Help...Swimming and out of control hair.

LoveByrds

This is silly, i know!

But you have not seen me with drying hair! It curls up and then frizzes just on top of my head. I look like a lion without a mane. :(

The ends are okay since it is long.

With all the swimming and snorkeling i am visualizing a terrible hair cruise.

Anyone have ideas on taming it without going back to the cabin to blow-dry it every time i swim? Maybe a product, special headband, style?

I need help!

I have big fuzzy hair and what works for me is swimming with leave in conditioner in and then spraying some conditioner on the hair when I get out of the water. I also like to use biosilk when I travel to help keep things under control.

If you would consider having your hair done before the cruise, then there is the Brazilian Blowout treatment that straightens it for a few weeks. There is a talk about it on the fashion boards here Brazilian Blowout

There is some concern about formaldehyde, but I'll let you make your own decisions about it. Hope this helps. :)

This is silly, i know!

But you have not seen me with drying hair! It curls up and then frizzes just on top of my head. I look like a lion without a mane. :(

The ends are okay since it is long.

With all the swimming and snorkeling i am visualizing a terrible hair cruise.

Anyone have ideas on taming it without going back to the cabin to blow-dry it every time i swim? Maybe a product, special headband, style?

I need help!

Just cut it off and be done with it.

If you would consider having your hair done before the cruise, then there is the Brazilian Blowout treatment that straightens it for a few weeks. There is a talk about it on the fashion boards here Brazilian Blowout

There is some concern about formaldehyde, but I'll let you make your own decisions about it. Hope this helps. :)

This sounds amazing!

Thank you all for posting, i am going to look further into getting a Brazilian blowout, and tell my sis about leave in condition to help her slight frizz!

:p

I will GLADLY trade my limp, fine, thin, oily hair that NO product has ever been able to help for some thick frizzy locks!!~ Forget the pony tail....the rubber band just slides off. I'm serious! I have non-hair.

good moisturizing leave in condish and a french braid. helps block the chlorine/salt from being absorbed into the hair strand, and the braid keeps the frizzies at bay PLUS no ponytail bump. Just nice beachy waves (once the braid has mostly dried and the braid is undone) until its shower time.

I usually wear my hair in a braid when I'm swimming. After I get out of the water, I towel it dry, wringing out the water. Then it works for other activities during the day without having to dry it.

While my hair is not as bad as what your hair sounds like, I did the Keratin treatment on my hair prior to going on our cruise. It worked great, but the more you swim, the more it comes out. Most of the time we were in the ports, we were swimming, so my hair stayed wet. I always took along the leave in condition/detangler and also a hair tie to put it up until we returned the the ship and I could wash my hair and fix it nicely. :)

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

I put my hair in a ponytail on all except the last cruise. For that cruise I sported a cut very akin to a buzz. The braid idea sounds fantastic and seems as if that would be an option if the Brazilian blowout is a nix. Conditioning (leave-in) is a key factor and will help your locks.

If your hair is long enough, try the spin pins (goody makes them). Make a bun and spin one or two in - they'll hold tight (I swim and snorkel in them) and keep your hair controlled until you can do something with it. You could even put in some conditioner before you bun it for a little extra help. It might give you a fighting chance...

For cheap, quick solution, I just keep it tied up (braid or bun) and a regular old headband. As for a pricier and more permanent solution, I've done the Japanese ion hair straightening and it lasts pretty much until your hair grows out....which makes it awesome on a regular basis cuz I pretty much have straight hair! Wash my hair and let it air dry and its straight and sleek!

Without conditioner in her hair, one of my daughter's has hair that feels like tree bark when she emerges from the pool or ocean, poor thing. She uses a leave in conditioner and either a hair clip or tie followed by a baseball cap on the worst of days. She's planning to have the Brazilian Blow-out before this cruise and we will see how it goes. The danger is for the stylist, not so much for the customer, as I understand it.

I will GLADLY trade my limp, fine, thin, oily hair that NO product has ever been able to help for some thick frizzy locks!!~ Forget the pony tail....the rubber band just slides off. I'm serious! I have non-hair.

Oh yes, I am familiar with the fine-limp-oily hair yuck! Mine is thinner now than it used to be too. And "volumizing" products are a joke. Virtually any styling product just makes it look dirty/oily faster, so I rarely bother to do more than shampoo, light hair rinse for detangling, towel dry, brush it out, and call it a day.

In middle age, the grays are coming in curly, which is the way my hair was when I was about 13. I really disliked the thick frizzy curls nearly as much as I dislike the thin-limp-oily hair I've got now. I tell you no woman is ever really satisfied with her hair; we all want "the other kind.";) I'm beginning to think that perfect hair doesn't exist.

beachchick

• 3 months later...

Hi Girls,

About two weeks before my cruise a friend told me her stylist used coconut oil to smooth and calm her hair before a formal photo shoot.

I gave it a try and it worked fantastic (plus it makes it so the split ends are nearly invisible!)

I wore a very very light coat of pure coconut oil everyday and it stayed soft and managable after swimming even with the humidity!

Hi Girls,

About two weeks before my cruise a friend told me her stylist used coconut oil to smooth and calm her hair before a formal photo shoot.

I gave it a try and it worked fantastic (plus it makes it so the split ends are nearly invisible!)

I wore a very very light coat of pure coconut oil everyday and it stayed soft and managable after swimming even with the humidity!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Glad that option worked for you!

Archived