Royal wedding fashion

GORDONCHICK

So by now most of you have at least seen the wedding gown of the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate). What did you think? I was reading another fashion forum and many thought the gown should have been more modern, blingy, slinky, etc. Many bemoaned that it lacked "wow". Personally, I thought the gown very classic and elegant, and liked it much much more than Diana's famed gown. Diana looked like the gown wore her rather than the other way around.

I also really liked the clean lines of Pippa's dress. Being an American, I don't get the hat thing, but understand that it's what they do. I really don't understand the incredibly funky ones that seem to call attention to themselves, such as the ones Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie wore - oh, my!

113264516_10_gallery_main.jpg

They do seem to have their mother's sometimes strange taste, don't they? Don't get me wrong - I think Sarah would be great to hang out with and is much more "normal" than the royals - which is why she never really fit it.

So by now most of you have at least seen the wedding gown of the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate). What did you think? I was reading another fashion forum and many thought the gown should have been more modern, blingy, slinky, etc. Many bemoaned that it lacked "wow". Personally, I thought the gown very classic and elegant, and liked it much much more than Diana's famed gown. Diana looked like the gown wore her rather than the other way around.

I also really liked the clean lines of Pippa's dress. Being an American, I don't get the hat thing, but understand that it's what they do. I really don't understand the incredibly funky ones that seem to call attention to themselves, such as the ones Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie wore - oh, my!

They do seem to have their mother's sometimes strange taste, don't they? Don't get me wrong - I think Sarah would be great to hang out with and is much more "normal" than the royals - which is why she never really fit it.

I thought the dress was perfect. She was elegant and the dress was reminiscent of Grace Kelly's - another commoner marrying royalty. Pippa was stunning and her Mother and Camilla looked great too. As for Beatrice and Eugenie - the epitome of What Not to Wear IMHO.

I LOVED the wedding dress. I think it fit her perfectly - in actual fit and style-wise. She knows what looks good on her AND what looks good on camera, I think. The corsetry around the waist was gorgeous - my favorite part.

The hats on Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie - not my thing, but fun for a 20 & 21yr old young women.

My favorite hat was the gorgeous sweep of Charlene Wittstock (Prince Albert of Monaco's fiancee) I think I like the dress but haven't been able to find a full length photo of it yet. Had an interesting/different neckline but was a nude color so she wasn't trying to standup the bride or anything. Here's the hat & dress neckline: http://www.life.com/gallery/59791/image/113264517/channels/Celebrity/print/1

Yes, I suppose I should have said "neutral" and not "nude" - I only had a quick glance on tv earlier and hadn't found my photo yet (which does show a pale grey/blue and not a beige/nude) I still like it. A little bland but the collar - I love that collar. And I still like the hat.:p

Tara Palmer Tomkinson is in the electric blue - one of Prince Charles' godchildren. She has a great body but I didn't love the outfit. But people didn't focus on her recent repeat nose job with that hat covering it ;-)

I really liked Kate's dress and it reminded me of Grace Kelly. However the bodice bothered me. It looked like those dresses from the 50's that made the chest look too pointy.:eek:

Funny, it seems just yesterday I was getting up very early to see William's mother get married. :)

I thought it was a pretty gown...simple, yet elegant enough for a future queen. Too much "bling" would have cheapened her look.

I do have to agree about the "pointy-ness"...but I guess that assures no unnecessary "movement"....that would be so "unroyal"!

I thought it was a pretty gown...simple, yet elegant enough for a future queen. Too much "bling" would have cheapened her look.

I do have to agree about the "pointy-ness"...but I guess that assures no unnecessary "movement"....that would be so "unroyal"!

I thought it was simply elegant and having a gown fashioned similar to Grace Kelly's-was brilliant. After all Grace Kelly is right up there with Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepbourn and Princess Diana for having the knack of dressing elegantly.

As far as having something more modern-what is wrong with wearing something that is timeless? I also did not see the gown as being 50's at all- she had a scooped neck-Princess Grace's had sheer netting/ lace? above the lace bodice-no baring of the chest at all. Not that Kate's gown was revealing her bosom no--just a hint of sexiness. Kate's also had a slimmer line as you see in today's wedding gowns-no small crinoline poofing from the waist as Princess Grace"s gown had. The only thing I did not care for was the bustle-otherwise the gown is lovely.

I agree her gown is more attractive than Princess Diana's was. Princess Diana was too tall to carry off that dress. It looked like something for a small woman or perhaps thirteen year old for her first prom. I read once that she said she would have never picked that gown if she had married a few years older-and I can see that-her taste in clothing became more sophisticated as she matured, look back at photos of her before she married and the first couple of years of marriage. If she had married at 29-I could see her picking something similar to Kate.

Now, Pippa's gown I liked, but why white- did it have to be the same color as Kate's? I understand flower girls (or in England bridesmaids)wear white-but is it a British thing for the maid of honor to also?

I thought they both looked adorable! She had the Grace Kelly look, elegant, simple, just lovely...And as for William....I thought he looked just like a "real life Prince Charming"....like he had just stepped out of the storybook Cinderella!

I'm just such a pushover when it comes to weddings and romance!;);):D

Hi, I thought she looked beautiful...simply lovely:). More bling?:eek:

Don't the people who posted that question realize she is following

protocal? The arms being covered, etc....its part of tradition. She

knew exactly what was expected and it fit her style to the tee as well.

Personally, I think the dress look absolutely wonderful. I loved the lace

(and I am not a lace gal) but I thought Kate was a beautiful bride and

the dress was perfect for her.:)

Oh did you see the Queen's dress too? She was in bright yellow!

I really liked Kate's dress and it reminded me of Grace Kelly. However the bodice bothered me. It looked like those dresses from the 50's that made the chest look too pointy.:eek:

Funny, it seems just yesterday I was getting up very early to see William's mother get married. :)

LOL! That was not the dresses-that was the bras! Are you old enough to remember the 80's and Madonna's stage costumes with the 50's bras? Madonna's costumes brought back childhood memories of my mother's bras. Now I was born in 1954-so I never wore one of those-LOL! but I remember my mom's!

I thought the bride looked lovely and have hopes that the style will influence bridal gowns here to get away from strapless. I suppose I'm the type who thinks a bride should look beautiful and radiant, not sexy or slinky.

I thought her mother and sister looked wonderful, but I have to disagree about Camilla...I though the coat looked like it was too big for her and made her look heavier than she is.

I loved seeing all the men in uniform, I loved the carriages, the crowds, the excitement. Luckily I had it recorded so I could fast forward through the parts I didn't want to see.

All in all, loved watching the wedding and all the pomp, fun stuff.

I think I think Beatrice and Euginie wore those awful hats to mock the whole wedding since their mother, Sarah Fergeson, didn't get an invite! LOL!

I absolutely loved Kate's dress though. So classy and timeless. I know some of the fashion critics are saying it wasn't young or trendy enough, but that would have been so dated looking in a few years and totally inappropriate for such a grand and historic occasion. I think Pipa's dress was a nod to the young and modern element and will be in demand for a lot of modern brides.

I think I think Beatrice and Euginie wore those awful hats to mock the whole wedding since their mother, Sarah Fergeson, didn't get an invite! LOL!

I absolutely loved Kate's dress though. So classy and timeless. I know some of the fashion critics are saying it wasn't young or trendy enough, but that would have been so dated looking in a few years and totally inappropriate for such a grand and historic occasion. I think Pipa's dress was a nod to the young and modern element and will be in demand for a lot of modern brides.

Hi, good morning:) the critics are saying that it was not young enough?:confused:

I must be reading different critics than you.....I saw many, many folks

saying it was the perfect dress.:D

Good Morning!

I was lucky enough to see Kate walk down the aisle yesterday. My first thought was Grace Kelly as well :).

I loved Kate's dress. Thought it was perfect on her and she looked comfortable. I did not like Dianna's dress at all. I thought it was way too big and shape less.

I thought some of the hats ladies wore were crazy. What's up with the hats on the forehead? Got me on that one.

What made me laugh was Prince Harry turning around and taking a peek at Kate coming down the aisle and Prince William giving him a nudge to turn back around :D

Nora

Good Morning!

I was lucky enough to see Kate walk down the aisle yesterday. My first thought was Grace Kelly as well :).

I loved Kate's dress. Thought it was perfect on her and she looked comfortable. I did not like Dianna's dress at all. I thought it was way too big and shape less.

I thought some of the hats ladies wore were crazy. What's up with the hats on the forehead? Got me on that one.

What made me laugh was Prince Harry turning around and taking a peek at Kate coming down the aisle and Prince William giving him a nudge to turn back around :D

Nora

Nora, you are in London? You saw it live? Neat!;)

I loved Kate's wedding dress. It was perfect for a royal wedding in such a grand church. Think the bouquet should have been larger.

Pippa's dress was lovely, but I'm not a fan of ivory on bridesmaids. I would have put her in red or navy to co-ordinate with Harry and the little boys. Would have

used the same colour on the flowergirls waist sashs.

Liked Camilla's two tone coat and the Queen in her bright yellow.

Personally I love hats!, but I don't get the new middle of the forehead style that the Princess's and Posh and a bunch of others were wearing.Princesses Eugenie's Vivianne Westwood blue outfit was a bit much, maybe it should have been a simpler hat with it.

I don't see anything wrong with Princesses Beatrice's dress and coat. The hat isn't for everyone but it is stylish. My problem is with her wearing way too much black eyeliner to a daytime wedding. Her eyes belong to a zombie raccoon!

Loved the getaway car after the afternoon reception. Everyone online is going on about the "L" for Learners Permit sign on the front, but no one has noticed that there are red hearts on the four corners. It's not a driving learners permit, it's a love learners permit. LOL. :D

loved everything about the dress. it was just lovely. since i am not one too use alot of makeup i noticed alot of blush on her cheeks. but that is just me. but im sure her makeup artist had just the right amount in mind for her. she was beautiful. some of hats where a little out there. but that is the way they wear them. and since they are worn for almost all events i suppose it is hard too come up with new fashions for the ladies. who was the lady that made the foo-pah of not wearing a hat?. they showed the invitation and it said specificly too wear a hat. how could she forget too put one on :confused:.

one more off topic question. i noticed in the open coach when William saluted she bent her head down. as soon as he was done her head came back up. is this protacol?? she was so composed and seemed so relaxed during the whole day. what a wonderful event that was perfect and righ on que. even the little girls did very thing right. even Harrys peek at her coming down the isle was what made the day something special to remember. leave it too Harry :D.

loved everything about the dress. it was just lovely. since i am not one too use alot of makeup i noticed alot of blush on her cheeks. but that is just me. but im sure her makeup artist had just the right amount in mind for her.

She reportedly did her own make-up.

I watched the Fashion Police royal edition on E! last night and they said the dress worn by Pippa is the exact same dress worn previously by Cameron Diaz! (in red) :eek:

I thought the bride looked lovely and have hopes that the style will influence bridal gowns here to get away from strapless. I suppose I'm the type who thinks a bride should look beautiful and radiant, not sexy or slinky.

<snip>

I totally agree with you! I'm embarrassed at what some brides are wearing these days. The sexy/stripper/fairy look is so not appropriate for a church wedding. Her dress was timeless and just gorgeous. She looked like a future Queen.

But Kate did strapless for the reception. And she did that well, too. I love the little touch of bling at the waist. This is a very modern look, yet still appropriate.

Kate_reception_dress.jpg

I totally agree with you! I'm embarrassed at what some brides are wearing these days. The sexy/stripper/fairy look is so not appropriate for a church wedding. Her dress was timeless and just gorgeous. She looked like a future Queen.

But Kate did strapless for the reception. And she did that well, too. I love the little touch of bling at the waist. This is a very modern look, yet still appropriate.

Kate_reception_dress.jpg

Maybe this second dress made those who wanted more modern happy. I liked the actual bridal gown best, though this is pretty also. This would be nice for a formal event-which is exactly what it was I guess- a dinner after the main wedding event- although I understand this dinner was an extended celebration of the wedding. (boy what a long day for those guys)

This second gown made me think of my daughter-she loves the spaghetti straps and strapless-but since she is cold natured, she also almost always wears a shrug over her gown or dress.

lwho was the lady that made the foo-pah of not wearing a hat?.

The British Prime Minister's wife Samantha Cameron.

one more off topic question. i noticed in the open coach when William saluted she bent her head down. as soon as he was done her head came back up. is this protacol??

He saluted and she bowed her head out of respect when they passed the Cenotaph but I haven't seen the whole wedding yet to notice other times.

The British Prime Minister's wife Samantha Cameron.

He saluted and she bowed her head out of respect when they passed the Cenotaph but I haven't seen the whole wedding yet to notice other times.

thanks for the reply. i think it is amazing how she just naturally knows and does the correct regal customs on que. she is a wonderful princess for William. :) i am so happy for them.

Archived