New - Many questions

smoothdancer

I have never sailed this line before and trying to figure it out...

In the past I have used an on line co to book cruises and this company has no expertise in this line, so I really dont have a TA. I was thinking just to book this one direct.

My choice is Rome To Venice in Sept 2012.

If I am reading this right all drinks are included in my fare and no tipping. Yet I have read reviews that others are buying wine, confused.

The voyage I am interested in has free airfare,in my case $99, so if I wanted to fly into Rome prior to the cuise I assume the free air would not work for me.

Smoking - (sorry) all these threads seem to be closed and not to recent but I gather no smoking is allowed in either the suite or the balcony but are limited areas where smoking is allowed, correct?

I would book the lowest cost cabin. It says that there are 95% balconies and I would need to book a guarantee cabin so would that mean the possibily exsists I would get a cabin without a balcony.... This would be a huge disappointment for me, anyway around this?

Any insight to my first booking on Silverseas would be so much appreciated.

Smoothdancer -- get yourself a knowledgeable cruise travel agent and save yourself a lot of time and grief. I do believe each person's booking experience is different, unique to what they're looking for, and a good TA can answer your questions immediately and hopefully get the booking you want.

FWIW

--I heartily agree re: booking through a travel agent.

--Also, if you back peddle through this forum, you will find lots of valuable information.

--Have you thought about booking the lowest category in the verandah group? That way you won't be disappointed.

--Wines are poured through out the ship in the diningrooms & bars. There is also a list of upscale wines should you prefer to purchase a bottle.

--The exception to the above statement is the special dining venue, Le Champagne. Folks have written several posts about this restaurant explaining its fee and wine policies.

--The SS web site usually spells out the rules re: smoking.

Ok. Thank you. It sounds like the wisest thing for me to do is find a TA.

I understand that recommendations cannot be made on this forum. I think I should research on line in my area for a TA who has expertise in luxury lines, agree?

Thanks for the smoking tip, I will research thier website, not that it is a biggie for me one way or another. Second hand smoke does not bother either my husband or I much.

Using a TA is the best way to go BUT if the TA has not been on Silver Sea it might be a bit of a problem getting advise on what the ship is like and such

They can get you the cabin and help you with other things but if you want to get what goes on the ship just ask a question or search the Forums

I have never sailed this line before and trying to figure it out...

In the past I have used an on line co to book cruises and this company has no expertise in this line, so I really dont have a TA. I was thinking just to book this one direct.

My choice is Rome To Venice in Sept 2012.

If I am reading this right all drinks are included in my fare and no tipping. Yet I have read reviews that others are buying wine, confused.

The voyage I am interested in has free airfare,in my case $99, so if I wanted to fly into Rome prior to the cuise I assume the free air would not work for me.

Smoking - (sorry) all these threads seem to be closed and not to recent but I gather no smoking is allowed in either the suite or the balcony but are limited areas where smoking is allowed, correct?

I would book the lowest cost cabin. It says that there are 95% balconies and I would need to book a guarantee cabin so would that mean the possibily exsists I would get a cabin without a balcony.... This would be a huge disappointment for me, anyway around this?

Find a TA. Ask friends, coworkers, other family members if they have a recommendation and ideally someone who specialized in luxury lines. Why? Aside from their help they can usually provide you with nice amenities such as shipboard credit or some type of other amenity or both.

Keith

Yes, get yourself a good TA, but basic answers are as follows:

If I am reading this right all drinks (yes, everything which is not considered "premium", i.e. you can order and pay from a "Fine Wine" list and for premium spirits, but no need to do so) are included in my fare and no tipping (correct). Yet I have read reviews that others are buying wine, confused (In the La Champagne restaurant, you can either order wine - and pay - from the list or pay for the wine flight accompanying the degustation menu, for which you also have to pay).

The voyage I am interested in has free airfare,in my case $99, so if I wanted to fly into Rome prior to the cuise I assume the free air would not work for me. (Confirm this with your TA but our experience with "free" air is

that either SS flys you for "free" between home and ports or you can get the money back and book your own flights. If you want to fly earlier or alter there is an additional rebooking/deviation fee. Are you sure it is $99, not $999?)

Smoking - (sorry) all these threads seem to be closed and not to recent but I gather no smoking is allowed in either the suite or the balcony but are limited areas where smoking is allowed, correct? (There are a few designated smoking areas, one can smoke in the suite or its balcony)

I would book the lowest cost cabin. It says that there are 95% balconies and I would need to book a guarantee cabin so would that mean the possibily exsists I would get a cabin without a balcony.... This would be a huge disappointment for me, anyway around this? (ONLY VISTA cabins have no balconies. ALL other cabins/suites - Verandah and up have balcony.So go for a non-midship Verandah)

Yes, get yourself a good TA, but basic answers are as follows:

If I am reading this right all drinks (yes, everything which is not considered "premium", i.e. you can order and pay from a "Fine Wine" list and for premium spirits, but no need to do so) are included in my fare and no tipping (correct). Yet I have read reviews that others are buying wine, confused (In the La Champagne restaurant, you can either order wine - and pay - from the list or pay for the wine flight accompanying the degustation menu, for which you also have to pay).

The voyage I am interested in has free airfare,in my case $99, so if I wanted to fly into Rome prior to the cuise I assume the free air would not work for me. (Confirm this with your TA but our experience with "free" air is

that either SS flys you for "free" between home and ports or you can get the money back and book your own flights. If you want to fly earlier or alter there is an additional rebooking/deviation fee. Are you sure it is $99, not $999?)

Smoking - (sorry) all these threads seem to be closed and not to recent but I gather no smoking is allowed in either the suite or the balcony but are limited areas where smoking is allowed, correct? (There are a few designated smoking areas, one can smoke in the suite or its balcony)

I would book the lowest cost cabin. It says that there are 95% balconies and I would need to book a guarantee cabin so would that mean the possibily exsists I would get a cabin without a balcony.... This would be a huge disappointment for me, anyway around this? (ONLY VISTA cabins have no balconies. ALL other cabins/suites - Verandah and up have balcony.So go for a non-midship Verandah)

Cruise director announced on Silver Whisper cruise 4114..."no smoking in suite or balcony"..........Apologies that I brought up the subject ...am now going to disappear:eek:

Turnipeater -- glad we met on Whisper -- and I confirm CD's announcement re no smoking.

We debarked in New York and I made my flight by a whisper....(pun intended);)

Still admiring my sunburn too.......

I have never sailed this line before and trying to figure it out... In the past I have used an on line co to book cruises and this company has no expertise in this line, so I really dont have a TA. I was thinking just to book this one direct. My choice is Rome To Venice in Sept 2012. Any insight to my first booking on Silverseas would be so much appreciated.

Glad you are considering Silversea and in the wonderful Med with stops in Rome, Venice, etc. You've received many great tips and ideas. Below you can look at my live/blog with lots of pictures, info on the food, service, quality, people, etc., in connection with Silversea. We very much loved our cruise experience with Silversea. Top quality! Great people, etc.!

We have done three cruises. Late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles over seven days. Then late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enjoying the Baltics and Russia. Then last year on the 296-passenger Silver Cloud from Copenhagen. All three lines are excellent with great service, fellow passengers, staff, etc. What’s best? The honest answer is . . . “It depends!!!”. Ports, schedules, timing and prices vary much, especially right now with this economy and two of these lines expanding (especially Seabourn) so much. You need to seek what best fits your exact personal needs, budget and interests. Getting ready in two weeks to test a larger ship, the 2,850-passenger Celebrity Solstice from Barcelona for stops in southern France, around Italy and two stops along the highly-desired Croatian Coast.

Lots of great options to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 41,345 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Turnipeater -- glad we met on Whisper -- and I confirm CD's announcement re no smoking.

We debarked in New York and I made my flight by a whisper....(pun intended);)

Still admiring my sunburn too.......

Hello, was lovely to meet you too....and everyone else ( well almost everyone else;))...You should have stayed in NYC...The sunburn would have turned to rust!...Arrived home on Friday to sunshine:):)

...In the past I have used an on line co to book cruises and this company has no expertise in this line, so I really dont have a TA. I was thinking just to book this one direct.
If you need a TA to walk you through the process, by all means do so. If you are familiar with the process yourself, you may book directly with the cruise line, and then find the deepest discounter who will act as a "ticketing agent" instead of a "travel agent" and save 12% or possibly more (we cannot mention any names)

You pay only for "premium wines". Bottled water is also freely provided everywhere. You don't have to tip and the majority don't.

His $99 may be the upcharge from a "secondary gateway city" (second tier airports in North America). As mentioned by MJN1, you may deviate on the dates, but will have to pay a deviation/service charge for that.

From our perception, Silversea is purposely vague on this one. They try not to alienate both the smokers and non/anti-smokers. They tell you that smoking is allowed in the cabin/balcony, while they keep mentioning that you are strongly advised against doing so for safety and other reasons. Their literature may show conflicting information at different places.

For the Cloud/Wind/Shadow/Whisper, the non-balconied vista suites are 80% the price of the balconied verandah suites, while midship verandahs are 105%. (The Shadow/Whisper has "shared balcony" terrace suites at 90%). The Spirit has the fewest non-balconied suites, and unlike the others, they are at 90% the verandah suite fare.

Hope the above helps.

Archived