Former cruisers on Golden in Alaska: best glacier viewing area?

flashdog_1

I think there's a place on the aft of deck 12? that might be good, or do they let you out on the bow of the ship? We have an inside, so won't be able to run out on our balcony! I want a place where we'll be able to hear the Park Ranger speak.

You can view anywhere from the Promenade deck, which goes all the way around, although forward you have to go up the stairs to the Emerald deck. It is covered, in case of rain it is a good place to be, not near as crowded or obstructed as decks above. You should be able to hear the ranger anywhere on deck or in the public areas. EM

We had a balcony but still used the promenade deck some. In front of the Vista Lounge, you can go to either side easily depending on what you hear is happening on the announcements. It wasn't crowded, either.

Promenade deck is always good if it's sprinkling! And also close to the warmth of indoors, and also close for scooting to the other side of the ship. I remember being on the pool deck of the first cruise ship I took to Alaska and it was quite different from just seeing one side at a time! There was the whole 360° vista! But it did get very cold, and we'd miss the commentary if we went indoors.

What about booking half a day spa pass (what is it called to book the lounge area with vista of the outdoors)? Is that a good, warm option? Is the viewing restricted there?

So, do they allow passengers on the bow (is it a heliport?), and is viewing good from aft deck 12, or is that too enclosed? Thanks

Promenade deck is always good if it's sprinkling! And also close to the warmth of indoors, and also close for scooting to the other side of the ship. I remember being on the pool deck of the first cruise ship I took to Alaska and it was quite different from just seeing one side at a time! There was the whole 360° vista! But it did get very cold, and we'd miss the commentary if we went indoors.

So, do they allow passengers on the bow (is it a heliport?), and is viewing good from aft deck 12, or is that too enclosed? Thanks

No heliports on any Princess ship. The Grand-class ships are unique in that the Promenade deck goes up one level and around the bow of the ship. I would think it would be a great viewing platform on scenic cruising days.

Here's a picture of the bow of Star Princess, the Golden Princess' sister.

1475088736_d9f06afee0_z.jpg

St.Thomas by RickEk, on Flickr

Now that I've read 3 days of Golden's Patters, I realize the name for the place in the spa I was wondering about is the Sanctuary. Pls give me your opinion about it's being a good place or not, for glacier viewing.

I cannot tell from the Captain's log in the Patters if Golden goes West of Vancouver Island or E of Vancouver, in the inside passage. If it's inside passage I'll be getting up in the middle of the night to see the beauty. It says he veers starboard and then takes a NW course. Can anyone tell me? Thanks

Now that I've read 3 days of Golden's Patters, I realize the name for the place in the spa I was wondering about is the Sanctuary. Pls give me your opinion about it's being a good place or not, for glacier viewing.

If you look at the picture that I posted, the Sanctuary is located at the top of the ship in the dome-like structure above the bridge that is ringed with blue windows. I would think that the blue windows would be a hindrance to glacier viewing... a much better place would be the bridge wings for a completely unobstructed view.

We spent most of our glacier time on deck 16 aft; you can go from side to side easily, when the ship turns. We also went up on deck 17 around the basketball court -- great views from there, but some background noise from the engines.

As far as hearing the ranger talk over the PA, you can hear that fine anywhere outside, but when you are actually "parked" in front of the glacier, they don't talk. They preserve the peace and quiet at that point.

When we were on the Golden for glacier viewing we spent the majority of our time just outside the windows of the salon in the forward section of the ship. We could then easily go up the stairs for the full forward view. We were lucky and were right in front of Sawyer glacier (did the Tracey Arm itin). I thought it was a great location and got some really good pictures.

Everyone goes up to Deck 14 or Deck 16.

I prefer the Promenade deck (Deck 7). There is always space and you are lower which I think is better from a photography stand point. You can also go from side to side easily (through the ship near the photo area) or around the ship on the promenade deck.

I cannot tell from the Captain's log in the Patters if Golden goes West of Vancouver Island or E of Vancouver, in the inside passage. If it's inside passage I'll be getting up in the middle of the night to see the beauty. It says he veers starboard and then takes a NW course. Can anyone tell me? Thanks

We were on the Golden to Alaska in May. The course was to the west of Vancouver Island.

We were on the Golden to Alaska in May. The course was to the west of Vancouver Island.

Thanks. So I guess that means the seas will be rougher than going on the east side like we've done before out of Vancouver (smooth as glass with beautiful island viewing all night).

The ship goes straight into the Tracy Arm Glacier, stops, and does a complete turn around and comes back out. The stay at the glacier is about an hour time for many views. We had a Suite and had the Glacier Special Breakfast on the Deck as did a bunch of folks all cheering the view. Yes you can hear the Park Ranger from your room and all public areas. I took three pictures of the Glacier and spliced them together with Photoshop and printed it out. Really fantastic view. It was not really cool and since the ship was stopped and turning there was no wind.

I prefer the promenade deck which is deck 7. Not too many people there. You can move from side to side easily and hear the ranger. Its a little cooler than the upper decks 14 and 15, so dress in layers and dress warm.

I like being closer to the water and its easier to take good pictures of the sea lions on the iceburgs when you are closer to the water. Also, everyone is on decks 14 and 15 so that area gets crowded.

Also, you can check out blankets from deck 14 for your lap and bring them down to deck 7.

Yes, the crew pool and two hot tubs too!

We were on the Star in the Baltic and didn't notice this pool. Can you see it from the Promenade deck?

There are three decks between the crew's pool and the bridge. My guess is that only one of these is accessible by passengers.

Which of the decks in the picture is deck 7, Promenade?

I agree with RickEk. The Santuary is not a very good place to see Glacier Bay. The windows are slanted and tinted. Plus, on Glacier Bay day, the Golden Princess charges a whopping $70 to use the Sanctuary.

I think there's a place on the aft of deck 12? that might be good, or do they let you out on the bow of the ship? We have an inside, so won't be able to run out on our balcony! I want a place where we'll be able to hear the Park Ranger speak.
Just got off the Golden Princess yesterday. There are plenty of excellent places to view the Glaciers, and the scenery in general. The area above the Bridge was open all day, and has excellent viewing. Another great place is above the Tradewinds Bar on Deck 15. You'll see a curved staircase on either side of the bar. It takes you up to a fabulous place to see Glacier Bay. Also, any place on Deck 15 is good. There's plenty of open viewing thoughout that entire deck. I spent the whole day outside, wandering from place to place on the ship.

We were on the Star in the Baltic and didn't notice this pool. Can you see it from the Promenade deck?

There are three decks between the crew's pool and the bridge. My guess is that only one of these is accessible by passengers.

Which of the decks in the picture is deck 7, Promenade?

In the picture, the "upper" Promenade is that walkway that you can see all the way forward that wraps-around the bow (the duck's beak as some say). It is actually on Emerald deck, because there are stairs on either side that take you up one deck from the actual Promenade deck.

And none of those three decks that you see between the crew's pool and the bridge are accessible by passengers on Grand-class vessels (except for the Diamond/Sapphire Princess which actually have passenger cabins there...)

The crew's pool would only be visible from the bridge wings...

I think we were up on the very top, there were two hot tubs. The view was great where we were. We started out on our balcony and then went up and it was much better. The glaciers are so amazing, don't miss them.

Honestly, after just getting off the Golden I was disappointed with glacier bay. I thought there would be more to see. I watched from the deck for awhile and then my balcony. When they got to the end of the bay they stayed in one position for awhile then turned the ship around and sat there awhile so the other side had a good view. If you stayed on your balcony, you saw one side going in and the other side going out.

Archived