Princess Insurance vs. Private

Cruise Junky

I'm looking at Princess Platinum insurance for our med trip next year. My flights won't be booked with Princess (or at least I don't think they will). I realize then that my flights won't be covered but if cancelled you can get a credit for a year.

Any comments about Princess vs. Private? I particularly like the cancel for any reason with Princess which seems to be difficult to find on private coverage in Canada.

A quick quote shows Princess being about $100 - $150 cheaper than private.

We both have company paid global medical coverage through work.

Thanks

Hi There

Insurance is so expensive your side of the pond, £80 gets us a year long policy including medical etc

yours Shogun

Bloody Hell! I'm looking $500 going with Princess or about $620 privately. Crazy!

Hi There

I think it comes from folks on your side of the pond submitting claims

for everything, as such costs go up.

Insurance overall is still cheap over hear.

yours Shogun

It's based on the cost of your cruise, so the higher category/price you book, the more the cost of the insurance. Doesn't matter whether it's through Princess or a private insurance co, it is all based on price. So, if you book the least expensive cabin, the insurance price will be lower than if you book a balcony, mini or full suite. You think that's bad, you should see what my insurance is for our next 28 day cruise in the Grand Suite. Scarey stuff. :eek:

You think that's bad, you should see what my insurance is for our next 28 day cruise in the Grand Suite. Scarey stuff. :eek:

You booked the Grand Suite on Sapphire?? NICE :D:D I've been in the one on The Grand - beautiful. Okay, I'll shut up whining about my $500 ;)

There are pluses and minus' to Princess insurance. In looking at independent insurance, it costs us a more because we're older. Onboard medical expenses can be tricky and if you decide on independent insurance, make sure it'll be covered. Some US medical won't cover onboard medical so even though you think you're covered, you may not be. Something else to consider is that should one of you get sick or injured and are unable to fly home for a while, your traveling companion's costs may not be covered. As my sister said when my BIL was so sick in FL, "Do they think I'm going to leave him in the ICU and fly home without him?" Princess will cover hotel and other costs up to the fare you paid for the cruise. Princess insurance is secondary whereas some independent insurance policies are paid directly. In other words, with the Princess insurance, you pay the costs and submit the bills for a refund. Also, with the Princess insurance, if you do have to cancel at the last minute or you can't make it due to flight problems, you'll either be refunded or receive a credit for a future cruise, depending on the reason. Independent insurance will pay you if the cancelation is covered.

Just a few random things to think about and consider.

Hi There

I think it comes from folks on your side of the pond submitting claims

for everything, as such costs go up.

I think you would be surprised here. We have a ton of people who don't go to the doctor at all because medical is expensive and/or they don't have insurance. The main abuse that exists here is when people don't have insurance and they go to the hospital which probably wouldn't happen if they had insurance....

Your medical is subsidized by your government. Totally different beast.

I'm looking at Princess Platinum insurance for our med trip next year. My flights won't be booked with Princess (or at least I don't think they will). I realize then that my flights won't be covered but if cancelled you can get a credit for a year.

Buy a separate policy (private) for your air.

Quick question... I notice with all my quotes from private insurance providers the medical is all secondary so it would hit my work medical insurance first regardless the same as Princess would.

The baggage coverage and baggage delay, would that only apply if you book Princess air? I guess you'd be covered if Princess dropped it in the Ocean. :eek:

It depends on the coverages you want.

If you want trip cancellation, so you get your

vacation money back if you don't go, then I think

the Princess protection is good.

If you just want medical coverage, then an

outside company can provide med only coverage.

On some, such as T r a v e l g u a r d just sign

up for the regular full coverage policy, but put

the cost of your trip at $ 0. It will drop the

premium cost and you will have med coverage.

Similarly, since you can set the cost of trip,

maybe you want to get half your money back

if you cancel, as you want less insurance expense.

Again, merely adjust your trip price accordingly.

Hope this is helpful. Have an great - and uneventful - trip.

OUr trip is costing around $8000 we insured for $6000 figuring that some of our expenses are refundable. If something happened like flight delays we could cancel hotels without a charge to us. Not exactly what I wanted to do but it worked for us.

We have goverment sponsored medicare in Canada. Notwithstanding that, our out of country medical coverage can be just as high simply because it based on costs that would be incurred outside the country. My former workplace worldwide benefits will run out in November. We are now in the process of shopping for primary out of country medical insurance. So far, we have found that if we up the deductable to 3 or 5 thousand we can greatly reduce the cost of the anual premium. We are fine with this because our concern is with catastrauphic medical costs/evacuation costs. I do not want a policy that levies a premium for medical insurance based on what we pay for the vacation because in our minds there is no co-relation between cost of vacation and risk of a medical claim.

We took our insurance with Princess for our upcoming Baltic cruise. Our TA looked at it and was surprised at how good a price it was. She told us to go with it instead of another well known company that she usually uses for us. We have medical insurance with our workplace also but just got the whole package as it was not much difference with taking the medical off and only having the cancellation. Look at Princess and RBC to compare prices. You have until the final payment to decide I believe Princess says.

Hi carol

I was making a general comment that insurance of any type is cheaper in the UK than in the US.

It would be even cheaper if my holiday did not include the US or medical cover.

Holiday Insurance Single trip Europe starts from £3 multi trip £12 OK basic

but I think you get the idea.

yours Shogun

Hi carol

I was making a general comment that insurance of any type is cheaper in the UK than in the US.

Holiday Insurance Single trip Europe starts from £3 multi trip £12 OK basic

but I think you get the idea.

yours Shogun

We have goverment sponsored medicare in Canada. Notwithstanding that, our out of country medical coverage can be just as high simply because it based on costs that would be incurred outside the country. My former workplace worldwide benefits will run out in November. We are now in the process of shopping for primary out of country medical insurance. So far, we have found that if we up the deductable to 3 or 5 thousand we can greatly reduce the cost of the anual premium. We are fine with this because our concern is with catastrauphic medical costs/evacuation costs. I do not want a policy that levies a premium for medical insurance based on what we pay for the vacation because in our minds there is no co-relation between cost of vacation and risk of a medical claim.

We too have Medicare that covers a lot and worldwide benefits for life.So that is good,but still need trip cancellation and baggage if lost or damaged.Last trip they smashed the wheel of suitcase and we got a completely new suitcase within a few days of the claim.:)

Princess only provides cruise insurance. Companies like Travelguard cover you during your hotel stays, flights, cruise, after cruise, etc.

Do you have companies in Canada like Travelguard?

Yes, Travelguard is always one that comes up when doing a quote through Insuremytrip.ca

If you need pre-existing condition coverage, be sure to read the policy requirements since they vary with companies/policies.

Many require you to cover your total non-refundable costs or they do not provide coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. So "0" trip costs would preclude coverage.

Last I checked Princess insurance does not cover ANY pre-existing medical conditions if you want your Money back -- but you can file under the any reason clause and get 75% or 100% back in a CREDIT for a future cruise.

I have excellent affordable travel isurance thru my BMO Mastercard. I don't need the med coverage (DND Blue Cross covers me) and the CC travel insurance was only $179/yr and will cover ALL travel which is booked using the credit card. It covers: cancellation (due to medical or death), trip delay (which includes provisions to "catch up" with your next carrier including a cruise ship) amd most importantly for us trip cancellation or delay attributable to military operational service! I didn't even know such a thing existed til I read it!

Hi carol

I understand. I just didn't want you to have the impression that ours is high because people abuse our medical system. It is setup totally different.

Yes, Travelguard is always one that comes up when doing a quote through Insuremytrip.ca

We have out of country travel insurance with my husband's insurance plan so we do not worry about coverage to and from the cruise. We book Princess Insurance for the cruise. We includ the medical coverage to ensure that if something happens, between both policies we are fully covered. I'm not sure if our provincial plan would cover any expenses out of the country so this way we don't have to worry about it.

Archived