Carnival's Art Auctions??

CRUIZNUZ

[quote name='yogimax']It is a seriographically reproduced piece of art which the artist has personally embellished by adding highlights or other features. Thus, every embellished piece of art is unique. Peter Max, as well as many others, will often embellish their work[/QUOTE]

What does "seriographically reproduced " reproduced mean?

[quote name='richardyc']yes, they take months to yrs to make, for lithograph,
hand embellished ones are worth a lot more because the artist personally added something to the lithography/serigraphy. [/QUOTE]

They could just add one dot.
What is the difference between a lithography and a serigraphy?

:) [quote name='richardyc']yes, they take months to yrs to make, for lithograph, they need to make a stone/metal plate for EACH colors. for example, say a painting has the letter A, B, C, A in red color, B in blue, C in black, the artist will have to make 3 plates for each letter, then put some red ink on the A, than run a piece of paper thur the press, and than put some blue ink on the B, than run this same piece of paper thur the press again, so now you will have the red A and blue B letter in this painting, than C so on and so for...thats why the more colorful a painting, the more plates will be needed, the more expensive it is to make.
Serigraphy is the same, except it uses silk screens instead of stone/metal plates. They will destroy the stones/silk screens afterward, so there won't be anymore to be made.

hand embellished ones are worth a lot more because the artist personally added something to the lithography/serigraphy. Could be a border and each one is unique, and in limited supply.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great explanation....

I guess I made a good purchase ;)

I did look up the gallery prices and other prices on the internet and they where going for a LOT more than what I paid for them... WOW!!! I am very happy... :) The paintings are gorgeous and I cant wait to get them

I did want to state how very well packed my painting was.. It took me a good 15 mins just to open the box and another 3 minutes to search the huge box it came in and then another good 10 mins to rip open the bubble wrap and additional wrap it came in...

am exhausted...

[quote name='Bsan1221']Am guessing as another poster said its more valuable than other pieces???

[/QUOTE]

Of course, the most valuable piece of art will be the original. I think it's also important to remember that a lithograph or serigraph has much more value than a poster. You also want to examine the size of the edition. Some artists will limit a run to 250 to 500 pieces. Thomas Kinkade, on the other hand, will have edition sizes in the thousands

[quote name='yogimax']Of course, the most valuable piece of art will be the original. I think it's also important to remember that a lithograph or serigraph has much more value than a poster. You also want to examine the size of the edition. Some artists will limit a run to 250 to 500 pieces. Thomas Kinkade, on the other hand, will have edition sizes in the thousands[/QUOTE]

Very nice..

I know the artist I bought the series is less than 150 pieces.. Thanks for all the great info.

Well regardless, I love my paintings.. ;) :)

[quote name='Bsan1221']Thanks for all the great info...

Maybe you will know.... Where can I get the best information regarding resale values??? and current art values???[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if you have already mentioned this... was it Park West Galeries or Carnival Fine Arts that ran the auction?

[quote name='Bsan1221']Thanks for all the great info...

Maybe you will know.... Where can I get the best information regarding resale values??? and current art values???[/QUOTE]

You might want to contact Carnival Fine Arts for an up-to-date appraisal. We had one art auctioneer who gave out his email address and invited folks to submit their questions. There are probably those who have good suggestions, but my advice would be to read, learn, ask a lot of questions, investigate and most of all - have fun!

[quote name='yogimax']You might want to contact Carnival Fine Arts for an up-to-date appraisal. We had one art auctioneer who gave out his email address and invited folks to submit their questions. There are probably those who have good suggestions, but my advice would be to read, learn, ask a lot of questions, investigate and most of all - have fun![/QUOTE]

I didnt know they would give appraisals..

Thanks for the advice..

i have gone to Park West auctions on land. I havne't gone to any of them on the ship but my parents have. It seems to be much cheaper than buying them on land. It is quite expensive going to a Park West auction here in NY-i can't afford it.

Bonnie

[quote name='bonz15']i have gone to Park West auctions on land. I havne't gone to any of them on the ship but my parents have. It seems to be much cheaper than buying them on land. It is quite expensive going to a Park West auction here in NY-i can't afford it.

Bonnie[/QUOTE]

;) Well now you can go and see the art on the ship..

[quote name='bonz15']i have gone to Park West auctions on land. I havne't gone to any of them on the ship but my parents have. It seems to be much cheaper than buying them on land. It is quite expensive going to a Park West auction here in NY-i can't afford it.

Bonnie[/QUOTE]

I've been to one of their land auctions on Long Island. Believe me, the ones at sea are much more fun. You'll also have the opportunity to win some free stuff. With Park West, I consider the "carry offs" to be the best deals

[quote name='yogimax']I've been to one of their land auctions on Long Island. Believe me, the ones at sea are much more fun. You'll also have the opportunity to win some free stuff. With Park West, I consider the "carry offs" to be the best deals[/QUOTE]

Carryoffs??? What does that mean?

[quote name='Bsan1221']Carryoffs??? What does that mean?[/QUOTE]

Let's assume there is an edition size of 100 for a piece by Le Kinff and Park West has no more in stock back at their warehouse. The last piece on the ship will be designated a "carry-off." The price will be reduced and, best of all, if it is framed, you can snag a great bargain. The reason I used Le Kinff as an example is that we got a great deal on such a framed carry-off. Two words of caution. The first is that the item is sold as-is. Sometimes there is minor damage to the frame. Also remember that you will literally have to carry the item off the ship. No shipping to your home. We always keep our eyes open for the carry-offs with Park West.

[quote name='Bsan1221']Thanks for all the great info... I'll be on the look out..

Will they say its a carry off? Or do you have to ask if there are any??[/QUOTE]

Hi. Actually it's "Take Off," rather than "Carry Off." With Park West, go to the preview. Most of the unframed take-offs will be labeled "TO" followed by a number. The best deals, though, will be on the framed art. For those, you usually have to wait until the actual auction when the auctioneer will announce them as take-offs. That's why it makes sense to tag everything you like. You never know when one maight be a TO!

Who are some of the artists you like?

[quote name='yogimax']Hi. Actually it's "Take Off," rather than "Carry Off." With Park West, go to the preview. Most of the unframed take-offs will be labeled "TO" followed by a number. The best deals, though, will be on the framed art. For those, you usually have to wait until the actual auction when the auctioneer will announce them as take-offs. That's why it makes sense to tag everything you like. You never know when one maight be a TO!

Who are some of the artists you like?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great info, I'll keep it in mind for my next cruise.

Well I have never really been into art or studied it.. I can tell you that the Carnival Fine Arts auction aboard the Carnival Spirit 2 weeks ago did open my appetite to learn more. :)

I saw art pieces that were incredible..

I saw a painting by Marc Chagall - Called "At the Dawn of Love" Very Lovely

Peter Max, had a couple of nice ones.

I saw another painter but I cant remember her name.. It was a woman that photographs herself and then copies that photograph into a painting. She was putting on heels , look into the miror, eating dinner in venice.. I wish I knew her name.. Very nice paintings.

There was another painter whos name I wrote down but I dont remember off hand he does Hawaiian landscapes.. Just Gorgeous.

I fell in love with my Victor Ostrovsky paintings. Just the colors where incredible... I ended up purchasing all 4 because they where so nice.. If you would like to see one click on the link below.. [url]http://www.discoverygalleries.com/ArtistSlideShow.asp?image_id=754#Artist[/url]

Your Ostrovsky painting looks really neat and it sure looks like my city! I guess you learned about his rather fascinating background and the influence it had on his art work. I've discovered that some auctioneers are terrific in sharing information and others just want to get through the auction as quickly as possible. Guess its mostly the "luck of the draw." (pun intended)

[quote name='yogimax']Your Ostrovsky painting looks really neat and it sure looks like my city! I guess you learned about his rather fascinating background and the influence it had on his art work. I've discovered that some auctioneers are terrific in sharing information and others just want to get through the auction as quickly as possible. Guess its mostly the "luck of the draw." (pun intended)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read up about him and yes its fascinating..

These are the other ones

[url]http://www.discoverygalleries.com/ArtistSlideShow.asp?image_id=1523[/url]

[url]http://www.discoverygalleries.com/ArtistSlideShow.asp?image_id=1810#Artist[/url]

[url]http://www.discoverygalleries.com/ArtistSlideShow.asp?image_id=1529#Artist[/url]

If you purchase a Takeoff from Park West, you need to keep in mind the cost of shipping it home (if you are flying). They will have a UPS guy available right when you disembark. Don't believe what the auctioneer says as far as the cost. He told us it would cost $40 to ship a 4' by 3' frame. Ended up being $160. Oh well, I still love it.

I do agree that Takeoffs are the best deals.

Park West usually tries to get you to buy the appraisal from them. They will automatically add an additional charge in to the cost of your piece when they invoice you, unless you tell them you don't want it. I'm surprised that Carnival Fine Arts doesn't offer this.

[quote name='blackwing']
Park West usually tries to get you to buy the appraisal from them. They will automatically add an additional charge in to the cost of your piece when they invoice you, unless you tell them you don't want it. I'm surprised that Carnival Fine Arts doesn't offer this.[/QUOTE]

It was never mentioned before or after the auction about an appraisal. I didnt think of it while I was there I was a little tipsy from all the free champagne ;) .

I will call them and ask..

Also, they charged me 10% for each piece as a "Gallery Fee" ... Is that the norm?? I asked about it they said its the norm in the art community and it covers their expenses.. :rolleyes:

Archived