UPDATE: Case of the Missing Portable DVD Player

Great news, and thanks for the original post and follow up post.

This will inform people not to just complain once, but to follow up.

Great information, like they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease,

or in your case a DVD player.

Now others will find out how to get their stuff back.

Not saying that people do not steal, it is just that if they did, people will tell.

Enough people complain, and they will take action.

They know this, and do not want to jeopardize their job, for a thing worth under $1000.

:rolleyes:

This is in regards to my posting earlier this week about our portable dvd player that we left in our stateroom....

I just thought I would share with everyone (at least, those of you that have been biting your nails waiting ;)) that I received a message yesterday from RCI with an update. It was the supervisor that I had spoken to earlier in the week and had called to say that they had found the player and dvd's. YES, I couldn't believe it! Apparently, when the inital email was sent to the ship they looked under the date that we sailed (5/22) and not the date that the item was turned in (5/29). This I guess, caused some confusion on their end. Anyway, I am thrilled that they found it and don't need to worry about putting in a claim through our travel insurince

I am glad I pushed back on them to email the ship again and to contact the Head of Housekeeping. If I hadn't done that, it may not have ended back into our hands. I hope that this in some way helps anyone that has left an item on the ship to keep following up, as it just may show be found!

Thanks for reading and for everyone's replies from my earlier post....

Julie

So when will you apologize for assuming your hard working stateroom steward stole from you?

So when will you apologize for assuming your hard working stateroom steward stole from you?

And who does she apologize to? On her original thread she did say she felt very bad about accusing her SA, isn't that enough?

Someone else that needs to catch up on their reading.:rolleyes: Or, maybe they just can't resist the chance to "dig." I swear if this was a conversation in real life to a group of cruising friends there would be no such comments as those that are made here.

Thank you for saying this....whenever I read CC, I always think "would people really say these cruel things to someones face??" I boycott CC every now and then when I see too much of this hate speech :confused:

And who does she apologize to? On her original thread she did say she felt very bad about accusing her SA, isn't that enough?

She should apologize, publicly, to her S.A. The fact is, you complained it was missing, RCI monitors the boards, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they may have put two and two together and saw that she called out an innocent person as a thief.

And saying you feel bad is not apologizing. Sure the SA may never know, but that doesn't make it right, does it?

And, for what it is worth, I would say this to her face too.

She should apologize, publicly, to her S.A. The fact is, you complained it was missing, RCI monitors the boards, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they may have put two and two together and saw that she called out an innocent person as a thief.

And saying you feel bad is not apologizing. Sure the SA may never know, but that doesn't make it right, does it?

And, for what it is worth, I would say this to her face too.

I think " I feel VERY bad' covers it. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

I think " I feel VERY bad' covers it. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

Good for you. Would you feel the same if you were the one whose very livelihood was put at risk by a rash and ridiculous accusation made on a public forum? I don't think so.

Good for you. Would you feel the same if you were the one whose very livelihood was put at risk by a rash and ridiculous accusation made on a public forum? I don't think so.

Couldn't agree more

The accusation is always on the front page , but the retraction is always buried way in back near the obituaries

I am so glad that you gave us an update. It has been MY EXPERIENCE that when men look for things they simply don't see them even though they are there. Mind you, that is just MY OPINION. When you said that your husband looked and didn't see it I was suspicious because of MY EXPERIENCE.

I am so glad that you gave us an update. It has been MY EXPERIENCE that when men look for things they simply don't see them even though they are there. Mind you, that is just MY OPINION. When you said that your husband looked and didn't see it I was suspicious because of MY EXPERIENCE.

And also the opinion of my wife:D

[quote name='bibbysnow']I am so glad that you gave us an update. It has been MY EXPERIENCE that when men look for things they simply don't see them even though they are there. Mind you, that is just MY OPINION. When you said that your husband looked and didn't see it I was suspicious because of MY EXPERIENCE.[/QUOTE]

I personally enjoy how she insisted and defended her husband's searching at every turn and yet seems to be awfully cavalier about her accusation of theft.

I really don't get how people can behave like that. I get it. You assume your SA stole from you because you assume they would want and cannot afford your fancy toys. So you make a complaint to RCI not calling out the SA (although Im not sure you did not imply that). Then, you publicly accuse your SA, on a public forum where it is well known that RCI monitors the posts. For all you know, you got your SA fired. And you wont even come out and say you are sorry and you were wrong to have accused them. Instead you hide behind how YOU feel. YOU feel bad. How bad do you think your SA would feel if they knew you accused them?

This is what is wrong with people. Selfish, self centered and uncaring for consequences.

[quote name='thelion']I personally enjoy how she insisted and defended her husband's searching at every turn and yet seems to be awfully cavalier about her accusation of theft.

I really don't get how people can behave like that. I get it. You assume your SA stole from you because you assume they would want and cannot afford your fancy toys. So you make a complaint to RCI not calling out the SA (although Im not sure you did not imply that). Then, you publicly accuse your SA, on a public forum where it is well known that RCI monitors the posts. For all you know, you got your SA fired. And you wont even come out and say you are sorry and you were wrong to have accused them. Instead you hide behind how YOU feel. YOU feel bad. How bad do you think your SA would feel if they knew you accused them?

This is what is wrong with people. Selfish, self centered and uncaring for consequences.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you - I think it would be only fair if the OP wrote yet ANOTHER letter praising the efforts of the SA in finding the item SHE left behind and then turning it in.

[quote name='thelion']I personally enjoy how she insisted and defended her husband's searching at every turn and yet seems to be awfully cavalier about her accusation of theft.

This is what is wrong with people. Selfish, self centered and uncaring for consequences.[/quote]

Couldn´t agree more.
For CRUZIN RN:
Yes I would say all of this to a person face to face.

As much as Cruise Critic is helpful and informative...it is not the End All. We have no idea what was communicated between the OP and RCI and we have no idea where the item was even found. The OP owes none of us on here an apology. If all the posters on this forum were held responsible for things that were said, Cruise Critic would be nothing but an apology forum.

This is what is wrong with people. Selfish, self centered and uncaring for consequences.[/quote]

When I was an EMT we went on a OD call. The mother of the kid swore up down and side ways one of us stole the expensive watch he was wearing . Called Fire chiefs , police chiefs , mayors, news reporters and you name it.

Our higher ups knew all of us and never thought for a second any of us would do it.

But this woman made it very ugly.

Then the mother found the pawn ticket in her sons wallet when the hospital gave her back his belongings.

Not one of us got an apology.

Yes we all make mistakes. I believe the mistake here was made by the OP or her husband. An honest mistake which could happen to anyone and really isn't a sin.

What i find cruel and malicious is making an instant assumption that the item was stolen, and by someone who took care of their cabin throughout their stay.

As for saying things face to face. Though I would be happy to give my views (and remember we were initially asked for them) face to face, I would not want to be in the vicinity of someone who can so easily jump to such cruel assumptions.

If her purse was mislaid while standing next to someone (another pax say), would that someone be accused of pinching it before a thorough search is completed?

[quote name='tropiclvrs']This is in regards to my posting earlier this week about our portable dvd player that we left in our stateroom....

I just thought I would share with everyone (at least, those of you that have been biting your nails waiting ;)) that I received a message yesterday from RCI with an update. It was the supervisor that I had spoken to earlier in the week and had called to say that they had found the player and dvd's. YES, I couldn't believe it! Apparently, when the inital email was sent to the ship they looked under the date that we sailed (5/22) and not the date that the item was turned in (5/29). This I guess, caused some confusion on their end. Anyway, I am thrilled that they found it and don't need to worry about putting in a claim through our travel insurince

I am glad I pushed back on them to email the ship again and to contact the Head of Housekeeping. If I hadn't done that, it may not have ended back into our hands. I hope that this in some way helps anyone that has left an item on the ship to keep following up, as it just may show be found!

Thanks for reading and for everyone's replies from my earlier post....

Julie[/quote]
Awesome, so glad you are getting it back safely!

To the OP- I'm glad your lost item was found. I'm also glad that you did not contact RCI to complain about the Steward.

I think this, and the original thread, are a lesson to us all to keep careful track of our belongings, lock up valuables when cruising, and not to point fingers too quickly in such situations.

Archived