FOS vs. Allure

First time RCCL cruisers in need of advice. My family of four (with 2 kids aged 3 and 7) is trying to decide between FOS and Allure. I can get a great deal on Allure with lots of bells and whistles from AAA for just a little bit more money than it would cost to sail in the same category on FOS. The itinerary is the same. I'm wondering whether we are setting the bar too high for future cruises if we start out with Allure. Thoughts?

It is the difference of a large ship and a huge ship. I would also look at the fact of two different ports. Are you driving in? Are you flying in? What port would be best for you?

I am not a fan of large ships, though I am scheduled again to be on the Freedom in December. It is the port that I find easy to use. (Not to mention I am 5 miles away from it. ;) ). Port Canaveral is a joy to use. :D

First time RCCL cruisers in need of advice. I'm wondering whether we are setting the bar too high for future cruises if we start out with Allure. Thoughts?

I don't think you're setting the bar too high... just realize that each class of ships has special things about it. We have been on the Vision, Radiance, Voyager, and Oasis class, and our favorite is still probably the Voyager class. But that hasn't stopped us from booking the Enchantment again for 12 nights next January. Just enjoy each ship for what she has to offer. For example, even after being on the Allure 5 months ago, I'm looking forward to returning to the Enchantment to enjoy her expanded pool deck, the Oasis pool bar with awesome ocean views, the Jump Zone at the front of the ship, and lots of glass all around the ship to remind me that I'm at sea. :)

Enjoy the Allure... you will love her... she's an engineering marvel and absolutely gorgeous...

For a first RCCL cruise, I would choose Freedom. Allure is wonderful but really huge. However, as other posters have said a lot depends on how close you are to each port, air prices (if flying), etc. If flying you will have to rent a car to drive to from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

For the same money Allure for sure. We are pondering the same situation for our 2012 cruise but in this case the FOS is $200 total less and 1 hour drive as opposed to 3 1/2 hours. We will have been on both ships. Decisions, decisions, decisions.:)

Hands down the Allure for too many reasons to list. As far as setting the bar too high, well that is kind of silly, new ships are being built as we speak so the bar will always be raised. Five years from now people will say remember when the Oasis class was the best in all the land????

If you have not cruised Disney Dream or the soon to be released Disney Fantasy or NCL EPIC those will be a treat for your family as well.

After sailing Freedom last week, I am sure that I dont ever want to go on any ship larger than that.

While FOS was fabulous...We sorta "forgot" to go outside because we were so busy with the entertainment, activities and lectures. My guess is that Allure would be more intense!!

I think my favorite class is voyager class....Because I love the sea breeze in my hair and more traditional cruise amenities!!!!

I guess it is according to what you are looking for!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!

After sailing Freedom last week, I am sure that I dont ever want to go on any ship larger than that.

While FOS was fabulous...We sorta "forgot" to go outside because we were so busy with the entertainment, activities and lectures. My guess is that Allure would be more intense!!

I think my favorite class is voyager class....Because I love the sea breeze in my hair and more traditional cruise amenities!!!!

I guess it is according to what you are looking for!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!

Well, in my opinion, Allure is not more "intense" it just offers more options. You can have a Voyager class ship type experience on Allure if that is what you are looking for and you can have a completely different type of experience if you want. The way I see it, the more options on one ship the better the chances that everyone in the family is going to have a great time. I didn't find much difference between the Voyager and Freedom class ships. If you "forgot" to go outside then I would say the problem was more of a planning issue than anything to do with the ship. You can have the sea breeze in your hair on just about any ship.... including Oasis and Allure.

I'm looking at Freedom & Allure for Aug/Sept. Hubby likes to relax more on vacation instead of do this, do that, try to do everything. I'm afraid with Allure I'll feel like I have to try to do everything, everything that I want to do, and he'll end up not having an enjoyable vacation.

Allure is about $1000 more too, so I'm kind of torn. Allure/Oasis is on my bucket list but at the same time I want us both to have a nice vacation for our anniversary. We've been on the Voyager and Serenade recently and really liked the Voyager. Serenade didn't have enough to do and we missed the Promenade and the ice show (ports were great though).

For those that have been on both do you think it's worth the extra money if you don't plan to do as much of the activities? Does Freedom still have good nightly shows and comedy? Does Freedom have a Broadway style show or is that just Liberty?

Archived