Kotor: June Experience, Visuals, Fun, History, etc.

Agree. The trip to Budva is fairly flat along the shore. Budva is a beautiful Venetian city. A complete contrast to Kotor.

Traveling Sue: Kirk' date=' We are stopping in Kotor on Oct 23 on the Legend of the Seas. We would like to do a private tour of Kotor and Budva but having trouble finding any. Who are you using for your tour? Thanks, Sue [/quote']

YES! Am with Kirk on the interesting contrast of Budva versus Kotor. Super glad we were able to see both. Wish we had more time in both. Good reason to go back, again.

For Sue, Kotor is still fairly new in developing its tourism infrastructure. Not as well-developed as its neighbor of Dubrovnik. Therefore, it can be a little more challenging in finding and lining up some of the private tours desired. Keep plugging and researching. We did an all-day ship tour in June 2011 that worked pretty well and at a fairly reasonable price. I think those costs have gone up. Somewhat like what we did for now in 2013, would be Grand Montenegro Tour KV14 at around $119 for the seven-hour tour with Celebrity. That's about double what it cost us two years ago.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,742 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you Kirk for the info. I too was just going to stroll around, but then I saw the two other towns to see, and I think that if I don't get a private tour I will take the cruise tour at $119 pp. Thank you again!

Robert

Terry, enjoyed your review and photos of Kotor!

I'm hoping to do a cruise next year which stops there. Before seeing your thread, was not to excited about what little I had read but your photos and notes have really increased my interest in this stop.

Just curious....I've read your posts for a number of years here on CC. If I can pry, just wondering if you're still working in the cruise industry and for who?

Appreciate your nice comments on my photos and Kotor info. YES, getting up above Kotor provides some great views. I would strongly encourage doing more than just walking around Kotor. The picture from up there was not taken from Budva. It was at the top of the zig-zag, back-and-forth road that goes up, up the 4000' high mountain above this scenic location. We went this route on the way to the old Royal capital of Montenegro.

Budva is a nearby shore/fortress city that is over a mountain or two down the coast. Does this help clarify? Added questions?

So you're saying we won't get the spectacular view of port if we only do the Budva tour? In other words, the zig-zag road is not part of the Budva tour?

We're now considering the Highlights tour through Celebrity for $99.

Edited by cadburysmom

So you're saying we won't get the spectacular view of port if we only do the Budva tour? In other words, the zig-zag road is not part of the Budva tour?

We're now considering the Highlights tour through Celebrity for $99.

Is this a good one? I was looking for a private tour for Kotor. Maybe we can put one together? Let me know or we will just do the Cruiseship tour. I heard private tours are better

• 5 weeks later...
Terry, enjoyed your review and photos of Kotor! I'm hoping to do a cruise next year which stops there. Before seeing your thread, was not to excited about what little I had read but your photos and notes have really increased my interest in this stop. Just curious....I've read your posts for a number of years here on CC. If I can pry, just wondering if you're still working in the cruise industry and for who?

Appreciate your nice comments. NO! Sorry, don't work for the cruise industry, nor never have. Might be nice, but just working away in Central Ohio. Glad to have increased your interest in this stop.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,249 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

So you're saying we won't get the spectacular view of port if we only do the Budva tour? In other words, the zig-zag road is not part of the Budva tour? We're now considering the Highlights tour through Celebrity for $99.

therobe71: We're now considering the Highlights tour through Celebrity for $99. Is this a good one? I was looking for a private tour for Kotor. Maybe we can put one together? Let me know or we will just do the Cruiseship tour. I heard private tours are better

For us' date=' the route from Budva back to Kotor did not go high, HIGH to give the super, wonderful views over Kotor and its large, fjord-like setting. You'll get some views in going to Budva, but not at the super star levels as we got in going to their old, Royal capital.

On private tour, yes, maybe, they could be better, IF and IF. [b']So much depends on the market/port, what you desire and can afford, etc.[/b] In some cases, especially in a port such as Kotor, the ship tours were priced at a more reasonable level compared to in other ports. The big plus with a private tour is that they generally involve a much smaller group, allowing more time to have a conversation with your guide, learn more, etc. BUT, private tours, generally, cost more and are harder/more involved to set-up, arrange, etc. Always trade-offs. Never an easy, simple answer that fits all ports and situations equally and perfectly.

Ask more of your ship excursion staff about the pro/con's for the different tours, how they are paced and set-up, etc. Not always will the staff know these types of details, but many times they can be helpful in talking through the options to best fit your needs and interest. Asking is good!!

Venice might be one of your key stops. If so, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 23,710 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• 3 months later...

From the Daily Mail in London last month, they have this headline: "The rise of Montenegro: Chic resorts and fine scenery in Europe's new holiday haven" with these highlights: "This country of just 600,000 people and seven years (it only became a state in its own right in 2006) packs a punch bigger than its size. Sandwiched between Croatia (to the west), Bosnia and Herzegovina (to the north), Serbia and Kosovo (to the east) and Albania (to the south), Montenegro sounds – in terms of geography – like a distant refugee from behind the Iron Curtain. In fact, it sits just across the Adriatic Sea from central Italy, lapped by the same warm waves that touch Abruzzo. Montenegro is aiming to attract tourists to the new developments that are starting to appear on its shoreline. Kotor Bay, which is on the Unesco World Heritage list, is a dramatically beautiful inlet where fishing settlements such as Prcanj cling to steep escarpments, the red roofs of squat houses bright in the sun. Squint, and the whole picture is like a glorious marriage between the fjords of northern Europe and a more rustic version of the Italian Lakes. Until recently, the easiest way to reach Kotor Bay was via a 90-minute drive from Dubrovnik. It is also one of the few docking enclaves on European waters that can cope with the super-yachts favoured by the likes of the Russian billionaire. For now, any visit to Kotor Bay should include as much time as possible on the water – all the locals have a little vessel for trips to the shops. Montenegro – a country without a single McDonald's or Starbucks – is ripe for exploration, even before Lustica Bay and other new developments are up and running."

This is an interesting update with many nice insights on Kotor and nearby. Lots of pictures are attached with this posting. We enjoyed this area very much and this story brings back nice memories. Would like to head back here in the future to see its growth and improvements.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2412144/Montenegro-holidays-Changing-times-Kotor-Bay.html

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 17,764 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 143,782 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 5 months later...

I will be in Kotor at the beginning of May and would like to see some of the sights without a tour. I'm considering taking a bus to Perast upon arrival and then taking a boat to see the Church of Our Lady of the Rocks, then taking the bus back to Kotor, where we will climb the wall/fortress and then spend time just roaming the old town. Does this sound like a reasonable way to spend the port stop (8am-5pm)? I read the bus ride should last 20 minutes or so each way. Any suggestions for things that shouldn't be missed and will fit into a short port stay would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I will be in Kotor at the beginning of May and would like to see some of the sights without a tour. I'm considering taking a bus to Perast upon arrival and then taking a boat to see the Church of Our Lady of the Rocks, then taking the bus back to Kotor, where we will climb the wall/fortress and then spend time just roaming the old town. Does this sound like a reasonable way to spend the port stop (8am-5pm)? I read the bus ride should last 20 minutes or so each way. Any suggestions for things that shouldn't be missed and will fit into a short port stay would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Your general plan sounds like a good one. For early May, there should not be too many other ships in port. BUT, you should also consider a "Plan B" in the event that the weather is marginal, your ship gets delayed, etc. Don't forget, hopefully, some time to walk around in the walled town of Kotor. Nice and charming. Good luck!!

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 44,967 views for this fun posting.

Hi Terry, Thank you for your reply! Do you have any suggestions for "plan B" or any other suggestions based upon your experience in Kotor?

Appreciate your good follow-up question. For a "Plan B", I would look at what the cruise ship offers. In June 2011, those cruise ship options were fairly reasonably priced. As the Kotor tourism business is just developing (compared to the more established market for Dubrovnik), that helped us get good value in doing the all-day tour. This included to seeing the old Royal Capital of Montenegro. Ship tours are not always perfect and ideal, but they can be beneficial in making the logistics better, lessening worries to do such set-ups, etc. Good luck!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 137,875 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 year later...

Posted this key recognition for Kotor in a separate thread on this CC Board, but thought I would be it here, too, for future reference was people search to consider their many potentials for visiting this area in the future.

From Lonely Planet, their publication just came out and ranked Botswana as the 'it' country, with Transylvania in Romania as their best region and Kotor, Montenegro, as their best city. They noted that if you are looking to stretch your dollar on your vacation, Lonely Planet gave their top recommendations as best for value as: 1. Estonia. 2. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi in Vietnam. 3. East Africa. Lots of very good options for future travel!!

From the NBC Today Show, they summarized this recognition from Lonely Planet: "Kotor, Montenegro, was named the No. 1 one city of 2016 for its tasty food, charming alleyways, and postcard-worthy views. 'With its dramatic landscapes, historic city walls and much-loved, stunning sapphire bay, Kotor deserves to be recognized and we believe it is a must-see for any traveler,. 2016 is the time to see this stunning city — get there while you can still experience its traditional way of life.' "

As noted/linked below, we super loved our time in Kotor, including getting up high, HIGH above this city in such a spectacular setting. Plus, being in and walking around in the charming walled city itself. Below are a couple of my visual samples. Many more with my full posting below.

Full stories at:

http://www.today.com/money/lonely-planets-top-travel-destinations-2016-include-transylvania-kotor-t53016

http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-trb-lonely-planet-2016-travel-20151101-story.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/botswana-tops-lonely-planets-list-of-best-places-to-visit-in-2016-a6710751.html

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,337 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail newspaper yesterday, they have this headline: "Beauty in the Balkans: Montenegro is cheaper and less crowded than the French Riviera".

Here are some of the story highlights: "When it comes to luxury, Montenegro has a lot to offer. I find myself staring at the Aman Sveti Stefan resort, which may be as close to Heaven as you can come without leaving the physical world. It’s a former fishing village: a cluster of houses on a rock, moored to the mainland by a slender isthmus. Terracotta rooftops add a splash of colour to the scene. Film star Sophia Loren was a regular in the Sixties. The resort is so beautiful that it is almost a shame to stay there — because it means you cannot gaze at it. Built in 1934 as a residence for Queen Maria of Yugoslavia — and later a retreat for the country’s authoritarian leader Josip Tito — it perches on the shore as a discreet part of the Aman enclave. Though the Yugoslavian kings and queens have gone, guests here are still treated like royalty. So why, if it is so wonderful, is Montenegro not better known? For two reasons. First, the Balkan wars in the Nineties drove away tourists. Second, the country is still young. It declared independence from Serbia only in 2006, meaning it has not had much time to develop a profile as a destination. But it is working on this. Money has poured in, resulting in luxury developments such as Porto Montenegro — a marina designed for the super-rich and their super-yachts."

This story lists:

LOCAL KNOWLEDGE

Montenegro, meaning black mountain, takes its name from the dark forests that cover the country. Its tallest peak is a lofty 8,274ft (2,522m).

For anyone in search of a more affordable holiday, the Bay of Kotor is a priceless jewel that sparkles for free — an enormous fjord surrounded by granite hills.

Its furthest corner provides the setting for the tiny medieval town of Kotor, whose image, reflected on the water — with Sveti Ivan castle above — is one of Europe’s most magical sights.

Together with this story, the pictures, etc., there is a nice video on Kotor and touring its historic, walled area. Bring back nice memories!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-3374564/Beauty-Balkans-Montenegro-cheaper-crowded-French-Riviera-knows-glamour-Sophia-Loren-spent-summers-there.html

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 33,901 views for these postings.

• 2 months later...
Beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting them.

Appreciate these very nice comments and those who have dropped by this thread to check out my "eye-candy" from our visiting and touring in and nearby to Kotor.

To update for those also seeking and interested in other exciting visuals and different locations, we are back safely from four weeks in South Africa, Botswana, etc.

We enjoyed great sights, many safari/animal experiences and wonderful adventure times!! Lots of pictures on my live/blog and this trip detailing can be seen at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now over 10,300 views for this reporting that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, etc., etc.

Ohio was not too bad for the time while we traveled below the Equator this year, but the weather for these southern parts of Africa was much warmer and sunnier than what we would have experienced in the Midwest during these challenging winter periods.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

Now at 36,807 views for these postings.

Thanks for posting all of these! They are beautiful and made me more excited about the stop in Kotor on my upcoming cruise, which is good as I've been pretty "meh" about it. Italy I am psyched for - I love Italy. Kotor I have honestly never heard of before booking this cruise and though I have an excursion booked (I think very much like the one you took, though mine is shorter) I have kept toying with just staying on board that day. Reading this and looking at the pictures decreases that thought a little.

I know we don't have an early sail-in though as we don't anchor until like 1pm.

Thanks for posting all of these! They are beautiful and made me more excited about the stop in Kotor on my upcoming cruise, which is good as I've been pretty "meh" about it. Italy I am psyched for - I love Italy. Kotor I have honestly never heard of before booking this cruise and though I have an excursion booked (I think very much like the one you took, though mine is shorter) I have kept toying with just staying on board that day. Reading this and looking at the pictures decreases that thought a little. I know we don't have an early sail-in though as we don't anchor until like 1pm.

Appreciate, Beth, your follow-up and kind comments. Glad you are learning more on Kotor and the options there. Definitely do more than just being on the ship. It is a very special and scenic area!!! Although your ship does not anchor till 1 pm, there will be much to see BOTH during the sail in and during the sailing out through these scenic regions. Let me know any added questions.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 138,105 views for this posting.

Thanks for posting all of these! They are beautiful and made me more excited about the stop in Kotor on my upcoming cruise, which is good as I've been pretty "meh" about it. Italy I am psyched for - I love Italy. Kotor I have honestly never heard of before booking this cruise and though I have an excursion booked (I think very much like the one you took, though mine is shorter) I have kept toying with just staying on board that day. Reading this and looking at the pictures decreases that thought a little.

I know we don't have an early sail-in though as we don't anchor until like 1pm.

Don't stay onboard! But you don't need an excursion either. If you don't anchor to 1 pm you should just be on deck while coming in. The walled city of Montenegro is charming. At the very least take a stroll through the cobblestone streets

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much to TLCOhio. I've diligently read all your comments (and loved the photos) in preparation for two stops at Kotor on back to back Med Cruises next month. Your energy for the destination is inspiring and help sort what appeals to me. Thanks again - your thread seems to live on forever - 5 years and still going. Well done, yours cands.

Thanks so much to TLCOhio. I've diligently read all your comments (and loved the photos) in preparation for two stops at Kotor on back to back Med Cruises next month. Your energy for the destination is inspiring and help sort what appeals to me. Thanks again - your thread seems to live on forever - 5 years and still going. Well done, yours cands.

Appreciate, cands, for your posting and kind comments. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

Happy to know you have two stops in Kotor. That gives you lots of flexibility. Hopefully in your visits there, this port will not be too busy with other cruise ships.

Since you are from Adelaide, I have to say "THANKS" for hosting us in early 2014. Liked your town and area very much as we stopped there before and after visiting amazing Kangaroo Island. Nice, new airport that you have!! From just a couple years+ ago, my live/blog for Australia and New Zealand has proved very popular. Much of the credit goes to those two great countries, their wonderful scenery and people!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 151,911 views for this posting.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread, some lovely pictures Terry, and some thoughtful information. And Tony your video of the trek to the fort is certainly fulfilling.

However I think it has made us realise it may be a bit to much for us.

People, Is there enough in Kotor to walk about and explore for a few hours with a stop or two in the cafes there.

I know there is the main square to visit and cathredral and some scenic walks amongst the town.

Is there enough to do and explore without the walk up to the old fort or visiting Perast or Budva?

Or do we seriously need to look at these options?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great thread, some lovely pictures Terry, and some thoughtful information. And Tony your video of the trek to the fort is certainly fulfilling.

However I think it has made us realise it may be a bit to much for us.

People, Is there enough in Kotor to walk about and explore for a few hours with a stop or two in the cafes there.

I know there is the main square to visit and cathredral and some scenic walks amongst the town.

Is there enough to do and explore without the walk up to the old fort or visiting Perast or Budva?

Or do we seriously need to look at these options?

The walled old city is wonderful, just a short walk from the dock, plenty to do right there, food, shops, etc.

What a great thread, some lovely pictures Terry, and some thoughtful information. I think it has made us realise it may be a bit to much for us. People, Is there enough in Kotor to walk about and explore for a few hours with a stop or two in the cafes there. I know there is the main square to visit and cathredral and some scenic walks amongst the town. Is there enough to do and explore without the walk up to the old fort or visiting Perast or Budva? Or do we seriously need to look at these options?

DarSee: The walled old city is wonderful' date=' just a short walk from the dock, plenty to do right there, food, shops, etc. [/quote']

Appreciate these great follow-ups. YES, it is a wonderful question as to how much (or how little) to do in and around Kotor.

In my view, there are several factors to consider:

1. BEFORE/AFTER??: What stops do you have either before or after Kotor? If your days before and/or after Kotor are sea-days or lighter, it makes things much easier to "push yourself" to do much more for this area.

2. PERSONAL STYLE/APPROACH??: Our view is that we can always "rest up" after our sea/travel "adventures". We like to push ourselves to see and do more, especially in unique and different areas that we are not as likely to be able to get back to visit in the future.

3. DUBROVNIK COMPARISON??: From our ship, the music conductor traveled with us in our group as did a more active day in and around Montenegro. One of his experienced comments was important and it is good to share here. He called Kotor . . . "a miniature Dubrovnik"!! Good point/thought to consider. How much and what you do in Dubrovnik might impact how much or how little you seek to do in Kotor. We got to sample and explore Kotor. Enjoyed it. BUT, for us, we were glad we got to see their old royal capital, Budva, the views from high above this scenic bay, etc., etc.

Personal choice!! Nice to have these options and consider them ahead.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 20,504 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Appreciate these great follow-ups. YES, it is a wonderful question as to how much (or how little) to do in and around Kotor.

Personal choice!! Nice to have these options and consider them ahead.

Thanks Terry, useful points to consider. Time to do more research and consider our options. I did this little map of Kotor of points to try and help with this.

Thinking about it now and the time we have here. Perhaps walking through the town before a trip to Budva could work for us.

Is there anything I'm missing which is glaringly obvious?

160ca66b72c51821097d075990336bdf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Terry, useful points to consider. Time to do more research and consider our options. I did this little map of Kotor of points to try and help with this. Thinking about it now and the time we have here. Perhaps walking through the town before a trip to Budva could work for us. Is there anything I'm missing which is glaringly obvious?

Appreciate your posting of this helpful map. Yes, keep doing your research and planning. That's important!! Clearly, each traveler need to think ahead as to what they want to do, how they seek to explore and focus on this area that has so many different good options and potentials. Do wait till the day you arrive here to consider your many and varied options.

Now at 44,022 views for these postings.