Menu changes coming?

kywildcatfanone

Hmmmm. One has to wonder whether this menu change is really nothing more than another way to cut costs? That seems to be the end result, at least from the last time they changed when certain beef options (e.g. New York strip) no longer appeared on the menu. Thoughts?

That sounds like it

I order it every night as a side order!

I do the same thing most nights & really enjoy a side dish of their pastas. I don't know if Princess offered it before merging with Sitmar but it was great on Sitmar to have the fresh pastas each evening brought to the table on platters...although they had a hard time accepting just a little bit! :p

Hi Mike!

As food is so very subjective as well now cost points change constantly with petrol etc..

The changes in variations are , yes, for the cruise lines benefit..as well to keep the paying cruisers pacified.

The , way past, days of cruising in having T-Bone/ Porterhouse Prime Grade s gratis is long past.. Yes the cruise lines wanted to open the mass markets to more customers so building many more much larger ships they needed ways to keep the cabins fill rate up. How much better than making the Rates LOW? Get the people aboard.. sell them most everything possible and make more revenues..

Do you know the usual highest paid person on most ships?

A.= The Art Auction Managers are. Commission, Salaries and fees . That is a wonderful revenue generator. Thusly increasing each ships bottom line to tyhe cruise line and then to the parent firm.

If you do have a special dietary need and/or want your able to ask before you depart and the Cruise Line usually will oblige you.

Menu changes should be constant now with price points going up and down so much.. If you do not see something on the menu ask your head waiter or even the HotMan ( Hotel Manager ) they learn from paying cruisers..

Princess/Cunard does have one of the better departments in this at sea. Was it Mr. Winkler your wife saw?

Has anyone else heard this? We were on the Crown a couple of weeks ago. One morning on the Wake Show, my wife saw Ron Goodman interview someone from Princess Corporate who was on board for the week. Apparently this was a Executive Chef and he was going from ship to ship to meet with the onboard Executive Chef's and their staff's to discuss an upcoming menu change.

During the interview, he said the Princess had been using the same menu for about 3 years and they like to change them about every 3 years. He said this would be a complete makeover including all dining options (MDR, buffet, specialty restaurants, etc). He didn't talk about specifics of what some of the changes might be at the time.

He also mentioned that Princess was one of only two cruise lines that make basically everything from scratch including sauces.

He also said when he disembarked at the end of the week, he would be flying to meet another ship and have the conversations all over again.

Anyway, I didn't see this, but my wife did. Anyone have any more info about possible menu changes?

Mike

Princess/Cunard does have one of the better departments in this at sea. Was it Mr. Winkler your wife saw?

She's not 100% sure, but said Winkler could be right. She said his title was something like "Executive Chef of Princess Cruises". Like I said in my initial post, it was her understanding from the conversation they were having that he was spending time on each ship with the Culinary staff to update them on upcoming menu changes. She thinks he said the changes would start in the late summer.

Mike

Spaghetti and meatballs isn't really Italian.......it's an Italian-American dish that I've never seen served in Italy.

http://almostitalian.com/spaghetti-with-meatballs/

I don't understand why they serve some nice pastas on all nights except for Italian night...spaghetti & meatballs. :eek:

I would think that would be served on another night...like American night. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why they serve some nice pastas on all nights except for Italian night...spaghetti & meatballs. :eek:

I would think that would be served on another night...like American night. :rolleyes:

From one Sitmar alum to another -- do you remember the fantastic fettucine with the green spinach noodles they used to make? Nothing like the "Americanized" version of fettucine Alfredo now served on Princess which, while usually very tasty, is also much heavier and richer with probably twice the cheese, cream, and butter.....

From one Sitmar alum to another -- do you remember the fantastic fettucine with the green spinach noodles they used to make? Nothing like the "Americanized" version of fettucine Alfredo now served on Princess which, while usually very tasty, is also much heavier and richer with probably twice the cheese, cream, and butter.....

Yes, I definitely remember it...along with all of the other amazing fresh pastas on Sitmar. The Fairwind in summer 1988 was our 1st Princess cruise & 6 months later we sailed the same ship as the Dawn Princess. I was so happy they continued the pasta course even though it's evolved to no longer be automatically brought in large bowls for the waiter to serve to anyone who wanted it. The Italian/Portugese crew were just great & on a recent cruise I was telling our tablemates about Sitmar's fresh pastas. Our waiter said he heard they weren't fresh but he did that just to joke with me. Jose was an assistant waiter during the time of our Sitmar cruise & what a pleasure it was to have him for a month on the Star Princess. :D

Two of my earliest cruises were on the Sitmar turned Princess ships to the Mexican Riviera. I loved those little ships. I was on a group cruise both times and still have the videos (now converted to DVDs) so I can watch and reminisce. Those are what hooked me on cruising.

Two of my earliest cruises were on the Sitmar turned Princess ships to the Mexican Riviera. I loved those little ships. I was on a group cruise both times and still have the videos (now converted to DVDs) so I can watch and reminisce. Those are what hooked me on cruising.

Sitmar was a great cruise line & it was a very memorable 1st famiglia cruise with our kids to the Eastern Caribbean before our Mexican Riviera cruise after the name change to Dawn Princess.

Archived