Grand or Ruby which to choose ?

kruzin'

:)we have been on the Grand already but never on the Ruby.. since the Grand is just out of drydock we are curious to see the improvements....however, the Ruby is sailing to similar ports...what is you opinion? For this cruise the ship is the vacation not the ports since we have been to those being visited on both sailings

Personal preference. We've been on both ships. But if the ports were the same and there was enough time to get all the left-over kinks worked through after the drydock, we probably want to experience the new Grand makeover.

I would choose the Grand. I would like to see the changes in the ship since coming out of drydock. I am not crazy about the Ruby or her sister ships (Crown, Emerald), because of the Riviera deck (extra 500 passengers with the addition of this deck and no additional public space). I found the Crown too crowded.

We were on the Grand in Jan. before the drydock and on the TA immediately after the drydock and the cabins were not addressed in the drydock and many are in very bad shape.I would never book the Grand till the cabins are rehabbed!They have also removed the blue matting from the balconys which now are dirty and don't drain as before.The result is a pool of dirty water.The balcony furniture is also stained and dirty and the tables are filthy.Beware of the Grand!

I was on the 3rd and 4th cruises on the Grand after drydock.

Having met and spoken to many people there were no complaints at all regarding condition of cabins. Blue matting has been removed certainly from the aft cabin balconies. I did hear that there had been some problems caused by the matting being there, causing water to build up under them, not draining or evapourating. Removing the matting at least allowing any lying water to get evapourated. The balcony floor was washed/cleaned each day by the cabin steward.

The balcony furniture that I had in 2 different cabins was all clean.

There are no major kinks left from the drydock. All that is going on now is the standard daily painting, varnishing etc that has always been done.

I would be back on the Grand tomorrow if I could.

I was on the 3rd and 4th cruises on the Grand after drydock.

Having met and spoken to many people there were no complaints at all regarding condition of cabins. Blue matting has been removed certainly from the aft cabin balconies. I did hear that there had been some problems caused by the matting being there, causing water to build up under them, not draining or evapourating. Removing the matting at least allowing any lying water to get evapourated. The balcony floor was washed/cleaned each day by the cabin steward.

The balcony furniture that I had in 2 different cabins was all clean.

There are no major kinks left from the drydock. All that is going on now is the standard daily painting, varnishing etc that has always been done.

I would be back on the Grand tomorrow if I could.

Having spent 30 nights in D727 this year and speaking to many other passengers they must have done some major improvements to the cabins since we disembarked.

I would choose the Grand. I would like to see the changes in the ship since coming out of drydock. I am not crazy about the Ruby or her sister ships (Crown, Emerald), because of the Riviera deck (extra 500 passengers with the addition of this deck and no additional public space). I found the Crown too crowded.

I agree. And have chosen the Grand for my next Caribbean cruise because of this.

We were on the Grand in Jan. before the drydock and on the TA immediately after the drydock and the cabins were not addressed in the drydock and many are in very bad shape.I would never book the Grand till the cabins are rehabbed!

Cabins are often updated during the regular cruise schedule, not always during dry dock. Dry docks often do the big stuff. I can't tell you the number of times in which our carpet has been replaced while in port on a cruise. Same with mattresses, televisions, etc....

For example, on the Sapphire this year, all the televisions were replaced during the regular cruise schedule (unfortunately they started the week after our cruise). I have also seen at the pier hundreds of mattresses being loaded on the ship. So cabin maintenance can be done with out a wet/dry dock.

To me it is amazing how anyone in their right mind would chose the Ruby or any of it's sisters over a refurbished Grand. Tell me why and what research you have done.

I didn't have to do research. I have been on both (the Grand before and after the conversion) and I would pick the Ruby . Guess I'm not in my right mind after 17 cruises

I didn't have to do research. I have been on both (the Grand before and after the conversion) and I would pick the Ruby . Guess I'm not in my right mind after 17 cruises

Let me join you. ;)

Plus the Ruby has one production show that the Grand doesn't - Once upon a Dream.

I agree but why would you pick the Ruby over the Grand? Certainly not because of space ratio.

Let me join you. ;)

Plus the Ruby has one production show that the Grand doesn't - Once upon a Dream.

It is possible by the time the OP sails, the Grand will have that production show. It usually premieres on one ship but the rest eventually get it.

Have yet to sail on the Grand But have sailed the Ruby. With the exception of the extra deck (Riviera) with the very narrow PH balconies, I love the Ruby. Only crowd issues I experienced were in the Princess theater.

Bob

I agree but why would you pick the Ruby over the Grand? Certainly not because of space ratio.

There are other reasons to select a ship on which to cruise, you know. I think that poor horse has been beat to death by now; let's not get PETA on our backs.

OP, I'd go with the Grand because I'd be really interested to see the unique additions she received in drydock, plus my personal main reason for not choosing her and her twins over their big sisters (assuming same itinerary, etc.) has been removed: Skywalker's, which shaded the aft pool and left really only one pool/pool area out in the sun -- and that's the one with MUTS [yuck]. So the Grand is now a great choice in my eyes, although I'd miss the spacious piazza and Adagio and its aft seating area on the Ruby. Really, both are good choices -- can't go wrong!

It is possible by the time the OP sails, the Grand will have that production show. It usually premieres on one ship but the rest eventually get it.

It's been on the Ruby for years & if they didn't update the stage for it when it was recently in dry dock it'll probably never be on that ship.

It's been on the Ruby for years & if they didn't update the stage for it when it was recently in dry dock it'll probably never be on that ship.

We were told when I first sailed on the Coral Princess - that that class of ships had a unique stage and a specific show would only be performed on those 2 ships (Coral and Island). It later made it to the other ships, slightly altered but the show did get performed on the older ships. I know there were differences but they were easily forgotten.

On the other hand, I am not going to pick the ship by the production shows. Heck, with my luck on the Crown - I couldn't even get a seat to any of their production shows showing up 30 minutes in advance. Way too crowded for my taste.

We were told when I first sailed on the Coral Princess - that that class of ships had a unique stage and a specific show would only be performed on those 2 ships (Coral and Island). It later made it to the other ships, slightly altered but the show did get performed on the older ships. I know there were differences but they were easily forgotten.

On the other hand, I am not going to pick the ship by the production shows. Heck, with my luck on the Crown - I couldn't even get a seat to any of their production shows showing up 30 minutes in advance. Way too crowded for my taste.

We've see every show that Princess has numerous times so we really don't go any longer but it has been a while since we've seen Once Upon a Dream. I don't have any problem getting to the show lounge very early & either read or watch a movie waiting for the show.

Been on Crown and soon to go on Ruby. On Crown we took 2nd traditional sitting in MDR, finish dinner around 10pm and into second show, no problems, always got a seat.

But I know the seating for first show, early dinners was at a premium, such is life on the mega ships, 700 seat theatres with 3000 pax on board, even with two performances nightly, only half the pax can see the show, hence the same shows often running for two nights.

Apparently I'm not in my right mind, but I'd go with Ruby having sailed them both (that said, love both). Just a prettier ship throughout, starting with the detail and fittings in the piazza.

Production shows and the cast on Ruby are fabulous.... all the way down to the in-cabin programs showing interviews and behind the scenes footage specific to the new Ruby cast.

Love, love, love Adagio and would miss it... plus a much better space for Sabatini's and the Crown Grill... and I never felt the crowds. Not a bit.

Also, I prefer the vibe and layout of Club Fusion to the Vista Lounge... totally different room on Grand.

That said, I love the Grand.. booked on her for a third time over Christmas... but I don't think it's fair to say I'm crazy for liking the Ruby. :)

Been on Crown and soon to go on Ruby. On Crown we took 2nd traditional sitting in MDR, finish dinner around 10pm and into second show, no problems, always got a seat.

But I know the seating for first show, early dinners was at a premium, such is life on the mega ships, 700 seat theatres with 3000 pax on board, even with two performances nightly, only half the pax can see the show, hence the same shows often running for two nights.

Make that three night for the productions shows in the last few years on most Princess ships.

To me it is amazing how anyone in their right mind would chose the Ruby or any of it's sisters over a refurbished Grand. Tell me why and what research you have done.

It is called personal preference and why they have different style ships in the fleet. Not everyone likes the same thing.

We've see every show that Princess has numerous times so we really don't go any longer but it has been a while since we've seen Once Upon a Dream. I don't have any problem getting to the show lounge very early & either read or watch a movie waiting for the show.

The problem is that I have early sitting and by the time I get done with dinner, it is too late to get a seat in the show (by that time people are sitting on the stairs (fire hazard?!). I then try the Explorer's Lounge and people are standing outside of the theatre trying to get a seat there. I am not going to goof off for 2 hours for the late show so I just end up skipping it. Never had a problem on ships with out the extra deck.

Archived