Roll Call:Silver Cloud Barbados Panama Canal Cruise Dec. 6-22nd 2011

boccenana

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Darcy & Carol-Ann, we will be staying at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel in Hastings about 20 minutes south of you guys. Our plans are the same since boarding begins around 1PM. Would you like to try and get together one evening in Barbados?

We received our Silversea Packette two days ago, so happy we have a great Travel Agent.

This is so exciting being our very first cruise. Thankfully the CC web site has been a store of information for newbies.

I must admit I got a little apprehensive when I read about the thread about the gowns and tuxedos, we are pretty laid back people. We know what "resort wear" is as we live in a resort community, but I must admit, I don't own a gown nor my husband a tuxedo any more. We left that stuff years ago on the East Coast. We will probably opt out of the formal dinners. A sport jacket and slacks is as far as John will go and I have no intention of forcing him to put on a tuxedo. If he had to we would not be going on this cruise.

I think it is wonderful for those that want to do that, and I will ohhhhhh and ahhhhh at those formally dressed, but that doesn't mean we have to.

We plan on a very relaxing and fun cruise, that is why I chose Silversea and the Silver Cloud.

Yes - American Airlines Flight #514. Our flight from Seattle gets into Dallas at 11:50. Are you and John on that flight as well?? On Dec 5th, we are spending the day with Calabaza Saling Cruises. We had a wonderful day on the catamaran in January (only 12 pax so definately not a booze cruise). If you are interested, it would be a fun thing for us to do.

Excellent we will be on the same flight to Barbados as I am sure anyone arriving in Barbados on the 3rd will also be, there is only one flight as far as I know.

We arrive in Dallas at 10:50 so will meet for sure at the gate. I'll wear a yellow rose in my lapel...........just kidding.

I think we will pass on the catamaran trip although it sounds great, John has Menier's disease which is an inner ear thing. We are hoping the cruise won't be an issue once he gets his sea legs. We are stocked up on the patches if need be. We have been on private motor and sailboats before with no problem, but he just doesn't want to push his luck before the cruise.

See you in Dallas and cannot wait to hear more about the beautiful place you are from in BC.

Dallas it is. I will let you know closer to the date what I will be wearing or you may have to wear that yellow rose - or perhaps John will.

We are still waiting for our travel documents. Probably sitting at the border somewhere. FYI Darcy and I do the formal nights - Darcy in a dark suit and I in a nice dress. We always blend in as others are dressed similarly. Other dining options are lovely and formal is not required. You have certainly picked a wonderful ship for your first cruise. I am excited to see what you reaction will be.

Are other CC wanting to meet up with us?

Oh good Carol-Ann I can ohhh and ahhhh over you guys. John has not owned a suit or tie since we moved to Arizona 20 years ago. A blazer and slacks are Oro Valley Formal. Informal would be a Blazer, jeans and boots. There are many true formal affairs here especially starting this time of the year when all the winter residents move back. One fundraiser is called "Turquoise and Denim", that should give you an idea of the area we are in.;)

Okay, Dallas it is then, looking forward to meeting all who end up there on December 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...
Dallas it is. I will let you know closer to the date what I will be wearing or you may have to wear that yellow rose - or perhaps John will.

We are still waiting for our travel documents. Probably sitting at the border somewhere. FYI Darcy and I do the formal nights - Darcy in a dark suit and I in a nice dress. We always blend in as others are dressed similarly. Other dining options are lovely and formal is not required. You have certainly picked a wonderful ship for your first cruise. I am excited to see what you reaction will be.

Are other CC wanting to meet up with us?

Carol-Ann, do you think putting our Silversea luggage tags on our carry on bags will be a good way to find each other?

I haven't even started packing yet, still getting things ready for our friends to take care of our home and most of all our little dog Agatha......yikes, there has been so much extra going on here since August........WE NEED A VACATION.

The whole reason we even started down this wonderful path is that we both wanted to transit the Panama Canal. After much research, which I love to do, it seemed Silversea was the best choice for what we wanted.

I did book us for the submarine tour in Aruba and the carriage tour of Cartagena,

anything else we will play by ear. Since this is our first cruise I just want to enjoy the ship and the fellowship.

15 days and counting. Really excited now and we can't wait to meet you and Darcy.

Hi,

This we will be our third cruise on Silversea, really looking forward to it!

We emigrated from the UK to the lovely island of Cyprus 7yrs ago, but we love the pure luxury of Silversea cruises. :p

We are really looking forward to sailing through the Panama canal.

We were slightly concerned by some reports saying the Cloud it looking a bit "tired", although I guess that's why its having a refit in 2012?

As stated above, we were hoping for a day room when we leave the ship as we don't fly back to the UK until late evening, I guess we may have to find our own day room.

Looking forward to meeting other passengers on the trip as is my mother in law who we treated to this trip.

This is our third time with Silversea, hope we are not disappointed, i'm sure we won't be. :)

I haven't even started packing yet, still getting things ready for our friends to take care of our home and most of all our little dog Agatha......yikes, there has been so much extra going on here since August........WE NEED A VACATION.

The whole reason we even started down this wonderful path is that we both wanted to transit the Panama Canal. After much research, which I love to do, it seemed Silversea was the best choice for what we wanted.

I did book us for the submarine tour in Aruba and the carriage tour of Cartagena,

anything else we will play by ear. Since this is our first cruise I just want to enjoy the ship and the fellowship.

15 days and counting. Really excited now and we can't wait to meet you and Darcy.

Hello All - Glad to see there are more on board (so to speak ) now. I am sorry I have niot been here for a couple of months but my PC went flop bot!! and I have not been able to get to this website through work.

We arrive in Barbados the day we embark so will just see you on board hopefully - does anyone know if we can arrange a CC meet on board? Does the guest relations director or whatever they are called by Silversea arrange such things say on the first day at sea or do we do it ourselves?

Looking forward to meeting all of you soon

Welcome back Steve. Computers are great when they work.

I think we will have to fend for ourselves as far as I can tell. Who would like to pick a time and place for we CC'rs to meet? Bar no doubt. I am a newbie until after this cruise so I will leave it to the pros to decide. Name the time and place and John and I will be there.

After reading that the Clouds A/C wasn't working I emailed my TA and she called Silversea, they told her they sent US maintenance to fix it and it is fixed. Whatever........the worst thing that could happen is my make up drips but after a few rums, I really won't care. It's meeting you all and relaxing that is the priority........it's an adventure, there is just so much planning for the perfect trip I can do.

We are more than ready to kiss the world goodbye for 3 weeks.

I suggest your TA was not given accurate info. The AC is not fixed. The technician was onboard, parts were ordered and delivered but the repair was unsuccessful. The Cloud is departing from Manaus shortly under the same conditions that have existed since we embarked in Barbados.

I suggest you get your travel agent to closely monitor the situation.

Best of luck!

Looks like there will be some "fun people" on board for this sailing. My husband and I love cruising, but this is our first trip on Silversea. We love the small ships and are really looking forward to this cruise. Let us know when CC'ers have picked a bar :)

Bob & Carol

Welcome Bob & Carol, I guess we can just keep watching our CC emails until a decision is made. Are you flying to Barbados from Dallas.....what day?

I don't know how busy we all will be when we embark or if we will have to wait to go to our cabins. :confused:

This is all new to me, but meeting at the pool bar and grill would be my suggestion if we have to wait for our cabins to be ready.

If there is no A/C I would rather be outside anyway. Open for other suggestions for sure.

Leaving Barbados Dec.6th, 16 days I too had concerns about crew below passenger decks

Thank you so much Capt. F for ongoing information on the Silver Cloud as we are on the Barbados to San Diego 16 day cruise leaving December 6th.

This will be our first cruise ever, and I expected the best of everything, hence the reason I chose Silversea, but when I heard from you about the A/C problems, of course it was me, me, me at first, having to rethink packing etc. While I tried to fall asleep last the first thought that came to my mind was Holy Cow, what about the poor crew and galley workers.

I am very happy to hear that the crew not only didn't take it out on the passengers, but they exceeded expections and I have duly noted your concerns for them.

We figured we will go with the flow (no pun intended) as we couldn't change plans now even if we wanted too.

We look forward to many fun CC people we have been blogging with this past year that will be on our cruise to make the best of it

There were only two criteria my husband asked for before doing my research to book this cruise. Number one......can he smoke his cigars? Number two, itinerary: transit the Panama Canal.

Not to be selfish but do you have any idea how did the Connoisseurs Lounge faired during the no A/C issue. This is a big part of the reason for a cruise for us. That ability for fine cigars ans spirits.

The crew is the Face of Silversea and they continue to smile and and not utter a complaint about the heat on decks 2 & 3, the galley and laundry. They are working under difficult conditions.

Unlike those of us who departed the Cloud in Manaus perhaps those now onboard are not aware that those of us who basically mirrored your changed itinerary between Barbados and Manaus and endured not only the same conditions, but also the anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be fixed and cruise terminated only received a $2500 pp future cruise credit with an expiration date of June 2013.

So congrats to those of you who embarked on Nov. 22!

Silversea apparently thought you folks deserved a full refund and a free cruise as well if you wanted to tough it out like we did. BTW deck 4 according to some Guests was pretty hot and musical suites was part of the Silversea Experience!

An infrared gun was used to verify suite and common area temperatures.

I don't begrudge the newly embarked Guests their "special treatment" by Silversea, but you now have an opportunity to make a difference and perhaps an incentive to support your crew.

I think it would be nice and certainly appreciated that you consider making a contribution to the Crew Fund to share some of your "lottery winnings" with the loyal and exceptional crew.

Hi,

This we will be our third cruise on Silversea, really looking forward to it!

We emigrated from the UK to the lovely island of Cyprus 7yrs ago, but we love the pure luxury of Silversea cruises. :p

We are really looking forward to sailing through the Panama canal.

We were slightly concerned by some reports saying the Cloud it looking a bit "tired", although I guess that's why its having a refit in 2012?

As stated above, we were hoping for a day room when we leave the ship as we don't fly back to the UK until late evening, I guess we may have to find our own day room.

Looking forward to meeting other passengers on the trip as is my mother in law who we treated to this trip.

This is our third time with Silversea, hope we are not disappointed, i'm sure we won't be. :)

I agree the reports this last week haven't been exciting, but I think it will all be overcome by the gathering of the right people with a sense of humor and adventure. That's the worst that can happen.........had to rethink packing as I don't know if there will be A/C.......it will be warm and beautiful.

See you on board, John and I are trying to figure out where and when to meet with the CC'rs......bar of course.......I have been open to suggestions as this is our

very first cruise ever, so I am trying to leave it to the pros.....think we will be at the pool bar if we have to wait for cabin to be ready. I am sure we can all find each other eventually.

Elaine

Oh Dear been very busy here in the uk, just caught up with this thread.

Need this cruise A/C problems ?? hope we set sail.

We arrive in Barbados at 15.45 so will hopefully be on time after a long flight to catch the Cloud & a relaxing 16 days.

Reading this thread do feel sorry for the crew.

Counting the days down now.

Rhona.

Archived