Why so spendy next year??

whitshel

Took our first Celebrity cruise this year on the Eclipse. We want to go again next year again but man is it expensive. Granted this years cruise was booked 5 days before the cruise left, we paid $2359 total for 4 of us with all taxes in a 1b veranda. Next year for basically the same cruise is $3996. Holy Moly!! $1650 more. Do you think the prices will come down or are we not cruising next year? I really dont want to book so close again because it was hell trying to find airfare, but if we have to we will, what do you guys think????

It's a trade off. Book way out and you may pay a little more for the cruise, but you'll get a wide choice of cabins, and likely cheaper airfare. If you wait until close to the cruise at best you'll have limited cabin selection, at worse it may be sold out. And if it's close to selling out, the price may be higher than it was a year before. Also, last minute airfare is always expensive.

We've found "common" caribbean itineraries do not typically sell out, so if you're not picky about cabin (or cruise line, for that matter), you can usually get a deal. You might want to book airfare now to a common embarkation destination such as Miami or Fort Lauderdale, then book whatever cruise/cabin you can just before your preferred sail date. And if you can't find a cruise you want at a good price you can always just do a land based vacation in Florida. Just a thought.

Took our first Celebrity cruise this year on the Eclipse. We want to go again next year again but man is it expensive. Granted this years cruise was booked 5 days before the cruise left, we paid $2359 total for 4 of us with all taxes in a 1b veranda. Next year for basically the same cruise is $3996. Holy Moly!! $1650 more. Do you think the prices will come down or are we not cruising next year? I really dont want to book so close again because it was hell trying to find airfare, but if we have to we will, what do you guys think????

Since you have sailed with Celebrity in the past, are you a Capt Club member? See the following info and maybe that will help you:

Save up to $600 with your Captain's Club exclusive Private Booking Offer.

For the first time ever, we're offering you—our most loyal guests—an exclusive opportunity to save on our new 2012 & 2013 sailings from the minute they're made available. As a valued Captain's Club member, simply book before July 29, 2011 and you'll save up to $600* on your cruise. It's that easy.

I would book your cruise now through Celebrity and get your cabin of choice. Keep watching for price drops and call your cruise consultant and let them know if you come across a decrease in price. They will adjust it up until final payment.

Dan Hanrahan discussed pricing on CNBC last year. Said at that time that pricing was soft in 2009, better in 2010 and would be stronger in 2011 ( I've paraphrased his exact words). We can be assured that as the economy improves and the demand for cruising increases, prices will follow. I would not be surprised to learn that future fuel costs have been factored into the prices. I think that there will be a trend for more people to delay booking until after final payment dates in an attempt to time the market. All my conclusions should be taken as "guesses" not facts.

For me, I'm going to try and book my airfare using American Airline miles for June '12 as soon as its available. But I'm not going to book the cruise itself yet. Since I can cancel my award airfare reservation without penalty I'm going to wait and see if Celebrity has a Tuesday special on the cruise I'm looking at. If they don't then I'll just cancel my airfare award travel with no penalty. If they do have a Tuesday special then I'll get a great deal on a med cruise and 'free' airfare. Win/Win for me, with very little risk. It definitely helps to have status with the airline and be able to cancel my award tickets with no penalty.

Its also the euro v USD

Carole

There will be absolutely spectacular deals, if you don't care where the ship go, what cabin you get and time of the year you travel. So if you are flexible - wait till after final payment.

But there are some ships and cruises that are very popular - prices might come down in cabin categories, most likely insides. We just came back from 14 days on Constellation, booked 12 months ago. Our price changed by $100.00p.p. in our category, but most of them didn't and even went up. That is the gamble you take......

I would book your cruise now through Celebrity and get your cabin of choice. Keep watching for price drops and call your cruise consultant and let them know if you come across a decrease in price. They will adjust it up until final payment.

I thought this was no longer true. I thought the latest info was that you could only change pricing within 48 hours of booking; all you can do after that is upgrade if prices decrease.

If it were me, I would give it a pass for now and keep an eye on prices. We just booked 12 days in the Med for $999 in a veranda guarantee in November--I KNOW that's a great deal that I wouldn't have gotten a few months ago.

I thought this was no longer true. I thought the latest info was that you could only change pricing within 48 hours of booking; all you can do after that is upgrade if prices decrease.

If it were me, I would give it a pass for now and keep an eye on prices. We just booked 12 days in the Med for $999 in a veranda guarantee in November--I KNOW that's a great deal that I wouldn't have gotten a few months ago.

You can always get adjustments prior to final payment because you can cancel with no penalty and rebook. After final payment, you are correct.

For me, I'm going to try and book my airfare using American Airline miles for June '12 as soon as its available. But I'm not going to book the cruise itself yet. Since I can cancel my award airfare reservation without penalty I'm going to wait and see if Celebrity has a Tuesday special on the cruise I'm looking at. If they don't then I'll just cancel my airfare award travel with no penalty. If they do have a Tuesday special then I'll get a great deal on a med cruise and 'free' airfare. Win/Win for me, with very little risk. It definitely helps to have status with the airline and be able to cancel my award tickets with no penalty.

You will pay a MINIMUM of $150 redeposit fee for your air miles for one ticket unless you are an AAdvantage top tier elite. Additional tickets purchased under the same account will be additional $25 per ticket. AA no longer has the long "hold" periods they did unless again, you are a top tier elite.

NOT EXACTLY penalty free.

DW has been after me to book a cruie on X because she wants to try a Solstice class ship. I've priced several itineraries and have noted they are $$$$$. I would like to return to X but with the T/A's not being able to discount fares (unlike Princess), I'll be sticking with Princess for now.

Bob

:eek: DISCLAIMER : yes I am aware of the "rules ' about posting...leave grammar, spelling alone.

But a HUGE favour please : don't hijack the English language, it is not yours to abuse.........."spendy" is not a word, and has no meaning.

Otherwise, have a great cruise. :)

You will pay a MINIMUM of $150 redeposit fee for your air miles for one ticket unless you are an AAdvantage top tier elite. Additional tickets purchased under the same account will be additional $25 per ticket. AA no longer has the long "hold" periods they did unless again, you are a top tier elite.

NOT EXACTLY penalty free.

I am top tier (Executive Platinum) with American so it is penalty free for cancellations. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did :)

I am top tier (Executive Platinum) with American so it is penalty free for cancellations. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted what I did :)

You need to post the "exception to the rule" for others reading your post. If someone didn't know the rules for AA elites, they would believe that it is dollar/penalty free to redeposit miles for anyone.

And as a EXP, you KNOW you don't have book award seats when they are first released. A phone call will get you just about any seat you want on any flight you want (except certain "premium" nonstops)

It's a trade off. Book way out and you may pay a little more for the cruise' date=' but you'll get a wide choice of cabins, and likely cheaper airfare. If you wait until close to the cruise at best you'll have limited cabin selection, at worse it may be sold out. And if it's close to selling out, the price may be higher than it was a year before. Also, last minute airfare is always expensive.

We've found "common" caribbean itineraries do not typically sell out, so if you're not picky about cabin (or cruise line, for that matter), you can usually get a deal. You might want to book airfare now to a common embarkation destination such as Miami or Fort Lauderdale, then book whatever cruise/cabin you can just before your preferred sail date. And if you can't find a cruise you want at a good price you can always just do a land based vacation in Florida. Just a thought.[/quote']

I would disagree, sometimes you can find a real catch for both flight and cabin from 3-1 months prior to cruising. It really all depends on many factors; economy, number of bookings, time of year, etc. Generally speaking, we have found that prices have risen for both cruise and flight for OUR preferred cruising time (Mid Oct to Mid Nov), then again, we have found some really amazing last minute deals in this time frame just a month or two prior to the cruise itself. As for airfare, its really best to use a travel agent if you are not aware of whats a deal or not, these days with avid promotions it really becomes a big old mess. I've seen flights drop down a few months prior to travel but also shoot up in price, so it really depends. Best bet for those who are not so experienced, get a really good recommended travel agent, or spend a month or two on these forums, either way, you will learn that deals come and go, theres no recipe for success.

You can always get adjustments prior to final payment because you can cancel with no penalty and rebook. After final payment, you are correct.

The only time the price cannot be agjusted, even before final payment if the new price for new booking only, one day sale and canceling and rebooking is not allowed.

You need to post the "exception to the rule" for others reading your post. If someone didn't know the rules for AA elites, they would believe that it is dollar/penalty free to redeposit miles for anyone.

And as a EXP, you KNOW you don't have book award seats when they are first released. A phone call will get you just about any seat you want on any flight you want (except certain "premium" nonstops)

That was the point of my quoted text:

It definitely helps to have status with the airline and be able to cancel my award tickets with no penalty.

Guess I could have been cleared that it was 'top-tier' status with the airline, but figured people would figure it out.

:eek: DISCLAIMER : yes I am aware of the "rules ' about posting...leave grammar, spelling alone.

But a HUGE favour please : don't hijack the English language, it is not yours to abuse.........."spendy" is not a word, and has no meaning.

Then apparently the Merriam-Webster dictionary must be wrong.

Definition of SPENDY : expensive

Examples of SPENDY

<Seattle is generally credited with transforming coffee from a workaday drink to a trendy and spendy beverage.>

Synonyms: big-ticket, dear, expensive, extravagant, high, high-end, high-ticket, precious, premium, priceless, pricey (also pricy), costly [chiefly Northwest], ultraexpensive, valuable

Antonyms: cheap, inexpensive

The only time the price cannot be agjusted, even before final payment if the new price for new booking only, one day sale and canceling and rebooking is not allowed.

I've never heard of this. How can they not allow you to cancel and then rebook (again, before final payment)?

If they won't let you do it in one call, what's to stop one from calling and canceling and then calling a second time to book under the Exciting Deals? I can't believe they'd turn people away when the ship is undersold.

Thanks for your input.

You are comparing apples and pears.

Abooking 5 days prior to departure compared with a booking a year prior to departure.

wHat an absurd thought.

What was the price of your cruise that you took last year 12 months prior to its departure. That isd the only reasonable comparison

Archived