and excursions for which EVERYONE is paying the same price!!!

Your analogy is not apt for the above two items described above as the amount paid for everyone is the same for dining and excursions. For all the other "perks" you and many others are perfectly correct. If regent would simply remove these two items from the concierege program most, if not all of us who object whould stop complaining about this new program and continue to be regent customers as well as not be cancelling cruises over this very important issue.

Thanks tc for your support. We're on the same page; too bad all our explanations appear to be falling on deaf ears at regent and people keep ignoring a valid issue and missing the point.

......we won't get to dine in the specialty restaurants anytime near when wanted to because we didn't hop right on the reservations like the insiders and others who sought to book the moment reservations opened.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but it seems that some folks are equating the concierge "level" with personal status. You can choose to let extra amenities for people who pay for them mean that those who choose to not pay are "lesser," but that is how one chooses to feel about it. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Those of you who buy less expensive cabins but cruise frequently can tell me over dinner how many really cool places you have been that I haven't (or post a long list in your sig). And isn't that a form of status?

Since you have not read the thread, I'd would I would like to make a couple of points.

1. Many of us list the cruises we have been so people new to the boards can ask specific questions about ships, ports, etc. Some people like knowing that the poster has cruised with Regent several times which is what their opinions are based on. No status issue here.

2. Those of us who know to book reservations early are not "insiders". . . . we have good TA's (travel agents). Also, regulars on this board always recommend signing in to your account on the Regent website where you will also find the sign up dates for reservations. Is your TA familiar with Regent and their policies? Check with the restaurant when you get on board, it is likely that there is a cancellation or open spot on a day and time you desire.

3. Yes -- we do get perks based on many things. We get money back just for shopping. A great thing. Regent has always had perks for passengers in Penthouse Suites and above (Butler, etc.). As Rallydave mentioned, we do not have a problem with that. Perks that do not affect other passengers are fine with me. They could give passengers in the Master Suite a car for sailing in that suite. . .. no problem (except that I would book the Master Suite in a minute;)). When Regent first set this program out, they had passengers in lower categories boarding after everyone else. This is something done by mainstream cruise lines -- not luxury lines. They did change this when they announced the program. Now, lower cabin occupants are at the end of the line for excursions and dining reservations.

The best (IMO) excursions are limited in terms of the number of people that can take book it. The new program could make it impossible for people to book the excursions. You could be on the ship for a 50th wedding anniversary and not be able to book a table for two in Prime 7.

We cruise Regent for many reasons. They have wonderful suites, amazing service, great food. ... I could go on and on. Having a "class" system is not the same as giving perks for upper cabins. It changes the luxury cruising experience. There are people who save up for years to take one luxury cruise. . .. they cannot afford anything but the lowest suite. These are the people being sent to the end of the line.

Archived