Gold and Above to Receive Same Benefits for Dining and Excursion Sign-up

Dreps

[quote name='Travelcat2']Mimito: do you have an opinon on this? [/quote]

Do I have an opinion?

Of course I do. However, In view of the fact that my opinion has been stated using different words by others numerous times here, I have felt no need to add to, or pile on to, depending on one's point of view, the "body of knowledge" that has been building here over the course of, at last count, 3 different threads.

But since you asked so nicely, I'll bite, although I hate like heck that my biting is topping this thread once again. I beg the indulgence of all of you regulars and lurkers who are *sighing* once again.

Here are my opinions:

1. I don't mind this concierge program. I don't for one minute consider it to be the beginning of any more of a class system than already exists on Regent and other cruise lines (luxury, premium, and even lowly mass), or for that matter, any number of travel modes. For the record, I will not be booking in the concierge category because for me, the value of what is included is not that important to me.

2. I consider this move by Regent to be a business move to increase revenue, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, I consider it to be a smart move on the part of Regent. From a business standpoint, I applaud Regent for making a sweep back through to see if any money is left on the table. For that matter, I think the more money Regent makes, the better my experience will be, albeit non-concierge level.

3. Now, and you're going to love this part, TC, I would be livid at the thought that I would pay for "free excursions" that I wouldn't be able to get, or if I were unable to book "an included" restaurant.

But you know what? I don't think for a second that is going to happen. As a person with business experience, I don't believe the executive management of Regent would shoot themselves in the foot like that. I believe they will simply add to the excursions as need be. As for the restaurant, hey, when you pay more, you should be entitled to extra privileges. . .perhaps I won't get the exact day I want, but that happens to me on land at times. I also happen to think that if I ask very nicely and say that, for instance, "Tuesday is my anniversary and we so want to dine in the restaurant tonight," that I will get in. I think that is part of the luxury experience.

4. And finally, I usually subscribe to the generally accepted business principle that it costs less to keep a current customer than it is to get a new one, but with the current population expansion (explosion. . .ugh) and personal wealth increases, I don't think that Regent will have any problem filling their ships, even if 99% of the current Cruise Critic participants on Regent never book another cruise.

Sometimes I even think that it's very costly to keep the "old-guard" customers because while they fancy themselves to be "cheerleaders," in reality they scare off new, potential customers because of their [B][I]tremendous desire to maintain the status quo.[/I][/B] They go about engaging in passive-aggressive campaigns, and all that that entails.

If I were Regent I wouldn't give such people a second thought. I'd just focus on the new coming in. Trust me, a great percentage of the "new customers" will love it, even if God forbid, they're inexperienced in luxury traveling. There will always be a certain percentage that will be unhappy. . .no matter what.

So, there you have it. My opinion.

No, my message was not deleted but if I had said what was on my mind it well might have been.

Jackie: as you are well aware, none of the cruises listed are to Alaska.

This is the first time I've been to Alaska and we are three generations traveling together. I agree - it is a very busy trip so a kids program may not be necessary but it is a good way for kids to meet others their age. And for those of us not in the teaching business (and 4 of my 6 kids/in-laws are), from what I've read, the Alaska trip draws more kids than the other cruises.

What it looks like to me is a situation of 'well, we've got them so now we'll just cut the kids program".

I have been a very loyal Regent cruiser since 2003 but I am not very happy with a number of changes in the very recent days.

[quote name='rallydave']Avondale,

Who is this Mr. Conway you have contacted?? Am not aware of anyone in the regent executive suite named Conway??

And, it appears that you are happy with anything regent does that affects others. While you and others have been active in telling those of us upset with many of regent's current changes, we have not told you to stop commenting on issues we feel strongly about.

But, this is over the line from you so please STOP telling us that everything is all right with regent. The more regent does the more they are alienating at least some of their loyal customers and changing many regent things that were good in the past.

Hope you enjoy your next regent cruise when you are the only passenger with the crew left overs!!![/quote]

Sounds to me like you are pushing the envelope.

As I read many other posts besides this one, I read that most all the people are happy with Regent..

Why should we STOP telling the folks that everything is alright with Regent when we feel it is alright. Aren't we also entitled to our opinions even though you may not agree.

If the handful of naysayers keep up with the pounding as you have been and if anyone is foolish enough to listen, maybe we will be the only passengers with the crew leftovers. Absolute rubbish.

If I were the moderator/host, I would have long ago put this and similar posts to rests. After all, Cruise Critic has a presence in the world of cruising and for them to tolerate so much negativity astounds me.

Responder: First of all, I have the highest respect for Host Dan, the monitor of the luxury cruise boards. He has a heck of a difficult job to do and is not compensated for it. When he deletes my posts or anyone elses, he has a darn good reason for doing so. IMO, CruiseCritic does not care whether posts are negative or postive. . . . as long as we abide by guidelines. As suggested earlier, if you count all the posts, the concierge program is not acceptable for the majority of the posters. However, in a democracy such as CC, you can disagree as much as you care to.

Mimito: I have a couple of questions for you. How many Regent cruises have you taken? And, have you cruised on premium and/or mainstream cruiselines? I ask this in order to determine what level of service you are used to. Also, what makes you so confident that you will be able to get the excursions (or dining reservations) you want when currently there are many passengers who cannot?
I must disagree that Regent, Silversea or Seabourn currently have a class system. Since you believe they do, could you please elaborate? Last, I find it interesting that you find 100,000 regular cruisers to be unimportant to the future of Regent.

Avondale: If you sent a letter/email to Mr. Conway, I wonder who would receive it. Don't worry about Regent management -- I have no doubt that their best TA's have reported cancellations to Mark Conroy.

Peggy: You are certainly right about Regent not really needing a childrens program in Alaska. It would have been nice if the announcement came a few months ago. As I have stated many times, the Navigator does not have enough public areas for 100+ children. I truly believe that you and your family will have a wonderful time in Alaska.

Apparently, the next shoe to drop may be the revised SSS policy. While I do not know this first hand, it has been alluded to several times.

[quote name='mimito4']Do I have an opinion?

Of course I do. However, In view of the fact that my opinion has been stated using different words by others numerous times here, I have felt no need to add to, or pile on to, depending on one's point of view, the "body of knowledge" that has been building here over the course of, at last count, 3 different threads.

But since you asked so nicely, I'll bite, although I hate like heck that my biting is topping this thread once again. I beg the indulgence of all of you regulars and lurkers who are *sighing* once again.

Here are my opinions:

1. I don't mind this concierge program. I don't for one minute consider it to be the beginning of any more of a class system than already exists on Regent and other cruise lines (luxury, premium, and even lowly mass), or for that matter, any number of travel modes. For the record, I will not be booking in the concierge category because for me, the value of what is included is not that important to me.

2. I consider this move by Regent to be a business move to increase revenue, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, I consider it to be a smart move on the part of Regent. From a business standpoint, I applaud Regent for making a sweep back through to see if any money is left on the table. For that matter, I think the more money Regent makes, the better my experience will be, albeit non-concierge level.

3. Now, and you're going to love this part, TC, I would be livid at the thought that I would pay for "free excursions" that I wouldn't be able to get, or if I were unable to book "an included" restaurant.

But you know what? I don't think for a second that is going to happen. As a person with business experience, I don't believe the executive management of Regent would shoot themselves in the foot like that. I believe they will simply add to the excursions as need be. As for the restaurant, hey, when you pay more, you should be entitled to extra privileges. . .perhaps I won't get the exact day I want, but that happens to me on land at times. I also happen to think that if I ask very nicely and say that, for instance, "Tuesday is my anniversary and we so want to dine in the restaurant tonight," that I will get in. I think that is part of the luxury experience.

4. And finally, I usually subscribe to the generally accepted business principle that it costs less to keep a current customer than it is to get a new one, but with the current population expansion (explosion. . .ugh) and personal wealth increases, I don't think that Regent will have any problem filling their ships, even if 99% of the current Cruise Critic participants on Regent never book another cruise.

Sometimes I even think that it's very costly to keep the "old-guard" customers because while they fancy themselves to be "cheerleaders," in reality they scare off new, potential customers because of their tremendous desire to maintain the status quo. They go about engaging in passive-aggressive campaigns, and all that that entails.

If I were Regent I wouldn't give such people a second thought. I'd just focus on the new coming in. Trust me, a great percentage of the "new customers" will love it, even if God forbid, they're inexperienced in luxury traveling. There will always be a certain percentage that will be unhappy. . .no matter what.

So, there you have it. My opinion.[/QUOTE]

1. I'm curious, what is the multi class system that is/has existed on Regent prior to this concierge/gold program whereby people in a lower class could potentially not be able to get on tours or get dining reservations. I realize there were perks for repeat cruisers but IIRC they did not come at the expense (potential or otherwise) of other cruisers.

2-3 How did the continually looking for more ways to generate income work out for Eastern Airline employees? At some point too much is too much. See also the amazing success of the Ford Edsel.

The excursions are not free. The "free" cost is built into your fares. So while everyone is paying the same for the "free" excursions regardless of room type, those with certain rooms will have an advantage.

While Id like to agree that a business wouldn't shoot itself in the foot I would have to argue reality says otherwise. Take say GM and the UAW. Both businesses have worked very well at ruining themselves.

I'm not sure whats luxury experience for paying the same price for dining/excursions yet being told "sorry, that other pax that went concierge gets first dibs".

Just curious.

Hopefully , the brand improves and the concierge/gold pax don't ever end up costing the other pax tours and dining options.

[quote name='Travelcat2']...Using Hondorner as an example (don't think he will mind). . . He has cruised Oceania for a long time and has no problem with boarding late, making reservations late, etc. This does not feel any different to him...[/quote]
Well, actually, in this case I do mind, because you have misstated my case. In fact, you have made some assumptions and put words in my mouth (or my typing fingers, as it were).

I am not at all accustomed to the things you mentioned. In fact, it is the exact opposite. I am an experienced Oceania cruiser (91 nights so far) and have not ever experienced boarding late. In fact, despite the so-called "class" system on Oceania, I have boarded early despite my category I [U]have[/U] made dining reservations late on bot Oceania and Regent, and have always gotten my choices. On my last Oceania cruise, I didn't book any specialty reservations until I was aboard, and got all my choices within two or three minutes of sitting the reservation person. This despite the fact that Oceania has [U]always[/U] had a concierge program that grants early reservation benefits to certain categories of cabin.

That category is the middle category, a Category A veranda, which faces the same situation as the category E and D suites on Regent -- they are more expensive yet no larger than the lower staterooms, and are therefore the last ones to be booked.

No one in a lower category than concierge has ever lodged a complaint, to the best of my knowledge (and I spend as much time on the Oceania forums as the regulars on this one), that they have suffered as a result of concierge policies. It's simply a non-issue. The management at Oceania is just so good at handling these types of things, that any potential or theoretical problems do not occur.

I'm not part of that management, and I don't know exactly how they accomplish their magic, but it's certainly magical in the result. It's simple fact that it is same management that is directing the change at Regent, and I confidently predict the same result -- it will be a non-issue. If any part of it actually DID become an issue, perhaps because of the stubbornness of Old Guard Passengers, it would be quickly recognized and corrected.

TC2 has correctly stated that I'm a fan of Prestige Cruise Holdings, but it might be instructive to consider that approval. PCH did not exist when I started to sail Oceania. Apollo purchase Oceania and then Regent, and created PCH, after I began with them. What happened was that Apollo recognized the extraordinary success that Oceania management had in creating a cruise line from scratch in 2002 and raising it to exemplary standards in a very short time. In recognition of that success, Apollo has taken a "hands off" policy and moved the core management of Oceania to PCH. In other words, the management of Regent is what could easily be considered one of the most successful management teams in cruising history. I became a fan of their success!

I probably have more experience with that management than anyone else on this board, and if I'm not concerned about the new policy, that should have some effect.

It is true that I have received some privileges as a result of my attitude. However, it should be instructive that my attitude has never been that of a "toadie", and has instead been described by Mr. Del Rio as "fair to the cruise line and myself".

That's all I ask in this situation. I don't think it's fair to pre-judge and categorize something as "two-class" when nothing of the sort has been demonstrated, just postulated.

[quote name='hondorner']Well, actually, in this case I do mind, because you have misstated my case. In fact, you have made some assumptions and put words in my mouth (or my typing fingers, as it were).

I am not at all accustomed to the things you mentioned. In fact, it is the exact opposite. I am an experienced Oceania cruiser (91 nights so far) and have not ever experienced boarding late. In fact, despite the so-called "class" system on Oceania, I have boarded early despite my category I [U]have[/U] made dining reservations late on bot Oceania and Regent, and have always gotten my choices. On my last Oceania cruise, I didn't book any specialty reservations until I was aboard, and got all my choices within two or three minutes of sitting the reservation person. This despite the fact that Oceania has [U]always[/U] had a concierge program that grants early reservation benefits to certain categories of cabin.

That category is the middle category, a Category A veranda, which faces the same situation as the category E and D suites on Regent -- they are more expensive yet no larger than the lower staterooms, and are therefore the last ones to be booked.

No one in a lower category than concierge has ever lodged a complaint, to the best of my knowledge (and I spend as much time on the Oceania forums as the regulars on this one), that they have suffered as a result of concierge policies. It's simply a non-issue. The management at Oceania is just so good at handling these types of things, that any potential or theoretical problems do not occur.

I'm not part of that management, and I don't know exactly how they accomplish their magic, but it's certainly magical in the result. It's simple fact that it is same management that is directing the change at Regent, and I confidently predict the same result -- it will be a non-issue. If any part of it actually DID become an issue, perhaps because of the stubbornness of Old Guard Passengers, it would be quickly recognized and corrected.

TC2 has correctly stated that I'm a fan of Prestige Cruise Holdings, but it might be instructive to consider that approval. PCH did not exist when I started to sail Oceania. Apollo purchase Oceania and then Regent, and created PCH, after I began with them. What happened was that Apollo recognized the extraordinary success that Oceania management had in creating a cruise line from scratch in 2002 and raising it to exemplary standards in a very short time. In recognition of that success, Apollo has taken a "hands off" policy and moved the core management of Oceania to PCH. In other words, the management of Regent is what could easily be considered one of the most successful management teams in cruising history. I became a fan of their success!

I probably have more experience with that management than anyone else on this board, and if I'm not concerned about the new policy, that should have some effect.

It is true that I have received some privileges as a result of my attitude. However, it should be instructive that my attitude has never been that of a "toadie", and has instead been described by Mr. Del Rio as "fair to the cruise line and myself".

That's all I ask in this situation. I don't think it's fair to pre-judge and categorize something as "two-class" when nothing of the sort has been demonstrated, just postulated.[/quote]

As always, your points are well-stated. I will watch and wait. Not booking though until I see how it plays out. I hope all turns out as you predict.

Don, sorry if I mistated your viewpoint and/or you may have misunderstood what I said. The mere fact that you have cruised on a multi-class ship (by definition -- not a slam at Oceania), would, IMO, make you more accustomed to being in that environment. I don't recall stating that you actually had to board late or miss excursions as I am not familiar with the cabin category or with Oceania -- other than what you have shared with all of us.

I am guessing that most of us on the Regent boards do not know much about Oceania. . . . it's early days, when Apollo purchased the cruiseline or now. As harsh as this may sound, I don't really care about about Oceania other than the fact that it is a sister cruise line to Regent. I did have an interest in it's newest ship -- only from what I have heard from FDR.

Now I would like to respectfully inquire as to why you are sailing on Regent since you find such satisfaction with Oceania? Does Regent offer anything above what you receive on Oceania? Am really interested in some details here.

I must admit that I'm a bit taken aback by your statement (and I quote) "I probably have more experience with that management than anyone else on this board, and if I'm not concerned about the new policy, that should have some effect." I would never challenge that statement but do find it interesting how some posters have blind belief in that statement. Your relationship with PCH does explain why you board early despite your cabin category. I may have received some special consideration in the past, but it was definitely not to the detriment of other passengers.

Admittedly, I did learn a lot from your post. And, if/when PCH moves some Regent management into PCH, I may believe that they care about the future of Regent.

[quote name='Travelcat2']Don, sorry if I mistated your viewpoint and/or you may have misunderstood what I said. The mere fact that you have cruised on a multi-class ship (by definition -- not a slam at Oceania), would, IMO, make you more accustomed to being in that environment. I don't recall stating that you actually had to board late or miss excursions as I am not familiar with the cabin category or with Oceania -- other than what you have shared with all of us.

I am guessing that most of us on the Regent boards do not know much about Oceania. . . . it's early days, when Apollo purchased the cruiseline or now. As harsh as this may sound, I don't really care about about Oceania other than the fact that it is a sister cruise line to Regent. I did have an interest in it's newest ship -- only from what I have heard from FDR.

Now I would like to respectfully inquire as to why you are sailing on Regent since you find such satisfaction with Oceania? Does Regent offer anything above what you receive on Oceania? Am really interested in some details here.

I must admit that I'm a bit taken aback by your statement (and I quote) "I probably have more experience with that management than anyone else on this board, and if I'm not concerned about the new policy, that should have some effect." I would never challenge that statement but do find it interesting how some posters have blind belief in that statement. Your relationship with PCH does explain why you board early despite your cabin category. I may have received some special consideration in the past, but it was definitely not to the detriment of other passengers.

Admittedly, I did learn a lot from your post. And, if/when PCH moves some Regent management into PCH, I may believe that they care about the future of Regent.[/quote]

Any time one receives special consideration, it is definitely at the expense or detriment of another...how can it not be so? And since you and others received special consideration without a designated program, why will the new program change things? Isn't that already an example of a class designation?

In one of your previous posts, you indicated that the majority of the posters are not happy with the concierge program...please cite your source for this statement.

As has been discussed numerous times in past years, those in the Regent butler suites have been aware that by contacting their butler, he/she can make preferred dining-spa, etc. arrangements for them. If that's not a class system then what is?

Don Horner,

I do respect your views and experience mostly on Oceania but, one important issue with regent's new policy, the 60 day early start to book excursions for concierege and possibly gold and above sss members is the biggest issue with the new policy and hasn't occurred on Oceania nor other luxury cruise lines as "unlimited free shore excursions" only exist on regent.

The wait and see policy stated by some is totally unnecessary. We already know that excursions become fully booked within a few days of bookings opening. Now, some may say that wait listed people oftentimes have the wait list changed to a booking but, some limited excursions do not have the ability to increase the number of busses thus taking more passengers. Last year we tried to book at the opening of bookings and the computer system at regent locked us out until about 9 AM the next day and one of the excursions we wanted was fully booked with 6 passengers. regent was able to increase the number of available places to 10 but, more than that were waitlisted and thus did not get that excursion.

It is a fact that some excursions are limited and do fill in the first 60 days of bookings when the non-concierege passengers are not allowed to book and some of those for sure won't take all that want to go.

Therefore, it is a fact that we don't need to wait for the policy to go into effect that some non-concierege passengers won't get all their excursion choices. We don't need to wait and see about this portion of the new policy that many of us don't agree with.

regent heavily advertises free and unlimited excursions. Neither of the points are correct and are false advertising. Of course excursions aren't free, they are included in the price EVERYONE pays and ALL excursions aren't unlimited. Some have limits and that is just the way it is but, regent marketing needs to STOP with the false advertising and tell it like it is.

Know this is beating a dead horse but, it does prove that at least one piece of the concierege program that is unique from any of the examples stated by people in favor of the wait and see comments is blatently unfair. Has absolutely nothing to do with the possible two class position but, a case of we know what this will do to excursions and needs to be removed from the concierage program.

[quote name='Travelcat2']Mimito: do you have an opinon on this? [/quote]

[quote name='Travelcat2']
Mimito: I have a couple of questions for you. How many Regent cruises have you taken? And, have you cruised on premium and/or mainstream cruiselines? I ask this in order to determine what level of service you are used to. Also, what makes you so confident that you will be able to get the excursions (or dining reservations) you want when currently there are many passengers who cannot?
I must disagree that Regent, Silversea or Seabourn currently have a class system. Since you believe they do, could you please elaborate? Last, I find it interesting that you find 100,000 regular cruisers to be unimportant to the future of Regent.
[/quote]

As an aside, I think it is funny that TC2 requests this poster's opinion and then when determined it is not in alignment, the other poster is questioned about her qualifications to justify / hold that position.

[quote name='Travelcat2']I dare not start another thread or I will bashed into the ground. So, I recommend reading, on the "Luxury" board "It is Regent or Oceania2, another surprise" by "CruisingForTheTruth"
[/quote]

To remind the reminder, let's stay on topic. This has no bearing to this thread.

[quote name='Travelcat2']Mimito: I have a couple of questions for you. How many Regent cruises have you taken? And, have you cruised on premium and/or mainstream cruiselines? I ask this in order to determine what level of service you are used to. Also, what makes you so confident that you will be able to get the excursions (or dining reservations) you want when currently there are many passengers who cannot?
I must disagree that Regent, Silversea or Seabourn currently have a class system. Since you believe they do, could you please elaborate? Last, I find it interesting that you find 100,000 regular cruisers to be unimportant to the future of Regent.[/quote]

In spite of my sense that you completely love these message board disagreements and negativity, I'm going to respond and then I'm done.

1. My first Regent cruise will be this August to Alaska. What little experience I've had with them has been positive--right down to them, just for the asking by my TA, applying the normally forfeited deposit of a cruise I had booked AFTER the Alaskan cruise, to the balance owed on the Alaskan cruise. I get the sense they're very customer focused.

2. As for my cruise "experience," which you seem to feel determines the value of my opinion, I am annoyed at myself for even providing this, but once again, I bite. I have the following under my belt (I have put in alphabetical order, not order of status or favorite since I seem to be able to find value in each. . .I'm easy like that):

Carnival, Celebrity, Crystal, Disney, Explorer II (Galapagos - owned by an Ecuadorian company at least at the time) HAL, Norwegian, Premier (the old Big Red Boat), Royal Caribbean, Renassiance, SeaDream Yacht Club, as well as a charter.

3. As far as what makes me confident in my ability to to get the excursions I want, perhaps it's selective reading here, but if I exclude your negative stirring, it seems to me that most people speak in terms of ultimately getting the excursion they want even when wait-listed once they're on-board.

4. A class system is inherent in category of stateroom. As was stated by Responder, on Regent and all other ships on which I've sailed, if you have a butler, you are able to work "magic." Two different times on Crystal I was not able to get the reservations I wanted in the specialty restaurants. Then again, I didn't have a penthouse. I accept that and gladly took my second choice.

5. Finally, a question for you. Are you saying there are 100,000 regular cruisers who frequent this, the Regent Board, or are you referencing the total number of registered Cruise Critic members across all lines?

And now, with my interrogation hopefully complete, I'm out, and give myself one of these icons.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/mothert/Avatars%20and%20siggys/deadhorse2gif.gif[/IMG]

And since I wish I could use the stick on myself for even engaging in this, expending valuable time and energy I could be devoting to positive things ;), I provide this instead.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/mothert/Avatars%20and%20siggys/image001.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='rallydave']
regent heavily advertises free and unlimited excursions. Neither of the points are correct and are false advertising. Of course excursions aren't free, they are included in the price EVERYONE pays and ALL excursions aren't unlimited. Some have limits and that is just the way it is but, regent marketing needs to STOP with the false advertising and tell it like it is.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'll abandon their marketing practices. They have been advertising "FREE Air" forever and, as we all know , anybody can get a credit if they don't use Regent air. IMO, that's a more blatant case of false advertising and they seem very comfortable doing it.

[quote name='mimito4']
5. Finally, a question for you. Are you saying there are 100,000 regular cruisers who frequent this, the Regent Board, or are you referencing the total number of registered Cruise Critic members across all lines?
[/QUOTE]

I believe that TC was referencing an estimate of the number of repeat cruisers on Regent. Not Cruise Critic. I could be wrong.

[quote name='Anna B.']Mimito4, well written post (and funny too) - thank you![/quote]

Mimito4: The next sentence (for Responder) is one reason I post so many times. In response to his question as to where I obtained the information that the majority of posters are against the policy. . .. for the [U]third[/U] time. I went to the Is Regent Becoming a Two Class Cruise Line (not sure of exact subject -- it has over 20,000 reads) and counted the views of every single post. There was also a column for undecided or couldn't figure out where a poster stood. Anyone can do the same thing.

Will try to quickly respond to your post. The 100,000 number I mentioned is part of a quote from Mark Conroy and is not related to CruiseCritic. Regent has 100,000 regular customers that book at least once every 36 months.

In terms of excursions and waitlists. . . . I have read both positive and negative. On limited excursions (it is stated in Regent literature), they do fill up. Some people do get the excursions -- others do not. The only reason we have never been waitlisted is because we book the moment the excursions are open (to everyone).

The reason I asked for your cruising experience (which I appreciate you providing) is because cruising, for many, many years (going back to at least the Queen Elizabeth I), has always had the class system. When my DH came to this country, he was in steerage. So, when people who have cruised other lines (besides luxury lines), they have always seen this type of system. It was never meant as a criticism when I post "you are used to the class system". . . . it is simply the way it is. One thing that has always been different with luxury lines is that this did not exist (outside of your cabin). People pay more money -- get a larger cabin -- a butler, etc. However, people in larger cabins do not board first, book excursions or dining reservations first. Since I started cruising in 2004 (not counting a weekend on Disney - also on Premier - loved it)), my first real cruise was on the PG. So, I am not accustomed to the class system. And, my background finds the class system abhorent. In terms of the Regent policy, it is my deep conviction that everyone should have the same opportunity to book excursions and dining reservations. No one deserves to be sent to the end of the line.

And to repeat one more time, my DH does not agree with me on this subject and I'm still happily married:rolleyes:

[quote name='Travelcat2']Mimito4: The next sentence (for Responder) is one reason I post so many times. In response to his question as to where I obtained the information that the majority of posters are against the policy. . .. for the [U]third[/U] time. I went to the Is Regent Becoming a Two Class Cruise Line (not sure of exact subject -- it has over 20,000 reads) and counted the views of every single post. There was also a column for undecided or couldn't figure out where a poster stood. Anyone can do the same thing.

Will try to quickly respond to your post. The 100,000 number I mentioned is part of a quote from Mark Conroy and is not related to CruiseCritic. Regent has 100,000 regular customers that book at least once every 36 months.

In terms of excursions and waitlists. . . . I have read both positive and negative. On limited excursions (it is stated in Regent literature), they do fill up. Some people do get the excursions -- others do not. The only reason we have never been waitlisted is because we book the moment the excursions are open (to everyone).

The reason I asked for your cruising experience (which I appreciate you providing) is because cruising, for many, many years (going back to at least the Queen Elizabeth I), has always had the class system. When my DH came to this country, he was in steerage. So, when people who have cruised other lines (besides luxury lines), they have always seen this type of system. It was never meant as a criticism when I post "you are used to the class system". . . . it is simply the way it is. One thing that has always been different with luxury lines is that this did not exist (outside of your cabin). People pay more money -- get a larger cabin -- a butler, etc. However, people in larger cabins do not board first, book excursions or dining reservations first. Since I started cruising in 2004 (not counting a weekend on Disney - also on Premier - loved it)), my first real cruise was on the PG. So, I am not accustomed to the class system. And, my background finds the class system abhorent. In terms of the Regent policy, it is my deep conviction that everyone should have the same opportunity to book excursions and dining reservations. No one deserves to be sent to the end of the line.

And to repeat one more time, my DH does not agree with me on this subject and I'm still happily married:rolleyes:[/quote]

Tc....

Not to belabor the point, but someone is always first and someone is always last. You make it sound like it should be open season for the survival of the fittest. May be hard to believe, but we have friends who cruise on luxury lines and have no computers. Should they line up at the public library when it opens in order to try for first place? You say you have never missed as you are always first in line. Maybe others are not so aggresive and maybe others don't really care as they know from many past experiences that they will find a spot. I'm one of those.

When you referenced the poll that had 20,000 reads, of course many of those were people like yourself who are large volume posters, but did you query each and every one to determine what their luxury cruising experience was and how many times they sailed, as you did when you responded to [B]mimito4[/B]?

The 100,000 number may be correct or it may be marketing, and what does it possibly mean? When we sailed on Crystal, they made the claim that they had the highest return rate in the industry and yet our sailing was not full.

If you calculate the largest number of possible cruisers in one year from all 3 ships, you get 98,280...

2 ships@700 passengers...1 ship@490 passengers...assuming the ships always sail full and have no downtime for drydock or maintenance..

Math is not my bag so I may be off some..;)

[quote name='Responder']Tc....

Not to belabor the point, but someone is always first and someone is always last. You make it sound like it should be open season for the survival of the fittest. May be hard to believe, but we have friends who cruise on luxury lines and have no computers. Should they line up at the public library when it opens in order to try for first place? You say you have never missed as you are always first in line. Maybe others are not so aggresive and maybe others don't really care as they know from many past experiences that they will find a spot. I'm one of those.

When you referenced the poll that had 20,000 reads, of course many of those were people like yourself who are large volume posters, but did you query each and every one to determine what their luxury cruising experience was and how many times they sailed, as you did when you responded to [B]mimito4[/B]?

The 100,000 number may be correct or it may be marketing, and what does it possibly mean? When we sailed on Crystal, they made the claim that they had the highest return rate in the industry and yet our sailing was not full.

If you calculate the largest number of possible cruisers in one year from all 3 ships, you get 98,280...

2 ships@700 passengers...1 ship@490 passengers...assuming the ships always sail full and have no downtime for drydock or maintenance..

Math is not my bag so I may be off some..;)[/quote]

Okay I'll try one more time. Then it might be best if we agree to disagree. Since math is not my thing either, I try to state things in a logical way and do not always succeed.

The 100,000 number that Mark Conroy uses are people who book at least one cruise over a 3 year period. So, using your number (98,280) times 3 it is possible that Regent has 294,840 passengers in three years. He is therefore stating that approximately 1/3 of all passengers are considered to be "regular" passengers. This was only relevant when it appeared that Regent was not taking long term customers into account with the new policy. This no longer remains an issue (at least not to those Gold and above).

When I counted the posts, I did not count repeat posters. In terms of my question to mimito4, yes, I have had asked that question of several posters over the years and had interesting discussions with them. It seems (and the following is a generalization based solely on my opinion from reading posts over the past 6 years or so) that cruisers who are regular Crystal customers, have more dissatisfaction with Regent than most. Cruisers who have sailed mostly on mainstream or premium tend to love Regent (and I could list many reasons why). Seabourn and Silversea customers trying out Regent are a mixed bag. Silversea is similiar to Regent in many ways and their customers seem to feel the same about Regent.

It helps me respond to questions when I know what the poster is comparing Regent to. My goal on CC is not to criticize Regent (or to be a cheerleader). My responses do tend to be a bit more critical when I'm responding to another "regular" . . . many times to see if they are experiencing the same thing as we are. My favorite posters are newbies who have not cruised on luxury lines. Not sure who gets more excited about their upcoming cruise -- them or me. I'm sure all of us can remember stepping foot on the ship for our first luxury cruise. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

You have brought up the fact that someone has to be at the end of the line previously. My response is the same. . . .currently, everyone has an equal chance to be in the front of the line. If a certain excursion is important to you or you want to dine at a table for 6 in Prime 7 at a certain time and date, you will make sure you are close to the beginning of the electronic line. The same things happens in most areas of life. Those who arrive the earliest are at the front of the line. Under the new policy, there is no front of the line for some people. And, there is no guarantee that you will get an excursion or get into Prime 7 or the new reservation restaurant when you want to. There have been times where we simply cannot get a 2nd reservation (even with a butler). I respect that your experience in this area has been different than mine.

Like Mimito4, I feel like this has been a cross-examination. There seems to be one more question I did not answer regarding "special consideration". Anything that I may or may not have received in this area had nothing to do with special dining reservations, excursions, seating or anything else you can think of that affects others. An example could be having a special bottle or wine or champagne sent to your room . . . . Many of us have been fortunate to receive the opportunity for an upgrade at a nominal cost. This kind of thing could happen to anyone and is not related to class or even cabin category (but it does help if you have a great TA).

Hope that your questions have been answered.

Mimito 4,
Your commonsense opinions on this issue are very welcome, and so agreeably and rationally expressed.

Regent have a profitable business model and continually please their customers - I wish for nothing more. I hope they continue to keep profits up by finding ways to add value rather than by cutting costs and services.

In my brief experience with Regent I have had some hopefully unique events occur. Last Oct. I was scheduled on the cruise out of Athens that was canceled due to engine pod issues. I rescheduled for a similar cruise this Oct.10 and the entire itinerary was changes a few weeks ago due to limited interest in middle east itineraries. I am now scheduled on the Oct 29th cruise from Istanbul to Luxor. Hopefully, this will actually happen. My point is that Regent makes policies and decisions based on what is best for their company. I in turn make decisions on what is best for me. In the future, if I try on-line to make excursion and/or dinner reservations on the first day they are available to me, and I find others with higher status have already filled the times I want, I will simply cancel my cruise. (I realize I may lose an administration fee but Regent would be losing a life long customer) I have many options to spend my vacation dollars and always will spend them in situations where I am treated equally. I do not begrudge Regent for their policy but if it negatively effects me I will just make other choices.

Let's say there are 700 guests on a particular sailing with the existing program.

Now, as some of you say, everyone is equal and the booking time opens up.
Let's further say that a particular excursion only has room for 250 guests.

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change after the new program begins?

Repeat this query for dining..room for 50 people at 2 different seatings.

Who is first and who is last and why? What will change with the new program?

No matter how you cut it, just as in every other aspect of life...some will get their choices and some will have second choices.

Those who pay more for prime seats at any event, always sit closer to the stage.

Archived