Kotor: June Experience, Visuals, Fun, History, etc.

Do you recall where you enjoyed lunch in Kotor? We will be in Kotor on October 14th. Thanks, Paula

Hi, Paula! For our stop in Kotor, we took a ship tour that went way up the switchback road above the "fjord" as we traveled in the countryside and then down to another coastal town. We had our lunch at a nice place just outside of Cetinje, their old Royal Capital of Montenegro. Sorry, I don't know that name. My guess is that you are looking for a dining place inside the walled city of Kotor, right?

In looking at TripAdvisor, the reviews there are limited, but they give good marks to Konoba Catovic Mlini, but it is not right there in Kotor. You can check their website at:

http://www.catovicamlini.me

Within Kotor's main area, La Pasteria gets some mixed reviews. Some loved it, a few less so. Cesarica gets some decent reviews in the older town. Rick Steves gives good marks and suggests City Restaurant near the main church.

Does this help?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 27,859 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry. You do get around the world a lot, my friend. Good for you.

I was really interested in your comments about the bus trip you took out of Kotor. We will be going there in May (Windstar ship) and looking forward to a grand entrance to the 'fjord' (kind of reminded you of a southern Stockholm?).

I know that the bus trip took most of the day, but did you meet anyone who had taken a boat trip to the two small islands you so wonderfully pictured? I have seen pictures close-up and am intrigued to visit.

Also, if anyone is interested in details about Old town Kotor and simply walk there, here is a good site for the highlights:

http://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/kotor-old-city-walking-tour-3742.html

So many options, so little time. But we will do the best to have fun, meet some locals and make more friends around the world. Keep up the good work, Terry, and show us more pictures.

• Like 1

Hi Terry. You do get around the world a lot, my friend. Good for you.

I was really interested in your comments about the bus trip you took out of Kotor. We will be going there in May (Windstar ship) and looking forward to a grand entrance to the 'fjord' (kind of reminded you of a southern Stockholm?).

I know that the bus trip took most of the day, but did you meet anyone who had taken a boat trip to the two small islands you so wonderfully pictured? I have seen pictures close-up and am intrigued to visit.

Also, if anyone is interested in details about Old town Kotor and simply walk there, here is a good site for the highlights:

http://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/kotor...tour-3742.html

So many options, so little time. But we will do the best to have fun, meet some locals and make more friends around the world. Keep up the good work, Terry, and show us more pictures.

• Like 1

Hi Terry. You do get around the world a lot, my friend. Good for you. I was really interested in your comments about the bus trip you took out of Kotor. We will be going there in May (Windstar ship) and looking forward to a grand entrance to the 'fjord' (kind of reminded you of a southern Stockholm?). I know that the bus trip took most of the day, but did you meet anyone who had taken a boat trip to the two small islands you so wonderfully pictured? I have seen pictures close-up and am intrigued to visit. So many options, so little time. But we will do the best to have fun, meet some locals and make more friends around the world. Keep up the good work, Terry, and show us more pictures.

Appreciate, Lair Bear, the kind comments and encouragement to post more pictures, share added info, etc.

I hate to question any of your comments, BUT, I rate the sail in and sail out from Kotor as much, much more spectacular than what we saw going into Stockholm. That's nice and good in Sweden. BUT, Kotor, was, for us, super spectacular!!! Totally loved it! Very special and so scenic. We had, as the pictures detail, great weather. Plus, being the only cruise ship in port helped, too! Seeing the overall area from the higher levels helped put it all in context.

We didn't talk with anyone who went out to those two smaller islands. I'm sure it would be interesting. There are some nice smaller towns along that coastal route to get near to these two islands. Overall, our cruise tour gave us a good sampling to see a wide variety of the many options in this area. We would love to go back and I am sure the popularity for Montenegro will grow in the future.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 34,731 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, Terry. I can see, with your pictures, that the entrance to the bay and inlets must be quite spectacular.

We have tentatively decided to go to the two islands by taking a local bus to the village of Perast. It is along the shore of the large bay and opposite the two islands. I have read that there are a few people there with boats who can take you across for a couple dollars each. The village itself is also quite interesting and scenic but to visit the church on that tiny, man-made island could be one unusual trip. I understand that it took over a hundred years to complete. The second island, with the trees, is natural and has a monastery that is not open to the public.

After that short trip we would go back to Kotor to see the Old Town and if we are up to it (weather permitting) climb up to the fort for a view of the bay and Kotor.

Now I am curious if anyone, who might be reading this, has done that?????

Edited by Lair Bear

Good luck, Liar Bear, on your plan to do those two islands. I have read some nice things on the village of Perast, its history, character, charm and style. You might want to allow a little time for exploring there, too.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 34,972 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We didn't do the islands - sounds interesting.

We did climb up to the fort on a VERY hot day and had plenty of time left to explore old town. We were only in port noon until six and got off at 2:00. So, I'd at least think time wise you'd have time to do everything you posted.

We didn't do the islands - sounds interesting.

We did climb up to the fort on a VERY hot day and had plenty of time left to explore old town. We were only in port noon until six and got off at 2:00. So' date=' I'd at least think time wise you'd have time to do everything you posted.[/quote']

Thank you. That sounds encouraging. I found out about the boat trip to the islands from another forum. Several people had done this and indeed it sounded interesting. It really is a on-your-own kind of trip involving some 'negotiating' for the boat ride.

If the weather is not too hot, would the climb to the fort be very difficult? I understand that there is a fee to do that. It would be nice to get some pictures from up there, especially with the five masted Windsurf in the background.

Edited by Lair Bear

Thank you. That sounds encouraging. I found out about the boat trip to the islands from another forum. Several people had done this and indeed it sounded interesting. It really is a on-your-own kind of trip involving some 'negotiating' for the boat ride. If the weather is not too hot, would the climb to the fort be very difficult? I understand that there is a fee to do that. It would be nice to get some pictures from up there, especially with the five masted Windsurf in the background.

Hi, Lair Bear! As you note, walking to the top of the fort in Kotor will depend on the weather. We were lucky when there that the weather was great and not too hot. As added re-enforcement to some of the options in and around Perast, here are a few highlights for some of the history and background on this town and its history. You've got the trade-off/question of how much to spend in Perast versus doing more at Kotor. Good to have these options to consider.

One website notes that the principal attractions on the Bay of Kotor is the ancient village of Perast, rich in Venice-like architecture which includes sixteen Baroque palaces, seventeen Catholic churches, several important Orthodox structures and a series of nine defensive towers, all set in stone and untouched by the scourge of modern-day tourism. Earlier, I post some pictures showing some of that interesting architecture. They note that Perast was a stopping spot for the Russian Czars and Venetian Princes who for hundreds of years have frequented Kotor Bay to hone their sailing skills under the watchful gaze of abundant natural beauty. Today, it enjoys the worldly distinction as an important protected UNESCO world heritage site.

The Gulf of Kotor (Boka Kotorska) cuts deeply into the coastline of the southern part of the Yugoslav Adriatic, creating four spectacular bays ringed in mountains, the “fjords” of the Mediterranean. The little town of Perast is situated at the foot of St. Elijah Hill (873 m), opposite the narrow Verige strait, where the innermost bays of Risan and Kotor converge. The remains of a Neolithic culture (3500 BC) have been discovered in the caves of Spila above Perast and various archeological finds provide evidence of civilization dating from Illyrian, Roman and early Christian periods.

With its two jewel-like islands, Perast is focused on the sea. From the interaction between mainland and bay, the inherent contrast of stone and water, the dialogue of island and wave, sometimes in harmony but often in conflict, this sea-faring town has derived its unity, strength and sense of purpose. Despite its size, a sophisticated urban structure has arisen, demonstrated by the proportion, scale, massing and rhythm of the great number of public buildings, especially along the waterfront.

In Perast, at the end of XVII Century, the first naval school, in which the sixteen Russian aristocrats learned their sea skills, was founded. Near Perast, there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each of them has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela (originally called in venetian "Madonna dello Scarpello") is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic, with an area of 3,030 m². It was built upon a rock (Škrpjel) after two venetian sailors from Perast found a picture of the Virgin Mary on it in 1452. Venice owned the city between 1420 and 1797. Perast (called Perasto in the venetian language, spoken oficially there until the nineteenth century) was part of the Albania Veneta. The city's sixteen Baroque palaces were mostly built in this period, too, as were its seventeen Catholic churches and two Orthodox churches. The old city does not have a defensive wall, but instead it has nine defensive towers, the most important of which is the tower of the Holy Cross. These were built by the navy of the Venetian Republic in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Republic of Venice, when it had as many as four active shipyards, a fleet of around one hundred ships, and 1,643 residents. At that time the most beautiful buildings arose in this fortified town. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwelling-houses decorated the town of Perast (Perasto), full of typical venetian architecture. The population has since decreased to 430 in 1910 and around 360 today. The fleet was extinguished by the rise of the steam engine. At the fall of the "Serenissima" (1797) Perasto was the last city of the Republic to lower the Venetian flag. On 12 May 1797, the Republic of Venice ended, but a few places in the Albania Veneta for several months still continued to remain loyal to the Venetian Republic.

Will be interested in your more detailed reports from visiting in this area. Lots of interesting history there.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 35,778 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• Like 2

I always like details of places we visit and some history to go with that. You gave me that and more.

To go from Kotor to the village of Perast can be done by public bus or a taxi. Either way we will want to spend some time there as well as hiring someone to take us across to the islands. This will not be until May of next year. Hence, I won't have anything to add until then.

Still, I would think others have done this excursion and might have suggestions. I know there is a company that operates a large group boat from Kotor and I am surprised that the ship does not offer such an option.

I always like details of places we visit and some history to go with that. You gave me that and more. To go from Kotor to the village of Perast can be done by public bus or a taxi. Either way we will want to spend some time there as well as hiring someone to take us across to the islands. This will not be until May of next year. Hence, I won't have anything to add until then. Still, I would think others have done this excursion and might have suggestions. I know there is a company that operates a large group boat from Kotor and I am surprised that the ship does not offer such an option.

Glad to be of help to Lair Bear and hopefully you will pick up added info during the coming months. Lots of time for good research and planning.

My sense and educated guess on the lack of ship options is that Kotor is still a fairly new and limited port for cruise visits. Dubrovnik gets lots and lots of visits there, but Kotor receives only a smaller fraction of those numbers of ships going there. The visits and options will grow in the future, but it takes time to develop and evolve and mature as a cruise port with lots of different tour options. Also with Kotor being a tender-only port, that slows its development a little.

THANKS! Enjoy your upcoming cruise! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 35,908 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

It is a walk up a mountain on steps that aren't always even. So it isn't what I would call "easy" - but not difficult either. I'd call my activity level on a daily basis moderate (I power walk 2-4 miles most days) and made it without too much difficulty (I did stop to rest a few times). Again, we did it on a very warm day - It would be much easier on a moderate temp day.

If you are in reasonable shape (you certainly don't have to be a marathon runner!), you'll be just fine.

Have fun!

It is a walk up a mountain on steps that aren't always even. So it isn't what I would call "easy" - but not difficult either. I'd call my activity level on a daily basis moderate (I power walk 2-4 miles most days) and made it without too much difficulty (I did stop to rest a few times). Again' date=' we did it on a very warm day - It would be much easier on a moderate temp day.

If you are in reasonable shape (you certainly don't have to be a marathon runner!), you'll be just fine.

Have fun![/quote']

Thanks Liza. That was my understanding. We will see what develops in May next year.

Hey Lair Bear,

I was looking for information on how to get to Perast from Kotor by public bus. Do you happen to know where I can get such info?

Thanks!

I posed that question on another forum and here was one of the replies:

Minibuses run between Perast and Kotor and there are several during the day in both directions - you shouldn't have to wait too long. If there's no-one on the waterfront advertising boat rides (May might be a little early) go to the cafe and ask there. You can do it easily on your own without a guide.

Here is another reply:

No info on personal guides but it is an easy 30 minutes or so by bus. Bus station is 5 minutes walk from the old town.

When you get to Perast, there are a number of boats that can transfer you to the islands. Vehicles park outside the town and you walk downhill to the town, the one street is along the front of the bay. It cost €5 per person. Only one island was open to the public, the island with the church on. Pay an extra euro for entry to the church's museum, certainly worth it, and you can get a free guide to talk you through the church and museum.

You can enquire about a taxi, ask outside the old town, there were a number of taxis available for hire outside the old town when we were there.We travelled earlier this month and I guess it would be similar in May.

Edited by Lair Bear

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone found a good online map of Kotor highlights? Harry

Hi, Harry! Are you looking for the main part of the Kotor within its walled city? Travel books are a little limited for what's available on Kotor and Montenegro. Before our cruise, I searched for as much was available. The good news is that Kotor is not that large compared to Dubrovnik and other historic cities such as Venice. Not much chance of getting lost in Kotor.

Google Maps can be helpful. Have you used them previously? Below is an example for what they have to show with some of the key highlights Id'd and noted for this wonderfully charming city. You might also try Bing and its mapping options. Their 3-D map can work well for some cities. I would also try Wikipedia for added info and options.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 41,492 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From Google Maps:

GoogleMapPB.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and GREAT pictures!! We will probably go to Budva as well after seeing your lovely pictures! We are going on the shorter 4 hour tour after I saw the disclosure on the ship's tour description about the 25 hairpin turns that are included in the longer tour that includes the other stops. Maybe with less stops, we will have a little more time in Buvda and Kotor.

Thanks again!

Robin

Thanks for the advice and GREAT pictures!! We will probably go to Budva as well after seeing your lovely pictures! We are going on the shorter 4 hour tour after I saw the disclosure on the ship's tour description about the 25 hairpin turns that are included in the longer tour that includes the other stops. Maybe with less stops, we will have a little more time in Buvda and Kotor. Thanks again! Robin

Appreciate, Robin, your follow-up and kind comments. For us, that twenty-seven serpentine turn road was so great as we twisted and turned to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor. The view was totally awesome up there. Below is that view. BUT, if that's not your thing, I can understand.

Make sure you're up early for that scenic sail-in on your ship. Let me know any specific questions. Glad your planning is moving along.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 45,880 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

Does anyone have an idea how long a taxi ride from Kotor to Parast? I wonder if they would accept the euro?

It is about nine or so miles from Kotor to Perast. From our experience in Montenegro, it seems that many of the merchants and others are fairly flexible on taking euros and/or credit cards. Ask first. No idea on exact cab costs for that route. There might be some negotiations involved on exact pricing. Then, you also need to make sure there are cab options for going back. As we sailed past Perast on the ship, it seems very interesting in its architecture, class.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 46,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

After doing lots of research, including my Rick Steves guidebook, and all of the great postings on this site,I decided I will probably sign up for the ship's excursion to Kotor and Perast. They both sound wonderful, I will have more time in each town and spend less time on the bus. It is one of the few reasonably priced ship's excursions. I found it interesting that Rick Steves has lots in information on Montenegro in his book called

Rick Steves Croatia and Slovenia.....go figure!

thanks to all for all the great pictures and info!

Robin

• Like 1

Montenegro (Kotor, Budva) was a part of Yugoslavia until 2006 along with Koper (Slovenia) Dubrovnik(Croatia) and many other ports so it's not surprising that it's in Rick Steves book. It was disappointing that Kotor was not in his Mediterranean Ports book.

Appreciate, Robin, your follow-up and kind comments. For us, that twenty-seven serpentine turn road was so great as we twisted and turned to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor. The view was totally awesome up there. Below is that view. BUT, if that's not your thing, I can understand.

I don't mind hairpin turns, as long as I'm not in the front passenger seat of a car, and the one overlooking the edge!

I checked out Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia from the library to read about Montenegro. Celebrity hasn't released their shore excursions for our May Italy & Croatia cruise, but I am still leaning towards the 7-hour tour Terry took.