They Got Him!!!! Anyone celebrating! (I am) Anyone rethinking the Med/Mideast?

A Sixth?

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." Mark Twain

I struggled yesterday to write a post that summed up my feelings without inadvertently offending anyone on religious or political grounds, then gave up. Mr. Clemens summed up my feelings perfectly! Thanks, Don!

I did not know that burial at sea is a Musulim tradition. I guess when they die in the desert they are put on a cruise ship for a proper burial,

I was thinking about a burial at sea but decided against it

I know a CruiseCritic member who's ashes were (how do you put it) went overboard

Muslims must be buried within 24 hrs of death. The @ sea was most probably done to avoid creating a burial site/shrine. There are details which the general public will never know. I am sure there are autopsy photos, notes etc. They will not be released in our lifetime. Having worked in an ME office these are not something you would really want to see.

Carole

Muslims must be buried within 24 hrs of death. The @ sea was most probably done to avoid creating a burial site/shrine. There are details which the general public will never know. I am sure there are autopsy photos, notes etc. They will not be released in our lifetime. Having worked in an ME office these are not something you would really want to see.

Carole

Does anyone know which Medical Examiner was used for. this case?

Does anyone know which Medical Examiner was used for. this case?

My best guess probably a combination of USN pathologists and Dover AFB pathologists. I sure that a major medical team was on board the USN vessel awaiting the outcome.

Carole

My best guess probably a combination of USN pathologists and Dover AFB pathologists. I sure that a major medical team was on board the USN vessel awaiting the outcome.

Carole

Carole, you are probably right. You mentioned you worked in an ME's office. Are you a forensic pathologist, toxicologist or a serologist?

Not allowed in Judaism. I'm trying to remember if the actually ever found the Daker, an Israeli submarine that went down in the late 60s. There was talk about it. Also a discussion if to go down and bring back the bodies if possible, and that kinda skeeved me. The crew died honorably, and I didn't like the idea of messing with their bones. So I don't remember if they actually found the sub, but if they did they decided to leave it be. I guess the navy rabbis felt the same way.

In 1965, she was purchased by Israel as part of a group of three T-class submarines. She was commissioned into the Israeli Sea Corps in November 1967 and underwent sea and diving trials in Scotland. Dakar departed for Israel on 9 January 1968, but disappeared en route with all hands. Despite extensive searches over the course of three decades, Dakar's wreckage was not found until 1999, when it was located between the islands of Cyprus and Crete. A portion of the vessel was salvaged and is on display at the Naval Museum in Haifa. The exact cause of Dakar's sinking is not known.

In 2008, a movie was released, entitled Full Circle, a documentary about the search for the wreckage.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Dakar

Yes, and an annoucement made with dignity and not theatrics.

I don't think this is the end of anything except Bin Laden, but for today, that is enough.

I completely agree with you!!!

We are heading to the Mediterranean on 27 June and will not change our plans.

Z

I rather like what Martin Luther King said ""I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just to add a little clarification...

The first sentence of that quote is not MLK's. I'm sure he would have agreed with that statement but it was from a tweet, that quickly spread and at the beginning, or somewhere along the way, the quotation markes were misplaced. Anyways, a more complete quote from MLK's book, Strength to Love, reads:

"Why should we love our enemies? The first reason is fairly obvious. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darnkess to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction...The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation"

We live in hard world, and sometimes we find it necessary to end the life of one to save the lives of others. In this case, I agree that the actions took were necessary. However, when we do find the need to rid ourselves of a scourge by killing another person, this may be a relief, but should not be a celebration. Whenever we see it necessary to end the life of another human being, we should see it as a collective failure that we let it get to that point. Instead of celebrating, we should take this time to rember those we lost, honor those that serve, and ponder a day when sending our family away to kill and be killed will not be necessary.

You actually believe he is dead? Wow... Thanks God we have only 50 or something gullible and naive people here. I was afraid the number could be higher.

Here we go! Let's see, let me guess -- a "birther", "conspiracy theory enthusiast", "fundamentalist anti-government"..., :rolleyes:

Here we go! Let's see, let me guess -- a "birther", "conspiracy theory enthusiast", "fundamentalist anti-government"..., :rolleyes:

As I said before I want to see the long form death certificate.

Hey look, even Ann Coulter and Sara(h) Palin say that he is dead, but the credit former President Bush with the success of the mission!

Of course had it failed.... which it didn't... they would be fast enough to say it was President Obama's fault. Which he would admit in such a horrible scenerio, unlike some who has yet to admit that there were no weapons of mass destruction....

Hey look, even Ann Coulter and Sara(h) Palin say that he is dead, but the credit former President Bush with the success of the mission!

Of course had it failed.... which it didn't... they would be fast enough to say it was President Obama's fault. Which he would admit in such a horrible scenerio, unlike some who has yet to admit that there were no weapons of mass destruction....

Former President Harry Truman once said..."It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit" That philosophy is what made this country great but in recent years there have been too many glory hogs who try to get credit for everything that goes right and blame someone else for everything that goes wrong. I personally believe that Bin Laden would still be alive if it wasn't for the efforts and achievements of many different people. I am a firm believer in the importance of being a team player and have a problem with politicians who get so wrapped up in party politics that they forget what the real team is.

I agree with Both of Bridge Mavin's posts - we've got to quit taking credit for everything that happens even near us, and quit blaming those we disagree with for the bad wx.....by the way, I do feel so good that Celebrity took my suggestion I mentioned a few years ago on a Comment Sheet about giving us loyal cruisers free drinks! You can thank my anytime we cruise together by buying me a drink.....outside of the Elite Lounge!

Personally, I thought it was real class when a few of Pres Obama's opponents acknowedged him for this action, and really Low Class of those that didn't mention him at all. Not that we'll remember this in a few months and demand perfection in the next crisis.

Den

Former President Harry Truman once said..."It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit" That philosophy is what made this country great but in recent years there have been too many glory hogs who try to get credit for everything that goes right and blame someone else for everything that goes wrong. I personally believe that Bin Laden would still be alive if it wasn't for the efforts and achievements of many different people. I am a firm believer in the importance of being a team player and have a problem with politicians who get too wrapped up in party politics to do this well.

Harry Truman? Are you sure? I always thought that was Ronald Reagan.

You may be right, I did a quick google, only found it to be attributed to RR, but it may be older.

......I did a quick google, only found it to be attributed to RR, but it may be older.

RR?? I don't think Roy Rodgers said that, but I could be wrong.....ok, I'm logging off and will try to get some work done.

Den

Interesting article about the origins of the fake quote! I´ll admit I didn´t research it when I posted it. I love Martin Luther King´s words (I´ve used lots of excerpts of his speeches in talks I give at local schools here about racism) and assumed the quote was his...

oops!

Kim

Harry Truman? Are you sure? I always thought that was Ronald Reagan.

You may be right, I did a quick google, only found it to be attributed to RR, but it may be older.

Mafig, after reading your post I googled it to be sure and found a source that attributes that quote to Harry Truman. However, it is very possible that Ronald Regan also used it.

Interesting article about the origins of the fake quote! I´ll admit I didn´t research it when I posted it. I love Martin Luther King´s words (I´ve used lots of excerpts of his speeches in talks I give at local schools here about racism) and assumed the quote was his...

oops!

Kim

Archived