Why prepay shore exc and specialty dining on Celebrity?

YoPhilly

We booked our first cruise with Celebrity and I'm curious about their policy of pre-paying shore excursions and specialty dining reservations before the cruise. On Princess, those costs were added to our shipboard account, payable at the end of the cruise.

Do any of you know the rationale for Celebrity's policy?

We booked our first cruise with Celebrity and I'm curious about their policy of pre-paying shore excursions and specialty dining reservations before the cruise. On Princess, those costs were added to our shipboard account, payable at the end of the cruise.

If you want to make sure you get the excursions you want, and the dates and times in the specialty restaurant....you will have to prepay . Otherwise, wait till you get on the ship and see if what you want is still available. Some people like to have their whole trip planned out, and others are willing to "go with the flow" .

If you are going on the cruise with a large amount of OBC, it is better to wait till you get on the ship, and try to make your reservations asap there. Good luck in your planning!

Prepaid gratuities are only charged beforehand if you have opted for Select Dining. If you take Tranditional Dining, either early or late seating, you have the option of pre-paying gratuities, or waiting for them to be added daily to your shipboard account.

For Specialty Dining, if you book on line prior to the cruise you will pay the upcharge amount at the time of booking. If you want to book ahead, but not pay at that time, you can call Celebrity and book a Specialty Dining reservation, and explain that you want it added to your shipboard account when you dine. This is what we always do. Otherwise, you can wait until you are on board to book, in which case it will automatically be charged to your shipboard account.

We have friends who always prepay as much as they can so they don't have a big shipboard account bill at the end of the cruise; we'd rather have the cashflow.

To answer your question, I have no idea WHY they do it. They say they need to charge the tips for specialty dining in advance to the right people can be paid, to be that's just a line as other cruise lines seem to manage just fine without precharging you. I much prefer Princess's way of doing it. Love the fact that you don't have to pay for shore excursions until you board.

The rationale is quite simple; the faster Celebrity obtains your money, the faster they are able to put it to use in terms of paying down debt, hedging fuel etc. So long as people are willing to prepay for these, it is wise for a cruise line to charge in advance.

We are also at a loss, it seems like a lot more work for everyone if you cancel a tour or a spa treatment, you have to be issued a credit on your credit card. They even add the tip beforehand to the spa treatments. There is no win win for us the consumers no matter what some people on this board will say in defense of the cruise line. I too like the Princess way of just pre reserving and then giving you until 2 days before that port to cancel. I don't like that Celebrity is holding your money all of this time, and the gratuity prepayment for Select dining is just plain ridiculous. We are adults and hopefully sophisticated enough cruisers to know that one tips the servers and cabin attendants. Because of this pre payment policy I have booked no tours with Celebrity and also no spa treatments or specialty dining, I just object to this. You know there will be some cruisers who will defend whatever policy the cruise company has, it is usually the same ones who are most vocal. :rolleyes:

For some comments in relation to your statement "we are adults ......" see the thread about tipping with several comments from British cruisers who are mystified by the procedure, some of whom (not all) see no reason to tip. Just another point of view....

For some comments in relation to your statement "we are adults ......" see the thread about tipping with several comments from British cruisers who are mystified by the procedure, some of whom (not all) see no reason to tip. Just another point of view....

And that explains why it only pertains to Select Dining and not Traditional how?

I agree with the OP. The Carnival cruise lines allow you to book shore excursions and specialty restaurants (and even spa treatments) and do not charge you until you are onboard. This allows you to get the best of both worlds: book in advance, yet use OBC to pay for these things.

As far as the RCI cruise lines charging you up front, IMHO it's just greed. First, they get the money early, second, they prevent you from being able to use your OBC so easily. This may encourage more onboard spending as you try to 'use up' your OBC. So I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it's financial. I just hope the Carnival lines do not start following this practice!

Of course it's financial, but as previous posters have noted, it is a way that cruisers can lock in ahead of time what choices they are interested in. How many people have been interested in an excursion only to stand in a long line at the desk and find out it's been sold out. By requiring pre-payment, people can book the excursions they want and know that they are getting them, or have plenty of time to make an alternate choice, and the cruise line has a commitment from the cruiser that they will probably keep that reservation == without pre-payment, you could reserve an excursion "just in case" and then cancel it, leaving someone who really wants it frozen out.

And has been pointed out, in the case of the specialty restaurants, you can just call in while making the reservation and tell the agent that you want to wait until you are onboard to use OBC to pay for it and you can. So that's not a problem.

Some passengers LIKE to have all (or nearly all) of their expenses paid for prior to the trip -- all gratuities, drinks packages, excursions and so forth and come home with no bills to pay. If you are a passenger with no OBC, and there are many of them out there, having all the decisions and costs accounted for ahead of the cruise may be preferable to having large bills follow you home

There is no win win for us the consumers no matter what some people on this board will say in defense of the cruise line.

Nobody on this thread is defending the cruise line. It is not meant to be a "win" for the consumer. It benefits a business to have money as far in advance as possible; that is smart and basic economics for a company to obtain payment in advance. Again, so long as people are willing to pay for excursions, spa treatments, shore excursions etc. in advance, any smart cruise line will happily take their money several months ahead of time. The cruise line is able to put that money to use and pay off debt, hedge fuel etc. faster than if they take payment at time the service is rendered (and therefore saving money). Smart business practice, but definitely a negative for consumers.

It is smart not to book spa treatments in advance as the spa is almost never sold out and 99% of the time they start offering deep discounts partway into the cruise. On Celebrity it is wise to book specialty restaurant reservations in advance as they excel in this area and often the specialty restaurants prime dinner times sell out prior to sailing (and sometimes some venues completely sell out). Shore excursions is a crapshoot, most of the time they do not sell out in advance of sailing, but occasionally some do.

And that explains why it only pertains to Select Dining and not Traditional how?

I have tried to get direct answer to this for months. All I've ever gotten is an explanation as to the hows, preferences, that they want to ensure no-one gets stiffed--like select diners are more likely to do that than traditional diners! I have never gotten a simple, satisfactory answer. Good luck

I agree with the OP. The Carnival cruise lines allow you to book shore excursions and specialty restaurants (and even spa treatments) and do not charge you until you are onboard. This allows you to get the best of both worlds: book in advance, yet use OBC to pay for these things.

As far as the RCI cruise lines charging you up front, IMHO it's just greed. First, they get the money early, second, they prevent you from being able to use your OBC so easily. This may encourage more onboard spending as you try to 'use up' your OBC. So I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it's financial. I just hope the Carnival lines do not start following this practice!

We cruised twice (2 x b2b) with Carnival (Glory) and booked exursions in advance and were charged for this immediately after booking. Only when booking a speciality restaraunt we were charged after the meal like in any other restaurant. So it seems there is a difference between Carnival and Princess/Carnival.

Nobody on this thread is defending the cruise line. It is not meant to be a "win" for the consumer. It benefits a business to have money as far in advance as possible; that is smart and basic economics for a company to obtain payment in advance. Again, so long as people are willing to pay for excursions, spa treatments, shore excursions etc. in advance, any smart cruise line will happily take their money several months ahead of time. The cruise line is able to put that money to use and pay off debt, hedge fuel etc. faster than if they take payment at time the service is rendered (and therefore saving money). Smart business practice, but definitely a negative for consumers.

It is smart not to book spa treatments in advance as the spa is almost never sold out and 99% of the time they start offering deep discounts partway into the cruise. On Celebrity it is wise to book specialty restaurant reservations in advance as they excel in this area and often the specialty restaurants prime dinner times sell out prior to sailing (and sometimes some venues completely sell out). Shore excursions is a crapshoot, most of the time they do not sell out in advance of sailing, but occasionally some do.

Actually, it has been our experience that the "specials" at the spas are usually for non popular hours such as during the day while in port or during dinner hours. Shore excursions to popular places such as beaches do sell out ahead of time, and specialty restaurants are usually half empty, and on a 12 night cruise if you do not get in one night at a specific time, there is certainly room on another evening. I have usually booked our at sea days spa treatments ahead of time, but you cannot here because they will only offer one treatment at say, 8 AM or at 5 PM online, check it out. I have even called their office and they do not have an answer as to why they release so few appointments ahead of time, they agreed that it makes little sense. That is not "smart" business sense, neither is it to change order of ports a month before a cruise and not notify either TAs or cruisers by a simple email. A lot of us have now had to contact the tour companies to reschedule tours. A sharp eyed member of our roll call caught that change, that is not "smart" business sense either, it is poor customer service. When called their answer was they don't notify about small changes, well this small change affected 3 ports. It leaves customers and TAs with an uneasy feeling about front end business operations, not "smart". ;)

We really don't want to go there about tipping customs around the world, suffice to say they re not the same everywhere. My philosophy has always been to follow the local customs. It is easy to read up on it. While in places like Australia, and New Zealand I hardly tip because it is not expected, my local friends vocally frown upon it, but I do feel guilty never the less. In Europe I look to see if service is included, if the service is exceptional then I may add a little. What I don't like is to be made to feel guilty by the waiter, by their looking pathetic when asked if it is pris compris and their responding, "oui madame, but it is only the bare minimum." I recall telling one after being ignored for most of the meal, "and the bare minimum is what you shall get."

On a private tour last summer to Kusadai, the CC organizer was from New Zealand and he gave the gathered group a little speech as to how in his country they don't tip. Some of us felt that was fine for him, but we did tip the tour guide regardless, and would have rather he skipped the speech and followed his customs quietly.

We cruised twice (2 x b2b) with Carnival (Glory) and booked exursions in advance and were charged for this immediately after booking. Only when booking a speciality restaraunt we were charged after the meal like in any other restaurant. So it seems there is a difference between Carnival and Princess/Carnival.

That is interesting. I have not cruised Carnival, so I was unaware of this. Thank you for passing on the information. However Princess, HAL and Cunard, IME, do not charge for these things ahead of time.

Actually, it has been our experience that the "specials" at the spas are usually for non popular hours such as during the day while in port or during dinner hours. ;)

Also, I like to get my nails done (mani/pedi) on the first formal night (which is usually a sea day). I can tell you that every cruise I've ever been on, those nail hours (after lunch but before dinner) fill up fast! Same with the hair salon.

Actually, it has been our experience that the "specials" at the spas are usually for non popular hours such as during the day while in port or during dinner hours. Shore excursions to popular places such as beaches do sell out ahead of time, and specialty restaurants are usually half empty, and on a 12 night cruise if you do not get in one night at a specific time, there is certainly room on another evening. I have usually booked our at sea days spa treatments ahead of time, but you cannot here because they will only offer one treatment at say, 8 AM or at 5 PM online, check it out.

On every single cruise I have taken the spa never was even close to being booked solid. They offered at least $50 off (and often 50% off or two-for-one treatments) and this included on sea days. Their model is to start with highly inflated prices, try to entice some people to overpay, and by mid cruise start deeply discounting to try and fill the myriad of open appointment slots.

I am not sure how often you have sailed with Celebrity, but on my last two cruises if you did not book specialty dining in advance, the only times left when you boarded (even within half hour of boarding) were very early or very late dining times. Within a couple of days Murano was totally sold out.

I have tried to get direct answer to this for months. All I've ever gotten is an explanation as to the hows, preferences, that they want to ensure no-one gets stiffed--like select diners are more likely to do that than traditional diners! I have never gotten a simple, satisfactory answer. Good luck

Since none of us are Celebrity executives/managers, not sure what you are expecting as a 'satisfactory' answer on this forum. None of us have a good explanation because if you don't agree with a policy or a policy is not consistent, any explanation won't be 'satisfactory'. What would you expect to be a satisfactory answer? Please let us know. I have no real idea except guesses, and I doubt anyone will come up with one that you find OK.

My best guess, stressing the word 'guess', is, Celebrity set up the process for gratuities much as most other Lines do with daily charges to your onboard account. When they added Select Dining as an option recently, they decided this could be a nice little cashflow for them ahead of time and they instituted the prepaid process for it. Just as Gonzo70 says, it gives them cash upfront which is nice for any company, and not that 'nice' for the customer.

As to prepaid excursions, the only other explanation/guess beyond Gonzo70's, and stated before, is this will reduce the number of 'lets reserve an excursion and then see if we get a better private one or just not go', limiting the access of those that actually want to do it. Also, when Celebrity passes the numbers to the tour companies, there is probably a better bet that is a good number. But Again......an assumption/guess.

I don't run the company, and personally, I don't really get wrapped up in caring that much. If I want that service prior to getting on board or want Select Dining, I'll suffer the consequenses of prepaying. We are talking about vacations and cruising, so I don't spend months worrying or getting bent about some company tieing up my money. Just me, I guess.

Den

My best guess, stressing the word 'guess', is, Celebrity set up the process for gratuities much as most other Lines do with daily charges to your onboard account. When they added Select Dining as an option recently, they decided this could be a nice little cashflow for them ahead of time and they instituted the prepaid process for it. Just as Gonzo70 says, it gives them cash upfront which is nice for any company, and not that 'nice' for the customer.

Den

The charges are calculated per day, but gratuities for the MDR are only distributed on the last day. This gives a problem for select dining, as you may have different waiters every day. By prepaying, the waiters doing select divide the tips between them and the client does not have to worry about leaving a tip every evening.

On every single cruise I have taken the spa never was even close to being booked solid. They offered at least $50 off (and often 50% off or two-for-one treatments) and this included on sea days. Their model is to start with highly inflated prices

I totally agree with you on this. I've cruised with Princess, Oceania, HAL, and Carnival, but the published cost of a massage on Celebrity is absurd.

I like the way Celebrity charges ahead of time. We don't get that much onboard credit, it will cover tips or less. When we walk off the ship, I won't feel quite so broke. We tend to go all out and spend more than we can afford on the cruise. This way we've been paying ahead. It works for me. I'm sure it isn't the best for everyone. And for people who use their money to make money, I guess it isn't such a good plan.

I wish everyone would just accept what is, though, and quit gnawing it to death. But then, I'm reading the messages, when I could pick and choose a little better. Let's see - I like tipping (even though it is an added expense); I like dressing up for formal nights; I take ship shore excursions or private ones depending on finances, options, and whim; just saying.

Beth

horrified to hear of an American couple 'brag' about going to guest services at the end of a cruise to remove ALL the of daily tip... guess that 'showed them', that staff who worked their butts off for you :(

Archived