Carnival's Art Auctions??

CRUIZNUZ

I'm not exactly sure what the difference between a lithograph and a serigraph is. However, when they say it is "embellished", what they mean is they take a lithograph, and then the artist hand paints on it. Much more expensive than a lithograph or serigraph.

On the Spirit at the end of April it was Carnival's Fine Arts.

We thought the auctioneer stunk. He didn't know the work and showed too many pieces at the same time. We like Park West better. We own a gallery and are probably too opinionated about artwork but Park West did have some decent works.

We were at an art show last week that had the same beatles animation cell's we purchased on the ship. We bought ours for about $200 a piece. This place was selling their's, unframed, for $650. Such a deal.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference between a lithograph and a serigraph is. However, when they say it is "embellished", what they mean is they take a lithograph, and then the artist hand paints on it. Much more expensive than a lithograph or serigraph.

Thanks blackwing;

I remember the auctioneer stating something to that effect, how it take months to paint over it. I wish now I would not have been "tipsy" I bought 4 pieces of art and I bid on the last 3 after having

1 Mimosa and

7 glasses of wine..

I guess thats why they give you the wine.. lol

Anyhow, I know someone had asked about shipping:

My painting sizes where as follows without framing, the frame it comes with is gorgeous and all shipping was $35.00

Artist: Victor Ostrovsky

Title: London Contact

Year of Publication: 2003

Paper Size: 12 X20

Plate: Destroyed

Medium: Embellished Serigraph

Is the edition offered as a limited edition: Yes

Artist: Victor Ostrovky

Title: Oxford Five

Paper Size: 16 X 20

Medium: Embellished Serigraph

Is this edition offered as a limited edition: Yes

Tile: The Bait

Paper Size: 24 x 30

Is this edition offered as a limited edition: Yes

Title: Agent's Bride

Paper Size: 24 x 30

Is this offered as a limited edition: Yes

On the Spirit at the end of April it was Carnival's Fine Arts.

We thought the auctioneer stunk. He didn't know the work and showed too many pieces at the same time. We like Park West better. We own a gallery and are probably too opinionated about artwork but Park West did have some decent works.

We were at an art show last week that had the same beatles animation cell's we purchased on the ship. We bought ours for about $200 a piece. This place was selling their's, unframed, for $650. Such a deal.

Who was your auctioneer?

Serigraph – A print created by using the process of using stencils made on tightly stretched silk

Hand-embellished – A term used to describe prints to which an artist has added color

from

http://www.onlineartmall.com/artterms/

Thanks for the prompt response..

Now does anyone know if thats a good or bad thing??? LOL...

As you can tell I know nothing about art.. I know when it looks pretty, but thats about it.. But the auction did open my curiousity and I went to barnes and nobles when I got back and bought a bunch of books about art, but nothing about serigraph especially embellished serigraph

BSan1221,

Sorry I don't remember the auctioneers name. DH and I find the Park West auctioneers to be very competent, he was terrible.

Well I dont know much about art, but the guy we had was good, he explained all about the art work, where the artist grew up, how they god started, the galleries where the art work has been displayed..

What he did do was display more than one piece if it was the same artist, up to 3 pieces.

DLS: Since you know about art coudl you tell me if what I bought was a good buy?? and a deeper explanation of what is embellished serigraph??

Hand embellished serigraphs are very nice. I'm guessing you paid quite a bit for them.

Your shipping is $35 per painting? It sounds like your auction was not run by Park West. Are your paintings framed? Even though they are displayed as framed for the auction, sometimes they don't come with the frame.

With Park West, they put the unframed ones in a $35 shipping tube. It will hold 5 works. I believe the works that come framed usually have the frame and the shipping included in the price.

I would think that at least your two embellished serigraphs come framed.

I've also heard that Park West's selection is better than Carnival Fine Art's. I like the circle of Park West artists (Fanch, Krasnyansky, Tarkay, Le Kinff etc). The next cruise I take, sad to say, one of the determining factors will be whether the auctioneers are Park West.

Since you know about art coudl you tell me if what I bought was a good buy?? and a deeper explanation of what is embellished serigraph??
It depends on what you paid for them. We can't judge whether it's a good deal otherwise. ;)

derf's link to the definition is my understanding of what it means to be "embellished". Essentially, it's more unique and more valuable than a regular serigraph.

Hand embellished serigraphs are very nice. I'm guessing you paid quite a bit for them.

Your shipping is $35 per painting? It sounds like your auction was not run by Park West. Are your paintings framed? Even though they are displayed as framed for the auction, sometimes they don't come with the frame.

With Park West, they put the unframed ones in a $35 shipping tube. It will hold 5 works. I believe the works that come framed usually have the frame and the shipping included in the price.

I would think that at least your two embellished serigraphs come framed.

I've also heard that Park West's selection is better than Carnival Fine Art's. I like the circle of Park West artists (Fanch, Krasnyansky, Tarkay, Le Kinff etc). The next cruise I take, sad to say, one of the determining factors will be whether the auctioneers are Park West.

As per my invoice on the ship EACH painting brings a gorgeous frame.. I paid $35.00 PER painting to get shipped to Miami, Florida.

Like I said I dont know much about art but my husband and I saw these paintings and fell in love. We paid much less than gallery prices because I looked it up on the net and in different places. We paid less than 900.00 for the large ones and less than 600.00 for the smaller ones, including shipping, the only thing I didnt like was that carnival charges 10% of the purchase price for something.. I dont know what it is called but its like a fee for purchasing the piece, I asked about it they said thats the norm in the art community.. But I thought they should tell you at the begining of the auction. That 10% fee is also included in my purchase price

derf's link to the definition is my understanding of what it means to be "embellished". Essentially, it's more unique and more valuable than a regular serigraph.

There were no links to "Embellished Serigraph" that explained what it was. No FAQ, Dictionary

If you'd rather buy an "actual original", as in an original oil painting, expect to pay thousands of dollars. Most of what Park West offers are lithographs or serigraphs. These are still "originals". The artist usually paints an original study, and from that a series of limited edition lithographs are produced. The artist hand signs and numbers them. In some cases, the artist will hand embellish them.

Lithographs and serigraphs are indeed "original" works by the artists. They are NOT reproductions. Definitely not along the lines of buying a poster, which is what seems to be your impression.

I have "actual originals" - as in acrylic paintings, and as in watercolors, and as in pencil sketches, and as in colored pencil. Granted, they are not by "name" artists, which is why I mentioned the self-representing artist thing. I don't have any oil paintings at this time. None of them cost me thousands of dollars. They are all works that I personally love - and that no one else has (other than the ones that prints are sold of, since for the works I bought, the right to reproduce them remains with the artist). Having them hanging in my house makes me happy. They may or may not appreciate in value, but that isn't why I bought them.

The artist usually paints an original study, and from that a series of limited edition lithographs are produced. The artist hand signs and numbers them.

I'm sorry, but this sounds exactly like a limited edition print to me - limited edition prints are hand signed and numbered by the artist. I looked "lithograph" up on dictionary.com and their definition is "a print produced by lithography." Their definition of "serigrah" is "a print made by the silk-screen process." Perhaps this meets your definition of "original" but it doesn't mine - and that's ok!:)

Moonvine:

Good for you.. :D

As long as it makes you happy then you go for it... :D

I think blackwing was trying to give us a little insight into the art communities definition of things.. Which I think we all appreciate.

Park west is still on the Valor and we had a blast at the auctions this last week. We swore we would not buy anything and ended up with 4 works. Oh well, someday I will have more walls.

[quote name='joana']Park west is still on the Valor and we had a blast at the auctions this last week. We swore we would not buy anything and ended up with 4 works. Oh well, someday I will have more walls.[/QUOTE]

Ditto... I dont know where am going to hang all four paintings I bought..

I dont want to repeat where my mother said to put them since I might get banned from the board.. LOL :D ;)

Got off the Miracle on Sunday. Park West was doing the auctions. Went to one, not really impressed. My sister is a graphic artist, so I know what she has educated me about. Works were okay, but some went for way too much money!

June

Its good to be an educated consumer. I saw 6 paintings that started at 15K through 68K, no one bid on it, I guess they most have really been up there. The most expensive thing I saw went for 9,000.00 imagine how many foo foo drink you can get for that.

[quote name='Bsan1221']WHat is an [color=red][b]Embellished Serigraph [/b][/color]??????[/QUOTE]

It is a seriographically reproduced piece of art which the artist has personally embellished by adding highlights or other features. Thus, every embellished piece of art is unique. Peter Max, as well as many others, will often embellish their work

[quote name='yogimax']It is a seriographically reproduced piece of art which the artist has personally embellished by adding highlights or other features. Thus, every embellished piece of art is unique. Peter Max, as well as many others, will often embellish their work[/QUOTE]

Am guessing as another poster said its more valuable than other pieces???

Is it true it takes months to reproduce???

[quote name='Bsan1221']Am guessing as another poster said its more valuable than other pieces???

Is it true it takes months to reproduce???[/QUOTE]

yes, they take months to yrs to make, for lithograph, they need to make a stone/metal plate for EACH colors. for example, say a painting has the letter A, B, C, A in red color, B in blue, C in black, the artist will have to make 3 plates for each letter, then put some red ink on the A, than run a piece of paper thur the press, and than put some blue ink on the B, than run this same piece of paper thur the press again, so now you will have the red A and blue B letter in this painting, than C so on and so for...thats why the more colorful a painting, the more plates will be needed, the more expensive it is to make.
Serigraphy is the same, except it uses silk screens instead of stone/metal plates. They will destroy the stones/silk screens afterward, so there won't be anymore to be made.

hand embellished ones are worth a lot more because the artist personally added something to the lithography/serigraphy. Could be a border and each one is unique, and in limited supply.

Archived