Tips to reduce jet lag

Genner

Were flying UK to MCO to get onboard the Dream this Friday and have our annual 9 hour flight. We'll be boarding the Dream the next day but we'd like to feel as fresh as possible. Anyone got any tips to reduce jet lag ?

Were flying UK to MCO to get onboard the Dream this Friday and have our annual 9 hour flight. We'll be boarding the Dream the next day but we'd like to feel as fresh as possible. Anyone got any tips to reduce jet lag ?

Forget the meal, the liquor and the movie and try to get some sleep. If you are flying business first, the seating arrangements are so much more favorable to help you get some zzzzz. An over the counter sleeping aid might help.

Flying from Europe TO US isn't horrible - it's typically a day flight. I always find that I have barely any to no jet lag - and I can't sleep on planes (even in First class). Flying back to Europe, on the other hand, is brutal. Even when sleeping on the plane, you only have the potential to get about 5-6 hours of sleep, since they will always interrupt you for menus, dinner, drinks, breakfast, etc.

TRY to sleep in any case, and don't get tempted by that little TV in front of every seat!:cool:

coming west, i just stay up as long as i can before getting tired, which for me is about 8:30. yes, you'll probably be up a little earlier the next morning, but i love a quiet morning ship. if you want to extend your sleep, take a pm med on your first bathroom run.

My Uncle, a retired surgeon, recommends taking Melatonin. He believes you should take a dose

every day for the amount of time zones you are crossing. Therfore going to Europe from the east coast you would

take it for 5 days prior to flying.

Melatonin is non perscription. I am going to try it out on my Med cruise this July.

Hope it works.:)

I get affected by jet lag mostly when flying west to east - if you're like me, you'll get affected on your way home to the UK after your cruise. I generally try to sleep as much as possible when travelling in that direction.

Going east to west, I stay awake, since I'm gaining hours and hope go to sleep in a few hours after arrival in a new time zone.

I hope you have a good airline. When we went to the Azores on SATA International on a red eye they left the lights on the entire time and it was freezing! I didn't get a wink of sleep despite taking a sleep aid, having one of those neck pillows and an eye mask.

Needless to say we got to Ponta Delgada at 9 a.m. their time (5 a.m. ours?) had to get a rental car and drive around in streets narrow enough to warrant a Smartcar, and couldn't check into our hotel until like 1 p.m. We were wandering around the city like zombies!

So I would recommend a sleeping pillow, a good sleep aid, and an eye mask (depending on your flight times). Maybe you will have better luck than we did!

I've heard that a good high intensity work out will wipe out jet lag once you've landed. Of course if you don't already work out regularly I'm not sure that's an option because I don't think someone who never works out will want to start on vacation.

My Uncle, a retired surgeon, recommends taking Melatonin. He believes you should take a dose

every day for the amount of time zones you are crossing. Therfore going to Europe from the east coast you would

take it for 5 days prior to flying.

Melatonin is non perscription. I am going to try it out on my Med cruise this July.

Hope it works.:)

Never heard of it taken that way. Your body normally makes it by itself, but in a ritualistic way. On a time zone change, and you want to sleep, take some at your chosen time, introduce the melatonin then, it kicks in within an hour. I've heard it's wise to eat a small amount of carbs too. I use melatonin nightly, as I must wake up daily at a very early hour, and don't want to spend hours getting to sleep.

When you get here to the US get out in the sun, the sunlight will help reset your inner clock. There has been some study to suggest getting the light behind your knees is the best. (I don't know if its true). Try to stay awake as long as you can the first night the best would be to go to bed after 8 pm.

I have the opposite problem on Wednesday, I leave Chicago for Frankfurt arrive Thursday and then will turn around on Friday to fly to Mallorca. Packing will be a bit problematic this year. :rolleyes:

There is a product called "No Jet Lag" sold in some drug stores and on the internet. It is from Made in New Zealand, and sold in many counties. I used it on trips to Asia and it worked like a charm.

You chew one when you take off each time and then one every 2 hours, if you sleep just take one once you wake up.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a doctor, but I do work in the medical field. Please do not risk taking a sleeping pill during a long-haul flight. You need to move your feet and ankles and stay hydrated to avoid blood clots. This is a real medical concern known as DVT, a blood clot in the deep veins of the lower extremities or pelvis that can travel through the heart and into the lungs, causing pulmonary embolism, which can be fatal. One of the major known risk factors is any type of immobility, including airline travel where you don't move around. Jet lag is bad, but not as bad as a blood clot. I'm sure a short nap on a flight is fine, but I don't even do that. I've had blood clots in the lungs (although not from air travel), and I had to be on blood thinners for a year afterwards. Not fun, but I was luckier than many. Still here by the grace of God and the fast work of the ER doctors.

On top of trying to get rest. I know that the UK is ahead in time to the US. when you and try not to nap and stay up to a reasonable US time to change your schedule. I do the melatonin for the flight. I also try and make mysef tired for the flight so I will sleep . Maybe even a few days before I set my clock to the timezone I am going to so my body starts adjusting. Do drink water on flight. Also I use the compression socks because i get restless legs. Enjoy your flight and vacation.

I, too, was most affected by jet lag coming back home from Australia. It was AWFUL and lasted several days, really almost a week.

Seems like if it's only a 9 hour flight, you'll do fine. Just make sure you sleep when you can.. I found it most difficult but still managed to snag a few hours here and there (15 hour flight, lol)

Lunesta works wonders for jet lag.

Lunesta is one scary drug! Be very careful and would never recommend this for jet lag. Stay hydrated, limit alcohol, and realize that you body's clock has to reset and no matter what you do, there will be a bit of jet lag.

pat

I have just done two transatlantic journeys over the past four weeks. Up and down like a yoyo:). I am always fine on the way out, but coming home from the UK, I loathe it! My tip is pack a really really comfy outfit for the flight home, its always cold on the planes especially BA! When you get home, try to stay away through your first day home, and try going to bed around midnight, set your alarm for 8am, and TRY (not easy) to force yourself up... it takes a day per hour, which at this time of years, was six hours for me. Been fighting it for years, still never found a cure other than taking a sleeping pill when i am HOME on 2nd night home.... dont worry on the way out, its easy :)

I'm not a doctor, but I do work in the medical field. Please do not risk taking a sleeping pill during a long-haul flight. You need to move your feet and ankles and stay hydrated to avoid blood clots. This is a real medical concern known as DVT, a blood clot in the deep veins of the lower extremities or pelvis that can travel through the heart and into the lungs, causing pulmonary embolism, which can be fatal. One of the major known risk factors is any type of immobility, including airline travel where you don't move around. Jet lag is bad, but not as bad as a blood clot. I'm sure a short nap on a flight is fine, but I don't even do that. I've had blood clots in the lungs (although not from air travel), and I had to be on blood thinners for a year afterwards. Not fun, but I was luckier than many. Still here by the grace of God and the fast work of the ER doctors.

wow, thanks for the reminder about that. has anyone had luck w/ the compression socks for long flights?

Archived