All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

it comes and goes.....i have read recently (within the last few months..) that this has been happening again ......some people buy a car cover....the drydock DOES cover the cost of repairs.....only you can decide if you want to take the chance....i would say it is less than 50/50 that something would happen....but you never know when they are painting and which way the wind blows.....

i have a new car and will NOT be parking at the pier...(actually i never have parked at the pier for a cruise..)

For that reason exactly we will be dropped off at NJ lol

I have a new car too and I'd go ballistic if I came back and it was spray painted red.(or any other color than what it is)

didn't have any spray problem when we parked at the pier in March. I have only seen one post about spray on the boards and I thought it was a much older post for some reason where someone was researching the parking and came across the issues. the parking area is also different now too. Maybe someday we will get to walk to the ship instead of the minute or so ride...lol

enjoy the cruises!!!

Thank you for your help. I'm mostly convinced now that I don't need a soda package. I can live on iced tea, water, and lemonade for 5 nights. If I find myself dying for soda I will fork over the $2.25 or whatever and just deal with it.

Good to know. We will probably only have to fill it up twice so it won't be a big production every day.

The Promenade Cafe is open 24 hrs. and can provide you with tea bags so you can make hot or cold tea along with Seattle's Best coffee (no extra charge). Ice and water are available there as well. There are little snack sized sandwiches along with cookies, fruit, some pastries and small sized pizza (cheese or saugage). Depending on what deck you are on, it may be closer.

MARAPRINCE

We parked there last week and had no problem with spray. This was our 3rd cruise out of Bayonne and never had spray problems.

Not to be picky, but I mention it because I was surprised...there was no ice available in the Promenade cafe, unless maybe you ask for it? There were two dispensers of ice water, but only the water came out of the dispenser, no ice. In the Windjammer you could get ice.

So..I don't know if I could even do this, because I booked with the WOW Sale, but, I'm considereing dropping down to an E1 from E2 cat. to save $100. (really it'll end up being $80. because of the TA OBC will be reduced $20) Our cabin now is on deck 7 aft.,back of the ship. The E1 that are available are just normal balconys. It is a considerable amt. of money. Would you do it?

So..I don't know if I could even do this, because I booked with the WOW Sale, but, I'm considereing dropping down to an E1 from E2 cat. to save $100. (really it'll end up being $80. because of the TA OBC will be reduced $20) Our cabin now is on deck 7 aft.,back of the ship. The E1 that are available are just normal balconys. It is a considerable amt. of money. Would you do it?

Is this the same trip you posted about earlier ($2800 for the two of you)? If so, $80 is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things...especially if you have 7688, 7690, 7390 or 7388. Those are very sought after cabins and I wouldn't give them up to save $80 - JMHO YMMV

Cruising on the 5day to Bermuda...can anyone tell me how early the boot docks back in Jersey after the cruise and what is the ealiest u can get off...thanks for the info

Just off the EOS. We docked about 8 am. We did express walk-off. We were in the first group of letters (A-F). They started calling that group about 8:30 and we were off the ship and in our car by about 8:45.

Is this the same trip you posted about earlier ($2800 for the two of you)? If so, $80 is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things...especially if you have 7688, 7690, 7390 or 7388. Those are very sought after cabins and I wouldn't give them up to save $80 - JMHO YMMV

Yes, it is the same trip. We used to always look for the aft cabins years ago when the prices were about the same as a regular balcony. We quit trying to snag one of them when the rates started rising. When we got this one, 7690, someone must of just cancelled or moved. We wouldn't have paid $100. more to get it at the time of booking.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Just off the EOS. We docked about 8 am. We did express walk-off. We were in the first group of letters (A-F). They started calling that group about 8:30 and we were off the ship and in our car by about 8:45.

Thanks that is helpful...I should be able to catch the 10:30am flight to ATL

Thanks that is helpful...I should be able to catch the 10:30am flight to ATL

Be sure to do express walk-off. You will have to get a ticket the day before you dock. The ticket gives you the letter for the group you will be in. Get the ticket as soon as they start giving them out. I don't know how far the airport is, but 10:30 seems to be cutting it a little close.

So where DO you park if you don't park at the Cruise Terminal?

Thanks

Mary Ann

Explorer of the Seas 9/1/11

Yes, good question. I'm still waiting to hear if there is some alternative to the ridiculous $19/day parking fee which adds up to $171 for a nine night cruise.

Be sure to do express walk-off. You will have to get a ticket the day before you dock. The ticket gives you the letter for the group you will be in. Get the ticket as soon as they start giving them out. I don't know how far the airport is, but 10:30 seems to be cutting it a little close.

I agree 10:30 is definately cutting it close...remember even after you get off the ship you still need to get to the airport and checked in over there...

Yes, good question. I'm still waiting to hear if there is some alternative to the ridiculous $19/day parking fee which adds up to $171 for a nine night cruise.

As far as I know there really isn't an alternative. We have sailed Explorer twice and both times I tried to research parking elsewhere but they seem to have it priced so that even if you tried to use a Park & Ride near the airport, the Taxi to port would make it just as expensive as parking at the port and a lot less convenient. I have heard some people who have stayed overnight the night before the cruise in one of the hotels in the area that will allow you to keep your car there but idk if they charge for a shuttle or how much the overnight stay would cost. We are sailing again in March so if anyone does find an alternative I would definately be interested as well.

come over to the East Coast departures board...there really isn't an option but some will book park n fly rates, and then get a cab/car service.....

19 bucks a day may seem high, but well, NYC is worse!!! :eek::p

welcome to our NJ nightmare!! lol

After reading about the expensive parking and potential paint spray issues at the pier, I am quite happy that we managed to convince my brother in law to drive us and then pick us up. I imagine that there is a drop off lane, right? I'm a good passenger when it comes to being dumped at the curb with my luggage...I can evacuate a vehicle quickly without holding up traffic. :cool: