Confused about Fort Lauderdale hotels...please help

DonnaK

I've read all the posts here, and read reviews on Trip Advisor, yet I am more confused than ever about a pre-cruise hotel.

We are a family of 4 (two teen girls) who will be sharing one room.

Our requirements: clean hotel, close to port and within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

Complementary internet would be a plus, but not necesssary. Same with airport/port shuttles....nice, but not necessary.

We are looking at Renaissance and Embassy Suites, but are open to other suggestions. We are also looking for first hand accounts from those who have stayed there recently.

Our group of five stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield (Dania Beach); very new, clean and free breakfast; free shuttle from airport; you pay per person for shuttle to cruise port, but they only share it with the Hyatt Place across the street, which I also heard people say good things about; close to some shops and quite a few restaurants, which we walked to; highly recommended

Our group of five stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield (Dania Beach); very new, clean and free breakfast; free shuttle from airport; you pay per person for shuttle to cruise port, but they only share it with the Hyatt Place across the street, which I also heard people say good things about; close to some shops and quite a few restaurants, which we walked to; highly recommended

I've read excellent things about this hotel, except i read that it is NOT within walking distance of shops/restaurants. Can you confirm otherwise...exactly what is nearby, and how close? I looked on a map...are the KMart, Miller's Ale House, BJs, etc, located to the south of the hotel walkable?

(With such conflicting advice online, is it no wonder that I am confused! lol)

The Oakwood Plaza is definitely walkable. As someone pointed out on these boards a while back, walk quickly across Stirling as the light is quick. The plaza is pretty spread out and I would estimate Miller's Ale House to be about 15 minutes on foot from the hotel. You can shave some of the distance on the winding road by walking directly to the front of the Home Depot, and the Ale House is just around the far corner of that across the bridge.

I've stayed in the Oakwood area a few times and have enjoyed the hotels (granted, we also had rental cars as well). Every time we cruise from Port Everglades, I think about staying at the Renaissance or Embassy Suites, and then I look at prices and find the Oakwood area to be about half, or like this last time, I end up staying in Hollywood Beach from Hotwire.

The Oakwood Plaza is definitely walkable. As someone pointed out on these boards a while back, walk quickly across Stirling as the light is quick. The plaza is pretty spread out and I would estimate Miller's Ale House to be about 15 minutes on foot from the hotel. You can shave some of the distance on the winding road by walking directly to the front of the Home Depot, and the Ale House is just around the far corner of that across the bridge.

I've stayed in the Oakwood area a few times and have enjoyed the hotels (granted, we also had rental cars as well). Every time we cruise from Port Everglades, I think about staying at the Renaissance or Embassy Suites, and then I look at prices and find the Oakwood area to be about half, or like this last time, I end up staying in Hollywood Beach from Hotwire.

Thank you Dan....the info is very helpful and makes a big difference in our considerations.

We stayed at Hyatt Place North pre-cruise. It's easy across-the-side-street walk to Publix grocery, Total Wine and some other shops/restaurants. Free airport shuttle, free shuttle to the port (although I read somewhere they've started charging for the port shuttle?) and good continental+ type breakfast (cereal, juice, coffee, yogurt, bagels etc) plus hot breakfast items you can order for additional price. We booked through valuetrips.com per advice from this board, and got a very good rate. There is a small room next to the breakfast area that has computers and internet access, free.

There were only the two of us, so can't answer the part about a larger - 4 person room.

What time are you arriving? If early enough, the girls would really enjoy the boardwalk/beach and all the little shops and restaurants along the beach/boardwalk. Consider the Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach. Decent sized rooms with 2 queen beds.

We're arriving at 10am, so a hotel in the beach area might be a good idea.

I noticed that the Summerfield has an early check in option (and it appears to be no additional cost) which is a plus over Embassy.

What time are you arriving? If early enough, the girls would really enjoy the boardwalk/beach and all the little shops and restaurants along the beach/boardwalk. Consider the Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach. Decent sized rooms with 2 queen beds.

:confused: Ft. Lauderdale beach has a sidewalk but no boardwalk.:confused:

I've found that the beach hotels are about double the price, so we're back to Embassy versus Summerfield. The prices are about the same, so it's really a matter of location. Even though Renaissance is $40 less expensive, we ruled it out due to small size for four people (funny because it is still probably larger than both of our cabins on the ship!)

I've found that the beach hotels are about double the price, so we're back to Embassy versus Summerfield. The prices are about the same, so it's really a matter of location. Even though Renaissance is $40 less expensive, we ruled it out due to small size for four people (funny because it is still probably larger than both of our cabins on the ship!)

Just came back from a cruise out of FLL, we got Summerfield Suites on Hotwire. I would recommend them but get a 2 room suite for 4. great breakfast and nightly reception, easy walk to Kmart, BJs, Ale House or other restaurants. They have a shuttle that will take you to/from Ale House etc for free. Great rooms, laundry room if needed (bring quarters or the front desk can make change!). free internet, they have a nice but basic pool.

good luck and have a great cruise

ML

I am new to Hotwire and was wondering what the # of stars, area and immenities that were for the Summerfield Suites ?

Just came back from a cruise out of FLL, we got Summerfield Suites on Hotwire. I would recommend them but get a 2 room suite for 4. great breakfast and nightly reception, easy walk to Kmart, BJs, Ale House or other restaurants. They have a shuttle that will take you to/from Ale House etc for free. Great rooms, laundry room if needed (bring quarters or the front desk can make change!). free internet, they have a nice but basic pool.

good luck and have a great cruise

ML

We stayed at Hyatt Place North pre-cruise. It's easy across-the-side-street walk to Publix grocery, Total Wine and some other shops/restaurants. Free airport shuttle, free shuttle to the port (although I read somewhere they've started charging for the port shuttle?) and good continental+ type breakfast (cereal, juice, coffee, yogurt, bagels etc) plus hot breakfast items you can order for additional price. We booked through valuetrips.com per advice from this board, and got a very good rate. There is a small room next to the breakfast area that has computers and internet access, free.

There were only the two of us, so can't answer the part about a larger - 4 person room.

We stayed at HP North last year and are staying again next month. We were 4 (me, DH and 2 sons 18 and 21 at the time) Rooms are plenty big enough. We had 2 queen beds and a sofabed which was in a separate sitting area. The location is great. I found it much better than HP South's location. I am actually the one DanJ mentioned regarding the insanely quick traffic light to get to the shopping area. ;) Free continental breakfast, a few computers in an area off the lobby with free internet, free airport shuttle. When we were there the pier shuttle was also free but I believe they have started charging for it since we were there.

I am new to Hotwire and was wondering what the # of stars, area and immenities that were for the Summerfield Suites ?

Go to Betterbidding dot com.

There is all kinds of info there on using Hotwire.

I got a great Beach resort for after our cruise coming up in Dec.

Got the Westin Diplomat for $135. Expedia was $266.

There is a guide on that website so you can basically know what hotel you are getting before hand. I am still working on the pre cruise hotel because the needs are completely different.

Before the cruise, we need to a place to flop where we can stock up on supplies not worth carrying on the plane. Afterwards, we need a beach resort to begin the recovery. LOL.:D

I am at the Renaissance right now. taxi from airport was $15. Front desk was pleasant with quick checkin. We asked for a view of the port and they happily accommodated the request. i am looking out my windo at the Grand Princess. decent size hotel room, very clean. Less crowded than some rooms for four. Walgreen right across the street. Load of shopping and restaurants in walking distance. Several other hotels in the area look nice, too. I like this area and will stay again.

I've read all the posts here, and read reviews on Trip Advisor, yet I am more confused than ever about a pre-cruise hotel.

Our requirements: clean hotel, close to port and within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

Complementary internet would be a plus, but not necesssary. Same with airport/port shuttles....nice, but not necessary.

We are looking at Renaissance and Embassy Suites, but are open to other suggestions. We are also looking for first hand accounts from those who have stayed there recently.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place North, got it on Hotwire for $109.00 we liked the fact that we had a bed area and sitting area as we had 2 teens with us too. A 3 minute walk to the Harbour shops which included enough stores to keep us busy. Free airport shuttle and a reasonable breakfast. I gather the shuttle to the port is no longer free but will cost about $15.00 for a taxi.

I wouldn't stay here for a week but it was perfect for one night pre-cruise. And, yes there were 2 free computers in the lobby but we had free wireless in the room too.

We stay at the Sleep Inn Older but clean. Large rooms with a couch a refrigerator. Walgreens is right in the same parking lot. Right across the street is a Mexican and an Italian restaurant also a small Chinese take out. Also a grocery store. They provide free shuttle to and from the port. Prices were reasonable. t least this was all true two years ago will be checking them out again for our upcoming March cruise

I am at the Renaissance right now. taxi from airport was $15. Front desk was pleasant with quick checkin. We asked for a view of the port and they happily accommodated the request. i am looking out my windo at the Grand Princess. decent size hotel room, very clean. Less crowded than some rooms for four. Walgreen right across the street. Load of shopping and restaurants in walking distance. Several other hotels in the area look nice, too. I like this area and will stay again.

Thank you! This is very helpful info!

Concerning the Hyatt Summerfield Dania Beach location; there was a very short walk to K-Mart and BJ's, and all kinds of shops and places to eat; we bought underwater cameras and some other things at the K-Mart; we were starving though and we stopped at the first place to eat (Chipotle) which is always good; we took our food to the hotel pool area and ate; very nice and clean

I stayed overnight at a Best Western, Dania Beach, FL recently before a cruise. They have free airport pick-up and they will take you to a shopping area across the freeway; they have a lot of restaurants over there as well. They will take you to the cruise port for $10.00 per person. The room was clean (plain looking) but very quiet and safe. It was very reasonable in price. They also have a Springhill Suites across the freeway from the Best Western and I saw a LaQuinta sign but never saw the hotel. I think anything in that area would be fine.

Good luck.

Archived