Carnival's Art Auctions??

CRUIZNUZ

Can anyone tell me who runs carnival's art auctions now? In August 2003 (our last carnival cruise) it was Park West Galleries. Now I am unsure if it is still Park West or is Carnival running themselves these days?

Thanks for your help.

Cruiznuz

Sorry to disagree, but Carnival has been taking back the art auction franchise since they found it more profitable to run the auctions themselves. It has been a gradual phase-in, however, and some Carnival ships are still served by Park West

On my Imagination cruise last month the auction was run by Carnival Fine Art Auctions. This is just my personal opinion, but I found the selection to be quite sub par from what Park West was able to offer onboard the ships in the past. This may be partly due to the fact that I enjoy collecting master works, from the likes of Dali, Erte...etc...

As I said though....just my opinion. I saw lots of activity at the art auction last month on the Imagination, just nothing that really caught my eye...

Can anyone tell me who runs carnival's art auctions now? In August 2003 (our last carnival cruise) it was Park West Galleries. Now I am unsure if it is still Park West or is Carnival running themselves these days?

Thanks for your help.

Cruiznuz

On the Spirit it is Carnival. So if you have the coupon book for a free print it isn't valid on the Spirit.

Sorry to disagree, but Carnival has been taking back the art auction franchise since they found it more profitable to run the auctions themselves. It has been a gradual phase-in, however, and some Carnival ships are still served by Park West

Brand New Ship Miracle was Park West in January this year. Good Selection, good Auctioneer.

two cruiselines...same stuff on all 3 cruises. Just how many "original signed" are out there of the same item??

Depends on the size of the limited edition. For some in the low hundreds... for Kinkade in the high thousands. A good auctioneer will point out the size of the edition. Few do! Caveat Emptor!

It's still Park West on the Holiday -- we went to one of them and had a good time. We got a good deal on one of the "specials" -- some of them are a come-on gimmick to get you to sign up for their credit card -- we got a very nice outdoors-y print for $35. Also got an extremely nice Snoopy for $80 for M-in-L's birthday (she is a Snoopy nut!) You don't even have to bid on anything -- it's a great chance to learn about different artists and their styles -- I am really impressed with Peter Max now, having learned about his painting style and his motivations. My wife and I may get some of his stuff for our home one day -- we are already starting on Kincaid, but some variety would be great!

I became an art auction junkie on the Diamond Princess. Came home with waaaay too much stuff. The auctioneer makes the day for me. This guy gave you so much info and seemd genuinely excited to teach novices (like me) about limited editions and what all of the markings mean etc. Looking forward to peeking at the Carnival Triumph's auction. Now that I am...ahem!..a veteran of the arts! :)

• 1 month later...

Still Park West on the Conquest. The auctioneer is Shane Erickson, very personable and friendly. The art manager is Adam Goodwin. They made a good team.

We had a lot of fun at the art auctions. We only bought one piece, but we enjoyed looking at everything.

Framing is a lot cheaper through them than on land through a place like Michael's. Those free raffle prints, Park West will frame for about $265 or $280 depending on which piece you select. At home, I priced it and it is about $600.

If you buy any of the "TO" take off pieces, be aware that if you are flying home, you will have to ship it through UPS if it is too large. We bought a very large TO serigraph and it is costing us $160 to ship. :eek: Oh well, what can you do. We love the piece and it will be over our fireplace mantle.

Do you get good deals on the artwork? Not really sure, but we looked at it as an enjoyable experience. We would never attend an art auction or browse a gallery at home, and now we feel that our lives have been enriched. Thank you Shane and Adam.

Well, despite the $160 shipping charge, I am very happy with our Takeoff painting. Arrived yesterday in perfect condition, and it looks great over the mantle! For those familiar with Park West, it is a Fanch. Very colorful and bright. Can't wait for the other ones to arrive directly from Park West.

I love the art auctions, it remains one of the most memorable parts of our trip. Looking forward to our next cruise and more of the Park West auctions.

• 1 month later...

I purchased 4 paintings on our recent Carnival Spirit Cruise May 11 - 18, 2005. The auctioneers where Michael and Jennifer I cant remember their last names. They where a very nice married couple. Michael was the auctioneer and Jennifer was his helper.

He was great.

He went into a great amount of detail about the painter, the edition, frame, signature and he also had printouts of other galleries with the same limited edition paintins and current price, he really went out of this way to tell you about the painter and where they got their start, etc...

I ended up buying 4 great pieces by Victor Ostrovsky.

One is even a limited edition that current has a value of 3 times what I purchased it for.. The others I still purchase under gallery prices and what I have seen on the internet, but the paintins where just gorgeous..

I dont know who ran our auction, but if I had to venture a guess I think Carnival did, because I remember in the past seeing the Park West Galleries logo on the capers and I did not see it this time around.

I do want to say shipping was 35.00 for each painting even though two paintings were huge... I cant remember the exact size I need to find my receipt.

In January on the Ecstasy it was Park West. I went to one art auction and was very unimpressed. I'd rather buy actual originals from self-representing artists, and can often do that for less than what Park West charges for a reproduction.

I probably won't go to any future art auctions no matter who runs them.

Every cruise we say we are going to stay away from the auctions.........but I now have 18 pieces from 6 cruises. I'm going to have to build more walls soon. I need help .......... Trisha

Trisha:

Soon am going to have your dilema.. I bought only 4 pieces and I dont know where am going to put them... :confused: lol

In January on the Ecstasy it was Park West. I went to one art auction and was very unimpressed. I'd rather buy actual originals from self-representing artists, and can often do that for less than what Park West charges for a reproduction.
If you'd rather buy an "actual original", as in an original oil painting, expect to pay thousands of dollars. Most of what Park West offers are lithographs or serigraphs. These are still "originals". The artist usually paints an original study, and from that a series of limited edition lithographs are produced. The artist hand signs and numbers them. In some cases, the artist will hand embellish them.

Lithographs and serigraphs are indeed "original" works by the artists. They are NOT reproductions. Definitely not along the lines of buying a poster, which is what seems to be your impression.

Archived