King's Wharf to Tobacco Bay

karen of PA

Ferry or bus. The ferry is quicker by about 30 minutes, bus took around 90 minutes. When you get to St. Georges you will have to walk up a big hill to get to Tobacco bay which is about 1-1 1/4 miles from the ferry dock. They also have taxis to take you to the beach from the ferry dock.

Since we might have the bus pass for the day can you take a bus once you get off the ferry from Kings Warf to to Tabacco bay?

If not how much is the taxi ride to get there?

No...there's no public bus service from St. George's to Tobacco Bay. My recollection is that the shuttle (assuming it's running) was just a few dollars...sorry I can't recall exactly how much.

Since we might have the bus pass for the day can you take a bus once you get off the ferry from Kings Warf to to Tabacco bay?

If not how much is the taxi ride to get there?

As mentioned there is no bus. I usually walk unless it is a hot and humid day. It is a 15 minute walk. There is some grade. If you are not into walking there is a minibus from the town square that in past years ran $3 per person. I think a taxi is the best deal though. Taxi rate is about $7 for the taxi from the ferry dock or town square to Tobacco Bay.

DH and I tried to walk to TB on our trip . . . got directions from locals as we walked and must have misinterpreted something. We walked way too far out - went past the fort! When we did get to the beach folks said they'd paid about $7 for a taxi. Unless you want to use lots of energy by walking, save it for snorkeling and enjoy the taxi ride.

DH and I tried to walk to TB on our trip . . . got directions from locals as we walked and must have misinterpreted something. We walked way too far out - went past the fort! When we did get to the beach folks said they'd paid about $7 for a taxi. Unless you want to use lots of energy by walking, save it for snorkeling and enjoy the taxi ride.

You took a right turn instead of going to Tobacco. The sign must have confused you. As I recall from last summer the sign was a little confusing. But there is a nice beach there too. And not very crowded. Also Blackbeard's Hideaway and Fort St. Catherine. I think is a nice walk to Tobacco in June, September and October. July and August though with the heat and humidity a taxi is the best way.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I need some clarification...if I take the ferry from the Dockyard to St. Georges I will end up at the terminal which is also known as Kings Square? From there I have to take a mini bus (which is not included in transportation pass) to Tobacco Bay or walk. Can someone tell me where the Unfinished Church and Fort St. Catherine are in relation to Tobacco Bay? I've learned through research that none of these locations are accessible by public transportation. How could I include Tobacco Bay, the Unfinished Church and Fort St. Catherine on my day two itinerary? Use minibus for all three and pay each time? Walk?

To see all 3, I would suggest walking. From King's Square to Tobacco Bay is about .6 mile and you pass the Unfinished Church en route; it is about .3 mile from TB to Fort St Catherine. If a taxi were available, I would take it back to King' Square.

This may be of some help:

StGeo-alt.jpg

Thanks guys so if I walk to Tobacco Bay from Kings Square I will pass the Unfinished Church where I can stop for photo ops and then head to TB. After TB I can continue walking on to Fort St. Catherine and take a taxi back to terminal. Do you "hail" taxi's in Bermuda (sorry I'm from NYC)? About how much is a cab ride for two back to KS? Is the mini bus an option from FSC back to terminal? I've heard that the walk to TB from KS can be brutal. I don't mind as I'm a walker and like exercise I just don't know if it will be pleasant in that hot Bermuda sun.

if I walk to Tobacco Bay from Kings Square I will pass the Unfinished Church where I can stop for photo ops and then head to TB.

Yes

After TB I can continue walking on to Fort St. Catherine and take a taxi back to terminal.

Yes and there would have to be a taxi waiting.

I've heard that the walk to TB from KS can be brutal.

Yes, there is a very steep hill maybe .1-.2 mile in length starting as you approach the Unfinished Church

If the shuttle was available for the trip back, I would suggest taking it.

SBtS

we are 6 people, will it still be 7$ in total ?

Thanks guys so if I walk to Tobacco Bay from Kings Square I will pass the Unfinished Church where I can stop for photo ops and then head to TB. After TB I can continue walking on to Fort St. Catherine and take a taxi back to terminal. Do you "hail" taxi's in Bermuda (sorry I'm from NYC)? About how much is a cab ride for two back to KS? Is the mini bus an option from FSC back to terminal? I've heard that the walk to TB from KS can be brutal. I don't mind as I'm a walker and like exercise I just don't know if it will be pleasant in that hot Bermuda sun.

The walk is only unpleasant if it is hot and humid. I am a walker and hot does not bother me but hot and humid does. A taxi is about $7. So when six of us shared to Tobacco my share was about $1.25.

we are 6 people, will it still be 7$ in total ?

Yes, the fare is not per person except the rate is in two tiers. 1 to 4 and 5 to 6. We paid $7 which we shared six ways. That was four years ago so the fare may have gone up some but it is still going to be pretty cheap as it really is not that far. It is easily walkable distance but on a hot and humid day or if someone has mobility issues then that is the time to take a taxi.

Yes, the fare is not per person except the rate is in two tiers. 1 to 4 and 5 to 6. We paid $7 which we shared six ways. That was four years ago so the fare may have gone up some but it is still going to be pretty cheap as it really is not that far. It is easily walkable distance but on a hot and humid day or if someone has mobility issues then that is the time to take a taxi.

great, thanks for the info

There are maps of Kings Wharf/Dockyard area and in both Hamilton and St George.. nowhere is so big you will get lost or have a problem using them and people are very helpful there as well. Esp. at Dockyard there are tourism folks right as you leave ship who can help with questions.

Are there walking maps available for tourists at either Kings Square or the Dockyard so we will know exactly where we are walking to? Don't want to walk too far like ninkb and her hubby did :)

Have you seen this website? it provides a nice introduction to the Dockyard and has some links that will help you plan your trip.

Enjoy

http://www.thewestend.bm/

We took the ferry from Kings Wharf to Hamilton, then took the bus to the stop by Tobacco. They dont go directly there, you have to walk about a 1/4 mile. Cabs went directly there, but I dont know the cost. Heading back we took a cab to St Georges Harbour and took the Ferry back to Kings Wharf.... much quicker. Plus it was a nice ride by ferry back too.

• 4 weeks later...
To see all 3, I would suggest walking. From King's Square to Tobacco Bay is about .6 mile and you pass the Unfinished Church en route; it is about .3 mile from TB to Fort St Catherine. If a taxi were available, I would take it back to King' Square.

This may be of some help:

StGeo-alt.jpg

Hey Sailbad, what site can I find this map? I'd like to print out a more zoomed in version with the street names visible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived