Western Caribbean Cruise

kenpyland

How come everybody has good things to say about Grand Cayman and Cozumel but not Montego Bay? I would have thought that Jamaica would be a favorite desitination. What am I missing?

Signed... first time cruiser

I like Montego Bay and have walked in the last two times. People there can be pushy around the port, so just get away from the port. Im going to another port there, on Oasis in a couple of months and looking forward to seeing the countryside and Dunns River Falls.

Caymans is right there when you get off the tender, but Montego Bay is about a mile and a half walk each way or you can get the $15 hop on hop off bus.

Im kinda bored with Cozumel to be honest, as every ship goes there.

How come everybody has good things to say about Grand Cayman and Cozumel but not Montego Bay? I would have thought that Jamaica would be a favorite desitination. What am I missing?

Signed... first time cruiser

We loved Montego Bay, we just took a shuttle downtown and walked around, ate, drank and shopped. The people are extremely friendly, although they will ask if you want to buy some ganja but a simple no thank you and they leave you alone. We also did a snorkel party catamarran excursion...total blast!!

we loved 'MoBay" and look forward to returning, never had a problem with the "pushy" vendors, i think it might be the 'tude that you cruise with...cozumel has been visited many times, and each time i find something else to like about the little place...going there in a few months and looking forward to it!

I had a blast in Montego Bay, and I'm looking forward to returning. One of the reasons I decided to cruise the Magic this January instead of whichever ship RCL is moving in (Mariner, I think) is I'd rather go back to Mo Bay than go to Falmoth.

I would venture to guess that half of the people who slam Montego Bay and vow to stay on the ship have never gotten off the ship there. Fine... more beach for me!

I just returned from a week in MoBay, my second land stay there in 3 yrs. My 1st was the week in 2008 when Usain Bolt was running in the Olympics and capturing the gold - lots of great Olympic nationalistic fever then, like America when the hockey team beat the Russians in 1980. Obviously, I like the place, specifically its beaches, food, language and activities.

Someone just having a few hours in port, intent on shopping, may not have my experience - all they might encounter are a bunch of poor vendors hungry for a sale. I watched Doctor's Cave Beach fill up with day cruisers and vendors on port day (Wed), it was like sharks and baitfish, a feeding frenzy. The rest of the week, it was quiet and unassuming.

Some cruisers base their opinion of an island on the area adjacent to the dock.....For me, I've always found this to be the worst way to judge an island. For this reason, I can't stand the cookie cutter shopping malls or corrals that CCL herds its cruisers into at Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Just for me, I have to get out and about and see a hidden beach or waterfall, eat some local food and talk with some locals before I can develop a sense of what that particular port is all about.

I love Jamaica. I have stated on here before that it reminded me of Hawaii, only a little dirtier. Boy did I get flamed. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. If you leave the port area, you will see that it is beautiful.

Well I agree with you about Hawaii .. Now if you stay by the ports .. No way

I had the pleasure of doing a land based vacation and went for tour on the island. Kingston to blue montain plantation and to port royal

The interior reminded me of the interior of the big island too

Most people don't see that part of both jamaica of Hawaii

This will be our first cruise, but we have taken land based vacations to both Maui and Jamaica.

No way did Maui remind me of Jamaica!

I don't like to be critical of anyplace we have visited. I will just say that I cannot wait to return to Maui next summer! Nuff said!!

The island is beautiful - it's the people.

Many are so poor that they are beyond pushy!

I have seen locals walk along side some vacationers and try to be friendly by asking their name. All the while, carving their name into pieces of wood. When they're done, the shove the wood in the vacationers face and demand money.

I have also heard friends say they have had their hands grabbed by little kids and quickly had bracelets placed on their wrists. Once again, demanding money.

If Carnival would make a private pier where only approved vendors could come in, I would visit the island......but not in it's current condition.

We visited Jamaica on our very first cruise. Before we arrived, we were warned by the cruise ship staff during a port meeting to be very careful, to not do this, and to not do that, don't take private taxis, don't talk to strangers, etc.

We did everything they told us not to do and had a blast. Common sense goes a long way wherever you go.

When we were on Voyager this past January, since Falmouth was not ready, our itinerary was changed to MoBay! I'd read so many bad things about Jamaica that I was not looking forward to it at all!

Surprise! We booked a day pass at Sunset Beach Resort and it was one of our best excursions we've ever done! We were not bothered by anybody selling things on the beach and everything about our day here was just perfect! If we ever go back to MoBay, I'd head back to Sunset Beach again :D

Yes Jamaica is a very beautiful island. You need to get out of the port. We spent a week in Jamaica back in 2003 and had one of the best excursions ever. We did the Blue Mountain Bike Tour. There we were able to truly enjoy the interior beauty of the island. I recommend this tour to everyone I know that is going to Jamaica for a land based vacation.

Hubby and I were there in May. Our excursion was great and I loved it. We had extra time so we wandered around downtown. I hated it. Pushy does not begin to desribe it.

I grew up without a lot of extra money. I never went without but a lot of my clothes came from garage sales, had store brand food, etc. I say that because I'm not afraid of what some may call "poor people" in the US or anywhere else. I don't feel unsafe simply because I'm around people that are less fortunate than me. They are still people! That being said, I felt unsafe in downtown MoBay.

I did not wear any jewelry whatsoever and hubby and I did not draw attention to ourselves in any way. So it's not like we were dressed to the nines and flashing diamond jewelry. There were several vendors that didn't take a polite "no, thank you" like previous posters have said. Some followed us around and wouldn't stop. Two men approached us and one pulled my arm in one direction and the other pulled my husband's arm in another direction, separating us. I was being directed into an unknown building and he was being directed into an alley! No way! They were not trying to sell us anything. They didn't even say anything to us. Just grabbed and pulled. We broke free and jumped a few steps ahead.

Most of the vendors were polite and just fine. The few that weren't really scared me and they spoiled the whole experience for me. You know that saying about a few bad apples spoil the barrel. I'd definitely go back to Jamaica but I'd stick to an excursion. No more downtown MoBay for me.

Your experience may differ. You may get a different set of vendors. Who knows. Just go in informed.

IThere were several vendors that didn't take a polite "no, thank you" like previous posters have said. Some followed us around and wouldn't stop. Two men approached us and one pulled my arm in one direction and the other pulled my husband's arm in another direction, separating us. I was being directed into an unknown building and he was being directed into an alley! No way! They were not trying to sell us anything. They didn't even say anything to us. Just grabbed and pulled. We broke free and jumped a few steps ahead.

Wow!!! that would have freaked me out!!!!!!

I just returned from a week in MoBay, my second land stay there in 3 yrs. My 1st was the week in 2008 when Usain Bolt was running in the Olympics and capturing the gold - lots of great Olympic nationalistic fever then, like America when the hockey team beat the Russians in 1980. Obviously, I like the place, specifically its beaches, food, language and activities.

Someone just having a few hours in port, intent on shopping, may not have my experience - all they might encounter are a bunch of poor vendors hungry for a sale. I watched Doctor's Cave Beach fill up with day cruisers and vendors on port day (Wed), it was like sharks and baitfish, a feeding frenzy. The rest of the week, it was quiet and unassuming.

Some cruisers base their opinion of an island on the area adjacent to the dock.....For me, I've always found this to be the worst way to judge an island. For this reason, I can't stand the cookie cutter shopping malls or corrals that CCL herds its cruisers into at Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Just for me, I have to get out and about and see a hidden beach or waterfall, eat some local food and talk with some locals before I can develop a sense of what that particular port is all about.

I agree with this and I don't pay much attention to others opinions because that's what they are and I realized along time ago that my opinions are different from others more often than not. I love love love Progreso, Belize and Roatan although I have found not many other people do.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the great feedback! I guess we'll make the decision when we get to port. It is our first port of call after two days at sea so we may stay and enjoy the ship, but I'm not one to shy away from the locals either. :cool:

I totally agree with you. Sometimes you have to make the effort to find out what the place is really like. And not just in those countries that are poorer. Can you imagine flying in to any airport (Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, etc) spend part of the day just in that area around the airport, and then make your decision on whether or not you liked the city or the state itself? :)

Jamaica and Grand Cayman are two very different islands, Jamaica is a large island with wall to wall slums and pushy vendors, Grand Cayman is tiny (you can see the ocean on the other side from the Lido deck) and is wall to wall condo's with no slums. Sure there are some beautiful vistas in Jamaica, but there were also plenty of places where I was glad the tour van did not break down, but for the most part it was just depressing much like watching a "feed the children" telethon.

Jamaica and Grand Cayman are two very different islands, Jamaica is a large island with wall to wall slums and pushy vendors, Grand Cayman is tiny (you can see the ocean on the other side from the Lido deck) and is wall to wall condo's with no slums. Sure there are some beautiful vistas in Jamaica, but there were also plenty of places where I was glad the tour van did not break down, but for the most part it was just depressing much like watching a "feed the children" telethon.

Feed the Children telethon.....That is a bit harsh. No one in Jamaica is starving. Jamaica is a beautiful island. The people are warm and friendly.

Archived