Day trip from Piraeus with teens PLEASE HELP!!

jeanniedc

Hello. We will be on a Celebrity cruise to Eastern Med. in late July. Since our excursions will include Ephesus and possibly Pompeii, we don't want to "overdose" our teens on ruins. (unfortunately, that's just not their thing, even though they are 17 and 19) We decided not to go into central Athens for our one day in Piraeus. So here is the decision: to take the long trip to Delphi with some interesting non-ancient stops on the way, or to do a tour of Corinth/Pelopponnese/Nafplion, which is shorter, but sounds like we will see mostly ruins and ancient sites. (other than the Canal, of course).

I have a preference for Delphi, but (1) don't want to take any chance to miss the boat departure!, and (2) the 3 Greek guides that I've e-mailed seem to all be pointing away from going to Delphi in favor of the other locations.

Any comments are most welcome! Needless to say, with only one day in the region, I want it to be wonderful for all of us.

Thanks.

What other things were you thinking of doing in addition to Delphi? Because if Delphi itself is your main objective, it is quite a long drive and at the end of it Delphi, while lovely, is still another set of ruins. Given the choice between Delphi and the Acropolis, I'd have to pick the Acropolis every time, especially if your children haven't seen it before. And the new Acropolis museum knocks the socks off the Delphi museum.

So......if you have some other plans that might make the Delphi trip more interesting, that's one thing. Otherwise, I can't see making the trip for that alone.

Why not take the ferry over to Hydra & have a look at this beautiful Island,It's a great introduction to the greek islands .

We did the three islands day tour,but found Hydra to be the best.

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/hydra/index.html

Your photos are lovely aussie cruzer - Hydra looks beautiful! You mentioned a three island day tour - presumably taken from somewhere in the port of Piraeus. How long did this trip take? You also suggest taking the ferry across to Hydra - does that take long and are the ferries fairly frequent? This sounds like a really good plan for us, we've been to the Athens area quite a few times and it we're keen to find something new.

I was on a land tour of greece at the time,but i saw a lot of hydrofoils coming & going to the islands.

This is the tour i did.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Hydra-Poros-and-Egina-Day-Cruise-from-Athens/d496-3140_27

If you get a ferry or hydrofoil direct to Hydra ,it would make a great day out.

I'm sure there would be others here on cc ,who would have info on time tables to Hydra.

It is close to Athens & we could of spent the hole day here.It is a very special place .We didn't have the time to go out to the outer Islands ...so this was a great intro to the greek islands.

We later did Santorini fron Hal's Oosterdam .

Your photos are lovely aussie cruzer - Hydra looks beautiful! You mentioned a three island day tour - presumably taken from somewhere in the port of Piraeus. How long did this trip take? You also suggest taking the ferry across to Hydra - does that take long and are the ferries fairly frequent? This sounds like a really good plan for us, we've been to the Athens area quite a few times and it we're keen to find something new.

Looks like it's 51 euro return,Hydra is the second stop 1.5 hr to Hydra includes stop in poros.

First cat at 8.00 am ,8.30 am. 10 am

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

We are leaving in 5 days for our cruise, traveling with a 16 and 21 year old. Athens is one of the ports they are most excited about, in fact, my 21 year old researched and planned the whole day out for us. We are doing all the first time visit to Athens must see places.

I know what you mean about too many ruins. We are doing the volcano hike and Pompeii in Naples, in Ephesus we are doing the ruins with Terrace Houses, and in Rome, well all the first timer sights there as well.

We decided our non church non ruins days would be Santorini (walk around and take it all in, lunch in cafe and shops), Mykonos (beach), and Malta (jeep).

Looks like it's 51 euro return,Hydra is the second stop 1.5 hr to Hydra includes stop in poros.

First cat at 8.00 am ,8.30 am. 10 am

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209

Thanks again - very helpful. Looking forward to our next trip to Athens now - not that we have anything booked - but it never harms to have ideas buzzing!!!!! Quite a hobby gathering cruise info - and then the delight of putting it into action! :D

Another beautiful island would be Aegina. The hydrofoil takes only 40 min. from Piraeus, costs around 13 € and is on a walking distance from the cruise ships. We did this trip with our teens and it was appreciated as a nice change to Athens and its high temperatures!.

Some photos from Aegina can be seen here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565424890CLosBR

Screwcork

We decided not to go into central Athens for our one day in Piraeus.

Given the choice between Delphi and the Acropolis, I'd have to pick the Acropolis every time, especially if your children haven't seen it before. And the new Acropolis museum knocks the socks off the Delphi museum.

I can't imagine going to Athens and then skipping the Acropolis because you are afraid your children will be bored, especially if you haven't been there before. I have several children myself, and I understand how they are, but I just wouldn't give them a choice here.

If you think it would help, look into hiring a private guide who can make it interesting for them and bring it to life. Get there as early in the morning as you can. Then, take them through the Acropolis museum; you don't have to spend hours there.

Even if you skip the rest of Athens, you really should not miss this.

Thanks to all who replied. I don't think my kids would be bored with the Acropolis (!), but I am quite confident that they will be back in Athens someday, so I'd love to do something different on this trip. Plus I don't mind at all missing the trafiic and crowds in Athens. Since there are 3 other islands we'll be visiting, I'm not sure about going to another one, but I will definitely look into Hydra and Aegina. Looks very nice.

You might want to consider how you'll look back upon the trip in 5 years. Do you really want to say "wow - I was in Athens and did not visit the Acropolis, the National Archological Museum, and the Agora."

If on the other hand, you expect to return to Athens or Pompeii again in your lifetime - that's another matter.

The comment earlier about Acropolis and Pompeii being the similiar is in the judgement of the visitor. YMMV. While both are survivors from ancient times - they are entriely different experiences.

Keep in mind you have chosen a cruise of the ancient world.

The advice about Delphi being a long drive is true. Using google map you can get a sense of the distance, but be advice road trips in Greece are not as predictable as the US interstate.

What other things were you thinking of doing in addition to Delphi? Because if Delphi itself is your main objective, it is quite a long drive and at the end of it Delphi, while lovely, is still another set of ruins. Given the choice between Delphi and the Acropolis, I'd have to pick the Acropolis every time, especially if your children haven't seen it before. And the new Acropolis museum knocks the socks off the Delphi museum.

Ditto. IMHO the Acropolis is not just another ruin. With the Parthenon, Mars Hill and the Plaka there is plenty to see and do. Depending on the day you are in Pireaus, and the traffic, the trip each way to and from the Acropolis could take only 20 minutes (Sunday) or as long as 1-1 1/2 hours (any other day). We were there on a Sunday so it was the 20 minute commute for us.

Athen/The Acropolis is a much shorter commute time with plenty to see and do...

Jeanniedc,

Your post caught my attention as we just returned from an eastern Caribbean cruise with two teenagers in tow. And even more coincidental is that mind ate exactly the same age as yours, 17 and 19! To show the kids a glimpse of the ports, we did the do-it-yourself method for expeditions, except for Ephesis. I'll return back to that port topic in a bit, but regarding Athens, it wasn't just another ruin site, and my two liked the day as a whole...we walked the several blocks to the train station (there really isn't a grid pattern of streets near the port, I'm just using "blocks" to give an idea of the length of walk, about 20 minutes at a good pace), took the train to Monastiraki, about the 6th stop. Got off and walked 10 minutes to the entrance of ancient agora seeing the Acropolis up on the hill in the distance, very, very impressive site. Did a walk through, then up to Mars Hill, then the Acropolis. Once done, back around to the north side, repassing the place we exited ancient agora, to the "restuarant steps" at Mnisikleous Street. The kids reallly liked the food and the open air casual dining. Then into the downtown area for a short while, then back to the ship via the train. I did find Ariston pastry and Greek pie place, bought some for later snacking, they were wonderful. Anyway, everyone had a great day, we didn't go to the museums that so many people rave about, but, that's okay. As for Ephesus, the teens had seen enough ruins by that port, but had a great time at the shopping bazaar at the port bargaining for clothes, etc.

Another beautiful island would be Aegina. The hydrofoil takes only 40 min. from Piraeus, costs around 13 € and is on a walking distance from the cruise ships. We did this trip with our teens and it was appreciated as a nice change to Athens and its high temperatures!.

Some photos from Aegina can be seen here:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/565424890CLosBR

Screwcork

Loved looking at your photos. We will be doing a number of the same ports this fall and are looking for alteratives to the usual tours as we were to some ports a couple of years ago. Where was the beach located in Rhodes and how did you get there?

Loved looking at your photos. We will be doing a number of the same ports this fall and are looking for alteratives to the usual tours as we were to some ports a couple of years ago. Where was the beach located in Rhodes and how did you get there?

Hi,

Rhodes City is more or less surrounded by a beach, and is on a walking distance from the harbour. On a warm day you should take the western part since it's always blowing a breeze from the west on Rhodes!

Screwcork

• 3 weeks later...

Jeanie DC~

We just returned from our eastern Med cruise with 16 and 21 year old boys. In Naples we did Pompeii and we were going to hike the volcano, but it was so hot that day. Our tour guide (RIL) suggested Sorrento and Positano instead and it was my favorite day. RIL is spectacular.

We did the Ephesus ruins which were spectacular compared to Pompeii in my opinion. Make sure you include the Terrace Houses. Our tour was with ephesusdeluxedotcom and a bargain compared to RIL.

Athens was our next to last stop and my boys were not in the least worried about another day touring ruins. We were there on a Monday so the museum was closed, but honestly, I don't know how we would have fit it in. We booked a private tour with privategreecetoursdotcom and this was also a bargain compared to RIL prices. Drivers name was Alex. He took us to all the sights, timed the changing of the guards perfectly so we didn't have to wait around, was very mindful of how much time we could spend at each attraction. Gave us shopping and lunch time at the Plaka, and stopped at an amazing bakery for baklava before we headed back to the ship. Athens was amazing to see.

In my opinion, if you were to skip any of the ruins, I would consider Pompeii the one to skip (but I'm glad we didn't!)

Hello. We will be on a Celebrity cruise to Eastern Med. in late July. Since our excursions will include Ephesus and possibly Pompeii, we don't want to "overdose" our teens on ruins. (unfortunately, that's just not their thing, even though they are 17 and 19) We decided not to go into central Athens for our one day in Piraeus. So here is the decision: to take the long trip to Delphi with some interesting non-ancient stops on the way, or to do a tour of Corinth/Pelopponnese/Nafplion, which is shorter, but sounds like we will see mostly ruins and ancient sites. (other than the Canal, of course).

I have a preference for Delphi, but (1) don't want to take any chance to miss the boat departure!, and (2) the 3 Greek guides that I've e-mailed seem to all be pointing away from going to Delphi in favor of the other locations.

Any comments are most welcome! Needless to say, with only one day in the region, I want it to be wonderful for all of us.

Thanks.

You might reconsider avoiding Athens and those "ruins." I lived overseas when my children were teens and/or pre-teens. I discovered that visiting ancient sites did bore my Son, who was 7-10 years old. My Son is now 35 and has indicated that reflecting back, he appreciates that he was taken to the historical sites that we visited.

An appreciation for history is largely ignored in many schools these days. It is not a bad thing to encourage such an appreciation.

Archived