Idea for HAL's next new ship

modelman

So we have all heard the rumors that HAL's next new class will be larger than the Vistas. As today Carnival announced P&O's (UK) next new ship, I wonder if this new class might not migrate over to HAL. Now she is a big ship, at 141,000gt, but with Celebrity showing big ships and "premium" are not mutually exclusive, I could see it happening

Here is P&O's new design

PO_newbuild_2015.jpg

And my idea of what HAL ship based on the platform might look like.

5787270187_ddd27aed6e_b.jpg

Well we shall see what Carnival / HAL eventually orders, but I thought it would be interesting to take a stab at it.

Interesting. Do we have it on good authority that the next class will be larger than the Vista class?

I guess I was hoping we'd see a brand new generation of R-class sized vessels, but reimagined, of course. Everybody's upsizing. Would love it if HAL would stick around 60,000 or so GRT.

John

Heaven forbid! :eek:

Interesting. Do we have it on good authority that the next class will be larger than the Vista class?

Pretty good ... the two Signatures already are. :)

I don't think HAL could call a ship of that size a "Middle Sized Ship." I do like the R Class ship and always have. I must admit l liked the two Signature Class ships--The Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Heaven forbid! :eek:

Pretty good ... the two Signatures already are. :)

I know, but the Signature class is really just a modified version of the Vista class. Hoping the next all-new class is something completely different... and unique to the industry! Enough with this ship-sharing/cloning among lines!

I don't think HAL could call a ship of that size a "Middle Sized Ship." I do like the R Class ship and always have. I must admit l liked the two Signature Class ships--The Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I definitely liked Eurodam too! Sailed Dec 2009 New Years 2010. Absolutely beautiful. My hope would be that HAL would do something more unique though for its next-generation ships.

So we have all heard the rumors that HAL's next new class will be larger than the Vistas. As today Carnival announced P&O's (UK) next new ship, I wonder if this new class might not migrate over to HAL. Now she is a big ship, at 141,000gt, but with Celebrity showing big ships and "premium" are not mutually exclusive, I could see it happening

Here is P&O's new design

PO_newbuild_2015.jpg

And my idea of what HAL ship based on the platform might look like.

5787270187_ddd27aed6e_b.jpg

Well we shall see what Carnival / HAL eventually orders, but I thought it would be interesting to take a stab at it.

Since it appears you have some pretty awesome photoshopping programs, any chance you could turn the teal "windscreens/railings" more of a dark grey like HAL ships typically have? Any maybe turn the lifeboats a little more orange than yellow?

That would look even more "HAL-ish"

My hope would be that HAL would do something more unique though for its next-generation ships.
Why? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want something different, go someplace else. :p

Since it appears you have some pretty awesome photoshopping programs, any chance you could turn the teal "windscreens/railings" more of a dark grey like HAL ships typically have? Any maybe turn the lifeboats a little more orange than yellow?

That would look even more "HAL-ish"

Second try....

5787496623_cce01d1934_b.jpg

Hello "modelman"

I like your proposal and specially your "second try" but I indeed hope, that HAL will not go that far / heavy.

And I remind me from the talk onboard and during the maiden voyage of the MS Nieuw Amsterdam, HAL CEO Stein Kruse mentioned clearly;

Carnival Corporation does follow its given line for all there different brands – and HAL vessels would always be only mid-sized ones.

And meanwhile he mentioned, that his aim still is to place HAL somewhere between the "R" and the "Vista" classes……

O.K. what does this could mean is open for any speculation, but I really hope, that mid-size will never be more then 100.000 GRT / or 2.200 passengers.

What about a second / third Prinsendam class ??

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

169 days - 39'247 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

14 days MS Ryndam – North Cape Splendors, June 12 ,2011

9b8a15a4519e8fb26c1ad9d9cc11dcb2.png

7 days MS Volendam – Glacier Bay Inside Passage, July 4, 2012

758f480ede504baa471202505061c262.png

14 days MS Amsterdam – Alaskan Adventure, July 13, 2012

218d2f361e602a9bfc04d88f61b51f70.png

Gerd,

This was posted 11 months ago. Assuming they have the quotes correct, I would assume this to be the case:

Here:s the link:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/07/should-holland-america-go-big-with-its-next-cruise-ships-/99086/1

Text for those scared of clicking on links (I know there's a few of you out there):

[/url]

A hallmark of Holland America in recent years has been the smaller size of its ships as compared to its closest rivals. Even the line's largest vessels hold barely 2,000 passengers at double occupancy -- far fewer than the biggest ships of such competitors at Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises.

But that may be about to change, according to reports from Europe, where the line this week unveiled its newest vessel, the 2,106-passenger Nieuw Amsterdam.

Industry watcher Seatrade Insider today quotes Holland America executives as saying the line is considering a new generation of ships that would hold around 3,000 passengers at double occupancy.

The majority of the 15 Holland America ships currently at sea hold from 1,258 to 1,432 passengers at double occupancy.

Holland America executives tell Seatrade Insider a new order for the line isn't imminent, but when it does occur the historic company founded in 1873 could build ships as big as 110,000 gross register tons -- a size that is nearly as big as the latest class of (122,000 ton) Celebrity Cruises vessels and bigger than all but one Norwegian Cruise Line ship.

Holland America CEO Stein Kruse cited the current widening project at the Panama Canal as an impetus for going bigger, as current width restrictions for transiting the canal no longer will apply.

"The question then is how big do you go?" Kruse told Seatrade Insider.

Kruse hinted to Seatrade Insider that going bigger isn't a done deal. Perhaps the most critical issue, the news outlet quoted him as saying, was "is it true to the brand?"

As other lines such as Royal Caribbean have built ever bigger ships in recent years that can carry as many as 5,400 passengers at double occupancy (Royal Caribbean's new Oasis of the seas has a total capacity of nearly 6,300), Holland America has carved out a successful niche catering to cruisers who want a more intimate "mid-size" ship experience.

With the arrival of Nieuw Amsterdam, Holland America currently has no new ships on order -- a rare situation for the line.

Has steel been cut for a new HAL ship?

Some speculate there is a 'not yet announced' new ship that is more than just imagination. :D

Good job, Modelman. Let's see some more blue hull though. :)

Has steel been cut for a new HAL ship?

Some speculate there is a 'not yet announced' new ship that is more than just imagination. :D

Good job, Modelman. Let's see some more blue hull though. :)

I know it won't happen but I would far prefer to see another S & R or Prinsendam built. Let's face it - they do command higher prices (most times). A new one without AC problems or leaks could command decent prices.

I don't know if I want to sail on another Nieuw amsterdam (apologies to the fans - we had our own issues). I far prefer the older ships or even the Zuiderdam if I must go larger. A huge HAL ship would send me shopping JMO:)

I would be disappointed to see HAL go to bigger ships. We loved the size of Veendam, and are looking forward to sailng on Maasdam this fall. Even Zuiderdam was not too big. But I've sailed on 3000-pax ships, and that's just too big for my taste.

Here is what the captain of the Veendam told us on a recent 28-day cruise from Rio to FLL: HAL is getting closer to announcing new builds. They will be larger than the existing classes.

I believe that will be the case for the following reason: Carnival Company needs to have a fleet that it can recycle. So far that recycling has meant intracompany transfers of old ships from U.S. brands to European brands. In the future, those transfers may also increasingly involve various Pacific rim Carnival Company operators, existing or yet-to-come. The headquarters seems to be convinced that bigness creates economies. As long as that is their belief, they will keep building bigger ships.

Many HAL veteran cruisers may not want this. But HAL has to balance their loyalty -- which, considering the typical repeat passenger characteristics, won't last for ever -- with the increasingly high expectations of the competitive market place.

There is also another possibility, of course, but not very likely. That HAL would be separated into two divisions: One developing a new HAL product with bigger ships and new entertainment concepts and some of the smaller ones deployed for a different, perhaps more traditional, niche.

Let's face it, what has been regarded on this board as the classic cruise experience is on its way out. Count the tuxes. Count the empty tables in the MDR in early and late dining.

I personally don't care, as long as destinations are varied and plentiful, cater to the needs of short- and long cruisers, and the price is right.

We are currently booked on a 30-day B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October from Venice first to Turkey and then across the Atlantic. In March, 2012, we are booked on another long voyage -- from NZ to Oz, Pacific Islands, Hawaii to Vancouver.

We also have a third cruise booked: a B2B in November 2012 from Shanghai to Singapore plus two legs of Malaysia/Thailand. This cruise begins with an overnight in Shanghai. We have been to Beijing but never to Shanghai, rich in architecture and history. We then proceed to Taiwan, Vietnam (overnight) plus Saigon and Hong Kong (overnight), ending in Singapore (overnight). HAL doesn't produce this exciting itinerary, though, but Costa. We don't mind. We are happy someone does (and that as a HAL stock holder I can get nice OBCs.

One final thought: Every North American brand building new ships now will design them for Cuba. I'll celebrate my 70th in 2013 (August) and I know that by then I can sail from Florida to Cuba (and perhaps even from New York). Since ships are floating hotels, this is what Cuba's government prefers because the country's hotel infrastructure simply cannot handle the coming American invasion.

So my 70th will be celebrated in Havana. La vida o muerte!

barante - all i know is that i'm totally jealous of your 2 cruises lined up! I wish I had that kind of time to sail the world!! :) Someday.....

Here's hoping I win powerball tonight! I'd book a bunch of cruises pronto!

Archived