Can short women wear Maxi Dresses

Personally I think "no" because I am learning to embrace a shorter hemline because I do think it looks better on me. I love maxi dresses, don't get me wrong, but I think I can find something with the idea of the dress (flow, ease, comfort) in a more flattering style

But, so what. Who cares? You know? Get one if you want one.

I think if a short woman wears a maxi that is not large and billowy but is proportioned smaller, it can look fine. A smaller lady just needs to choose carefully. There are some that have way too much fabric to be flattering for most everyone. IMO

I'm barely five foot, and I have two maxi dresses. No, they don't make me look tall and willowy -- nothing will do that, and I actually like my size.

As other people have said, it's all about proportions. I love things from the petite section. Being shorter from shoulder to waist, they fit me so much better than regular sizes.

Wow! I started this thread almost one year ago - before our Oasis cruise... I never did find the perfect casual maxi for that cruise. But......we're leaving tomorrow on =X= Summit and I can happily report 2 maxi dresses are packed! The right fabric, print and cut look great!

Happy Sailing to all!

Wow! I started this thread almost one year ago - before our Oasis cruise... I never did find the perfect casual maxi for that cruise. But......we're leaving tomorrow on =X= Summit and I can happily report 2 maxi dresses are packed! The right fabric, print and cut look great!

Happy Sailing to all!

It's funny how some threads can be resurrected after a long time. Sometimes people don't check the date on the thread and I've seen some that were several years old.:D

Back to the original question. I just didn't see why a short person couldn't wear one. No one ever asks if they can wear a long gown.;) I'm not tall either but I have at least one maxi waiting for Oct.

Have a great time on the Summit....love X.:)

I am 5' and can wear casual maxi. Depends on the style.(for me)

There is one thing, which was wondering if anyone else cannot wear is

pointy shoes? I feel I look like an elf. haha Bad enough some friends have a joke name for me (garden gnome). hahaha

I'm 5'1 and a bit and I recently bought a maxi dress. Never bothered trying one on because I thought it would look ridiculous, but went into a changeroom to try on other things and there was one hanging on the hook in the room: gorgeous pattern, just my size, and 20 bucks. I figured what the heck, may as well try it on, and it looked amazing, so I went for it. I do wear quite high wedges with it, but that's just me.

I'm 4ft 10 &1/2" & a size 14(uk) & I love maxi dresses but not all of them!! Some make me look shorter & wider others make me look slimmer & petite rather than short :p. Depends on the material, colour, patterned or plain. I have to have all my trousers, jeans, dresses etc taken up even from petite ranges :eek: I have quite a few maxi's coming on the cruise with me, some casual daywear some evening wear.

Go for it, if you feel comfortable & like the look then why not?? I'm sure you'll look gorgeous :D

I love love love maxi dresses. I am short I suppose, about 5'3. But for my upcoming cruise, I bought 2 maxi dresses from Macy's from the INC brand, and I love them! They have lots of different patterns, available in regular sizes & plus sizes as well. I plan on wearing a nice pair of sandals I got from Calvin Klein. I would definitely check out Macy's. They offer maxi dresses from a few brands, some inexpensive & some more expensive. :)

I'm only 5'1 and I found several maxi dresses at Macy's as well that skims the floor so I can wear both flats and wedges. I absolutely love the jersey fabric ones, it's super comfy, classic and looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Sailing to all!

Awesome!! I love a great maxi dress...I'm on the hunt for a couple that are not halter style so I can wear a regular bra.

I'm looking forward to your Summit review and pictures :)

I think if you feel you look good then wear it. I am 5ft. 8 with a muscular build (work out a lot!:D) and I have never found a maxi dress that looks good on me. I always feel dumpy in them. I bought one in St. Thomas a few years ago and ended up using it as a beach coverup.

Sherri:)

Awesome!! I love a great maxi dress...I'm on the hunt for a couple that are not halter style so I can wear a regular bra.

I'm looking forward to your Summit review and pictures :)

OMG! Kelly, that has to be the cutest picture of you guys, the one in your signature!!!!! <3

I have 2 maxi dresses that I like and look good.. Both you can wear a regular bra! Thats exactly what I hunted for too!

OMG! Kelly, that has to be the cutest picture of you guys, the one in your signature!!!!! <3

I have 2 maxi dresses that I like and look good.. Both you can wear a regular bra! Thats exactly what I hunted for too!

I just ordered THIS ONE from JCP yesterday. I wish they would have had it at the store. Can't wait to try it on.

And thanks on the siggy picture. It's one of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered THIS ONE from JCP yesterday. I wish they would have had it at the store. Can't wait to try it on.

And thanks on the siggy picture. It's one of my favorites.

Very nice Kelly!!

If you find a maxi dress that you love but it has spaghetti straps, make it a jumper by wearing a tee shirt underneath!

Very nice Kelly!!

If you find a maxi dress that you love but it has spaghetti straps, make it a jumper by wearing a tee shirt underneath!

Well, that dress was the pits...but I did find one I love when I returned it.

544747_3575695069018_389501774_n.jpg

I think I'll wear it for Allen's graduation/party this Saturday.

Well, that dress was the pits...but I did find one I love when I returned it.

544747_3575695069018_389501774_n.jpg

I think I'll wear it for Allen's graduation/party this Saturday.

Hi, I love this dress...the design and colors are really nice:)

Archived