Tipping for a Cookbook Purchase?

We purchased the latest RCI Cookbook in the main dining room of Enchantment of the Seas recently and were surprised to see a gratuity charge. :eek:

I am a generous tipper when food and beverage service is concerned and I have a sense as to how hard MDR waiters work, but a standard gratuity for merchandise? :(

:eek: Wow, really?

Unfortunately, yes.

Our Cruise Compass indicated the books were on sale in the dining room AND at Guest Relations, where we went to correct a bill entry for 25% C&A Platinum coupon that had been marked as 25 cents off. I questioned whether the gratuity would also apply for a Guest Relations desk purchase. The staffer told me the Compass ad was incorrect and the books are only available in the MDR. The coupon mistake was resolved and we were able to break even on the purchase.

I would have returned it for a full refund in a heartbeat. That's like adding a gratuity when you use something from the mini-bar, won't do that either.

I agree on the cookbook, that´s over the top, I don´t pay a gratuity when pruchasing anything in the shops onboard either.

On the mini-bar issue, while I´m not using anything from the mini-bar I can see why they would add the automatic gratuity. It´s just like any other bar purchase and someone has to stock the mini-bars, so I can see them adding gratuity for those folks.

I would have returned it for a full refund in a heartbeat. That's like adding a gratuity when you use something from the mini-bar, won't do that either.

I'm with you on that but we had asked our waiter to autograph the book and he doing so as we looked at the bill.

It seesm to me that lately anything that is purchased on board, with the exception of in a actual shop, is having a gratuity added to it. When we were on Oasis one day they had an area set up on the Promenade where they were selling RCI souvenier glasses and gratuities were being added to the price. It seems like just about anything that has a charge to it has a gratuity added. Maybe shore excursions will be next.:rolleyes:

It seesm to me that lately anything that is purchased on board, with the exception of in a actual shop, is having a gratuity added to it. When we were on Oasis one day they had an area set up on the Promenade where they were selling RCI souvenier glasses and gratuities were being added to the price. It seems like just about anything that has a chrage to it has a gratuity added. Maybe shore excursions will be next.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I would expect to pay a tip for a souvenir glass that was filled, but certainly not for an empty one. And, you're probably right about shore excursions.

It seesm to me that lately anything that is purchased on board, with the exception of in a actual shop, is having a gratuity added to it. When we were on Oasis one day they had an area set up on the Promenade where they were selling RCI souvenier glasses and gratuities were being added to the price. It seems like just about anything that has a charge to it has a gratuity added. Maybe shore excursions will be next.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they added a gratuity when I bought some empty RC shot glasses at a bar. The bartender was rummaging around for certain colors so I didn't mind.

I guess they'll try to get away with it and if people object, they'll stop doing it. I have a feeling most people will just pay it, though.

I guess they'll try to get away with it and if people object, they'll stop doing it.

I hope so. It was one cookbook that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Still, this was my only complaint on a 9-day cruise and that's not too shabby at all. ;)

Already burdened with so many tasks, there apparently is a lot of pressure on MDR wait staff to sell these cookbooks.

Our waiter, an RCI veteran of nearly 20-years, told us "you're saving my job by buying this cookbook." Perhaps the end of cruise gratuity total is a benchmark for sales and/or job security?

:confused:How much was the cookbook? Do you consider it a good buy?

It came to about $35.00. It's an attractive cookbook with premium paper, a dust cover and rich photos.

Could you have Googled those recipes for free?

Seems everything can be Googled, but we collect RCI cookbooks and like to have the hard cover edition. In the future, they may become E-reader apps?

It came to about $35.00. It's an attractive cookbook with premium paper, a dust cover and rich photos.

Seems everything can be Googled, but we collect RCI cookbooks and like to have the hard cover edition. In the future, they may become E-reader apps?

Steve, drop me an email at my CC screen name (no underscore) on aol dot com.

I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous. I would have disputed it, but I see you had your waiter sign it. Oh well. I hope you are enjoying it, though. :)

It's not a bad coffee table book.

If you a copy during your upcoming Brilliance cruise, maybe you can haggle over this fee. Hopefully, RCI will re-think this practice, given the overwhelming negative reaction in this thread.

Yea that's crazy...we purchased a cookbook on Seranade in February while eating in the main dining room, our head waiter brought it to us and even had the chef to autograph it..no surcharge just wonderful service. Sorry for your unfortunate luck.

Just a quick question-is it a new book? I already have 3 RCI cookbooks, but if this is a new one, I will have to budget for it (ie cut down on gambling to buy it:D)

Thanks!

Just a quick question-is it a new book? I already have 3 RCI cookbooks, but if this is a new one, I will have to budget for it (ie cut down on gambling to buy it:D)

Thanks!

Veronica, I don't know which three you have, but I do know that there are at least four.

Check the date of publication. (in mine, it's on a page at the back, NOT the front)

Veronica, I don't know which three you have, but I do know that there are at least four.

Check the date of publication. (in mine, it's on a page at the back, NOT the front)

Thanks Carol, I will have to check. If there is a fourth, then I will have to pick it up on my Monarch cruise in 6 weeks.

Archived