Rcl stock sinking

Orator

At 3:45 today stock is down $2.08 to $33.80. Been on a downward spiral for the last 4 days. There have been several threads asking about buying the stock just to get an OBC. Stocks go up. Stocks go down. Today: DOWN. Tomorrow ?

RCCL is in a tough predicament right now with oil being high, the global economy still struggling, food costs up, and airfares up (causing fewer people to be able to travel to take a cruise). Also both the Celebrity and RCI brands of RCCL have committed so many ships to Europe at a time where it is difficult for people in the U.S. to travel to Europe for a cruise between the airfares and weak dollar. Not a pretty picture in terms of profits.

Totally agree with your analysis. My comment is simply offered as a warning to those who believe that they should purchase the stock simply to get an OBC. Is RCCL a good long term investment? I have an opinion, but don't feel I should share it here. One should speak to an investment advisor and do their own due diligence.

On January 18, 2011 the stock sold at $49.99. Just a fact, no conclusion. Once again, I'm not offering an opinion on the stock. Recently there have been a number of posts where people said that they wanted to purchase just for the OBC. To me, that's not the primary reason to buy. If you believe that it fits your goals, buy. If it doesn't, don't buy. Totally up to you. I currently own the stock and hope that it goes to a hundred. Since stock ownership is neither death nor taxes, nothing is certain.

Totally agree with your analysis. My comment is simply offered as a warning to those who believe that they should purchase the stock simply to get an OBC. Is RCCL a good long term investment? I have an opinion, but don't feel I should share it here. One should speak to an investment advisor and do their own due diligence.

The first business class that I took clearly pointed out that stock is not an investment. It is speculation.

The OBC isn't that enticing to make me want to buy that stock. There are also some restriction that go along with it.

New ship coming up for delivary in a few short weeks so a big check will be nessesary - that so far has always caused a dip in the stocks. It then recovered afterwards. How fast has been different after each one.

The fuel price is definately a factor here tooo so that might dampen the overall picture at bit more this time.

New ship coming up for delivary in a few short weeks so a big check will be nessesary - that so far has always caused a dip in the stocks. It then recovered afterwards. How fast has been different after each one.

The issues this time aren't due to RCCL in particular. For example, Carnival has also gone down similarly of late.

They're more general issues like gonzo pointed out initially.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the stock price.

The people who bought it at $6 in early 2009 are, I'm sure, still quite happy.

Yes and no. I bought mine for $5.50 a share. But now, I wish I had bought of ton of it at that price. I just bought the 100 required shares. I have received more back in OBC than the purchase price of the stock.

At 3:45 today stock is down $2.08 to $33.80. Been on a downward spiral for the last 4 days. There have been several threads asking about buying the stock just to get an OBC. Stocks go up. Stocks go down. Today: DOWN. Tomorrow ?

This may be part of the problem:

Celebrity Millennium Alaska Cruise May 27 – June 3, 2011

I have been trying for 2 days now to write a Review of my Alaska Cruise on Celebrity’s Millennium, and have been unsuccessful. So here it is on Facebook, for all to read:

Alaska was great, the scenery the land tour, before the Cruise and the Excursions while on the Ship.

However there were problems while onboard. The Norovirus was prevalent in many persons onboard the ship both on its voyage from Vancouver to Seward and from Seward to Vancouver. A person infected norovirus experiences vomiting or diarrhea which can contaminate their environment directly or spread virus particles through aerosolized droplets when throwing up. Contamination may also occur in food and/or in water, which has led to infection spreading widely in restaurants or aboard cruise ships.

Our friends whom we traveled with were both sick for 3 days and Quarantined to their Cabin for 3 days. They were so weak they could not walk by themselves to the Dr. Office on board. The virus hit them fast and hard. Many others were sick also, as we found out in the elevators when talking with others who had been sick.

This caused precautions aboard such as no salt & pepper on the tables, no bread on tables, no creamers, no sweeteners etc. As a result the waiter’s had to do all of this and it resulted in poorer service and waiting for us. Also in the Buffet Dining areas, it took 5 minutes minimum to get a cup of coffee or water, after which your breakfast/lunch was cold. Then you could not find an empty table to sit down at to enjoy your food!!! We could not serve ourselves on the buffet and everything had to be done by gloved servers. This made for long backed up lines.

The constant sanitizing of hands and hand rails and even cabins did not halt the spread of the virus. I believe the customer’s should have been advised by more than a letter at check-in which most did not even pick up. More information should have been given out, or the whole ship should have been de contaminated Before the Cruse was allowed to continue. Compensation should be given to all those who were sick and confined to their Cabins for up to 3 days.

The food in the dining room was excellent, even though the service was longer than normal due to the precautions taken.

Thankfully we did not get sick and were able to enjoy the Cruise and beautiful scenery.

I have been trying for 2 days now to write a Review of my Alaska Cruise on Celebrity’s Millennium, and have been unsuccessful. So here it is on Facebook, for all to read:

Alaska was great, the scenery the land tour, before the Cruise and the Excursions while on the Ship.

However there were problems while onboard. The Norovirus was prevalent in many persons onboard the ship both on its voyage from Vancouver to Seward and from Seward to Vancouver. A person infected norovirus experiences vomiting or diarrhea which can contaminate their environment directly or spread virus particles through aerosolized droplets when throwing up. Contamination may also occur in food and/or in water, which has led to infection spreading widely in restaurants or aboard cruise ships.

Our friends whom we traveled with were both sick for 3 days and Quarantined to their Cabin for 3 days. They were so weak they could not walk by themselves to the Dr. Office on board. The virus hit them fast and hard. Many others were sick also, as we found out in the elevators when talking with others who had been sick.

This caused precautions aboard such as no salt & pepper on the tables, no bread on tables, no creamers, no sweeteners etc. As a result the waiter’s had to do all of this and it resulted in poorer service and waiting for us. Also in the Buffet Dining areas, it took 5 minutes minimum to get a cup of coffee or water, after which your breakfast/lunch was cold. Then you could not find an empty table to sit down at to enjoy your food!!! We could not serve ourselves on the buffet and everything had to be done by gloved servers. This made for long backed up lines.

The constant sanitizing of hands and hand rails and even cabins did not halt the spread of the virus. I believe the customer’s should have been advised by more than a letter at check-in which most did not even pick up. More information should have been given out, or the whole ship should have been de contaminated Before the Cruse was allowed to continue. Compensation should be given to all those who were sick and confined to their Cabins for up to 3 days.

The food in the dining room was excellent, even though the service was longer than normal due to the precautions taken.

Thankfully we did not get sick and were able to enjoy the Cruise and beautiful scenery.

Sorry you experienced a Noro breakout, but they are not uncommon and would have no impact on stock. Stock prices are about the future, not the past. Now, if there was a potential for a large lawsuit that would impact earnings in a substanitial way then stock price would suffer. That's not the case here.

The OBC for the stock these days does not appear to be combinable (is that a word?) with deals like the latest CC offerings that I got yesterday via email anyways.

The fine print that came with the email doesn't mention it by name but the " is not combinable with any other offer or promotion." wording seems to cover everything. The USA email had more specific wording but similarly covered everything else too.

So although I'm very happy at my entry point price the profit on those shares is looking to be taken as it slips I think. Can't use it with any other credit now it appears.

thoughts?

And just how well has the stock market done overall in recent weeks and days/ Obviously purchasing stock just to get an OBC, especially one that has not been paying dividends for some time now, is ill-advised, but comparing its current price against a high without making a similar comparison to its low of not much more than a year ago, is really a selective way of attempting to prove a particular position.

And just how well has the stock market done overall in recent weeks and days/ Obviously purchasing stock just to get an OBC, especially one that has not been paying dividends for some time now, is ill-advised, but comparing its current price against a high without making a similar comparison to its low of not much more than a year ago, is really a selective way of attempting to prove a particular position.

Your line: "Obviously purchasing stock just to get an OBC...is ill -advised...." is exactly the point I've been trying to make. A comment was made that people who paid $6.00 per share were happy. I mentioned the high not as a comparison of price, but as an indication that some paid a much higher price and are not happy. Perhaps the numbers are an indicator of "happiness", rather than price points.

It was really fun being in the run up! :D I chickened out and sold in Jan. That sure was a lot of OBC!

You made a profit. Now you can find a good reentry point, buy the shares and hopefully enjoy another run-up. and more cruise credits. Good job!

The gain I realized was worth much more than the obc I received. At the purchase price, I figured I could afford to take a loss and, with the obc, still come out ahead. I don't think that way at anything near today's price.

You have posted this in a few places. It certainly has nothing to do with the price of stock. No insult intended, but you are one person and not going to influence the price of stock.

You obviously haven't cruised much. They cruiselines do the best they can when noro happens and they did everything they could for you to keep you illness free.

Generally, if there had been a large amount of noro on the previous cruise they would do a complete and thorough cleaning before leaving on the next cruise. Quite frequently that will slow the next cruise's departure time.

They did the right thing in removing the salt & peppers and all the other precautions they took. Bear in mind, the cause if noro is usually a passenger bringing it onboard to begin with.

As for your remarks about compensation, each cabin would have to request their own - quite often they do recieve it. You weren't sick so you would not be entitled to anything.

Your review would have been much better had your mentioned the noro but actually described you cruise not the illness.

I only hold 100 shares only for OBCs. Usually do 14ners or longer so it works well in my case. Fun to watch the fluctuations. Largest I ever noted per day was 8.8 percent. Oil prices determine much of fluctuation.

Archived