retirement condo ships?

m steve

I just read a book by Albert Brooks where older people buy a cabin for 1 or 2 on a ship and it docks for a period of time in a single port or travels but with limited itineraries. What would you think about this idea and how much would you pay to buy a cabin and what would a monthly fee be? The book is called "2030" and is an interesting novel. This would not be a luxury ship like they now have but more like a motel on water.

I just read a book by Albert Brooks where older people buy a cabin for 1 or 2 on a ship and it docks for a period of time in a single port or travels but with limited itineraries. What would you think about this idea and how much would you pay to buy a cabin and what would a monthly fee be? The book is called "2030" and is an interesting novel. This would not be a luxury ship like they now have but more like a motel on water.

Are you talking about "Residensea"?

http://www.condohotelcenter.com/residensea.html

There was another ship that advertised all the time several years ago. I think its name was Millenium (?). I checked into the prices once, just for hahas. The price was well into the millions and the monthly maintenance tens of thousands. :eek:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Thought about this, but DH brought me back to Earth. What happens when you outlive the ship and it has to be scrapped? Do you get a new apartment on another ship?

We were docked near The World in Rio about a year ago.

The ship was almost empty and preparing to go through bankruptcy. The cost for a small apartment was around one million and the monthly maintenance fee was more than we pay to be on the Amsterdam. And this did not include meals or entertainment which were extra.

Even though we cruise more than 200 days a year, it didn't seem worth while to us.

Scott & Karen

I looked into this. It has a few major flaws. One is that you can't have your family pets, so say goodbye to fluffy and fido. :( The other is, it's bleeping expensive! LOL

I love the idea though, if i could bring my fur baby with me. :-)

I read on the World (Residensea) CC site that you need a net worth of about 5 mil, units can cost 1 mil and that the maintance fees are about 100,000 a year. As much as I love cruising not sure that makes sense!

I looked into this. It has a few major flaws. One is that you can't have your family pets, so say goodbye to fluffy and fido. :( The other is, it's bleeping expensive! LOL

I love the idea though, if i could bring my fur baby with me. :-)

One of the advantages of The World is that yes you can have your pets onboard, within limits.

However, many countries do have special restrictions for visiting animals.

Yes, the prices are not for the timid.

You own your unit just like a condo and decorate it to your tastes.

The SMALL units (all are called "suites") start in the millions.

Recently there was a grand apartment, with adjoining apartment, available for some astronomical figure,

It might still be for sale.

In April I was docked near her in Nassau, so she is still sailing.

No idea about any pending bankruptcy.

or super luxury ships. More like buying into a retirement apartment on land but on a ship. Say for about $200000 and a monthly fee like a condo or home charges to offset expenses. They could try it with one of the older smaller ships that they sell off to Asia or South America.

or super luxury ships. More like buying into a retirement apartment on land but on a ship. Say for about $200000 and a monthly fee like a condo or home charges to offset expenses. They could try it with one of the older smaller ships that they sell off to Asia or South America.

I used to work for ResidenSea. Interesting concept.

Those older smaller ships that they sell off to Asia or South America (40,000 tons or so) are usually sold because their aircon plants are shot, they have frequent floods and blackouts, and their engines are no longer fuel efficient.

They normally sell for around $100 million or so.

To pay for that ship, you would have to sell 500 cabins at your suggested price of $200,000 each.

So that $200,000 would get you a 10 foot by 15 foot "condo" on a ship that size.

ResidenSea's fuel bill runs around $1 million per month. An older ship would be far more.

ResidenSea's payroll - with just a few dozen condos - is $250,000 per month. A ship with 500 condos would be far more.

ResidenSea's docking fees run around $250,000 per month. An older ship would be the same.

It might be safe to assume that the older ship's basic operating costs could be kept at $2 million a month. That would translate to $1,000 per week for every tenant.

Of course, this doesn't cover the frequent breakdowns an older ship experiences, nor does it cover dry docks, which are outrageously expensive.

Then of course, an older ship will only live a few years more. What happens to your $200,000 investment when the ship can no longer move or float?

probaby better off just doing what a few do that we know that 'live' on the HAL ships for the most part of a year. No maintenance fees. and they are treated like 'royalty'. Probably still cheaper than a retirement home:D

...I used to work for ResidenSea. Interesting concept.

Those older smaller ships that they sell off to Asia or South America (40,000 tons or so) are usually sold because their aircon plants are shot, they have frequent floods and blackouts, and their engines are no longer fuel efficient.

.....some of this sounds familiar to me-it must be an echo.

The Statendam sounds like a great candidate for the condos considering the shape of it.

Hey, I'm due to spend 15 days through the Canal on her this Oct.

AND, there are days I feel like I need a "dry dock" ;)

r.

Seems like you would not have to have any attachments(family, pets, etc.) for ResidenSea to be worth it.

I love to cruise, but I can't imagine spending months at a time on a ship, no matter *how* amazing the ports were(and this is coming from someone who has done 2 week-long cruises and a 3 day cruise to Mexico)

Archived