Rough Guide for average Daily Spend onboard

Anybody give us a rough guide for an average daily spend whilst onboard Explorer of the Seas for 11 nights in November. We, me and the Mrs, like to have a few beers but haven't really considered excursions yet. Have read it is best to do these in port rather than through RCI?

It really depends upon you. You can spend next to nothing each day, and still have a great time. Tips are standardized, but you may want to budget a little more in case you decide to tip more than the recommendation. Get an idea for what excursions you want to do, and budget for those. Souvenirs are readily available for all budgets. Booze, gambling, and other onboard extras are what really add up, so you'd have to make your best guess-timate to determine that cost.

We just got back from a 7 night southern caribbean with 6 ports (that includes San Juan the port we left out of)

Our excursions for 2 people for all the ports including San Juan came out at a little over $800. Now this is on the high side, we didnt want to limit ourselves as we both feel like the excursions can really be the highlight of a cruise and we choose some pretty pricy options. For example in St. Croix we did a ATV/ Waverunner excursion which was $200 and in Antigua we did a full day Circumnavigation tour on a spead boat for $153/person. The rest of the excursions were about $60/person on average plus tips.

Our sea pass account was $613.35 which included tips for the two of us, combined this was about $135.00 we also bought $115 in cigarets, a $60 globe and a $20 ship model. We also bought 1 bingo package $60.00 so the rest was our bar tab $225. We always had drinks prior to dinner, and would have drinks at the pool. We didnt limit ourselves but we didnt try to get wasted either.

Before we left I pre-paid reservations for Chops $50 for two of us and Portofinos $40 so another $90 in specialty restaurants.

So the grand total for the two of us :

Excursions: $800

Sea Pass Account: $613.35

Specialty Restaurants: $90.00

Total: $1503.35

OK, another question - what is this tip for room service I keep seeing in these different threads for RCI? On the other lines we've been on (we are elite on Celebrity, elite on Princess) and Carnival - room service was always completely free no matter time of day and no tips.

So, what is this I keep seeing on these threads? Is it on every room service order? Only after a certain time?

We are on the Oasis in Sept. for a dual family 70th brithday celebrations and it's the first RCI for pretty much everyone, they wanted to try the new ship! I want to make sure all of us are prepared for that little detail - we all like our morning breakfast on the balcony, would really stink to have to add in extra for that!

Thanks in advance....

room service is free except late at night, I believe they charge $3.00 service fee after midnight, or something very similar. Don't quote me on that.

You do not HAVE to tip, but I always give a couple of bucks to the guy who delivers the food. This is not required but a nice gesture.

If you would like to have breakfast on the balcony every morning essentially you wouldnt have to spend a dime to do this.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. None of those figures too scary. I'm sure the Mrs will be looking for a few spa treatments on those sea days. All you very good people who don't get too 'wasted' well done I intend to be merry on occassions but not too 'wasted' lol. $100 is about £60 and £60 - £100 would be a good night out at home so it all seems reasonable enough.

I take it it is about $5 for a Bud Light onboard which I think is around what we were paying in NYC this time last year

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. None of those figures too scary. I'm sure the Mrs will be looking for a few spa treatments on those sea days. All you very good people who don't get too 'wasted' well done I intend to be merry on occassions but not too 'wasted' lol. $100 is about £60 and £60 - £100 would be a good night out at home so it all seems reasonable enough.

I take it it is about $5 for a Bud Light onboard which I think is around what we were paying in NYC this time last year

Archie

I am with you mate, it's not worth worrying about the cost if you have saved all year, enjoy yourself. life is too short.

You're bang on with the price there, and for mixed drinks, around $6 but they are hand pour and normally very generous.

If you'd like to see the way a few of us have spent our money onboard, you may want to look at this thread where we've detailed our final Seapass bills and talk about where the money went. That may give you an idea of some expenses you might want to consider in your planning.

Archie

I am with you mate, it's not worth worrying about the cost if you have saved all year, enjoy yourself. life is too short.

Very true Port Boy and anyway I'm forking out for the cruise itself and the good lady wife is doing all the onboard stuff. By November it will be a good 18 months since our last break and we aim to enjoy it to the max!!!

You're bang on with the price there, and for mixed drinks, around $6 but they are hand pour and normally very generous.

Don't you just love hand poured vodkas!!! Great to know and I will be able to practice my being very friendly to bar staff techniques whilst at sea!! Thank you!

Do any of the watering holes do a happy hour ?

Venusleo1 - thanks for your quick response. I hadn't encountered a surcharge on other lines and was hoping this was a misunderstanding. Oh well, not a big deal I suppose. Being nite-owls, my husband usually orders a sandwhich after being out dancing - so good to know!

Thanks again.

Don't you just love hand poured vodkas!!! Great to know and I will be able to practice my being very friendly to bar staff techniques whilst at sea!! Thank you!

Do any of the watering holes do a happy hour ?

Does "being very friendly to bar staff " a synonym for tip well?;)

I'm also interested in knowing if there are happy hour deals.

Hey, you are the star of John Heald's blog today. I really didn't pay close attention to it but saw your username.

Venusleo1 - thanks for your quick response. I hadn't encountered a surcharge on other lines and was hoping this was a misunderstanding. Oh well, not a big deal I suppose. Being nite-owls, my husband usually orders a sandwhich after being out dancing - so good to know!

Thanks again.

Depending on which ship you sail there may even be food venues open. If you sail on Voyager/Freedom/of Oasis class I believe the Cafe Promenade serves pizza and sandwiches till 2-3am and on the Radiance class I saw that the seaview cafe was open till 2am as well. If not maybe he can plan ahead and get a sandwich at the winjammer or before midnight when room service is free and then just keep it in the cooler/minibar in the room.

Hey, you are the star of John Heald's blog today. I really didn't pay close attention to it but saw your username.

Lucky me.:rolleyes: Stand by what I said but didn't expect it to be used by

someone else to abuse Heald on his own blog.:eek:

Have seen advertised Happy Hour deals. Check the Compass I am pretty sure that is where I saw them.

Well Richstowe a wee bit of banter and a bit of appreciation for good service goes a long way I think and not only on a cruise!!

Archived