What is a sport shirt?

cafediem

This will be our first cruise with Celebrity, so I have been checking out the dress code information. I understand the formal and informal information, but casual dress for men includes reference to a sport shirt. Does it mean what we would call a polo shirt in Britain, or more like a shirt you would wear with a jacket or a lounge suit?

Grateful for any translations so my boys are appropriately attired!

This will be our first cruise with Celebrity, so I have been checking out the dress code information. I understand the formal and informal information, but casual dress for men includes reference to a sport shirt. Does it mean what we would call a polo shirt in Britain, or more like a shirt you would wear with a jacket or a lounge suit?

Grateful for any translations so my boys are appropriately attired!

Hi,:) same thing as a polo. Short sleeves with a collar. But there is no informal. Just formal and smart casual. That polo (here in the states

anyway) would be what the guys would wear to play golf so I am guessing your guys would wear the same thing on the links too:)

:)Hi Lois, many thanks - yes, they would wear that over here on the golf course. It is good to know they can wear polo shirts in the evening - especially my 15 year old - he doesn't mind wearing a tux for 2 or 3 nights, but would rather not have to wear a 'proper shirt' (as he would say) every evening.

Much appreciated!

A sport shirt is structured the same as a dress shirt. However, the fabric is more sporty, such as colourful stripes or plaids. In North America, Nautica has many sport shirts. In Europe, Faconnable has sport shirts. (As examples). I have not heard anyone referring to a polo type shirt as a sport shirt, but I may be older than the other posters as well as being a Canadian!

I just read your second post. For your teenage son, he may prefer the type of shirt I described. Many young men wear them with jeans (and it seems the style is not to tuck them in!!)

A sport shirt is structured the same as a dress shirt. However' date=' the fabric is more sporty, such as colourful stripes or plaids. In North America, Nautica has many sport shirts. In Europe, Faconnable has sport shirts. (As examples). I have not heard anyone referring to a polo type shirt as a sport shirt, but I may be older than the other posters as well as being a Canadian!

I just read your second post. For your teenage son, he may prefer the type of shirt I described. Many young men wear them with jeans (and it seems the style is not to tuck them in!!)[/quote']

I think the type of shirt you are describing and a polo are both sports shirts - just as long as they have collars.

A sport shirt is structured the same as a dress shirt. However' date=' the fabric is more sporty, such as colourful stripes or plaids. In North America, Nautica has many sport shirts. In Europe, Faconnable has sport shirts. (As examples). I have not heard anyone referring to a polo type shirt as a sport shirt, but I may be older than the other posters as well as being a Canadian!

I just read your second post. For your teenage son, he may prefer the type of shirt I described. Many young men wear them with jeans (and it seems the style is not to tuck them in!!)[/quote']

That is definitely a sport shirt in the US too. But you will see both those and the polo type in the evening on Celebrity.

I don't know what you call a "polo" in the UK...

But, generally, a "sport shirt" would be a shirt with a collar and buttons all the way down the front, usually short sleeves and usually with a stripe, plaid or pattern of some sort...could even be a "Hawaiian Shirt"...

As opposed to a "dress shirt" which is usually long sleeve with a solid color, often white, but sometimes a subtle stripe--something one would wear with a suit and tie...

A "sport shirt" is usually worn with the top button unbuttoned and no tie...

What we call a "polo shirt" or a "golf shirt" is a little more casual--a collar with only two or three butttons part way down the front, usually in a coarser fabric, often worn not tucked into the trousers...

A "T-shirt" is a simple shirt with no buttons or collar...

But, generally, a "sport shirt" would be a shirt with a collar and buttons all the way down the front, usually short sleeves and usually with a stripe, plaid or pattern of some sort...could even be a "Hawaiian Shirt"...

As opposed to a "dress shirt" which is usually long sleeve with a solid color, often white, but sometimes a subtle stripe--something one would wear with a suit and tie...

What we call a "polo shirt" or a "golf shirt" is a little more casual--a collar with only two or three butttons part way down the front, usually in a coarser fabric, often worn not tucked into the trousers...

Just want to add: Steve, you live in California, so a sport shirt mean short sleeves. We live in Canada, so a sport shirt can have short (summer) or long (all year) sleeves!

To the OP: take your son shopping to one of the "cool" stores where his agegroup shops and you will find stylish, young and appropriate shirts. When my sons were that age, if I took them to an "in" store and ESPECIALLY if there was a cute young salesgirl, there were no complaints!!!!!

Just want to add: Steve' date=' you live in California, so a sport shirt mean short sleeves. We live in Canada, so a sport shirt can have short (summer) or long (all year) sleeves!

To the OP: take your son shopping to one of the "cool" stores where his agegroup shops and you will find stylish, young and appropriate shirts. When my sons were that age, if I took them to an "in" store and ESPECIALLY if there was a cute young salesgirl, there were no complaints!!!!![/quote']

...now he does like Hollister, A&F and Superdry, so we may be ok!

Thank you everyone - from the above it sounds as though as long as the shirt has a collar, he will not look too casual. Now the boys are sorted I can look for a new frock for me!;)

IMHO, golf shirts are a sub-category of sport shirts. I think both examples in Wylie Coyote's post are sport shirts. Although, FWIW, if you look at the Men's Wearhouse website, they put both shirts under the category of "sportswear" but call #1 a golf shirt and call #2 a "sports shirt." I think either type is perfectly acceptable on a smart casual night. My DH tends to wear golf shirts, but I agree with Can'tstopcruising that #2 (long sleeved, untucked) is the younger, more fashionable look these days.

Just to stir the pot a wee bit! In Eclipse last fall out of the U.K. my friend was wearing a $50 collarless shirt. A Brittish gent came to the table and admonished him, rather rudely, for not having a collar on the shirt, which he said was required. In a hundred cruised with Celebrity never heard of this. However, research discovered, buried in the rule book, there is a clause that reads; collard shirts are required in the MDR at the evening meal or words to that effect, however, nobody has ever seen this rule enforced. ~ Ric

Just to stir the pot a wee bit! In Eclipse last fall out of the U.K. my friend was wearing a $50 collarless shirt. A Brittish gent came to the table and admonished him, rather rudely, for not having a collar on the shirt, which he said was required. In a hundred cruised with Celebrity never heard of this. However, research discovered, buried in the rule book, there is a clause that reads; collard shirts are required in the MDR at the evening meal or words to that effect, however, nobody has ever seen this rule enforced. ~ Ric

I am not so sure that I would categorize the individual who, "admonished him rather rudely" as a "gent"!;)

We call it a.....erm....polo shirt;) However it is also the mint with the hole.

Polo.jpg

Phil

Hi Phil, good to see you again:D and we call that little mint

with the hole in it...a LIFESAVER:)

Even though I am not a Haberdasher (or have ever played one on TV) I believe that alhough a Polo Shirt (or Golf Shirt) may be a shirt that is called a "sport shirt" I think the true definition is a woven (rather than Knit) shirt with a collar that is not a typical Long Sleeve Dress Shirt.

However, for the purposes of "Smart Casual" or "Country Club Casual" a Golf or Polo Shirt with a Collar is acceptable.

Hi Phil, good to see you again:D and we call that little mint

with the hole in it...a LIFESAVER:)

Ah! I had always wondered! Thanks.

Sue

Just to throw in a few more spanners:

First, [to add clarification/confusion] my husband is of an age when he always calls a "Polo Shirt" a "Fred Perry". I think that what distinguishes a "polo shirt" from a "casual shirt" is the fabric. A "polo shirt" is made of a knit type fabric whereas a "casual shirt" is made from a woven fabric.

Secondly, I disagree that a "dress shirt" [i.e. the type of shirt worn with a tie] has to be plain. They can also be a stripped or check [but not the sort of check I would call a "lumberjack check"]. IMHO, only a "formal shirt" to be worn with a dinner jacket/tux needs to be plain and. probably, white.

I think someone (inappropriately IMO) posted a picture of a guy in the MDR with a NASCAR shirt on. I think that qualifies as a sport shirt (assuming one believes NASCAR as a sport). Although I prefer them emblazoned with my beloved Oregon Ducks. :D

Bruin Steve I like your Avatar:)....Go Bruins!!!!:D

Archived