Tablemate stories!

Petron

Friends of ours were on a Europe cruise several years ago and found one of their tablemates to be quite pretentious and "full" of herself. It got worse once she learned they were from West Virginia. At one point she asked, dripping with attitude,

"what DO you do in West Virginia?"

Our friend, gesturing toward his partner, replied "my family hauls his family's coal...."

Hilarious! :)

I too have to say that the Carol Burnett comment caused me to laugh so loud that I woke the neighbors!!

My husband and I were on our very first cruise and this older man was with his "niece" who nursed him back to health after a heart attack. Of course we looked at each other and gave "the look".

Well 6 days later he comes out to us, the girl IS his niece and he has a boy toy waiting for him back at home. We laughed for years after that.

Our second cruise was all straight people and we had the best time. We laughed so loud for seven days that other people moved.

With that said, I am glad that with Princess you don't have to have assigned seating. I don't feel likes playing table roulette seeing if we will be "accepted". We find the great people on the ship elsewhere to hang with. We have diner just the two of us.

We have always had great luck with our table mates. On our first cruise, we did select dining so we could get a table by ourselves if we were uncomfortable. Never happened and we met some great people.

On our transatlantic cruise, we were seated at a table for 8 with another gay couple we met on the first cruise and a couple from Florida (I know that only makes six, but the other couple did not show that night). It turned out that the female member of the straight couple had the "All I Can Drink" Package and her husband was big on a bottle or two of wine with dinner. They had been in the bar before dinner and were both pretty sloshed and a little loud. Once dinner was over, our waiter asked us if we wanted to have them moved to another table. We decided to wait and see what happened the next night before making any changes. The next night started with the addition of another gay couple to the table (3 gay couples and one straight at this point). The straight couple first apologized for the prior evening and we all had a great cruise together.

We have never asked to be seated at a table for two since then. I think we would have missed some of the interaction and the chance to meet people from very different places and backgrounds.

We've met some wonderful people over the years, and have stayed in touch with many of them(today is my birthday, and I have received at least a dozen calls and E-mails from cruise friends). We did a crossing a few years ago, and had a table of eight with three couples we met on three separate cruises. We asked each couple to bring on a case of wine- each person was responsible for the wine for one of the nights of the eight night trip. People brought two reds, two whites, and a dessert wine, plus a sparkling wine or two for good measure. We happily paid the corkage fees, and the head wine steward stopped by each night to taste the wines- even arranged for Reidel glasses after a particularly fun evening in the specialty restaurant. We'd obviously been drinking "at a pace" all cruise. The last night, the wine steward placed all the corks from all the nights in the center of the table. We were sell laughing about that, when the maitre d' came over, saying people were complaining....about the fumes! It was great, we invited all three couples to our wedding, and talk weekly. All from meeting on three different cruises.

And don't ask about smuggling wine onboard...not sure how we did it, but we did pay more in corkage than anyone they'd ever seen!

Andrew

With the exception of 1 cruise, we've never had issues with tablemates. Got my parnter of 28 years hooked on cruising back in the 1990's.

Anymore, we get a table for two just so we can have our own quiet conversations. Our first table for two was a number of years ago on Majesty of the Seas. Right behind me was a table for six and my partner kept saying everyone was turning around to look at us off an on. I finally heard the woman directly behind me say in a low voice "they must be somebody important or famous. I've never been on a ship with two men sitting together at dinner. I wonder who they are". I giggled the rest of the time at dinner and told my partner afterwards what had happened. We had a good laugh that night.

We were also seated once at a table for 4 with a couple from Idaho who were on their honeymoon. As the meal progressed they asked how we knew each other and I told them we were a couple. They were fascinated with the fact we were gay, asking all sorts of questions. The wife said they've heard of gay people but did not know any. We hung out together the rest of the cruise and still keep in touch.

We've met some wonderful people over the years, and have stayed in touch with many of them(today is my birthday, and I have received at least a dozen calls and E-mails from cruise friends). We did a crossing a few years ago, and had a table of eight with three couples we met on three separate cruises. We asked each couple to bring on a case of wine- each person was responsible for the wine for one of the nights of the eight night trip. People brought two reds, two whites, and a dessert wine, plus a sparkling wine or two for good measure. We happily paid the corkage fees, and the head wine steward stopped by each night to taste the wines- even arranged for Reidel glasses after a particularly fun evening in the specialty restaurant. We'd obviously been drinking "at a pace" all cruise. The last night, the wine steward placed all the corks from all the nights in the center of the table. We were sell laughing about that, when the maitre d' came over, saying people were complaining....about the fumes! It was great, we invited all three couples to our wedding, and talk weekly. All from meeting on three different cruises.

And don't ask about smuggling wine onboard...not sure how we did it, but we did pay more in corkage than anyone they'd ever seen!

Andrew

Those were the "good ole days" when we could bring a case of wine onboard. It was so much fun! I think all the other passengers were jealous of the attention our gang were receiving. A cruise to remember!!

Those were the "good ole days" when we could bring a case of wine onboard. It was so much fun! I think all the other passengers were jealous of the attention our gang were receiving. A cruise to remember!!

What do you mean by the good old days? Our cruises on the Princess out of FLL we took a case of wine aboard. We taped the box clearly marked as coming from a winery, put our luggage tag on it and handed it to the porter along with our luggage. It showed up in our stateroom without any problem along with our luggage. We drank them on the balcony every night (10 day cruises) so we did not pay the corkage fee. On our first two Princess cruises though we did take them to the MDR and paid the fee. Perhaps on our next cruise on the Emerald we will take some to the MDR.

I think she's referring to way back in 2008! ;) We did several cruises together where we brought cases of wine on board, and, like you, had no issues, including the infamous Halloween cruise, where we dressed as the cast of Gilligan's Island. Only the "good ole days because we haven't been able to cruise together recently. :(

What do you mean by the good old days? Our cruises on the Princess out of FLL we took a case of wine aboard. We taped the box clearly marked as coming from a winery, put our luggage tag on it and handed it to the porter along with our luggage. It showed up in our stateroom without any problem along with our luggage. We drank them on the balcony every night (10 day cruises) so we did not pay the corkage fee. On our first two Princess cruises though we did take them to the MDR and paid the fee. Perhaps on our next cruise on the Emerald we will take some to the MDR.

Princess allows this. Most other cruise lines no longer do.

I think she's referring to way back in 2008! ;) We did several cruises together where we brought cases of wine on board, and, like you, had no issues, including the infamous Halloween cruise, where we dressed as the cast of Gilligan's Island. Only the "good ole days because we haven't been able to cruise together recently. :(

Who could EVER forget Halloween! And to think we only placed 2nd in the costume contest! Pure robbery.

The "wine rules" on Celebrity are quite a bit stringent now. Only 2 bottles per cabin now. The "good ole days" was my reference to the old lax policy.

Hi There!-I was just browsing CC and came across this. I am a straight female who went on my first cruise with another straight female. Our dinner mates were 3 couples (all straight) and they were all on their honeymoons. So....the joke was that we were all "couples" and at dinner when we had our photos taken instead of saying "cheese" we would all say "strap-on". Just thought I would share my story

Our story is a little different... My husband and I embarked on a HAL cruise. Just before we boarded, our 17 year old son bravely came out to us. We were pretty surprised, though we tried to keep our reaction minimal.

We spent a good portion of the cruise just processing this information. At lunch on the third day we had the good fortune of being seated with a gay couple. We explained our situation and they were really forthcoming with their own stories. We shared several meals together and I will always be grateful to them for their kindness and honesty. They were exactly the perfect people for us to meet and the exact moment we needed to meet them.

It was on that cruise, we were able to set some goals as parents to help our son. Our first goal is that our son have the MOST boring coming out story EVER.:) This was a couple of years ago. Just recently, he complained to us that all of his friends have such "interesting" stories to tell. When it is his turn, he says the only thing he can share is that his parents hugged him and said they loved him and that "no matter what, he will always be safe at home." (He says that part with the searing sarcasm that only a 19 year old can master...)

Thanks to each of you for sharing your stories. And to our friends from Utah, thank you for really being there for us.

BTW- as a straight person... I apologize for anyone from that community who has been rude to you. Shame on them. They were probably raised by wolves!

Our story is a little different... My husband and I embarked on a HAL cruise. Just before we boarded, our 17 year old son bravely came out to us. We were pretty surprised, though we tried to keep our reaction minimal.

We spent a good portion of the cruise just processing this information. At lunch on the third day we had the good fortune of being seated with a gay couple. We explained our situation and they were really forthcoming with their own stories. We shared several meals together and I will always be grateful to them for their kindness and honesty. They were exactly the perfect people for us to meet and the exact moment we needed to meet them.

It was on that cruise, we were able to set some goals as parents to help our son. Our first goal is that our son have the MOST boring coming out story EVER.:) This was a couple of years ago. Just recently, he complained to us that all of his friends have such "interesting" stories to tell. When it is his turn, he says the only thing he can share is that his parents hugged him and said they loved him and that "no matter what, he will always be safe at home." (He says that part with the searing sarcasm that only a 19 year old can master...)

Thanks to each of you for sharing your stories. And to our friends from Utah, thank you for really being there for us.

BTW- as a straight person... I apologize for anyone from that community who has been rude to you. Shame on them. They were probably raised by wolves!

And thank you for sharing your wonderful story!

On our second cruise together as a couple, we arrived at our table the first night. It was a table for eight with one elderly couple already sitting there. We sat across from them, leaving room for a couple on our left and one on our right. No one else showed up. So it was just us and Fred and Ethyl. They were boring. If one of us asked what they had enjoyed that day, they'd reply "nothing." Fortunately, it was only a four-night cruise. Otherwise, we would have asked to be moved.

We've since had several other tablemates the same age range as Fred and Ethyl, and they have all been wonderful. One couple had two gay sons who had both died, so they adopted us and still keep in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for YOUR great story, too!

I've cruised twice.

1st time was 2009 and it was our first cruise and were very unsure of what it was all about. We felt very uncomfortable with the idea of dining with strangers incase they were upset with us being a couple, and I didn't want any awkwardness. Like I said, it was our first cruise so we didn't want to ruin it. Instead we never ate in the dining room, only at the Windjammer, Johnny rockets and a specialty restaurant.

My 2nd cruise we cruised with my Parents and we had a table for four so it was just the family.

My 3rd cruise is in November, and we're cruising out of Texas....This should be interesting. Mom and Dad will be with us again so perhaps we'll get another table for four.

I have no issue with being Gay, and I don't want people to think I'm going to hide it. I just like to avoid potential awkward situations.

so far we have never had a problem.We have become steadfast friends with some couple we have met on cruise and infact will be sailing with our favorite couple from Kentucky!! We met them on a ship in Europe which has led to two reunion meetings with about 20-24 of us! Times have certainly changed!

so far we have never had a problem.We have become steadfast friends with some couple we have met on cruise and infact will be sailing with our favorite couple from Kentucky!! We met them on a ship in Europe which has led to two reunion meetings with about 20-24 of us! Times have certainly changed!

They really have and for the good.

At our table on the QM2 during the last segment of a 25 night crossing + cruise last Fall, the first night two women came to our table of eight, slapped their purses on the table and said, "We're looking for men!". Other than my husband and mom, there were two straight British couples, one very proper and the other a retired exotic dancer and her boyfriend. The retired exotic dancer looked over at my partner and me and I said, "Sorry. He and I are a couple.". Her mouth dropped open so far I could see her tonsils and she kept saying, "No! You don't look gay!" (whatever that means) At any event, we had a good enough time at our table and one of the women looking for a man became a friend of mom's. All part of the fun of traveling!

Archived