Oceania to no longer have bridge directors on board?

wingit

I was on the recent Marina TA. We were very fortunate to have great bridge instructors on this cruise (Lyde and Curt Hussey). Beginner and intermediate bridge lessons were offered in the morning and social and duplicate games were played in the afternoon. All of these were very, very well attended. Capacity crowds at the lessons and games.

Bridge has traditionally been a part of cruising ~ Especially on the longer cruises with many sea days Well, the word going around the cruise circles was that Oceania will no longer be featuring bridge instructors. In fact for this TA the bridge instructors were an eleventh hour addition -- they weren't even planning on having them on board. Has anyone else heard about this?

I've been on quite a few cruises and bridge has seemed to be a staple of shipboard life. Any ideas on why Oceania would be cutting the organized bridge? On this cruise in particular it seemed to be about the most popular onboard activity.

I received an email from my TA only a few days ago announcing several cruises with experts to be on board. Unfortunately I didn't save this since we are not bridge people.

But I imagine I can get it if you don't have any other resources.

The problem, of course, is that these were only a few cruises.

I received an email from my TA only a few days ago announcing several cruises with experts to be on board. Unfortunately I didn't save this since we are not bridge people.

But I imagine I can get it if you don't have any other resources.

The problem, of course, is that these were only a few cruises.

Thank you, Mura, for your response. Yes, I heard on board that Oceania had 3 or 4 cruises planned that featured bridge. But as you say it's just a few cruises. Apparently one can no longer count on having bridge on board an Oceania cruise.

Wingit,

Even though there may not be bridge "hosts" on most cruises, it does seem to me that there are often many people inquiring here about bridge on cruises. Just because there aren't teachers doesn't mean you won't find people to play with.

I hope!

It's many years since I played bridge, but I really enjoyed it when I did -- strictly a rank beginner, of course.

I was on the recent Marina TA. We were very fortunate to have great bridge instructors on this cruise (Lyde and Curt Hussey). Beginner and intermediate bridge lessons were offered in the morning and social and duplicate games were played in the afternoon. All of these were very, very well attended. Capacity crowds at the lessons and games.

Bridge has traditionally been a part of cruising ~ Especially on the longer cruises with many sea days Well, the word going around the cruise circles was that Oceania will no longer be featuring bridge instructors. In fact for this TA the bridge instructors were an eleventh hour addition -- they weren't even planning on having them on board. Has anyone else heard about this?

I've been on quite a few cruises and bridge has seemed to be a staple of shipboard life. Any ideas on why Oceania would be cutting the organized bridge? On this cruise in particular it seemed to be about the most popular onboard activity.

Here you go: Oceania e-mail forwarded by my TA:

Gerry and Barbara Fox

REGATTA- AUGUST 14, 2011

Gerry Fox is a full-time bridge teacher in the San Francisco area. With over 300 students per week he is one of the busiest and most popular instructors in the country.

Following an academic career at Smith College and the University of California (Berkeley), Gerry turned his avocation into a professional bridge career. He is a Certified Director and a Gold Life Master of the American Contract Bridge League, the author of seven books on the game, and has been a guest lecturer on more than 160 cruises. Apart from his teaching Gerry also serves as the owner of Grand Slam Cruises. In this capacity he is responsible for the staffing and operation of the bridge programs on six cruise lines.

Gerry will be traveling with his wife, Barbara, who will assist him. When they are not at sea, they make their home in Napa, CA

Joan and John Macholl

NAUTICA – OCTOBER 1, 2011

John and Joan Macholl began their love affair with the game of bridge in their college years. In fact, they met at the bridge table. We are proud that we never cut a class to play bridge. We began our careers as Business Education teachers. Then John went into administration—first as a Department Chairperson and then as a High School Principal. When our daughter was a high school senior, we took up duplicate bridge and golf (as if we didn’t have enough challenges).

Since retirement, we have become certified teachers, directors and have reached Silver Life Master Status. We enjoy teaching and directing both at home and on the sea. And we are proof that husbands and wives can play this game together and have fun!!!!

John Newman

INSIGNIA, OCTOBER 29, 2011

John Newman, an Australian national bridge champion on several occasions, is also a first-rate instructor, having introduced thousands of players to the game. He has lectured on many cruise ships and at major bridge clubs worldwide. John is an avid promoter of the game through Social Bridge Australia, an organization he founded, and by conducting bridge holidays under the aegis of Bridge Travel, his own company. When he is in Sydney, John conducts group coaching in his Bridge Studio in Mosman. He will be assisted on this trip by Rhonda Goldman.

Lynn Berg/Gail Rust

MARINA – OCTOBER 21, 2011

Dr. Lynn Berg is a Gold Life Master, a National Teacher Trainer for the American Contract Bridge League, an Easybridge expert, an accredited teacher and certified director and an American Bridge Teachers Association Master Teacher. She is a popular bridge columnist whose specialty is novice and intermediate players. Lynn is a retired college English teacher. She lives in Florida with her elderly dachshund and two Siamese cats, but loves to travel (especially on shipboard!) She also enjoys reading, cards, gardening and entertaining. Her four children and six grandchildren are scattered all over the country—another great reason to travel.

Her friend Gail Rust is a Platinum Life Master, a certified director and accredited teacher. Gail has traveled even more than Lynn, having visited Croatia, Greece, Turkey, the Baltic and the Canadian and U.S. coasts in the past two years, Gail lives in Florida; she has one son and a Siamese cat.

Peg and Dewy Cundiff

MARINA-NOVEMBER 14, 2011

Peg & Dewy Cundiff are well-known international bridge lecturers, directors and tournament players. Before they began traveling the world on cruise ships, their professional lives centered in education. Dewy enjoyed coaching and physical education instruction; Peg distinguished herself in the field of psychology and counseling. Both studied at Central Missouri University, San Francisco University, University of Kansas, University of Wisconsin and London University. They completed Bachelor, Master and postgraduate degrees. Professional awards for outstanding teaching, exceptional contributions to the study of international travel and recognition for leadership in the world of bridge have been accorded to the Cundiffs.

After replacing Omar Sharif on a bridge cruise, they decided they wanted to cruise after retirement. Currently their bridge expertise focuses on lecturing and directing bridge on all the major cruise ships, lecturing at the National American Contract Bridge League tournaments, and presenting specialized Workshops and Clinics. Both are consultants to National, Regional and Sectional bridge tournaments and bridge education programs. As trainers, they officially train and accredit

Audrey Grant Better Bridge and ACBL bridge teachers and cruise lecturers. In competitive bridge tournament play they hold the esteemed rank of Gold Life Masters.

Having retired from the field of education in Kansas, the Cundiffs now reside in Las Vegas where they enjoy playing golf when they are not cruising or directing. You are invited to come and enjoy their morning beginning and intermediate lectures and their afternoon social and duplicate bridge series. Their love of working with people, sharing bridge knowledge with others and traveling all over the world assures each of you that the joy of the game of bridge is not only the challenge of the cards, but the friends you meet while cruising on this elegant ship.

PLEASE NOTE: All of our instructors are certified ACBL Bridge Masters. They may offer duplicate or social bridge play as well as beginning and advanced bridge lectures. Duplicate points will be awarded to all players who qualify.

Edited by stunnedinva

Wingit,

Even though there may not be bridge "hosts" on most cruises, it does seem to me that there are often many people inquiring here about bridge on cruises. Just because there aren't teachers doesn't mean you won't find people to play with.

I hope!

It's many years since I played bridge, but I really enjoyed it when I did -- strictly a rank beginner, of course.

This is so true. I havent been on an Oceania cruise but I have been on lots of cruises and there has always been bridge/cards offered in some form. Even on my last cruise(Carnival) they had "unattended " bridge every afternoon and it was well attended. Even if they dont have dedicated staff for bridge I bet they will put Bridge in the daily activities.

If you are on a cruise that doesn't have a teaching bridge instructor on board, you can still ask the CD if space can be set aside with advertising in Currents and on the CD's Daily Program to organize your own tournaments. You may even find a crew member who is an avid player and can be called on to help.

I'm not a bridge player, but I appealed to the CD for Marina's MV with a quilting group, and Leslie Jon was very supportive. He put notice in the Currents every day and we were in the calendar of his daily program. He even dropped in several times during the cruise to see how we were doing.

I found O very helpful so we could "do our own thing." I'm sure you will too.:)

Cheers! Kay

We are not players but the games are advertised daily

Most of the time they have had bridge instructors onboard

It could be a matter of finding the right people for each cruise

I think they still have to pay their way maybe at a discounted rate

We were on a B2B the 1st cruise had no instructors but they had a full house for bridge each day, they were held in Polo there were so many players

Thanks, stunnedinva, for your posting. Now I know that there will be the Foxes onboard to instruct bridge on our Aug. 14 Vancouver to SF cruise. I've never played before, but think this will be an excellent time to get acquainted with the game. DH and I may even learn that we are compatible partners in bridge as well as in marriage ;)

Harriet

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do hope that Oceania will plan on having bridge hosts on their cruises with many sea days. But from stunnedinva's post it appears that they will only be on those 5 featured cruises this year.

That corresponds with what we were told on the Marina. The Oceania regulars that participated in bridge were keenly disappointed to hear that they should not expect bridge hosts to be on board for even the longer cruises. Many people turned in letters/comments that urged the decision makers to reconsider. Here's hoping they do...

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information about the Brdige directors. None are listed for our 10/11 Marina cruise but I realize that we are in port vuirtually everyday so there is no daytime free for bridge. Though I enjoy playing duplicate, in this case I'd rather use the time to sightsee. It really only makes sense to have directors on cruises which have at least a couple of sea days.

Thanks for the information about the Brdige directors. None are listed for our 10/11 Marina cruise but I realize that we are in port vuirtually everyday so there is no daytime free for bridge. Though I enjoy playing duplicate, in this case I'd rather use the time to sightsee. It really only makes sense to have directors on cruises which have at least a couple of sea days.

You're welcome! I'm not a bridge player myself, but my friend on our recent Regatta cruise was determined to learn and enjoyed Gerry's instruction. If we weren't on a full-day tour, we were always back onboard for the 2:00 lesson.

Just a general comment about guest lecturers -- not necessarily bridge experts.

When we did our Panama Canal cruise back in early 2004 there were several excellent lecturers on board talking mainly about the cultural and historical aspects of the places we were going to see. One talked about the colonization of Latin America. Another discussed the native handicrafts we would encounter (on an island that he to be dispensed with due to bad sea conditions that didn't permit us to tender). And so on.

I have to say that I think this was the last Oceania cruise where we felt we had really excellent enrichment lectures.

We dined in Toscana one night with one of these lecturers and another woman (sailing alone, not with the lecturer!) and I wish I could remember exactly what he said. But it was along the lines of this being his last cruise on Oceania as a lecturer. It didn't sound as if this was by HIS choice. Not that he was being fired, but that Oceania didn't want to spend as much on such services.

I may well be remembering this all wrong, but given that we haven't had the excellent enrichment lectures on cruises since then, I wonder if it wasn't Oceania's decision to dispense with them ... or at least de-emphasize them. I was very surprised when we did a TA on Regatta in March 2009 that there really weren't interesting lectures to attend -- other than the cooking demos.

It certainly makes sense that you don't need the enrichment lectures on itineraries that are port intensive. But on itineraries with many sea days, they would be most welcome. At least to me!

As I said, don't quote me! I'm guessing based on something that was said to me 7 years ago in passing!

Just a general comment about guest lecturers -- not necessarily bridge experts.

"I have to say that I think this was the last Oceania cruise where we felt we had really excellent enrichment lectures."

Mura: We just returned from the Marina TA. We had never done a TA and my fear was the number of sea days and the fact that Oceania did not, in our experience (began in 2007), have a very strong enrichment program. I was pleasantly surprised. The were 3 guest lecturers on various topics - historic, areas going to visit, ships, etc. I found them enjoyable and attended most of the lectures. IMO they were all very approachable away from their lectures and willing to provide aaditonal information. I hope this continues to hold true.

I'm crossing my fingers with you that this is a new pattern and not just for the new "big" ships!

Very reassuring.

(Although I shouldn't complain -- NCL's transatlantic had ZERO in the way of enrichment programs. Lots for the kids, though ... I don't begrudge the children's programs on a ship that caters to families! Just when they get stuff and I don't!)

We dined in Toscana one night with one of these lecturers and another woman (sailing alone, not with the lecturer!) and I wish I could remember exactly what he said. But it was along the lines of this being his last cruise on Oceania as a lecturer. It didn't sound as if this was by HIS choice. Not that he was being fired, but that Oceania didn't want to spend as much on such services.

I may well be remembering this all wrong, but given that we haven't had the excellent enrichment lectures on cruises since then, I wonder if it wasn't Oceania's decision to dispense with them ... or at least de-emphasize them. I was very surprised when we did a TA on Regatta in March 2009 that there really weren't interesting lectures to attend -- other than the cooking demos.

On all our Oceania cruises they had lecturers ...maybe not discussions on the areas we were in but they were varied in topics

Some topics are not to everyone's interests

We had a lady on the panama trip ..she could put anyone to sleep :rolleyes:

On all our Oceania cruises they had lecturers ...maybe not discussions on the areas we were in but they were varied in topics

We too have had poor lecturers on most of our sailings, the type you go to once and sit near the door. :mad:

Lyn,

I didn't mean that there are no longer any! Just that they haven't seemed to be of the same variety or quality to us in more recent years. Clearly we don't all have the same interests.

• 6 years later...

My husband and I are keen bridge players and we have now been on 3 Oceania cruises. Only the one through the Greek Islands didn't have a bridge director - but we were at a new location every day. The other 2 had quite a few sea days - San Fran to New York and Hong Kong to Dubai. The directors on both these cruises were of a very high standard. We recently took a 25 day cruise with Regent (owners of Oceania) and unfortunately the bridge director allowed one American woman to monopolise his time and to rule the play to the extent that many players just stopped attending the sessions. I guess it's just the luck of the draw as to whether you get a good director or a poor one. I know a couple of local player who direct on cruises (not with Oceania) and they are very ORDINARY players - we wouldn't be happy to have them as directors on our cruises. Our next cruise is Sydney to Papeete with Oceania and it advertises a bridge programme so we have our fingers crossed for a good director!:)

I sure hope there'll be instructors on the RTW 2019 cruise! I want to learn bridge and a long cruise sounds like a perfect opportunity.

BTW, Regent doesn't "own" Oceania....they, along with NCL, are owned by the same holding company.

There were two bridge instructors on our 30 day cruise that ended last month so I would think there should be a good chance that you will have them as well. Classes were only on sea days or if we got into port late or left early. Very popular activity. I enjoyed the ones I attended but sadly did not stick with it.