Special off-the-menu dishes

MDR = Main Dining Room...

Have question about when is best time to make reservations at Prime 7.

Have read that first night is good time as the Compass Rose doesn't have all things up an running due to change of passengers etc. Is this correct ?

Compass Rose has always been wonderful even on first night.

I would recommend Prime 7 or Signatures for first or last nights mainly because many people do not book those days. In fact, on our last cruise, after we boarded, we were able to get an eight top and two six tops in Prime 7 for first night. We were told that it did not count as our "one per segment" reservation; it was a "freebie."

Regent does not give out all reservations during the pre-cruise online booking phase. Thus, the openings on all nights; even for prime seating times. Just book when you immediately get onboard and you can find a seating for that first night.

Marc

Compass Rose == MDR

I have never heard of Compass Rose referred to as Main Dining Room or MDR. Where did that term come from? In fact, on three other cruiselines (Chandris, Costa, and RCI) all prior to 2002, I never heard that term.

I have never heard of Compass Rose referred to as Main Dining Room or MDR. Where did that term come from? In fact, on three other cruiselines (Chandris, Costa, and RCI) all prior to 2002, I never heard that term.

Try Carnival

:confused:

Whenever we don't much care for the choice of main dining selections in the CR we ask for a filet mignon with béarnaise sauce. The meat, even in the CR, is fantastic, and SO much better than we get at home in Switzerland. There is never a quibble or an "I'll see with the chef" The answer is always "How would you like it done?"

I have also ( 3 times now ) ordered a complete Indian meal. Twice for just Ken and me and once for a group of CCers - we were 8. Each time the food has been very good. It isn't what I would class as "high end" Indian cuisine, such as one gets at Rasoï in London and Geneva, or even at Amaya in London BUT it is very good, the flavours are well done and their terminology is correct. Am organising a similar dinner for a small group of CCers on the March '12 TA cruise!

Aside from that - we once had soft shell crabs as an appetiser in the CR. We love them and cannot get them here, at all. I said this to the waiter. he immediately offered to produce them for lunch the next day - and even asked how many we would like!! AND they were wonderful too!

As for the Mexican. Switzerland is a LONG way from Mexico and I am not even sure we have any Mexican restaurants here so I am very happy with what they offer at the Pool Deck on each cruise - but if Wes would like to invite us to his home for dinner we would certainly accept with pleasure!!

Bottom line is ask. Preferably the day or a couple of days before and preferably to the Maître d'Hôtel in the CR. it will happen!!

Jerry/Ken; thanks for sharing such wonderful special order dining experiences you have enjoyed and shared with others.

ps..Jerry,Ken; Rachel/DH anytime ya'll are in Atlanta--u have an open invitation to enjoy a multi-course Mexican fiesta at Casa Ida/Wes.

• 2 weeks later...

Foie gras is always available in Prime 7 as sliders, and continually shows up as a component of dishes in Signatures and Compass Rose. (I use its presence in a dish to help me eliminate choices when too many things look good -- I understand its appeal, but it's too unctuous for my tastes.)

* edit: Of course I don't mean to say that foie gras is available only in these dishes, just that it's everywhere on board. I am sure the kitchens will do whatever you want with it, given a little notice.

We were on the Voyager for 110 days this winter. We had a special order Mexican Dinner with friends at least 4 times and it was always very good. We gave them the menu and it was prepared nicely. Not the same things as the Tex-Mex pool deck!

I had a qualm with Regent regarding these special requests on a previous cruise. We were such fans of the crab legs in Prime 7 that we put a special request in with the maitre'd at Compass Rose, which was left unfilled. I asked and he said he could not accommodate such a request. Upon my return home, I reached out to Regent who actually confirmed (I have a letter stating so) that "in order to maintain the exclusivity of our reservation only venues, we are unable to accommodate requests for menu items from Prime 7 in the main dining room." I did not find this acceptable especially when the ship is provisioned with these ingredients and it is an "off the menu" item requiring no special attention or pull from existing kitchen staff resources.

I must say that Regent very generously compensated me for the inconvenience and snafu but still did not acknowledge that those yummy crab legs would ever be available on special request in Compass Rose... :(

That said, I was fortunate enough to get in a second time to P7 and indulged... Until our sailing on Voyager next month, I guess I will be crab-deprived...

On our last cruise,my wife ordered one of her favorite dishes...Beef Wellington. We requested it the night before and,when we went to dinner the following night,it was available for her. This was really putting themselves out because this dish is not normally made for one portion,so they had to cook up a whole one to give her the one slice.

• 3 months later...

I've read that the Compass Rose has special meals on the 2nd evening and the night before last evening. Our cruise stays in Venice on the first night and sails on the 2nd night. Does anyone out there happen to know when they schedule the special meal in the Compass Rose? Is it still the 2nd evening or do they push it to the 3rd. This info would help in making reservations for Signatures.

The special food typically goes along with -- following -- the captain's welcome reception. If you're sailing out of Venice on the second night, it's not likely there will be a captain's welcome that night -- he'll be busy driving! So I'd think it would be the next night. What time are you scheduled to sail?

-- Eric

(But don't get hung up on this; the menu might have a few more top-end items this night, but the meals in Compass Rose are good most nights.)

I agree with the last line of the above post; there will indeed be special items on those nights, but that has never been enough to sway my decision. I have never sat down in CR and been less than pleased. [The problem rather is eliminating choices!] Furthermore, if you're really hoping for (i.e.) a beef Wellington, or a lobster Thermidor, you can always request it, given 24 hours' notice.

I agree with cruiseej in terms of which night the Captain's Reception will likely occur. But, I somewhat disagree about how special the offerings are on that evening. A couple of appetizers, entrees and wines are served only on special evenings. As has been mentioned, you can special order items -- but you would have to know what they were if you wish to order them (menu's for all restaurants are available for vewing in the Horizon Lounge and Observation Lounge on the Voyager and Mariner -- not certain on the Navigator).

Also agree that eliminating choices isn't easy. One suggestion is to either ask for appetizer portions of more than one main course. Or, you could order two or three appetizers and a regular size main course (or any combination of the above). Keep in mind that it will be exceptionally crowded after the Reception. If you like to dine early, it could be an advantage. You can go to the Reception at 6:00 p.m. and wander over to CR right when they open at 6:30 p.m.

We have found that special ordering at lunch time can be really good (and fun with a group) since the kitchen is not so busy. Ordered a Chateaubriand for 4- Outstanding. We were also on a long cruise and we special ordered Lasagna and garlic bread for a table of 8. The kitchen staff was so proud of it, 4 of them paraded this huge dish of lasagna to our table so we could see it before they served. They obviously put alot of work into it. Again, we special ordered at lunch. But we had to be specific on how we wanted it made, ie, marinara meat sauce with mozzeralla (spelling?), ricotta and parmesian cheeses. We were also specific on how we wanted to have the garlic bread made. Needless to say our table was in heaven! We asked that the leftovers be given to the staff. Of course, you have to order 24 hours in advance.

• 1 month later...
We have found that special ordering at lunch time can be really good (and fun with a group) since the kitchen is not so busy. Ordered a Chateaubriand for 4- Outstanding. We were also on a long cruise and we special ordered Lasagna and garlic bread for a table of 8. The kitchen staff was so proud of it, 4 of them paraded this huge dish of lasagna to our table so we could see it before they served. They obviously put alot of work into it. Again, we special ordered at lunch. But we had to be specific on how we wanted it made, ie, marinara meat sauce with mozzeralla (spelling?), ricotta and parmesian cheeses. We were also specific on how we wanted to have the garlic bread made. Needless to say our table was in heaven! We asked that the leftovers be given to the staff. Of course, you have to order 24 hours in advance.

Absolutely incredible ideas. Cannot wait to order our lasagna!

I agree with cruiseej in terms of which night the Captain's Reception will likely occur. But, I somewhat disagree about how special the offerings are on that evening. A couple of appetizers, entrees and wines are served only on special evenings. As has been mentioned, you can special order items -- but you would have to know what they were if you wish to order them (menu's for all restaurants are available for vewing in the Horizon Lounge and Observation Lounge on the Voyager and Mariner -- not certain on the Navigator).

Also agree that eliminating choices isn't easy. One suggestion is to either ask for appetizer portions of more than one main course. Or, you could order two or three appetizers and a regular size main course (or any combination of the above). Keep in mind that it will be exceptionally crowded after the Reception. If you like to dine early, it could be an advantage. You can go to the Reception at 6:00 p.m. and wander over to CR right when they open at 6:30 p.m.

..Menus available daily for all venues on your in room interactive TV....They are usually up by 10:00 AM....:)

..Menus available daily for all venues on your in room interactive TV....They are usually up by 10:00 AM....:)

Yup, that's exactly the problem. It's too late to order something special for that night, or, conversely, you've had to special order something the night prior before seeing the menu in the morning. If they posted the menus a day in advance at 6 p.m., it would make it easier to decide if/when to make a special request. (Of course, Regent probably doesn't want to encourage too many special orders -- if lots of people did it, it would probably be too disruptive to the line in the galley.)

-- Eric

Archived