Lobster on mediterranean cruises

Does RCL serve lobster on mediterranean cruises this season?

For instance the Mariner of the seas Holy Land cruise 11 nights, or the Voyager of the seas adriatic sea cruise, 7 nights.

They did have lobster tail on the last formal night on my med cruise aboard Independence in September 2010, same menus as when I have cruised in/from the US aboard RCCL ships. :D

No lobster on the May 8-15 Vision Baltic cruise. Giant prawns were served one night, but I believe I only got 2 of them on my plate which caused a chuckle or two at our table. Always had plenty to eat since I prefer multiple course dinners with small portion sizes, but nothing very memorable. I am not a picky eater, however, so it would have to be absolutely terrible for me to ever not find SOMETHING to eat that I enjoy. Like I said before, nothing really stands out so I think the overall food was only average on this sailing.

Hi All

I wonder if someone can explain something to me. Now, before I ask the question, I do not wish to cause offence, and I do not expect to be flamed, but probably will, but hey it may just be because I'm from the UK and I don't understand.

OK, here goes.

What is it with the perceived pre-occupation with Lobster?

I've lost count of the number of posts/threads that I see about whether Lobster is served, what the quality of the Lobster is, how the size of the Lobster tails are compared to previous servings, how many Lobster tails you can order and how often Lobster is served.

As I say, I do not wish to cause offence, but I just don't get it, so I need to ask, am I missing something? Of course it is totally acceptable to ask the questions about when, how, where it is served etc. I'm not getting at that.

I've eaten Lobster, but it isn't high on my list for it to make or break a cruise, so that's why I need to ask. Even when I'm not on a cruise, but on a land based holiday in the Caribbean, there seems to be this obsession with Lobster. There were discussions aplenty on another travel forum about the Dom Rep regarding Lobster.:confused:

Hi All

I wonder if someone can explain something to me. Now, before I ask the question, I do not wish to cause offence, and I do not expect to be flamed, but probably will, but hey it may just be because I'm from the UK and I don't understand.

OK, here goes.

I've lost count of the number of posts/threads that I see about whether Lobster is served, what the quality of the Lobster is, how the size of the Lobster tails are compared to previous servings, how many Lobster tails you can order and how often Lobster is served.

As I say, I do not wish to cause offence, but I just don't get it, so I need to ask, am I missing something? Of course it is totally acceptable to ask the questions about when, how, where it is served etc. I'm not getting at that.

I've eaten Lobster, but it isn't high on my list for it to make or break a cruise, so that's why I need to ask. Even when I'm not on a cruise, but on a land based holiday in the Caribbean, there seems to be this obsession with Lobster. There were discussions aplenty on another travel forum about the Dom Rep regarding Lobster.:confused:

Lobster is considered a "luxury" food. (despite the fact that YEARS ago, when New England fishermen pulled tons of them from the waters they were considered "poor man's food")

Some people, particularly those who live inland, don't or can't get lobster at home.

It is something that they look forward to on a cruise.

That's all.

Lobster is considered a "luxury" food. (despite the fact that YEARS ago, when New England fishermen pulled tons of them from the waters they were considered "poor man's food")

Some people, particularly those who live inland, don't or can't get lobster at home.

It is something that they look forward to on a cruise.

That's all.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, I thought it may be something like that, especially due to the size of the US and how far some people live from the shore. Whereas here I'm sure people say you're never more than 50 miles or so from the sea. Takes you forever to get there due to the millions of people we pack into a small island and the congestion on the roads, but hey, the shoreline is close by.:D

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, I thought it may be something like that, especially due to the size of the US and how far some people live from the shore. Whereas here I'm sure people say you're never more than 50 miles or so from the sea. Takes you forever to get there due to the millions of people we pack into a small island and the congestion on the roads, but hey, the shoreline is close by.:D

Are there lobsters in the waters around your island, Pete?

Are there lobsters in the waters around your island, Pete?
From what I understand the main area for Lobster is around the south west coast of the UK, there maybe more areas, but I'm not sure as Lobster doesn't seem to be that big a deal in the UK.

You are not alone.I don't get it either.

Love fresh lobster but have never understood this mania for small frozen lobster tails.

They aren't bad properly prepared but this whole preoccupation with them escapes me.:confused:

Hi All

OK, here goes.

I usually skip lobster on a cruise ship. Out of all my cruises, only one cruise line served a whole Maine lobster. The rest are frozen and not good.

You are not alone.I don't get it either.

:[/size]

Totally agree!

Take it or leave it for me unless I see it swimming before it is cooked, then it's a different story!

Now if they stopped serving steak.......

Never had lobster on our Med cruise on Navigator but we did have it on Freedom around the Caribbean and it was very nice , just got off P&O Ventura around the Med and got served lobster , it was very dry but ok , wonder why they dont serve lobster on RCI Med cruises ? Pete i chuckled at your post , yes there is an awful lot of posts about lobster on here , i must say my eyes lit up when i saw lobster on the menu on both Freedom and Ventura , probably because its something i have rarely because of the cost and i am a great seafood fan ;)

Dear friends:

Unless you are on a luxury line like Silversea, Crystal, and the chef goes ashore on a given day and purchases lobster and then serves it that night in the dining room, all lobster (tails or otherwise) is frozen, as is all fish and seafood loaded onto any cruise ship, as is all meat. That is the law in the United States and Europe and is the only way to prevent bacteria from spreading on cruise ships.

So I don't understand the comment about somebody eating fresh Maine lobster on a cruise ship -- unless it was 40 years ago.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived