Question re: priority boarding CC

hockeyken

:confused: Specifically at Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale.

One of the perks listed is priority boarding, but looking at the deck plans (and without actually counting ) there are a LOT of Aqua Class and Concierge Class cabins. How can Celebrity EFFECTIVELY give priority boarding to that many people ? Does it work ?

This is what happens:

The check in area is essentially an enormous warehouse looking thing with about 30 "gates" for check ins (imagine a really long counter with a bunch of windows like a bank but bigger) So those "windows" are separated by cabin category.

Suites have a line with a few windows, Conceierge has a line with a few windows, AQ has the same, Elites the same, then there is a much longer line with "general" for every one else.

There will be a person there to direct traffic and make sure that the "priority boarders" don't wait long in line.

It seems crazy, but once you see it, it will make perfect sense. Also, you can board around 11:30am but your rooms won't be ready until about 1:30. Have a great cruise!!! :D:):D

We had CC priority boarding for Constellation March, 2011. Two couples traveling with us did not and they got thru the boarding process before us. Really do not think it matters where you check in for boarding.

:confused: Specifically at Port Everglades/Fort Lauderdale.

One of the perks listed is priority boarding, but looking at the deck plans (and without actually counting ) there are a LOT of Aqua Class and Concierge Class cabins. How can Celebrity EFFECTIVELY give priority boarding to that many people ? Does it work ?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no depending on the mix of passengers that happens to show up at any particular time.

It is just an easy way for them to make many passengers believe they are getting a special priority perk that does not cost the cruise line anything. If we arrive early, we look around to see which line for which we qualify is the shortest and pick that one. Sometimes the regular, no perk line has been shorter than any of the special category priority lines.

But lately more and more we have been choosing to arrive at the pier in the afternoon after the mob scene is over because we can pass right through check-in and security then with no lines or waiting at all.

Back when we first started cruising, people would tell us to arrive at the pier early but we found that we hated sitting around in the terminal waiting for boarding to begin and standing in long lines, so arriving later in the day works much better for us.

Most people won't arrive early enough to take advantage of the priority boarding - some will have later flights, others wake up later and take the day more leisurely, etc. When you do check in, there will be several check-in booths as others have described. In my experience, the longest lines are those for suites, CC, AQ. Everyone wants to be considered special, but it's often the regular cabin deck's lines that are the shortest. ;) Just a tip.

That being said, I do understand the OP's concern. Celebrity does give priority boarding to a LOT of people compared to other cruiselines: CC, AQ, elite and select Captain's Club, disabled folks. I am thankful Celebrity recognizes these categories and gives them the perk of preferred boarding, but at the same time, I think it would be awfully frustrating to be a first timer on X or not in a special category and have to see this whole parade of priority passengers go before you. :(

:D Thanks to all who replied for the info. A lot of points taken, and they make sense. Whatever happens won't ruin my cruise, I was just curious. My own take was it was a perk offered to help sell the category, but in reality a very difficult perk to deliver; as one person pointed out it very much depends on who arrives and when, and Celebrity cannot control that. If the majority of AC and CC arrive within 1/2 hr space, there will be long lines for everyone.

I personally would rather have them serve me a drink while in the line, short or long. ;)

I personally would rather have them serve me a drink while in the line, short or long. ;)

There will be drinks available as you check-in; but they will be of the non-alcoholic variety. However, as you board the actual ship you will be given your choice of a flute of sparkling wine or a mimosa.

Enjoy your cruise!

We recently sailed out of Ft Lauderdale on the Constellation and they did not do priority boarding. We are elite and also have priority boarding. we got to the terminal at around 11 a.m. and checked in quickly-no line. We then were directed to chairs around the room. People were sitting in the order they checked in. I asked about priority boarding and they said they were not doing it today. The people behind us were in a suite and were told the same thing. It didn't take long. Once they let people go on the line just kept moving.

Great, helpful info!!! Getting ready for our first cruise on Celebrity. BUT, for those departing out of Barcelona on the Solstice, will it be a similar set-up to what is done in Ft. Lauderdale? We will be doing Concierge Class. Anyone done boarding on Solstice or a sister ship out of Barcelona?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,940 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is what happens:

The check in area is essentially an enormous warehouse looking thing with about 30 "gates" for check ins (imagine a really long counter with a bunch of windows like a bank but bigger) So those "windows" are separated by cabin category.

Suites have a line with a few windows, Conceierge has a line with a few windows, AQ has the same, Elites the same, then there is a much longer line with "general" for every one else.

There will be a person there to direct traffic and make sure that the "priority boarders" don't wait long in line.

It seems crazy, but once you see it, it will make perfect sense. Also, you can board around 11:30am but your rooms won't be ready until about 1:30. Have a great cruise!!! :D:):D

We sailed April 10 in AQ. Got there at 11:30. Just as stated there are different windows for checking in. After that everyone is directed to a large holding area where everyone is treated the same regardless of status or cabin category. We sat there until 12 and then they took row by row to board. Couldn't get into the cabin until after 1. There was an announcement letting everyone know that they were available.

I asked one of the persons in the holding area while waiting if there was any priorty for boarding and he said not at this time. After taking a few cruises you will find that a lot of the "perks" are just fluff and really don't mean much or or not offered by the staff because they aren't aware of what they are or just don't want to be bothered with giving them.

Yup, frustrating, like watching the first class passengers check in early at the airport. They paid more, that's the deal.

I assume you're being snarky with your comment, but I'll bite. First class on an airplane is different. It's a limited number of seats and far less people than the combination of CC, Aqua, Select & elite, Suites, and disabled. Yes, they all paid more and deserve the perk they were promised. Not doubting that. But when a perk stops being a limited amount of people and open to hundreds, it stops being special and becomes a little ridiculous. Being in the parade of cabin categories to board is not "priority" IMHO.

Archived