Why do you choose NCL? or not

vols_159

One HUGE reason.....

CCL stopped departing from Mobile, AL. In doing so CCL lost my allegiance if you will...which in turn opened my eyes/mind to the entire New Orleans market which includes not only CCL, but also RCCL and NCL! After that it was all itenerary. I didn't want to go back to Jamaica and Grand Cayman offered by RCCL after I had JUST been there in May...same for CCL....NCL offered FOUR ports of call AND two ports I've never been to.... So NCL here we come!

I would ALSO like to add that the NCL loyalist/past cruisers here on Cruise Critic have been AWESOME! Kind of convincing that NCL offers a really good product!

Editoral:

Don't EVER give your good customer a reason to even CONSIDER going elsewhere. The way I see it CCL lost an EASY $2500(cruise, excursions, alcohol/drinks, tips, misc) from little 'ol me by pulling cruise service from Mobile. NCL GAINS the same amount. Mobile, AL lost about an EASY $200.00 hotel/parking/food/etc and New Orleans, LA GAINED an EASY $300.00 for same service. This only for TWO cruisers. How many times does this happen..

Good question. With all the other lines having Any Time Dining, I really didn't see a big difference between Freestyle and what is offered on other lines. No real advantage there.

Sorry this is on the boo NCL side. :o

While other lines try to emulate Freestyle dining their version doesn't even come close. First, it isn't available to everyone and second it's a poor imitation (only from what I've read, YMVV). As I said in my earlier post, I've no interest in sailing "NCL lite" but from what I've been reading I may have to wait a while longer to try a "tradional" cruise, because so many are trying to copy Freestyle.

There's no need to apologize, I think everyone knows that NCL isn't for everyone.

I just wanted to start a thread about why you and your family love NCL.. Theres been alot of one post wonders lately (trolls) where they tell us all how bad ncl is.. Ill start off Ive been on 2 cruises (sky and sun) loved both and will book a 3rd ncl cruise in the near future I love the freestyle concept one reason I have no desire to dress up for anything especially while on vacation.. Ive had a blast on both my cruises The entertainment was good food was good and provided me the perfect chance to see places ive never had the chance to see before.. Plus they offer me the best bang for my buck ive researched different lines before booking both cruises and ncl was cheaper by at least 100$ and in one case $250 Thanks to all that reply

They are a reputable cruise line and one of the most popular. That is really it. I'm not a NCL loyalist but will defend the line from unfair, "One post wonders". I would likely do that on boards where I have never cruised the line. I like freestyle, had to adjust to it but might miss it when on other lines. I enjoy the cruise rewards which are a great bargain. I mention those items only because I read a couple responses. I would have main said that, I like to cruise whether it's Carnival, NCL, Royal or one of the others. :)

We cruised NCL once in the past. With all the smoking changes announced by the other cruise lines, NCL will now attract all the smokers. No thanks!

I am allergic to smoke and had a big problem on our last cruise with our balcony and jerky neighbor, so I called to ask them about the possibility of them following Princess and banning smoking in cabins and balconies and the impression I got was that it was coming.. DOUBLE YEAH!!!!!! :) She wouldn't say, "yes, we are going to do it" or give me a date, but it sounded like they have it in the works.. Hopefully by April of next year! :)

While other lines try to emulate Freestyle dining their version doesn't even come close. First, it isn't available to everyone and second it's a poor imitation (only from what I've read, YMVV). As I said in my earlier post, I've no interest in sailing "NCL lite" but from what I've been reading I may have to wait a while longer to try a "tradional" cruise, because so many are trying to copy Freestyle.

There's no need to apologize, I think everyone knows that NCL isn't for everyone.

In truth, I was commenting based on my experience. I've done My Time dining on both RCI and Celebrity and to be honest, it really wasn't much different. Now, again just being honest, I don't like how NCL only offers one show time (not talking about Epic). Other lines have 2 nightly show times to accommodate the main seatings, but those 2 show times allow more flexibility for the My Time dining guests also. In that respect, I think their method is better than NCL's.

But yea, the concept of Freestyle is NCL's innovation. They do have that going for them.

In truth, I was commenting based on my experience. I've done My Time dining on both RCI and Celebrity and to be honest, it really wasn't much different. Now, again just being honest, I don't like how NCL only offers one show time (not talking about Epic). Other lines have 2 nightly show times to accommodate the main seatings, but those 2 show times allow more flexibility for the My Time dining guests also. In that respect, I think their method is better than NCL's.

But yea, the concept of Freestyle is NCL's innovation. They do have that going for them.

the last cruise i was on in march NCL SUN.. there was 2 shows nighly 730 and 930

You might want to edit your comments since this apparently was specific to one ship you sailed on at some point.

The last 4 cruises I did over the last year with NCL ALL had 2 evening shows.

the last cruise i was on in march NCL SUN.. there was 2 shows nighly 730 and 930

You might want to edit your comments since this apparently was specific to one ship you sailed on at some point.

The last 4 cruises I did over the last year with NCL ALL had 2 evening shows.

Well, that's good to know. Like I said, I comment on experience, not hearsay, and my experience was one nightly show. I didn't know the Sky was an exception from the norm. I guess NCL is not consistent.

Well, that's good to know. Like I said, I comment on experience, not hearsay, and my experience was one nightly show. I didn't know the Sky was an exception from the norm. I guess NCL is not consistent.

Quite a change from your original comment. Perhaps some research would allow you to post facts.

I was on the Jewel of the Seas for a Baltic run in 2010 and there were nights where there was only one main show time.

I comment on experience, not hearsay, and my experience was one nightly show. I didn't know the Jewel of the Seas was an exception from the norm. I guess RCL is not consistent.

shrug.gif

i was wondering tho with the ANYTIME DINING or whatever the 'other' lines call their FREESTYLE dining if you could come dressed everynight of the cruise in the MDRs in RESORT CASUAL?

because if they still have a DRESS CODE then NCL FREESTYLE does it BETTER for us that like the CHOICE of DRESSING UP or NOT!!

Mobile, AL lost about an EASY $200.00 hotel/parking/food/etc and New Orleans, LA GAINED an EASY $300.00 for same service.

Unfortunately, Mobile has to suffer for Carnival's decision. Mobile wanted them to stay!

I've cruised twice on NCL out of Boston because I like their weekly Bermuda itineraries and because I live just 30 miles from the cruise terminal. No need to worry about plane tickets or hotels; just hop on the commuter rail and go.:)

I like the relaxed atmosphere on board and I think it's a great value for the money. While I also enjoy the formality of Cunard and P&O, sometimes I just want a quick and relaxing getaway from my home port of Boston without a lot of fuss, and NCL fits the bill nicely.

i was wondering tho with the ANYTIME DINING or whatever the 'other' lines call their FREESTYLE dining if you could come dressed everynight of the cruise in the MDRs in RESORT CASUAL?

because if they still have a DRESS CODE then NCL FREESTYLE does it BETTER for us that like the CHOICE of DRESSING UP or NOT!!

We were looking at doing an RCI cruise for our anniversary next year until plans changed so I spent some time on the RCI boards. They still have formal nights, but they have relaxed the standards so that suits and regular dresses are more common than tuxes and formal gowns. There's even a percentage of passengers that will push the limits even more (much to the chagrin of many RCI posters;)).

as the op i thank u for your comments and im sorry for the couple that attacked u.. i just wanted to geti peoples opionions thats all.. i dont dress up dont even own a monkey suit so ncl is perfect for me.. i do wanna ask 1 more question is a balcony cabin worth the extra $ compared to a inside room

I think a balcony suite is worth it if:

you like watching the water without having to fight for a chair anytime you like

you take the time to enjoy your extra space

if you like "fresh salt air" in your cabin

want to watch the day begin and ebb in your jammies

want to sun bathe without all the noise

I personally hate being in a "box" and need the fresh air or the cruise would be miserable for me.

I enjoy some quiet time while still having the pleasure of watching the water and scenery while in port without being annoyed by lots of activity and noise

HAVING said all that -:D

I can also go up on the decks when I am in my "social" mode :rolleyes:, reenergized by my quiet time and knowing if it gets too much I can head back to my window on the sea!

ENJOY!

as the op i thank u for your comments and im sorry for the couple that attacked u.. i just wanted to geti peoples opionions thats all.. i dont dress up dont even own a monkey suit so ncl is perfect for me.. i do wanna ask 1 more question is a balcony cabin worth the extra $ compared to a inside room

If you want a semi-private place all of your own to relax and enjoy the ocean view than yes, it's worth it. If you are just as happy to grab a lounger topside and use the savings for other things then probably not so much. (It also depends on the length of the cruise and how many sea days there are.)

Before my first NÇL cruise, I'd been on Celebrity and Hal. So what a surprise when I went up to the pool deck for sail away and people were have fun! and inviting me, an old lady, to join in the snake around the deck! And everywhere people would just talk to one another, standing in line, sitting waiting for the muster drill to begin. In other words, it was more friendly! And this meant the passengers had picked up the jibe from the crew from previous cruises. Because of this, you never hesitate to ask a question for fear of being embarrassed etc. And DH hates other lines because of formal nights. He loves NCL if he has to cruise. He doesn't want to cruise unless I force him. Usually cruise with DD who loves Celebrity, but immediately, upon boarding Pride of America, she was sold on NCL.

Going on a Princess cruise in 2 weeks to Alaska because the price was really right. One poster here didn't like Princess and I wondered why. Formal nights even with Anytime Dining? I'm going to take ONE pair of black wintery pants and a couple of fancy tops for dinner for 7 nights. I'm not trying to get attention from everyone. I don't want to pay a surplus baggage charge, either.

Going on a Princess cruise in 2 weeks to Alaska because the price was really right. One poster here didn't like Princess and I wondered why. Formal nights even with Anytime Dining? I'm going to take ONE pair of black wintery pants and a couple of fancy tops for dinner for 7 nights. I'm not trying to get attention from everyone. I don't want to pay a surplus baggage charge, either.

No matter what cruise line you choose is right for a certain vacation I wish you happy sailings! and come back and tell us or just me how your vacation was! I would love to sail to alaska but I live on the east coast and the extra money for flying just isnt in my budget right now.. I am young guy whose planning a wedding in the next year! Safe travels!

Unfortunately, Mobile has to suffer for Carnival's decision. Mobile wanted them to stay!

Yeah I know it... REALLY too bad.. GREAT places to park/cruise right there at the terminal....price not bad either. I'm crossing my fingers that NCL or RCCL will take their place. If not...New Orleans is only about a 6 hr 45 min drive vs. about an hour less to Mobile for me. I'm okay with that,

Freestyle dining is the key for DH and me. We also love that there are many dining venues to choose from for dinner. Of coarse, not all are included in the cruise fare but we don't mind paying the upcharge for the wonderful service, menus and food quality of the specialty restaurants.

When did that start? I've done several NCL cruises and there has always been two main shows every evening. Is this something new???

I originally chose NCL for its Freestyle, and after 4 cruises with them find no reason to try another line. There is no way we would want to dress for dinner, though I now see other lines are beginning to include some of the popular elements of Freestyle.

Not that I wouldn't consider another line in the future, but I guess it's a case of NCL assuring it's a good decision for me to keep returning. I am even thinking of purchasing two future cruise credits the next time instead of one. We're getting into the decade of our retirement, and cruising is the vacation of choice for me. (DH thinks he prefers other options, but I'm working on correcting that thinking! ;) )

NCL has never been anything but great for us, and we recently upgraded our next cruise to a suite, so here starts another addiction!

We developed a yen to see the inside passage, glaciers and some other bits of Alaska. NCL had the best deal going. We went on the Star in an inside cabin and had a marvelous experience. From our early correspondence to our arrival at the dock in Seattle to our welcome aboard and at most every turn thereafter, NCL worked hard to get us hooked and keep us hooked. Other lines offer various enticements, but so far not enough to seduce us away from the Norwegians.

Archived