Princess Cruisers with Dietary Concerns

ssbeagle

I have seen some threads where people are curious about cruising with dietary concerns or restrictions. If you have any questions, here is the person at Princess to contact.

Kelly Ashley *special diets/Place order for distilled water/baby food

kashley@princesscruises.com

This is something new they started because there have been a lot of passengers lately who have these types of problems on the ship. She can help you out.

We just got off the Coral Princess on Saturday and were fortunate enough to have done the Ultimate Ship Tour on Friday. One of the most interesting areas we toured was the Galley - which really consists of many galleys, coolers and freezers. The manager explained how the ship already uses unsalted butter and very little salt in preparation of food. She said that anyone requesting a unique diet or special requests should fax their requests to Princess (or have their T.A. fax the request) at least a month prior to their cruise if possible.

They even have an area that they prepare/cook Kosher foods as well. The manager told us of how one lady passenger was allergic to seaweed and how almost EVERYTHING has seaweed in it. Wow, I had no idea. She explained to us how difficult it was to prepare the woman's food, but they did so according to her request (not sure if she needed any type of doctor's orders or not).

So, just get your requests in with enough time for the ship to stock/prepare your special needs. :)

For any special dietary needs seek out the Head Waiter for your area. It is he, not the Maitre'd, who interacts with the galley for special food preparation.

The Maitre'd is the senior manager/admistrator for all food service aboard the ship. The Head Waiters in each dining room serve as the intermediary between the passengers and the galley.

Still trying to get my head around seaweed in every food. Is that just what's on the ship? And how does seaweed get into the food?

I'm with ya! Weird, eh? From what I understood from the Galley Manager (or whatever her title was), seaweed is in most foods made in this world! I really had no idea and most of us on the tour were quite surprised! I thought that I would NOT like seaweed, but I guess I didn't even know that I had been eating it most of my life! :D

I just email yesterday to check about my DH who needs a gluten free diet.

We're on the Ocean Princess and he wants to maximise the places he can eat. He usually avoids buffets due to cross contamination, but he's been wondering if he can eat at Sabatinis & Sterling as well as room service.

I know for HAL you tick what gluten free items you want and it is a pretty good range and I was checking what would be available on Princess.

BTW For anyone going to Norway, Peppe's pizza which is a large chain there does good gluten free stuff.:)

Carrageenan is a common food additive that comes from red seaweed also known as Irish Moss or Chondrus Crispus. Carrageen has long been used as a thickener and emulsifier in ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese and other processed food products.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA44833

Thanks for the info and the link. My Dad always says that "you might learn something everyday if you're not careful"!

For any special dietary needs seek out the Head Waiter for your area. It is he, not the Maitre'd, who interacts with the galley for special food preparation.

The Maitre'd is the senior manager/admistrator for all food service aboard the ship. The Head Waiters in each dining room serve as the intermediary between the passengers and the galley.

The first person to talk to on board is the Maitre D' who will then notify the table captain. I have seen both of them assist a passenger on one of our cruises. Each night they discussed the next evening's menu with her. It was one or the other and sometimes both who would be talking with her. But it's a good idea to give the ship a head's up about dietary problems/concerns and that's why that link was posted.

Carrageenan is a common food additive that comes from red seaweed also known as Irish Moss or Chondrus Crispus. Carrageen has long been used as a thickener and emulsifier in ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese and other processed food products.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA44833

Well, that's something to remember.

I do know I'm allergic to shellfish. Today was the dress rehearsal for this week's drama performances at my daughter's school, and I was one of the parents helping (keeping the kids in the wings quiet; others were still making costumes). One of the teachers had ordered in lunch for those helping, but when I checked out the food I decided I better not have any as there was probably shrimp. Even the rice, I didn't want to risk just in case someone had used the same utensil to serve themselves.

I am a medically diagnosed Coeliac (Celiac) and thus require gluten free food. You will generally only get assistance re gluten free menu at your evening regular TD dinner table in MDR. At other meals in the MDR and in the buffet you are on your own but you can ask for some assistance from the Buffet Supervisor or Head Waiter in MDR.

MOST IMPORTANT: you need to fax a request to Princess Customer Services, well in advance of your cruise re your special dietary requirements.

Just ticking the special requests on your booking details on Personaliser is not good enough. Remember if in doubt - don't eat it. Even the bacon/sausages and hash browns are likely to contain gluten.

Here is the reply from Princess. I was surprised but please to read that Sabatinis and the Streling steakhouse can cater for gluten free diets. It was also good to have the details of what they have ordered and to know that I can bring stuff with me. I tend to do that so that I have something with me for longer shore excursions where the snack/lunch that is provided isn't suitable. Good news on the beer but not sure what the costs are and DH is unlikely to drink the full crate on a cold weather cruise!

I have noted your record and have ordered gluten-free products for you. We do not designate gluten-free meals on our menu, although the Maitre d’ Hotel will be happy to assist you with selections that would be suitable for your diet. We can also prepare meals using non-gluten binding agents for you, as well as gluten-free desserts and pizza crust.

The gluten-free products we are able to and have ordered consist of: gluten-free bread, cereal, sweet cookies, crackers, flour, macaroni, and spaghetti. The waiter will go over each night’s menu, for the following night. This allows us to prepare your meals in accordance to your diet. Please be advised we can only accommodate your dietary needs in the main dining rooms and our alternative restaurants (Sabatini’s, Steakhouse, etc.). The Personal choice dining room is considered a main dining room, as well. We are unable to prevent cross contamination at the buffet and therefore strongly suggest that you dine only in the main dining rooms and alternative dining restaurants.

Any food/drink items you wish to bring onboard must be non-perishable, store bought and sealed in their original containers and packaging upon boarding. No meats, homemade food or restaurant food will be allowed and although we may allow certain items onboard, Immigration Agents override any approvals we may give. Please note that all items must be stored in your cabin and we cannot assign crew members to assist with the preparation.

Gluten-free beer and gluten-free vodka are available for purchase by pre-order only and may only be consumed while onboard ship. The bottles cannot be taken off the vessel in any port. We offer Redbridge gluten-free beer by the case only (24 bottles) and LiV vodka. Please advise if you would like to pre-order as we require 21 days advance notice to fulfill beer orders and 30 days advance notice for vodka orders. Product branding is subject to change as per market availability.

Please contact the Maitre d’ Hotel once onboard the ship to discuss your dietary restrictions and any special meal preparations, you may have.

Soraya, thanks for that, the Gluten Free beer sounds the go, I suppose they will deliver the carton to your cabin. Might check out the on board price, no doubt it will be $120 a carton, ugh! In OZ we pay $75 for a 24 pack of O'Briens Lager, a bit pricey, I don't bother. Might be cheaper to stick wih the byo vino or apple cider from the bar!

I've got a response from Princess - 24 bottles for $108 delivered to the cabin.

This isn't bad for the UK where the Hambletons is about the same price. It has made my DH's day.

My DH is OK with the wine but not a big cider fan -( for those from the US, cider in the UK is pretty much always alcoholic!)

• 2 months later...

We sailed on 3rd June on The Crown Princess, we had a letter from Princess Cruises, confirming my wife's need of a strict Gluten-Free Diet. We took it to the Maitre d as advised, he had not been advised of anything at all, he never told us to contact the Head Waiter, which eventually we did, there was no gluten free food available on board, no sandwiches, no cakes, no scones, nothing at all, it was horrifying and my wife felt ashamed of herself. Then at dinner that night we waited 30 minutes with nothing at all. I got up and walked around until I found the Manager, he was inundated with Passengers trying to change tables, so I continued and eventually came across the Head Waiter, it started to improve. He managed to get some awful GF Bread toasted, it was better than nothing, he discussed with my wife what she would like, then went off to see the Chef, to find out iif it was GF, what a performance, we had been sitting now for nearly 1 hour, then toast arrived and my wife had a normal meal. The Head Waiter stayed with us for every meal. But breakfast and afternoon tea could not be taken outside our Cabin. The Room Service Manager came and spoke with us for 15 minutes, he wrote down my wife's eating requirements and from then on she had GF breakfasts and GF Sfternoon Teas, with scones and cakes, this was on the third day.

Then on the evening of our Anniversary the waiters came around our table, sang a song and presented a small chocolate cake, with 1 lit candle, then they took it away as it wasn't gluten free, my wife cried. At our first stop we went ashore and purchased a lovely fresh loaf called Genius, for a few days my wife had lovely fresh bread. On our last stop in Dublin, we had lunch at a gluten free Fish & Chip Shop, lovely food, why couldn't the ship organise more GF Meals?, because nobody told them to do so!. So we ended our cruise and found we were being charged $12 x 2 each day, so $240 for the pleasure of having GF food in our cabin, since then Princess Cruises have refunded us the £180, but it did leave a sour taste, so to say. And since then the Customer Relations, have offered us a refund of £300, but it doesn't really make up for what should have been a fabulous cruise. No we will not be cruising with Princess Cruises again, until they amend their menus, they offer Vegetarian meals, which is not a disease, so why not GF Meals, come on Princess Cruises get up to date, between 3 and 5 million people suffer from Gluten, so get your chefs re-trained in modern gluten free food.

See our web site www.glutenfree-crawley.org.uk

I've often wondered why Princess doesn't have a place under the Dietary Special Requests part of the Cruise Personalizer for Food Allergies. They have Lactose Intolerent & Gluten-free, but no place for allergies to seafood, or in my case Mangoes of all things. It could just be a fill in your own entry. In my case, the mango whatever is usually an add-on to whatever is being served so it's easy to just have it left off. Plus my reaction is just a very itchy rash, but for people with peanut & seafood allergies, it can be life threatening. I would think that Princess would want to know about any food allergies ahead of time.

We sailed on 3rd June on The Crown Princess, we had a letter from Princess Cruises, confirming my wife's need of a strict Gluten-Free Diet. We took it to the Maitre d as advised, he had not been advised of anything at all, he never told us to contact the Head Waiter, which eventually we did, there was no gluten free food available on board, no sandwiches, no cakes, no scones, nothing at all, it was horrifying and my wife felt ashamed of herself. Then at dinner that night we waited 30 minutes with nothing at all. I got up and walked around until I found the Manager, he was inundated with Passengers trying to change tables, so I continued and eventually came across the Head Waiter, it started to improve. He managed to get some awful GF Bread toasted, it was better than nothing, he discussed with my wife what she would like, then went off to see the Chef, to find out iif it was GF, what a performance, we had been sitting now for nearly 1 hour, then toast arrived and my wife had a normal meal. The Head Waiter stayed with us for every meal. But breakfast and afternoon tea could not be taken outside our Cabin. The Room Service Manager came and spoke with us for 15 minutes, he wrote down my wife's eating requirements and from then on she had GF breakfasts and GF Sfternoon Teas, with scones and cakes, this was on the third day.

Then on the evening of our Anniversary the waiters came around our table, sang a song and presented a small chocolate cake, with 1 lit candle, then they took it away as it wasn't gluten free, my wife cried. At our first stop we went ashore and purchased a lovely fresh loaf called Genius, for a few days my wife had lovely fresh bread. On our last stop in Dublin, we had lunch at a gluten free Fish & Chip Shop, lovely food, why couldn't the ship organise more GF Meals?, because nobody told them to do so!. So we ended our cruise and found we were being charged $12 x 2 each day, so $240 for the pleasure of having GF food in our cabin, since then Princess Cruises have refunded us the £180, but it did leave a sour taste, so to say. And since then the Customer Relations, have offered us a refund of £300, but it doesn't really make up for what should have been a fabulous cruise. No we will not be cruising with Princess Cruises again, until they amend their menus, they offer Vegetarian meals, which is not a disease, so why not GF Meals, come on Princess Cruises get up to date, between 3 and 5 million people suffer from Gluten, so get your chefs re-trained in modern gluten free food.

See our web site www.glutenfree-crawley.org.uk

You were charged for gluten free eating???

there was no gluten free food available on board, no sandwiches, no cakes, no scones, nothing at all, it was horrifying [/url]

Well, I'm sorry for the negative impact of Princess' screw-up, but isn't that a bit...over-dramatic? Avoid baked goods, breaded foods, and flour-thickened sauces, and there's still plenty to eat onboard. Shrimp cocktail, melon in port, watercress salad, salmon drenched in butter, fruits and cheeses (less crackers) for dessert...it may be inconveniencing, but "horrifying?" There are plenty of people who would be more than grateful to suffer through a meal like that....

Well, I'm sorry for the negative impact of Princess' screw-up, but isn't that a bit...over-dramatic? Avoid baked goods, breaded foods, and flour-thickened sauces, and there's still plenty to eat onboard. Shrimp cocktail, melon in port, watercress salad, salmon drenched in butter, fruits and cheeses (less crackers) for dessert...it may be inconveniencing, but "horrifying?" There are plenty of people who would be more than grateful to suffer through a meal like that....

I agree. While mine is only an intolerance to gluten (as opposed to having celiac disease) I found it quite easy to chose food while aboard the Emerald in December. I even ate frequently in the buffet (always indulged in the peanut butter cookies, yummy, which are gluten free). I found that when I asked the Princess staff were all too happy to accommodate my requests and let me know what foods contained gluten.

The staff on Island Princess was very accommodating of my Brother-in-law's and his wife's vegetarian and gluten-free dietary restrictions in July. They confirmed the next day's dinner with the Assistant MD each night and were provided with wonderful dishes each night - we wished WE had ordered the same. They had the most amazing curry one night... and this was in the Bordeaux/Anytime dining room, where they had a different table each night. The Island Princess staff really tried hard to provide them with appetizing food, and we were pretty impressed with the quality and the effort the galley and DR staff put into making them feel like it wasn't a big deal. So in many respects, it probably depends on which ship you get. To a certain extent, they're like different subsidiaries of the same corporation - some of them seem to be better run than others.

I am a Coeliac (Celiac) and have never been charged on board for GF Food. I find that story strange.

I wonder if the poster notifed the cruise line in advance, or maybe just a communication breakdown.

One of our tablemates on the Sun Princess ate a gluten free diet. She always got the next night's menu the night before. She had to decide what she wanted to eat 22 hours in advance. She also would get a menu if she knew she was going to eat in the dining room for lunch the next day. The head waiter was very accommodating of her requests, letting her know which dishes could be done and which ones could not.

Her husband, by the way, ate fettuccini alfredo every night. He never got pasta at home.

I am a Coeliac (Celiac) and have never been charged on board for GF Food. I find that story strange.

Well, yeah. I was being too polite to say it right out, but it was only the poster's 2nd post, and - after a heartrending story of "nothing to eat" and tears on the birthday cake - contained a link to his own website. Not to sound suspicious, but...hmmmm....

The person who posted that long diatribe posted it a couple of weeks ago and the thread got deleted. It is word for word the same, and it would appear the only reason for posting it is to advertise their website.

It was pointed out many times that the charge was the autotip, but they never came back to post again or respond to people questions.

I think they will only ever post that same rubbish time and time again as soon as someone mentions gluten free food.

Archived