Pre-cruise from Cape Town

Francine

We are planning to be on Ocean Princess, May 6, 2012 out of Cape Town to Dover. Traveling all that way, we would like a nice experience before boarding the ship. We are open to extra days in Cape Town or another city along the way.

Should we stick with something arranged by Princess so that our luggage is cared for, or will we be able to set up something independently?

Any suggestions?

Fran

We have been to Cape Town three times including twice before boarding the Ocean Princess. It is a beautiful city. We spent several days on tours in the area. Others go on a safari to one or more of the game parks.

If you stay in Cape Town, you can do everything on your own. We stayed at the Radison Blu, which is a half mile from the V&A Waterfront - lots of shops and lots of restaurants. The hotel will arrange tours if you want. Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain and Shellenbach are all popular.

I have also been to Cape Town several times.

You do not need to book with Princess.

You can stay at a hotel if you would like at the V&A Waterfront which is in close proximity to the ships. Or you can select other places.

The concierge at the hotel can help you with arrangements for a private car which I would do to get out to the wine country.

I would highly recommend a few other items.

There are two itineraries for the HoHo bus tours and they begin at the V&A Waterfront. They are both excellent.

Also, from the waterfront area you can go out to Robben Island where Nelson Mandella was held and take a fascinating tour. The ship that takes you out there also leaves from the V&A Waterfront and the tour includes going to and from there by ship and once on the island there is a bus tour that takes you all around and drops you off in selected areas. It is fascinating. I recommend purchasing tickets on the internet ahead of time. Here is a link to that web site.

http://robben-island.org.za/

I would try to spend three or even four nights in Cape Town.

Keith

Thanks Paul and Keith. I really appreciate your help. We really need to set this up so that we can figure out what dates to arrange our flights. Was the jet lag a major problem for you? I am wondering if we should leave a day just to adjust.

Does anyone know of a good place to visit for a game safari? How much time would we need for that?

Fran

Jet lag can be a bear. Most flights from the US involve an over night flight to Europe, a long layover and then another overnight fligth to South Africa.

Delta and South African Airways have flights from the US that involve only one overnight. We have flown Delta. Home - to Atlanta to Johanesberg to Cape Town.

BTW, we will be getting off the Ocean P in Cape Town when you are boarding.

Does anyone know of a good place to visit for a game safari? How much time would we need for that?
There aren't really any good places for this within easy distance of Cape Town. If you want to do this, I would add at least a further five days to your trip.

Most people I know (South Africans, admittedly) who've been to Robben Island say that it's not worth the time and effort. And I'm not even sure that you can get there at the moment; there were some, er, technical issues with the ferries for quite some time.

Top tip if you're interested in going up to the top of Table Mountain (which is definitely worth it): leave yourself flexibility in your schedule and do not plan every hour of every day. Look up at Table Mountain every time you can see it, and if it is not cloudy, drop everything and go there immediately. Waiting even an hour can make all the difference between being able to see everything and not being able to see a single thing from the top - and the presence or absence of cloud on top of the mountain can be very unpredictable.

To add to the list of "must see" places: Cape Point (and the surrounding national park), Constantia (the nearest winery area), Camps Bay and the Kirstenbosch gardens.

There aren't really any good places for this within easy distance of Cape Town. If you want to do this, I would add at least a further five days to your trip.

Most people I know (South Africans, admittedly) who've been to Robben Island say that it's not worth the time and effort. And I'm not even sure that you can get there at the moment; there were some, er, technical issues with the ferries for quite some time.

Top tip if you're interested in going up to the top of Table Mountain (which is definitely worth it): leave yourself flexibility in your schedule and do not plan every hour of every day. Look up at Table Mountain every time you can see it, and if it is not cloudy, drop everything and go there immediately. Waiting even an hour can make all the difference between being able to see everything and not being able to see a single thing from the top - and the presence or absence of cloud on top of the mountain can be very unpredictable.

To add to the list of "must see" places: Cape Point (and the surrounding national park), Constantia (the nearest winery area), Camps Bay and the Kirstenbosch gardens.

I found the tour of Robben Island to be quite interesting and definitely a highlight.

Often, people who live in a particular city/town do not visit all of the sites in which they live.

In fact, during our 2010 World Cruise we were speaking with some of the crew who are from South Africa (we visited three different ports of call in South Africa) and there were a number of places they had not yet visited.

You would be surprised how many New Yorkers have never gone up to the top of the Empire State Building. Same goes for Washington, DC where I had lived for many years and most locals have never taken the tour of the White House, yet that is certainly a fascinating tour.

I found the tour to be quite good. One of the highlights of the tour was a visit to the former prison. The people who guide you during that portion of the tour are former political prisoners who used to be in prison. It was enlightening to hear what they had to say.

The tours are indeed running. There are times that the ferries don't run if the winds are quite high.

Keith

Often, people who live in a particular city/town do not visit all of the sites in which they live.
That's very true, including of me and London. The view that I related, though, comes from Saffers who have been to Robben Island. Nevertheless, equally there are many visitors who go to Robben Island and (like yourself) found it worthwhile.

The difference in experience may come in part from local cynicism born of too much exposure to the hagiography of Mandela, and from what the ANC represents in the country today as opposed to the heady days of the early 1990s.

That's very true, including of me and London. The view that I related, though, comes from Saffers who have been to Robben Island. Nevertheless, equally there are many visitors who go to Robben Island and (like yourself) found it worthwhile.

The difference in experience may come in part from local cynicism born of too much exposure to the hagiography of Mandela, and from what the ANC represents in the country today as opposed to the heady days of the early 1990s.

Yes, the times we were there we definitely picked up on a bunch of lingering issues. While they have all come along way there are many issues still to work through.

My experience in many cities where locals live, is that they put off going to certain sites because in the back of their minds they know they can go there at a later time. Of course, some never make it to the sites.

Keith

Yes, the times we were there we definitely picked up on a bunch of lingering issues. While they have all come along way there are many issues still to work through.

Keith

I think that's true of most nations ;)

As a South African, it was interesting to read through all the recommendations. OP, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Cape Town is a wonderful city. There is a wine region called Franschoek which is my husband and my personal favourite.

We will be visiting Cape Town with our two young children in September so I will (if I remember) add to this list once we are back with some new recommendations. Enjoy!

I won my tug of war with my husband, and we will be making the following trip. LA to Dubai Emrates FC, non stop. Where to stay in Dubai that is fabulous. Things to do that are fabulous (two days I think) Then down to Capetown--3 days--fabulous things to do and what hotel? Fabulous hotel? Then fly to Johanesburg (where to stay and what to do); the private transportation to Sr. Richard Bransons ulusaba.

Need tips on what to do. Need tips on clothing for the game preserve.

Need to know almost everything. Pleasssssseeee help!

This was the last thing on my bucket list.

Hi Carol

What time of year will you be in South Africa?

When you're staying in Jhb, here are two of my recommendations:

http://www.thesaxon.com/#/home

www.westcliff.co.za

For private transport to Ulusaba, contact them for their preferred providers.

One of my favoutire things to do:

Cheetah experience

www.dewildt.co.za

Cultural village

http://www.places.co.za/html/3002.html

Gold Reef City:

www.goldreefcity.co.za

There is a multitide of things to do in Jhb. It is a very big city. Depends on what you are looking to do, the above should help, but also look at tripadvisor.

You are going to have an AMAZING time :)

I have been to Cape Town 4 times and the last two times I took groups of people from home. I like staying at the Commodore (or sister hotel the Portswood) as they are directly across from the V&A waterfront..also the Commodore has a fabulous concierge that can arrange everything for you..they are even tied in with a couple of game parks if you want to get a safari in. You can also go on the website for South African airways and see their offerings..just explain that you can't return from Cape Town but will have to return from_____..they can do that, too. Allow at least 4 days for CapeTown including a day to Cape Point and a day for the vineyards in the wine country and the charming little town of Stellenbosch. Add at least 4 days for a safari..one travel day up, 2 days of game drives, and a travel day back for the ship..Enjoy it all..this is my favorite city in the world!! I use Thompson's for the tours.. Sherry

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to be on Ocean Princess, May 6, 2012 out of Cape Town to Dover. Traveling all that way, we would like a nice experience before boarding the ship. We are open to extra days in Cape Town or another city along the way.

Should we stick with something arranged by Princess so that our luggage is cared for, or will we be able to set up something independently?

Any suggestions?

Fran

For a tour in Capetown try a visit to Stellenbosch for wine tasting and the cheetah experience. We had a fantastic time with tsiba tsiba tours who collected us from the ship (or anywhere else you decide) and took us on a tour around and to the Winery where we had fabulous wines (too expensive for me to purchase) then a tour around the workings of the place We then went to the cheetah reserve where we were able to stroke wild cheetahs for about 15 minutes. The handler took photos for us as you had to stay out of reach of the cheetah's face./ There was also a rescue centre for birds of prey and etc and this was marvellous We were able to touch the birds and have them land on our arm if we liked. The dancing owls were fun and everything as beautifully looked after. We then had a tour back to the ship and arrived exactly at the time stipulated. Willem the organiser did an excellent job for us If you wanted more wine tasting this could have been added at an extra cost but for us the day was perfect at a very reasonable price.:D

windsor26,

Thank you so much for your recommendation. This is exactly what we have been looking for. We will have several days in Cape Town prior to our cruise and we were hoping someone could suggest a company to work with.

I had discovered your "Live From" thread(s), but not until your trip was over. Since we will be sailing along the west coast, I found your comments about Cape Town most helpful.

Thanks, again.

And "thank you" to everyone else for your advice on what to do. This whole cruise will be to places we have never been. So much to think about. :confused:

Fran

I hear a lot about the winelands, but are you whiskey fans? Check out the video of the Whiskey Sommelier at the Cape Grace hotel.

We enjoyed a drink there, the whiskey menu was something like 30 pages.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived