Monarch - Anyone off her today?

IMO they did not do much in the short time she was @ Bradford shipyard. Its about a 12 hour trip to Bradford from PC, thats a 24hr RT. Left on Friday and returned Monday leaving only about 48 hours in Freeport what could they do in this short amount of time? Lots of folks are calling it a drydock but most likely a wetdock.

Hoping to find a Chops or Portofino instead?;)

Ha, fat chance. No, friends of ours were on Monarch in March and one of the officers told them Jade was being replaced with Izumi. Just curious if this actually did happen.

Someone reported that the astroturf was still around the pool area. If that is true, that surprises me, since I was told by 2 different Monarch officers that the pool area was going to be like Majesty. Makes me think that maybe the Korean cruise line transfer rumor is true, and Monarch's dry dock got "abbreviated" pending the transfer. Really hope I'm wrong. Hate to see that crew broken up.

Bob

IMO they did not do much in the short time she was @ Bradford shipyard. Its about a 12 hour trip to Bradford from PC, thats a 24hr RT. Left on Friday and returned Monday leaving only about 48 hours in Freeport what could they do in this short amount of time? Lots of folks are calling it a drydock but most likely a wetdock.

It was gone for a week

As far as I recollect, she left Friday, May 6th and returned Monday, May 16th. There was quite a bit done.

It was gone for a week

As far as I recollect, she left Friday, May 6th and returned Monday, May 16th. There was quite a bit done.
You guys are right I was confused by this post on 5/13 :confused:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29092252&postcount=1

We had a safe and a tiny "almost cool" fridge in our SOV on deck nine, and our JS on deck 10 back in December.

Booked an outside guarantee for our upcoming NYE cruise, and have been already been assigned deck 5.

Not sure about that deck. We paid less for our JS last year then what we paid for this assigned cabin on deck 5 due to 3 times the upcharge on a holiday. :eek: ;)

Snackdaddy, How was the food and the entertainment. Did that improve from your last cruise. I know that it has nothing to do with drydock. Thank you

Hi gkny,

Keeping in mind how subjective rating food can be, we thought the food was surprisingly better than in the past. My wife remarked that RCI must be stepping up their game in the service and food departments.

As far as appetizers go, the sweet and sour shrimp soup was fantastic and both the garlic and onion soups were very good too. The escargot was as good as usual and the melon and prosciutto was very tasty. The Caesar and spinach salads were OK. The more memorable main courses were the tiger shrimp scampi, chicken marsala, lamb shank, and the prime rib. The deserts were standard RCI however they seemed to push more ice cream and sherbet.

We didn't see any of the shows so I cannot speak about them. The guitar and violin duo who played in the MDR every night was fantastic. They took requests on the spot and knew what they were doing.

I hope this very short synopsis helps.

Updated list - the GF might try to kill me if I take photos of food at dinner, but I'll try to sneak in a few.

Here is the running list:

Interior cabin on deck 2

Pool Deck

Jade Area (Izumi)

Menus

Food Photos

Snack Options

Kids' Area

Cruise Compass - Almost forgot that one

Hope this isn't a stupid question ... when they do dry docks of the older ships, why isn't wireless internet added? Unfortunately, some of us can't travel without it due to job, family etc.

The Monarch has an internet area. Service is slow and expensive, but helpful if you need it to communicate with family or to keep a business going.

M

I'm going to be one of the Riff-Raff in cabin 2125

I found out prices just dropped and I was able to get a slight upgrade. We now have a room with a view - 3110. It will have a nice porthole and very close to the Centrum on the bottom level.

Also, there was a thread started here that has some info on things we are looking for:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1421702

Looks like Jade did not change after all.

Here is the running list:

Exterior cabin on Deck 3 (with porthole)

Pool Deck

Jade Area (Izumi)

Menus

Food Photos

Snack Options

Kids' Area

Cruise Compass - Almost forgot that one

Just off of the Monarch - 6/3/11.....Did notice that carpet in some areas of the ship look new. Also, the blue indoor outdoor carpet was replaced around the entire pool and upper deck area. No teak was added as some had suggested. Other than that, could not tell of any major changes that jump out at you. Cruise was great as usual...Any questions and I will try and answer....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived