Carnival sued over St. Thomas death

Nezmo

Yeah, I know that if my child died a bunch of money would make it all better.

I wouldn't be able to spend a dime of it knowing that my windfall came from the death of someone I loved.

To play Devil's advocate, if I died, I would want my family to be as well off as humanly possible.

I posted earlier on this and I am with Jen.

badavis -- I don't get it. Did the parents think that the child was gonna grow up and support them in their old age?

You want me to be a real devil:mad: (mind you I don't believe a word of what I am about to say) == they have now saved a small fortune on college tuition and a wedding!

It’s simple; most major corporations call it

RISK MANAGEMENT........

Carnival, like all the other cruise lines are solely interested in the bottom profit line. Obviously we live in a dangerous society but I truly

believe that Carnival should be partially held responsible for the unfortunate death

of its passenger and blame it on contributory negligence on Carnivals part.

So you believe that an airline, taxi, bus, cruise ship, or vehicle is responsible for every passenger it delivers to any location, regardless of where they go or what they do once they are dropped off?

It’s simple; most major corporations call it

RISK MANAGEMENT........

Carnival, like all the other cruise lines are solely interested in the bottom profit line. Obviously we live in a dangerous society but I truly

believe that Carnival should be partially held responsible for the unfortunate death

of its passenger and blame it on contributory negligence on Carnivals part.

That is not an answer. But I don't think passengers getting killed is good for their bottom line no matter who is responsible. People will be scared to book.

You say you "truly believe Carnival should be partially held responsible" and you blame it on "contributory negligence" but again you don't say why you believe that or how they were negligent. Sorry, I can't take you seriously unless you come up with something better than that.

I posted earlier on this and I am with Jen.

badavis -- I don't get it. Did the parents think that the child was gonna grow up and support them in their old age?

You want me to be a real devil:mad: (mind you I don't believe a word of what I am about to say) == they have now saved a small fortune on college tuition and a wedding!

Maybe the parents are planning on donating their settlement to victims of crime......

The litigious society we live in has gotten out of control. I'm being flamed for saying this lawsuit may actually go through, not because I agree with it, but because I'm simply pointing out reality.

Look at the warning labels they have to put on everything nowadays. Who doesn't know a beach ball isn't a life preserver? Who doesn't know a bicycle moves when used? Look at how side effects have to be listed on medication commercials. How do you think all this came to be?

I agree. It really is sad.

In my opinion, part of the cause is that too many of our elected officials are lawyers!:D

To play Devil's advocate, if I died, I would want my family to be as well off as humanly possible.

And it doesn't matter where the money comes from?? Maybe you should prepare a bunch of suits for them to follow depending on how you die! :rolleyes:

So based on the comments of how dangerous Mexico is and that the cruise lines are justified in pulling ships, I think that Naples now needs to suffer an economic blow due to the following:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4502

I'm sorry but you cannot convince me that Mexico is any more dangerous than anywhere else in the world, and in particular, to cruise ship passengers.

I believe some ports are more dangerous that others, but that they are still within reasonable safety limits if mainstream cruise lines are still taking passengers to them. However, people who are more risk adverse usually avoid ports that appear to be in troubled areas. That's why a good number of people have been cancelling their Middle East cruises, and avoiding certain parts of Mexico.

Maybe the parents are planning on donating their settlement to victims of crime......

That's what they (general they, not this case specific), but they have found cases where the money stayed right at home. Remeber seeing a couple of such instances written up in articles about fraud.

But it's still a dicey kind of lawsuit. Like all pain and suffering lawsuits.

That's what they (general they, not this case specific), but they have found cases where the money stayed right at home. Remeber seeing a couple of such instances written up in articles about fraud.

But it's still a dicey kind of lawsuit. Like all pain and suffering lawsuits.

My point was nobody knows the facts about any of this......but everyone seems to know everything about it........

That is not an answer. But I don't think passengers getting killed is good for their bottom line no matter who is responsible. People will be scared to book.

You say you "truly believe Carnival should be partially held responsible" and you blame it on "contributory negligence" but again you don't say why you believe that or how they were negligent. Sorry, I can't take you seriously unless you come up with something better than that.

The widow of a man from Arlington Heights who died last year after falling while unloading an aircraft at Kuwait International Airport is suing Boeing.

The suit alleged Boeing failed to provide protective equipment.

John Bruce had worked for United Airlines as a ramp serviceman for over two decades.

He was standing atop a mobile belt loader removing cargo from a Boeing 747 when the operator of the loader moved it without warning. That sent Bruce falling more than ten feet to the tarmac.

His widow Cleopatra, who is called "Patty" by family and friends, filed suit in Cook County Circuit Court Monday.

Bruce suffered severe brain injuries from the fall and died six days later according to Patty.

She says it is a tragedy that never should have taken place.

The suit alleges Boeing and the manufacturer of the loader failed to provide equipment protecting him from the fall.

You see, she can't sue the operator of the loader...he has no money....so you go after the """""deepest pocket""""".....

............sad story snipped..........

You see, she can't sue the operator of the loader...he has no money....so you go after the """""deepest pocket""""".....

No doubt they are suing Carnival because they have the "deepest pocket", maybe the only pocket, but you said you "truly believe Carnival should be partially held responsible" and you blame it on "contributory negligence". You still don't explain why YOU believe that or HOW they were negligent. All you are saying is that the lawsuit is totally crass.

Maybe Carnival hurt themselves by pulling ships from Mazatlan and not doing the same in St Thomas. The corporate line was we are pulling ships out of Mazatlan for the safety of our passengers yet no cruise ship passengers were ever harmed there.

So why wouldn't they have done the same when a passenger was killed in St Thomas. And Naples? By continuing to visit ports where there is known danger, Carnival is subjecting their passengers to danger.

I can see where this argument could have some validity.

No doubt they are suing Carnival because they have the "deepest pocket", maybe the only pocket, but you said you "truly believe Carnival should be partially held responsible" and you blame it on "contributory negligence". You still don't explain why YOU believe that or HOW they were negligent. All you are saying is that the lawsuit is totally crass.

par·tial

Yes, I believe Carnival is PARTIALLY responsible for the death of their passenger.

   [/url]/ˈpɑrthinsp.pngʃəl/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[pahr-shuhthinsp.pngl] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

–adjective 1. being such in part only; not total or general; incomplete: partial blindness; a partial payment of a debt.

2. biased or prejudiced in favor of a person, group, side, etc., over another, as in a controversy: a partial witness.

3. pertaining to or affecting a part.

EXPAND 4. being a part; component; constituent.

Thus Carnival is liable for damages anywhere from 1% - 99 %.

I guess a jury will decide.

this family lost a child and they do need to be compensated by the cruise line and the killer. Remember they had to pay for burial of their CHILD never mind the grief they suffer daily.

this is what is wrong with America today. Why do they need to be compensated by the cruise line? As PARENTS, they made the decision to step foot on St Thomas with their precious child, the cruise line didn't kill the girl. The cruiseline didn't force them off the ship.

Maybe they should sue the US government for failing to control the violence in St Thomas...maybe they should sue the driver for not swerving or anticipating the problem...

I feel bad for the family, but this was not an accident. This girl was murdered, and the killer should be held responsible. Unfortunately, these things happen far too often, everywhere in the world. Americans spend far too much time looking for someone to blame rather than making things better...

Maybe they should sue the US government for failing to control the violence in St Thomas...maybe they should sue the driver for not swerving or anticipating the problem...

I remember reading a lot of posts on various Fox News discussion boards that the USA (at the height of the Iraq War) should attack Aruba over what happened to Natalie Holloway.

I remember reading a lot of posts on various Fox News discussion boards that the USA (at the height of the Iraq War) should attack Aruba over what happened to Natalie Holloway.
'Fox' and 'news' should never be used in the same sentence. Fox insult my intelligence.

this is what is wrong with America today. Why do they need to be compensated by the cruise line? As PARENTS, they made the decision to step foot on St Thomas with their precious child, the cruise line didn't kill the girl. The cruiseline didn't force them off the ship.

I feel bad for the family, but this was not an accident. This girl was murdered, and the killer should be held responsible. Unfortunately, these things happen far too often, everywhere in the world. Americans spend far too much time looking for someone to blame rather than making things better...

So what exactly is the facts of this lawsuit:confused: Are the plaintiffs Americans:confused:

I usually spell it "Faux" myself...:D

yes so we should tune into the other great forms of accurate news with no agenda

like msnbc, cnn or al jezzera...:D

or any of the other 30 news "organizations" Soros funds ... funds to the tune of billions, they have no agenda

So why wouldn't they have done the same when a passenger was killed in St Thomas. And Naples? By continuing to visit ports where there is known danger, Carnival is subjecting their passengers to danger.

Lets see - that now leaves out Miami, NY, Jamaica, Belize, DR, PR, Mexico, and pretty much every port I have been to. It doesn't matter if it was a cruise ship passenger killed, or a citizen/visitor to the place - there is danger in every town, city, state, country. I can't tell you how many automatic rifle-bearing police I see as I embark/debark at a port, or walk the streets outside the port. DD even started a scrapebook by having us take a picture at each port with her posing with the heavily-armed police- not to make light of a sad issue. Remember - you do not have to get off at a port if you think your safety is being compromised. And then we come to the issue of natural disasters. Does that mean CCL can be sued if an earthquake hits (like Haiti, California, etc.) when you are there?

Maybe Carnival hurt themselves by pulling ships from Mazatlan and not doing the same in St Thomas. The corporate line was we are pulling ships out of Mazatlan for the safety of our passengers yet no cruise ship passengers were ever harmed there.

I can see where this argument could have some validity.

Makes no sense. There is crime everywhere...they will cruise around in circles....but how will people board?? Every port city has crime

Sad to say that the very month this happened North Miami had a similar case.....a teen shot in a drive by....and then another drive by at his funeral killed another person. Maybe they can sue Carnival also??

I will be very blunt here...I hope they get this case thrown out cause it would open up a very bad precedent. What about the girl who died on the jet ski in the Bahamas?? Yes it seems booze was involved..and it was not a Carnival excursion...but I guess you could say Carnival brought her to the Bahamas...you could even say that Carnival encouraged her to begin drinking with all the drink of the day and drink pushing etc.

where does it end??

Like my dad used to say "Common sense isn't common anymore"

Archived