All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

... I won't need the ship's wireless internet service to get my data directly to my phone using Global Data plan?

Correct, as already noted by setsail and snowgreg - pretty sure that MTN (sometimes refer to by other cruise lines as Celluar@Sea - partnering with AT&T) is providing the backbones & infrastructure behind the scene to make it all happen - they are also the IT resources behind DialaShip access - just a phone call & credit card # away from reaching most cruiseships anywhere around the world.

http://www.mtnsat.com/mtn-product-solutions/cruise-solutions

Data usage pattern varied significantly by users and by phone models - but you know your devices & how much data it's been using each month - yielding a "guest-a-mate" of how much prepaid Global Data you will likely need without being cut-off, billed extra or bounced to pay-as-you-go, etc.

We used 2 unlocked & rooted androids, HTC Incredible 2's that operate in CDMA 3G or GSM 2.5G networks, mine with the grandfathered unlimited data plan while DW has the 300MB/mo. data plan special - I averaged 300 to 600 MB data per month but she used under 50 MB/mo., due to various running & background apps & enabled settings. Limiting the size of the email & attachments downloaded plus forwarding/filtering options do help in managing the data; and, turning off always-on features like Clock & Weather do cut down on the phone's background apps in waking up (GPS features for location-based services ...) Without VZW's bloatware running on the custom rom, 100 MB would be adequate for my use to cover a 7 to 10 day cruise, (not used for YouTube nor streaming MP3's or much MMS at all.)

Spending an extra $25 for 100MB Global Data is probably worthwhile for peace of mind + some extra allowances for SMS usage, saving the roaming voice calls as a last resort. utB, even without it, the costs for up-to-the-minute info or "news" update is sometimes, priceless - if you need it then & there ...

Call VZW on 611 and speak to the Global Support Desk before your departure date, review your account's provisioned status, plans & options chosen, and document/note who you spoke to & what's been added/changed, etc. so that in case of any billing surprises later on, you have info to reference the dispute for a fair resolution.

Our VZW monthly billing this month included extra charges incurred while cruising - came out to less than $1 USD (55 cents for SMS + taxes/fees) and "survived" for 4+ days without broadband internet & email access, walk passed the fees-for-WiFi booth in Bermuda after we docked.

If you aren't 100% familiar with all the features & hidden functions on the smart phone, it's now a good time to get re-acquainted (logged into VZW's account & there are self-directed video tutorial how-to's)

Happy Cruising & delegate what's left behind at the office and at home to someone else on land - to act/intervene/manage in your absence - in true emergencies, you are just a phone call away - using minutes billed to a credit card. Enjoy & cheers !! ;)

Iced tea in MDR on all RCCL ships. Coffee, iced tea and hot tea are what they serve as the beverage with no additional cost.

The iced tea on the trays in the windjammer/cafe promenade is "unsweetend". The lemonade always tasted so good! However I couldn't say the same for the Apple juice and sometimes the orange juice. WAY to watered down, mostly the apple juice

... I couldn't say the same for the Apple juice and sometimes the orange juice. WAY to watered down, mostly the apple juice

+1 It's more like orange or apple flavored water to us, it's' one thing to be made from reconstitued concentrate mix, but to call it juice was ...

At breakfast time in the MDR, we asked for V8 juice, which they served, and it was far better - full strength or at least not too diluted.

For the MDR, one need to ask the server specifically for lemonade or ice tea, or else it will not be offered - only iced water if you declined the bottled ones for extra charge.

I had read that there were different flavored waters served in the Windjammer....I am to assume that this is at a self serve kiosk? And what flavors were available? Thanks. It'll be nice to have an alternative to iced tea.

To those that would know, do the inside cabins have a clock in the room?

There were clocks in the two balcony cruises I took but I sailed once inside and there was no clock in the room. I am prone to waking up numerous times during the night and withouth a clock/sunlight I had no sense of night or daytime.

Should I bring my own clock?

There were clocks in the two balcony cruises I took but I sailed once inside and there was no clock in the room. I am prone to waking up numerous times during the night and withouth a clock/sunlight I had no sense of night or daytime.

I don't think we ever had a clock in the room on any cruise we took. If we want to get up early we just get a wake up call on the phone.

I stayed in an inside last cruise and there was no clock.

I stayed in an inside last cruise and there was no clock.

There is a tiny, tiny (non-backlighted) clock in each and every stateroom - part of the integrated telephone display - (virtually useless) it's so small that we can barely see who's calling (cabin/name, etc.) when it rang. It sure won't help in the middle of the night or with lights out - well, at least it's supposed to display ship's correct time. I gave up trying to use it (next to bed's small night table) even with my mini LED flashlight - the old standby worked - put the "old" mobile phone into airplane mode (and, for compatible device, turn on the smartphone's dock mode for an oversized clock display)

Edited by mking8288

Does anyone know where I could find the MDR menu for the 7 night EOS cruise?

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find it. I'm trying to figure out which nights I want to go to Portofino's. Thanks

I Think there was a clock on the TV? it would play music, and show the ships bow, and It had time, Latitude and longitude, something like that.

I always bring my travel alarm clock. Much easier to have it at my bedside if I wake up during the night than to have to turn on the tv. Many travel alarm clocks have a light. While the time does show on the phone, it is almost impossible to read it in the dark.

I always bring my travel alarm clock. Much easier to have it at my bedside if I wake up during the night than to have to turn on the tv. Many travel alarm clocks have a light. While the time does show on the phone, it is almost impossible to read it in the dark.

Well...no problem reading this alarm clock in the dark.....it projects the time and temp onto the ceiling. I bought the same one a few months ago for 14 bucks including shipping, works great and it's a name brand, not a knockoff. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-Alarm-Clock-Radio-Controlled-Time-and-Temp-Projection-New-/360431436869?pt=US_Clocks&hash=item53eb634445

Can anyone tell me if they have a Golf Pro on board the Explorer that sets up golf excursions in Bermuda? Or is it better if I just book a golf outing with a course directly in Bermuda before I leave?

Can anyone tell me if they have a Golf Pro on board the Explorer that sets up golf excursions in Bermuda? Or is it better if I just book a golf outing with a course directly in Bermuda before I leave?

No you're better off doing that yourself..unless you happen to be in a suite, or you have access to the Concierge lounge....

there MIGHT be golf excursions.....but if you have a place you want to play, you might get things done faster just doing this yourself

Just off Explorer. As mentioned before, CD Richard Spacey left after our cruise for vacation. During the cruise he mentioned that the activities director, Leigh (who was awesome, by the way) will be taking over as cruise director on 6/7.

Just off Explorer. As mentioned before, CD Richard Spacey left after our cruise for vacation. During the cruise he mentioned that the activities director, Leigh (who was awesome, by the way) will be taking over as cruise director on 6/7.

Sorry to hear that Richard Spacey will most likely not be on our 8/2 sailing. I was so looking forward to meeting him as I've read that he's very good. However, I'm relieved to know that the activities director is good too. Anything else you can tell us about Leigh? Male, female? Not that it matters as long as he/she can show us a good time:D

I've been doing some research for our next cruise. Explorer for Sept 2013 has 4 cruise dates showing, but only the last one, Sept 29, is not N/A.

How is it possible that 3 cruises are already sold out or even chartered?

Dry dock is not scheduled then is it? Just curious.