What is your view of Adam Goldstein and other important RCI people?

What is your view of Adam Goldstein and other important RCI people?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What is your view of Adam Goldstein and other important RCI people?

• Very positive, Have no negative views
    • Positive because of fleet deployment
    • Positive for other reasons
    • Neutral, just OK
    • Negative because of fleet deployment
    • Negative for other reasons
    • Very negative, Have no positive views

You can select more than one option. Do you think he's helping or hurting Royal Caribbean Int'l? Do you think he's good or bad for Royal Caribbean Int'l?

I know this is a lot different than most polls I start, but I really want to see if I'm in the majority or minority of what people think of him.

I voted negative due to fleet deployment and negative for other reasons. My reasons include not enough ships from the US during the summer months, no Galveston in the summer, no San Juan in the summer starting 2012, cancelling a season's worth of cruises that people have been able to book for over a year (Now they have less time to fill the ship), not cancelling cruises for a ship that's supposed to leave the fleet, etc.

The reason I didn't say it in my first post is because I don't want other's votes to be based on my opinion.

Up until recently I would applaud the innovative and daring moves that these gentlemen have made.

But based on some of their recent statements, they are turning into 2 empty suits who concern themselves only about their shareholders and don't give a hoot about their bread and butter- the customers.

In ancient Rome when conquering heroes returned from glorious victories in battle and paraded down the streets of the city, an oracle would follow behind them whispering in their ear this warning: "Remember, all fame is fleeting".

Gentlemen, are you listening?

I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of people walking the streets as well as cruising on Royal Caribbean have no clue who runs the company and, likely, don't care. They're onboard to have fun and - provided that they do - then the folks running the company have done their jobs in most people's eyes.

I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of people walking the streets as well as cruising on Royal Caribbean have no clue who runs the company and, likely, don't care. They're onboard to have fun and - provided that they do - then the folks running the company have done their jobs in most people's eyes.

well said, except is probably more like 99.9999999999%

M

It's very easy for us to judge as long as we don't sit on their seats.Those itineraries I guess are made at least a year in advance, but you will always have outside factor that can influence your decision. The first thing that come to my mind that all of the sudden it became unstable in the Middle East and now with Osama's death I bet that especially americans prefer (for the time being) to stay closer at home. Oil has skyrocket and even if it looks that cruise lines (still) don't charge for the raise the airlines surely do, making it much more expensive to reach Europe.

We've been through this before ad nauseum. Not being a brick-and-mortar industry, so to speak, cruise lines have the ability to follow the money ... literally! That's what RCI (and, to a great extent, its competition) is doing. Right now, Europe is the market du jour, although it's showing signs of waning ... not uncommon. Next time around, it could swing back to the Caribbean, or Alaska, or Bermuda, or New England ... who knows.

Your point about no year-round RCI ship in Galveston is another matter that's been hammered to death. Simply put, if there was enough business to accommodate more than one full-time ship (I don't count Carnival's shorter cruises) Royal Caribbean would be there. Several years back, there were actually two RCI ships sailing year-round from Galveston. Obviously, the opportunity for greater profit was elsewhere. Galveston's seasonal attraction has been bolstered by the addition of Princess and Disney cruise ships for the 2012-2013 season. If the opportunity were there, at least one of them would have committed to a 12-month stay. I can guarantee that they've all studied the market thoroughly ... and the fact that they've all reached the same conclusion validates the decision to sail from Galveston part-time.

Messrs. Goldstein and Fain are doing what they can in this period of economic uncertainty: providing an affordable vacation experience while fulfilling their obligation to the stockholders ... not a very easy balancing act these days. I have my issues with RCI ... but overall the product is decent, as is the return on investment.

Messrs. Goldstein and Fain are doing what they can in this period of economic uncertainty: providing an affordable vacation experience while fulfilling their obligation to the stockholders ... not a very easy balancing act these days. I have my issues with RCI ... but overall the product is decent, as is the return on investment.

Yep, that about sums it up for me! Well said - though I would have said "more than decent". :)

This is not at all a good poll as it will be influenced by biased votes and biased situations.

I have no interest in sailing around the Mediterranean therefore decisions these guys make about moving ships to go there, to leave there or to hit 22 ports in a week don't matter. If you have a Med cruise on your docket, a negative decision about these cruises will produce a negative vote.

Similarly, I will never consider Texas as an embarkation point, so I don't care what they do there. For Texas Teen, it's an agenda driven poll due to the reasons he stated (and obvious from the choices in the poll) and accordingly, is a worthless poll.

For Texas Teen, it's an agenda driven poll due to the reasons he stated (and obvious from the choices in the poll) and accordingly, is a worthless poll.

Perhaps he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's even been on a cruise yet. At least, that was the story last year.

Richard who? As for my opinion, I think nothing of Richard Fain. I don't approve of him or disprove of him. I am not a share holder, so I don't care about what ships are where in order to maximize profits. None of that means anything to me.

What I care about is the product delivered to me when I step aboard an RCI ship. And so far, that product, to me, has been excellent. After dozens of cruises on 3 lines, my recent Allure cruise provided me with a feeling I only had when I first started cruising. That is what I care about. I care about the great entertainment, excellent service, and ships that are second to none!

If I was a share holder, I might care about what ships are where and for what reasons, but I'm not, so I don't. Richard who?

well said, except is probably more like 99.9999999999%

M

Agree. If the names were not on these boards as much as they are, they would be even less known.

Without looking it up...who is the CEO of Coca-Cola? How about Ford Motors? My guess just like with the CEO of RCI most don't know and most don't care.

Perhaps he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's even been on a cruise yet. At least, that was the story last year.

Richard who? As for my opinion, I think nothing of Richard Fain. I don't approve of him or disprove of him. I am not a share holder, so I don't care about what ships are where in order to maximize profits. None of that means anything to me.

What I care about is the product delivered to me when I step aboard an RCI ship. And so far, that product, to me, has been excellent. After dozens of cruises on 3 lines, my recent Allure cruise provided me with a feeling I only had when I first started cruising. That is what I care about. I care about the great entertainment, excellent service, and ships that are second to none!

If I was a share holder, I might care about what ships are where and for what reasons, but I'm not, so I don't. Richard who?

Couldn't agree more.

The distinction between consumer and shareholder is often lost around here. Often times those on here who are shareholders and consumers are often shareholders to further their consumerism and presents a conflict of interest.

This is not at all a good poll as it will be influenced by biased votes and biased situations.

I have no interest in sailing around the Mediterranean therefore decisions these guys make about moving ships to go there, to leave there or to hit 22 ports in a week don't matter. If you have a Med cruise on your docket, a negative decision about these cruises will produce a negative vote.

Similarly, I will never consider Texas as an embarkation point, so I don't care what they do there. For Texas Teen, it's an agenda driven poll due to the reasons he stated (and obvious from the choices in the poll) and accordingly, is a worthless poll.

Agreed!

I think that 16 year olds should ask opinions of people their own age about people their own age. That would leave those of us that actually pay for cruises to have opinions, about the actions of those that have an influence over the product that we spend our money on.

I'm not voting. These type things do not interest me. What I care about is the overall cruise product that we are paying for. If I'm happy with that then RCI has done their job. So far they are doing a very good job so I don't care who is leading the company if they get the job done.

Also, I think in order for someone to start a poll like this, they should at least have taken a cruise and know something about the product.

I'm sorry but whether the OP has taken a cruise or not he/she still has the right to ask what ever question they want...last time I checked that's what these forums were for! There is no reason to be mean, hateful, or bully-ish.

In my eyes I don't see my views of negativity as directed towards a specific CEO but as the group of RCCL as a whole. It wasn't just one CEO who decided to cut back on Caribbean sailings and move ships over seas but the entire company. If it's profitable for them then good for them...they get to make money and stay in business. But am I still upset about it...Yes very much so. Luckily though cruising is not a monopoly to me and I feel my family can be just as happy on another line doing the itinerary we like.

I'm sorry but whether the OP has taken a cruise or not he/she still has the right to ask what ever question they want...last time I checked that's what these forums were for! There is no reason to be mean, hateful, or bully-ish.

In my eyes I don't see my views of negativity as directed towards a specific CEO but as the group of RCCL as a whole. It wasn't just one CEO who decided to cut back on Caribbean sailings and move ships over seas but the entire company. If it's profitable for them then good for them...they get to make money and stay in business. But am I still upset about it...Yes very much so. Luckily though cruising is not a monopoly to me and I feel my family can be just as happy on another line doing the itinerary we like.

No one is being hateful or bullying anyone.:rolleyes:

Really? This from someone that resorted to name calling on the Richard Fain thread. Pot meet kettle.:rolleyes:

Name-calling? I think I told someone to go cook. cruisingator, we disagree on a lot of things. That's ok with me.

Archived