any update for bermuda bus and ferry?

searoses

booked first ncl yesterday and only concern is the bus and ferry situation.

The Gem is heading to Bermuda as we speak, so I would imagine cruise reviewers will give updates on the situation when they return this Sunday.

From what I read, it's not going to be that big of a deal. In fact, given that we're just hitting tourist season, I would not be surprised if the Dept. of Transportation adds busses specifically to accomodate cruise passengers.

The Gem is heading to Bermuda as we speak, so I would imagine cruise reviewers will give updates on the situation when they return this Sunday.

From what I read, it's not going to be that big of a deal. In fact, given that we're just hitting tourist season, I would not be surprised if the Dept. of Transportation adds busses specifically to accomodate cruise passengers.

Other cruise lines have been going to Bermuda for a month (we went on Royal Caribbean in late April on a ship that's bigger than the Gem, plus there was a Carnival ship at Dockyard) and they have NOT added buses or ferries beyond what is scheduled. We were advised in a letter from Royal Caribbean to allow additional travel time, and the authorities would not sell two day transportation passes. Ferry and bus service has been reduced from what it was in previous years.

booked first ncl yesterday and only concern is the bus and ferry situation.

Here's a link to Bermuda discussion, which is talking about the bus issue.

We're booked in Sept.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Here's a link to a newspaper article about the tranportation issue.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110503/NEWS04/110509972/bus-and-ferry-system-a-joke-say-tourists&utm_source=newsletter20110503&utm_medium=email&utm_content=article_title&utm_campaign=newsletter

Things can change and I would depend on reports from passengers returning in the next several weeks to see if and how things change rather than on what happened in the first weeks of the season.

The schedules have been cut but there are always ways to improve within any "system" and first hand "we just got back" is always best IMHO. We will be on Summit on June 5 and I'm very interested to see for myself how things are going ...

Does anyone know if they are selling three day bus & ferry passes? I understand that two day passes are not being sold.

Hopefully one of the "on the scene" locals will answer this; otherwise we will be glad to tell you on June 12when a huge group on a CC group cruise returns from Bermuda with the 'real scoop':)

Wow, I really hate to hear this is happening. When we were in Bermuda in 2008 the bus system was fantastic and I came home raving to everyone about it. The bus system was also a wonderful way to see Bermuda.

But at the same time, I can definately see where the Bermuda residents would be upset about not being able to get a seat on a bus-especially when they need to be at work at a certain time. There were several times that the locals got on the bus and had nowhere to sit and had to stand or they would step on teh bus and then step off seeing how full the bus was. On some, you could see the irritation on their faces...and I felt very sorry for them that their home was once again being overrun by the tourists.

Then again, there were many a local that gave up their seat to me so I could sit. I had some wonderful conversations with the locals and enjoyed that time getting to know a few of them.

Hopefully they will be able to work something out that works out for both the tourists and for the residents of Bermuda--sooner rather than later. (and especially by October when we go :o fingers crossed!)

I returned Sunday from the Summitt - we were in Bermuda Thursday and Friday. Our tour bus driver explained that there is a problem between driver's union and management over overtime. She also said that if a "local " driver (not a tour) calls in sick they are not replaced - and the bus does not operate. It could happen two buses in a row. We took a bus on Thursday at 4 from Hamilton back to the dockyard - and it was completely full, with people standing in the aisles at least half way to the dockyard.

The ferry 2 day passes are NOT available at the dockyard - but they are available at the terminal in Hamilton! Three weeks ago, we were told, they changed the policy. It now costs $4 more for two one day passes, instead of 1 two day pass. Our ship was not aware of this.

Sorry, I don't hjave any info on the 3 day passes.

I would encourage people traveling to Bermuda for the first time to arrange a tour. We tried it on our own on Thursday and walked quite a distance, missed things we were looking for, and didn't know what we were seeing! A young man on the bus shared info on the island with us - which we appreciated. Our tour the next day was very informative and we were glad we did it. The next time we could go out on our own. A tour would also bypass any transportation problems.

The ferry 2 day passes are NOT available at the dockyard - but they are available at the terminal in Hamilton! Three weeks ago, we were told, they changed the policy. It now costs $4 more for two one day passes, instead of 1 two day pass. Our ship was not aware of this.

So they just don't want to sell 2 days to large-cruiseship passengers? That seems rude to me. I almost have to laugh at the ridiculousness of their terrible public relations/tourism/transportation dept.

I wonder how many people really use the passes enough to break even? Every time someone buys a day pass and only goes to Horseshoe and back, they make extra profit.

If you plan well and are efficient, you could possibly do enough things to warrant the rides, but most of us are buying these passes so that we can be lazy and not do any planning. For me, I'll either pay the $6pp taxi ride or buy a book of tickets once I know exactly where I'm going and when. Maybe they will stop selling those at Dockyard, too.

I returned Sunday from the Summitt - we were in Bermuda Thursday and Friday. Our tour bus driver explained that there is a problem between driver's union and management over overtime. She also said that if a "local " driver (not a tour) calls in sick they are not replaced - and the bus does not operate. It could happen two buses in a row. We took a bus on Thursday at 4 from Hamilton back to the dockyard - and it was completely full, with people standing in the aisles at least half way to the dockyard.

I would encourage people traveling to Bermuda for the first time to arrange a tour. We tried it on our own on Thursday and walked quite a distance, missed things we were looking for, and didn't know what we were seeing! A young man on the bus shared info on the island with us - which we appreciated. Our tour the next day was very informative and we were glad we did it. The next time we could go out on our own. A tour would also bypass any transportation problems.

Sounds like nothing has changed since we were there two weeks ago.

Thank you for posting this! Good to have information from people who have just been there themselves!

This was posted on the Royal Navy Dockyard, Bermuda FaceBook page 3 hrs ago:

Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda

Todays bus cancellations:

#7 Hamilton – Dockyard 11:00 am

#7 Dockyard – Hamilton 12:20 pm

#11 Hamilton – St. George’s 1:30 pm

#11 St. George’s – Hamilton 2:45 pm

#1 Hamilton – Grotto Bay 2:45 pm

#11 Berkeley – Hamilton 3:35 pm

#1 Grotto Bay – Hamilton 3:40 pm

#11 Hamilton – St. George’s 5:35 pm

I have just booked excursions for our trip in two weeks. It sounds as if this is the way to go if we want to get out of the Dockyard without a hassle. I imagine there will be a crush of people trying to book onboard the ship because many will not be aware of this situation. Thanks to all of you for giving us the information.

Does anyone know if they are selling three day bus & ferry passes? I understand that two day passes are not being sold.

I talked to a friend today who is currently on the Summit. They are not selling the two day passes but they are selling one and three day passes at the Dockyard. They did not buy a pass, just paid the $4 and took the ferry to Hamiltion with no problem. Had lunch at the Pickled Onion.

Hmm..with two day passes no longer available, whats the cheapest option? Better to buy one day pass or stick with regular. I dont think we will be using the busses/ferry that much, hopefully service improves in September

Hmm..with two day passes no longer available, whats the cheapest option? Better to buy one day pass or stick with regular. I dont think we will be using the busses/ferry that much, hopefully service improves in September

You can buy a book of 15 tickets that take you anywhere on the buses for about $30. I am pretty sure that can be shared between your group.

You can buy a book of 15 tickets that take you anywhere on the buses for about $30. I am pretty sure that can be shared between your group.

Can the book of tickets now be purchased at Kings Wharf? Last year you had to go to either Hamilton or St. Georges....they were not sold at Kings Wharf.

:D Passes as normal....I have just been informed that the 2 & 3 day passes have been reinstated (apparently it was a temp thing..don't know the reason) and are sold at the Visitors Centres as before. That little problem has been resolved.

I talked to a friend today who is currently on the Summit. They are not selling the two day passes but they are selling one and three day passes at the Dockyard. They did not buy a pass, just paid the $4 and took the ferry to Hamiltion with no problem. Had lunch at the Pickled Onion.

:D Passes as normal....I have just been informed that the 2 & 3 day passes have been reinstated (apparently it was a temp thing..don't know the reason) and are sold at the Visitors Centres as before. That little problem has been resolved.

Things change . . . guess I'll keep looking at this thread until departure in July

Can the book of tickets now be purchased at Kings Wharf? Last year you had to go to either Hamilton or St. Georges....they were not sold at Kings Wharf.

I'm sorry I don't know that answer--have never docked at the Dockyard. Hopefully someone else can tell you.

That's good to hear but wasn't the issue the fact that some seating was to be reserved for local residents as opposed to cruise ship pax or am I mistaken? I was under the impression that many people had purchased passes and were stuck in long lines because they were not able to get seats on the bus.

Archived