Shuttle services from Dock to Airport, Vancouver

the2ofus

Anyone have experience with the shuttle services available in Vancouver? Suggestions or recommendations? I know there is the Skytrain but I'm thinking it would be easier to hire a shuttle in advance. There are 7 of us, plus luggage (of course). The transportation offered by HAL is expensive when multiplying by 7.

Anyone have experience with the shuttle services available in Vancouver? Suggestions or recommendations? I know there is the Skytrain but I'm thinking it would be easier to hire a shuttle in advance. There are 7 of us, plus luggage (of course). The transportation offered by HAL is expensive when multiplying by 7.

If you wander down to the 7-11 in the airport, buy a book of 10 two-zone transit tickets (called a faresaver) for $31.50 and that's 3 tickets to spare for all of you to ride Skytrain into town.

Otherwise you're looking at 2-3 taxis at $35/ea or likely a small van for around $100

Two cabs will run $35 plus gratuity and there are mini-van cabs so you will not have trouble getting everyone into 2 cabs. Aerocar is a reliable limo company and have the contract with YVR for limo service. Below is a link to their website and you could get a firm price from them for 7/8 pax limo. However my guess is that 2 taxis will prove less expensive after you add 12% tax to the limo tab and a gratuity.

http://www.aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates

What do most do about flight schedules departure post cruise? The flights I pull up coming back to the east coast are all early flights, and I doubt we could make those. Is it common for most to stay in a hotel before leaving the next day?

What do most do about flight schedules departure post cruise? The flights I pull up coming back to the east coast are all early flights, and I doubt we could make those. Is it common for most to stay in a hotel before leaving the next day?

You shouldn't plan to catch a flight out of Vancouver much before 11:30 am on the morning of disembarkation. So a lot of people do spend the day exploring Vancouver while others will take Quick Shuttle or Amtrak to Seattle and return home from there.

You shouldn't plan to catch a flight out of Vancouver much before 11:30 am on the morning of disembarkation. So a lot of people do spend the day exploring Vancouver while others will take Quick Shuttle or Amtrak to Seattle and return home from there.

Thanks! I am finding a few Delta flights that fly out around noon, so I may opt for that, but grabbing a hotel and flying out early the next morning would not be bad either.

I agree with Putterdude. Our group of seven just returned Saturday from Alaska and we had a 12 noon flight on Delta out of YVR back to Alabama. We did use ship transfers and got off the ship around 8:30 and we were at the gate at the airport about 45 minutes before pre-boarding the plane started. We did talk to several other people that were staying in Vancouver for an extra night though.

Thanks! I am finding a few Delta flights that fly out around noon, so I may opt for that, but grabbing a hotel and flying out early the next morning would not be bad either.

We would be delighted to have you stay and will leave the porch light on for you.:)

We are planning to fly out of Vancouver the day of arrival . Do I need to get Canadian dollars for the taxi ? Do they accept credit cards? Thanks.

They accept credit cards, and US Cash (generally at a rate of around 1US$ = C$0.90-0.95). it's about a $35 taxi fare, and 30 minutes during the day

Your other option is the Skytrain (subway) from downtown to the airport which is $3.75/ea and about 25 minutes; but you'll need to walk 3 blocks from Canada Place to Waterfront Station.

We would be delighted to have you stay and will leave the porch light on for you.:)

That is very sweet and accomodating of you!! :D

Looking forward to our visit with your country!

We love Vancouver and BC! Big cheer leaders here! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Our TA just recommended Aerocar (sp) and it was $65 plus 12% tax. There are 6 of us and we will be splitting 3 way so that's not bad and cheaper than a taxi and it's a limo.;)

Aerocar is approved limo operator to/from YVR and for the the 6 of you, well you couldn't take two cabs for that price. :)

Like the OP, we have a big group too. Our group of 10 will arrive in Vancouver on Friday, September 16th at 7:00 a.m. on the Radiance which will be the only ship in port that day. We know that the US Direct program is no longer available. Here are my questions.

1) Our flight leaves Vancouver at 11:16 am. What is the earliest time for outgoing flights to qualify to use the Luggage Valet Program?

2) An RCI transfer from Canada Place to the Vancouver Airport costs $36.00 per person. Even if we can use the Luggage Valet Program, I do not believe that we need to use the RCI transfer and think that hiring a limo/van would prove to be less expensive and faster than waiting for the transfer bus to fill up. Several in our group have difficulty walking so that would rule out using the light rail system. If all of the above is correct, does anyone have any recommendations for a good limo/van company besides Aerocar?

Thanks for your help,

The guy that drew the short straw and has to organize everything! :>):eek:

I would recommend contacting these people, the are the official limo service of the airport. They have stretch limos that will handle the 10 of you and I am just guessing but on a reserved basis it will likely run you about $120 + 12% tax and a tip. It will prove to be much faster than a transfer, more comfortable and a lot more economical.

http://www.aerocar.ca/

What are the exact directions to the sky train from where the Royal Caribbean ships dock? Our plane leaves at 12:15 so should we do the sky train or a cab? We will do self debarkation so should be off the ship fairly quickly.

What are the exact directions to the sky train from where the Royal Caribbean ships dock? Our plane leaves at 12:15 so should we do the sky train or a cab? We will do self debarkation so should be off the ship fairly quickly.

From Canada Place to YVR via Skytrain;

Exit Canada Place, take the sidewalk on your left; walk one block straight ahead to Cordova Street. Yes there's an escalator marked Skytrain on this sidewalk don't take it, as it leads to the platforms for other lines that don't go to the airport. When you reach Cordova, turn left, and walk two blocks, and Waterfront Station is on your left. It's badly marked as "The Station" but there will be lots of people going in and out so it's fairly obvious. Once you're inside turn immediately left, and the the elevator and escalator to the Canada Line Platform are right ahead of you. You'll need 2-zone tickets, $3.75 weekdays, $2.50 weekends. I would try and get off the ship around 8:45-9:00, so that you can be at Skytrain around 9:15 and at the airport around 9:45. At the airport, it's pretty obvious how to get to US Departures, it's down a couple of levels and across a roadway.

If you have any more questions, fire away; I ride Skytrain every day....

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently gotten back from an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver, and there are airport shuttles available right inside the terminal when you get off the ship. It cost $14 per adult, which was cheaper than the HAL transfer, and it is a small bus, so they can carry all the luggage you have. We got off the ship at 9:30, got the shuttle bus at 10:00, and were at the airport at 10:30. I have also taken the Canada Line skytrain, which is easy to use and cheap, but it might be a lot of trouble if you have a lot of luggage. Check my blog for pictures of the station and directions to get there if you like.

From Canada Place to YVR via Skytrain;

Exit Canada Place, take the sidewalk on your left; walk one block straight ahead to Cordova Street. Yes there's an escalator marked Skytrain on this sidewalk don't take it, as it leads to the platforms for other lines that don't go to the airport. When you reach Cordova, turn left, and walk two blocks, and Waterfront Station is on your left. It's badly marked as "The Station" but there will be lots of people going in and out so it's fairly obvious. Once you're inside turn immediately left, and the the elevator and escalator to the Canada Line Platform are right ahead of you. You'll need 2-zone tickets, $3.75 weekdays, $2.50 weekends. I would try and get off the ship around 8:45-9:00, so that you can be at Skytrain around 9:15 and at the airport around 9:45. At the airport, it's pretty obvious how to get to US Departures, it's down a couple of levels and across a roadway.

If you have any more questions, fire away; I ride Skytrain every day....

Thank you so much for the information. We found the way easily with your help. It is even cheaper with a "concession" fare if you are old enough.

Thank you so much for the information. We found the way easily with your help. It is even cheaper with a "concession" fare if you are old enough.

I'm glad it all worked out well for you. Yes concession fares (over 65, or under 13) are a little less, and I tend forget about them .

I was planning to take the Canada line to our downtown hotel when we arrive in Vancouver, but it looks like we would have to add $5 to each of our fares. If that's the case, then getting a cab from the airport, even if it's a little more, may be worth it.

When we return to Vancouver, taking the skytrain back to the airport should be fine -- we're a small group (just 4 of us), with 2 very fit teenagers who should be able to pull their own weight.

I'm curious to know more about this AddFare -- seems like it just discourages ridership from the airport? I'm a big fan of public transportation, but the convenience of having a cab drop us right at the hotel rather than having to walk several blocks in a new city is certainly a factor to consider. If the public transportation fare is more than doubled on top of it -- not much else to consider.:rolleyes:

Counting down the days -- 10 more to Vancouver and 12 to the cruise!

Laurie

A lot of people feel the same way you do....here is a link that explains the extra charge. Now you could avoid the extra charge by going to the Pharmasave or the 7-11 in the Domestic part of the YVR terminal and purchasing a FareSaver book of 10 two zone tickets for $31.50 and the 4 of you use them in either direction...you would have 2 tickets left over but you could leave them at the front desk of your hotel and someone will use them.:)

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/rider_info/canada%20line/addfare%20faq/canada%20line%20yvr%20addfare%20faq.ashx

I was planning to take the Canada line to our downtown hotel when we arrive in Vancouver, but it looks like we would have to add $5 to each of our fares. If that's the case, then getting a cab from the airport, even if it's a little more, may be worth it.

When we return to Vancouver, taking the skytrain back to the airport should be fine -- we're a small group (just 4 of us), with 2 very fit teenagers who should be able to pull their own weight.

I'm curious to know more about this AddFare -- seems like it just discourages ridership from the airport? I'm a big fan of public transportation, but the convenience of having a cab drop us right at the hotel rather than having to walk several blocks in a new city is certainly a factor to consider. If the public transportation fare is more than doubled on top of it -- not much else to consider.:rolleyes:

Counting down the days -- 10 more to Vancouver and 12 to the cruise!

Laurie

Well, the trick here, before you leave the airport, but a 10 pack of two-zone transit tickets $31.50 (or even one zoners $21 if all your travel is weekends or after 6;30pm weekdays). The faresavers (and month/year passes) are exempt from the $5 airport fee. Also the tickets are good on the bus (good anywhere within the zone areas for 90 minutes from validation), so you might be able to get off your subway near your hotel and bus it the rest of the way.

Faresaves are sold by both Pharmasave and 7-11 inside the airport itself.

Archived