Just off the veendam

ConnCruise

In the limo heading home. Got lots to report. Nice cruise. Nice ship. Enjoyed Bermuda. I'll put together a review later in the day. If anyone has some questions..fire away. As you can tell dembarcation was easy since I'm halfway home.

Many good things to report...a few bad things like our toilet, but I'll try to get more organized later in the day. Looks like I'll be home by 10.30 so I'll have some time.

My first time to Bermuda and on Hal.

Without knowing what your preferences are I would say to try "as you wish" dinning. As long as you're willing to sit with others, we found it a great way to meet folks and we never had to wait for a table.

If you enjoy beaches, don't miss Horseshoe beach and the less busy beach right next to Horseshoe. Incredible sand and just about the clearest, bluest water you'll ever see. Take the number 7 bus or a cab from Hamilton.

Even though groceries are really expensive in Bermuda you can still buy soft drinks to take back to your stateroom wY cheaper than ship prices. Take a right as you get off the ship in Hamilton and follow front street for about a block and a half. A supermarket is on the other side of the street.

Oh yea.be careful crossing the street. Use the crossing signals and remember they drive on the left. Look twice before you cross. Both ways. Trust me on this.

I'm just looking at a cruise for July 3. I'm not familiar with cruises from this area and have a few questions.

What is the name of the port?

What is the best airport to fly in for this cruise?

How much would a taxi cost from the airport to the port? And is this the best way to transfer(with 86 & 91 yr old parents)?

Glad to hear that overall you had a good cruise.

Oh, one last question, is there a convenient place to buy wine on our way from the airport to the ship?

Hamilton is the port where the Veendam docks. Right in the city. Very cool.

Airports to New York. Laguardia is closest, JFK is next and Newark is over in jersey. Cheapest airfare would be my measure. Cab fare from JFK is about $50. Might be less from laguardia. Don't know about Newark.

Buying wine. Don't know. Probably better to get to the ship early and get squared away and then check the far west side for a place to buy. A cab will take you but it'll cost an arm and leg. The pier is on 12 ave and about 50 th street. Maybe someone who lives on the west side could answer this better than me.

We were able to get off the ship and wonder around before we left last Sunday. Bought a six pack of diet pepsi to tide me over until Hamilton.

My first time to Bermuda and on Hal.

Without knowing what your preferences are I would say to try "as you wish" dinning. As long as you're willing to sit with others, we found it a great way to meet folks and we never had to wait for a table.

If you enjoy beaches, don't miss Horseshoe beach and the less busy beach right next to Horseshoe. Incredible sand and just about the clearest, bluest water you'll ever see. Take the number 7 bus or a cab from Hamilton.

Even though groceries are really expensive in Bermuda you can still buy soft drinks to take back to your stateroom wY cheaper than ship prices. Take a right as you get off the ship in Hamilton and follow front street for about a block and a half. A supermarket is on the other side of the street.

Oh yea.be careful crossing the street. Use the crossing signals and remember they drive on the left. Look twice before you cross. Both ways. Trust me on this.

I think that you meant to say "Open" dining, since "As You Wish" dining refers to both "Open" and "Traditional Fixed" dining. ;)

I'm just looking at a cruise for July 3. I'm not familiar with cruises from this area and have a few questions.

What is the name of the port?

What is the best airport to fly in for this cruise?

How much would a taxi cost from the airport to the port? And is this the best way to transfer(with 86 & 91 yr old parents)?

Oh, one last question, is there a convenient place to buy wine on our way from the airport to the ship?

Port: The Veendam leaves from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on 12th Avenue and 55th Street in Manhattan. You can google Manhattan Cruise Terminal for information.

In Bermuda the ship will anchor off of St.George on Tuesday then transit over to Hamilton at 5 P.M. The ship will stay docked in Hamilton until 12:30 P.M. Friday.

Airport: Do not fly into Newark Liberty Airport. A taxi from there will cost over $100 as there are no restrictions going from state to state.

Agree with poster who recommends LaGuardia first and JFK second.

Taxi fares are fixed at $50 from these 2 airports plus a per bag charge plus tolls. Should end up around $60. This is the best way to go if you have older people in the group. Remember it gets hot and humid in NYC in July and you will want to be in an air-conditioned cab.

Wine: Other posters have reported that there is a liquor store in the 50's on Tenth Avenue with decent prices. Don't remember name unfortunately.

Just remember that everything is taxed like hell in NYC.

Have a great cruise and don't believe all of the negatives you may hear about the Veendam. Some of it is true but the odds are with you.

Posters have recommended 10th Avenue Wines and Liquors which is on 10th between 54th and 55th Street, only a few blocks from the pier.

Should add no more than $10 to your cab fare due to waiting time. It's on the way to the ship. Supposedly have great selection and prices.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived